Do you think Urabrask is really dead?

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 months ago

The March of the Machine story saw Urabrask, the red-aligned praetor of New Phyrexia, captured and dismembered by Elesh Norn due to his rebellion. The last we saw of him, Elesh was walking away from him and quoting his own words back to him ironically, while Urabrask was still conscious.

Now, from a narrative perspective, having a character heavily injured but alive die offscreen would be unexpected in an unsatisfying way, but I guess I don't really put any bad decision past Magic Story - not that they constantly make bad decisions, but that they've done so in so many different ways, probably due to competing ideas and corporate intervention. At the same time, all of Phyrexia's other forces have essentially been deleted with extreme prejudice, with four of the other five praetors dead. With New Phyrexia itself consigned to phased-out nonexistence, that could spell the end for Urabrask as well.

So, do you think he's still alive? If so, what storylines could the apparent last of the Phyrexians be used in?
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 4 months ago

WOTC doesn't give two f*&$s about what creates a satisfying narrative. Remember that beautiful character development between Jace and Vraska in the original Ixalan set? Where they create a truly emotional bond that was logical and intuitive? And then they resolved that offscreen? Yeah. I'm still bitter about it.

I'd wager Urabrask is probably still alive because they'll eventually need a way to bring Phyrexia back to the main storyline. And since Urabrask was always characterized as a rebel, I doubt he was exposed to whatever nano-technology nonsense Jin-Gitaxias and Elesh Norn did to metaphysically connect all Phyrexian oil together so they could all be deleted at once.

If he was to reappear, I'd guess he'd probably appear in the Tarkir set? There's a lot of individualism and independence represented with the Dragons which he'd have an affinity for (I think).

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 4 months ago

As a door nail.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 4 months ago

Merciless Repurposing

My reading is 'no limbs but otherwise fine'. It's possible he was later killed offscreen, or that the general 'Phyrexians turn off because of Elesh Norn' took him out... but I assume he'll show up again whenever New Phyrexia phases back in (which tooooootally won't ever happen winkwinknudgenudge).

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 4 months ago

For context this what was said about the singel;
"Suppose you're New Phyrexia. You're going to compleat thousands of people in short order. What's the best way to keep in contact with them?" Saheeli had asked them.

"Some kind of signal," answered Kaya. "A call only they can hear."

Saheeli nodded. "Just so. But what will you use to carry your signal? What unifies all Phyrexians?"

"Oil?" ventured Chandra.

"That's right. Maybe that's why they're so intent on spreading it—to amplify whatever signal they were spreading in the first place. Now that Phyrexia's left the Multiverse, they've gone out of range. The oil keeps listening for new orders but isn't receiving any. Why's that? Well, there are a host of possible answers all worthy of study. However, in my expert opinion, I think all of it was tied back to Norn. A megalomaniac of that scale wouldn't want anyone else to have control over her army. I imagine she was the only one who could send orders—and, further, that the oil is rendered inert without her. Wouldn't want a rival seizing control when you've lost contact, would you? So, without her . . ."
And the planeswalker guide has this;
Some seedpods are specialized surgical compleation units called cocoons. Once a non-Phyrexian being has been thoroughly infiltrated by glistening oil, it's dragged into a cocoon, which seals around them and replaces any organic parts with machine ones. Compleation is quick and messy. These newly compleated beings are called converts or neophytes to distinguish them from the original "pure" Phyrexians
So to me the signal was more so used for the convert phyrexians as part of the wide scale quick and sloppy compleation process and as such I think most of the "pure" phyrexians aren't controlled by the signal and could act as the "rivals" who might try to take over mid-invasion.

That said I think all the praetors are died, similar to Yawgmoth and with them the second breed of phyrexians and if we get a 3rd breed of phyrexians they will be a new kind (in the way New Phyrexian is different from Old) and likely with a new leader. Two things I could see is;

-Some phyrexians might still be around, we don't know where Jace is for example.

-As with Rona we might see some new new phyrexians emerge from people who "liked" phyrexia and will use the left over tech to compleate themselves.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 4 months ago

benjameenbear wrote:
4 months ago
WOTC doesn't give two f*&$s about what creates a satisfying narrative. Remember that beautiful character development between Jace and Vraska in the original Ixalan set? Where they create a truly emotional bond that was logical and intuitive? And then they resolved that offscreen? Yeah. I'm still bitter about it.

The seeds planted in Ixalan are still being sown with it being a major plot point and part of the ending of the phyrexian arc. It was the "downfall" of jace played ap art even further in theri stories after compleation

The Fluff
Le fou, c'est moi

Post by The Fluff » 4 months ago

we never saw him get executed like Sheoldred. If WoTC thinks it's profitable to bring him back, he will appear again in a few years.

and I think Urabrask combat form during the war is cool. He looks like a sleek red xenomorph with a blade in each arm.
also wondering, if they do decide to bring him back... I hope they don't change his personality and attitude towards mirrans.
AnimEVO 2020 - EFZ Tournament (english commentary) // Clearing 4 domain with Qiqi
want to play a uw control deck in modern, but don't have Jace or snapcaster? please come visit us at the Emeria thread

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 3 months ago

what i can tell you is this.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
1. Vorinclex is the most likely to still be alive because of how he work with the tangle of resurrection this was even confirmed someplace

2. Urabrask parts were left in the dark so easily a random phyrexian in red could easily end up rebuilding him.

3. it depend if sheoldred is truely dead or not. but it doesn't matter even if dead one of the other black thanes are likely taking over sheoldreds spot as the praetor position of the thanes.

so new phyrexia is atleast

there may be second in commands still alive in the colors since the only praetors we know for sure truely dead (karn pretty much disintegrated elesh norn and jin gitaxias was eaten by his own newts)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Lore”