Sasaya, Forest Squared

Tryno
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Tryno » 4 years ago

Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

This was first made by ISBPathfinder, but I wanted to take a shot at it. My version is more oriented towards shuffling the deck and using top deck manipulation to get enough draw/value. Afterwards the goal is to use a mana sink to buff a creature to go over the top of defenders, or make tokens to go around and/or over.
Last edited by Tryno 4 years ago, edited 10 times in total.

Authored
CommanderIdentity
Erebos
Taii Wakeen
Magda
Sidar Jabari

Co-Authored
CommanderIdentity
Anje

Tryno

Thought VesselPir's Whim: Pir's Whim does the same thing as Thought Vessel (it grabs Reliquary Tower), but offers more flexibility to grab other utility lands, while breaking my opponent's artifacts and enchantments.
Omnath, Locus of ManaGenesis Wave: Omnath was cool, but I was doing disgusting things without banking mana.
Nylea, Keen-EyedChord of Calling: Before I flip my commander, she isn't that amazing. Chord of Calling lets me grab Oracle, who is just bonkers with all of the shuffles I am running.
Farhaven ElfWurmcalling: Ramp weenies haven't been as good, Oracle with top deck shenneghans is where I want to live mostly. Wurmcalling will allow for more late game finishers.
ForestWinding Canyon: People kind of hate me generating obscene amounts of mana. This will let me replay my commander while floating mana, and I will most likely still be able to flip her (As I likely flipped her the previous turn)
Wood ElvesUlvenwald Hydra: I was having a lot of issues with flying/trample. Ulvenwald grabs utility lands and handles this, while also being a good beater.
Last edited by Tryno 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Authored
CommanderIdentity
Erebos
Taii Wakeen
Magda
Sidar Jabari

Co-Authored
CommanderIdentity
Anje

lvg
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by lvg » 4 years ago

I'm also thinking about building a Sasaya deck. Mine will be much more budget though as I see it as just a fun deck to pull out once in a while. So no oracle for me. As such my deck will not be focusing on the top of the deck as much. My big problem has been in goldfishing to have enough action once I flip. You are better setup to avoid this with all of the topdeck manipulation, however your land count does seem fairly low. Do you struggle with flipping her?

Some considerations

Nantuko cultivator Great to play when you have just flipped to get a bunch of fresh cards.
Life from the loam I'm not running it as I want to keep this low budget but this could be really potent with cycling lands and fetches.
Hermit druid[/card Guaranteed land draw every turn. Nice to use him in a fair way for once.
[card]Tireless tracker
Great draw engine.

The 1 mana land tutors are a little meh. I think the artifacts that have the effect are better. They are pricier as they cost mana to activate but they sort of let you cheat on your max handsize before you have your reliquary tower. Use them on the turn you want to flip.

Tryno

lvg wrote:
4 years ago
your land count does seem fairly low. Do you struggle with flipping her?
I haven't had any issues, there are times I don't play my land drop for a turn though, but this doesn't happen often. I am also running a lot of search for lands to hand. I know deck thinning isn't a big thing, but I would treat the 1 mana soceries that search for a land as land drops also so my land count is closer to 50 (with Lay of the Land and District Guide effects).
lvg wrote:
4 years ago
Nantuko cultivator Great to play when you have just flipped to get a bunch of fresh cards.
Life from the loam I'm not running it as I want to keep this low budget but this could be really potent with cycling lands and fetches.
Hermit druid Guaranteed land draw every turn. Nice to use him in a fair way for once.
Tireless tracker Great draw engine.
I will need to consider Nantuko Cultivator. I guess my issue with him, is he isn't useful until after you flip. Flipping your commander is hard enough as it is, so having him as a dead card until then seems a little rough.

Life from the Loam: I'm not really ditching a bunch of cards into the graveyard, so while this has scenarios where it would be solid, I am not sure how it would play without deck support. I will keep my eyes on this card.

Hermit Druid is a really solid card, I am just worried that he has such a large profile and lacks haste. I prefer Thaumatic Compass effects because I can activate them immediately.

Tireless Tracker is a card I didn't think about... That I need to make space for immediately. Draw is difficult for this deck so anything I can do to get more is great.
lvg wrote:
4 years ago
The 1 mana land tutors are a little meh. I think the artifacts that have the effect are better. They are pricier as they cost mana to activate but they sort of let you cheat on your max handsize before you have your reliquary tower. Use them on the turn you want to flip.
I completely disagree. The 1 mana tutors are amazing with the top deck shenanigans, they let you cheaply shuffle, while getting you a card you care about. As far as the artifact effects, the only ones I see that are cost effective is Armillary Sphere which is similar to Peregrination but can happen earlier. I should likely find space for this.

Changes as a result of our conversation
Kenrith's TransformationPilgrim's Eye: Kenrith's is a good card, I am eyeing my 1 mana sorceries but felt that they do too much to get rid of quite yet and need to test them more.
Boundless RealmsArmillary Sphere: Boundless does obscene things, but it feels really win more. Sphere will add a lot of consistency to flip the commander
ForestTireless Tracker: With the addition of more land tutors, I feel safe trimming one forest to add more draw.

Authored
CommanderIdentity
Erebos
Taii Wakeen
Magda
Sidar Jabari

Co-Authored
CommanderIdentity
Anje

lvg
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by lvg » 4 years ago

Tryno wrote:
4 years ago
Hermit Druid is a really solid card, I am just worried that he has such a large profile and lacks haste. I prefer Thaumatic Compass effects because I can activate them immediately.
lvg wrote:
4 years ago
I completely disagree. The 1 mana tutors are amazing with the top deck shenanigans, they let you cheaply shuffle, while getting you a card you care about. As far as the artifact effects, the only ones I see that are cost effective is Armillary Sphere which is similar to Peregrination but can happen earlier. I should likely find space for this.
Just wanted to touch on these two suggestions again. Hermit druid has a bit of reputation I agree, but people should be able to easily see that this deck doesn't aim to dump the entire deck in the graveyard. Yes, he lacks haste but he also costs a lot less mana.

In your deck the 1 mana searchers make a lot more sense, for my version they would just be mana inefficient lands. I just want to make a case for Renegade map, traveler's amulet etc. They also give you a shuffle but let you cheat on hand size. While goldfishing I would sometimes be forced to discard to handsize. These artifacts effectively let you keep one of your lands on the battlefield to crack on your flip turn or eot before the turn you plan to flip Sasaya. In your list they allow you to have an extra shuffle effect available on the battlefield.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

A few thoughts:

I also like the idea of Hermit Druid. I could see it being a little slow potentially later but this deck probably dies early or does its thing so I think worrying about the turn 10 draw card X concern might be mitigated by people's pure fury of how much mana you can potentially make. I sort of view this deck as a "do its thing or die by turn 8" kind of a deck.

I REALLY dislike Attune with Aether, Caravan Vigil, Lay of the Land, Open the Gates, Traverse the Ulvenwald. They give you no card advantage and while they are cheap shuffles you have a ton of those already. Beyond that you are omitting several card advantage searches that could help you flip the commander and hit your land drops because of these. How do you not have Sprouting Vines in your list for instance but you have all of these? Casing Sprouting Vines on an opponents turn to get 2-4 lands to hand should be SUPER easy. The fact that you get to get those lands during an opponents turn also helps get past max hand size issues for a turn to potentially push for an easy commander flip.

Oblivion Stone might be a touch slow. I say this from the standpoint that by the time you can cast and pop it in a turn you might have already flipped your commander. I could see swapping it out for Boompile from the standpoint that its active much sooner and even with its chances to fail, its a pain in the ass to play around for opponents.

Kozilek might be slow from the standpoint that by the time you can cast it, you probably have already flipped but draw 4 with a decent body isn't the same level as like..... make 30 sapprolings if you ask me.

Planar Bridge - I guess the question offhand is what is the best card in your deck if you could have that. Its possible that adding Seedborn Muse would be the other half of adding bridge because if you flip your commander and hit a bridge + tutor for seedborn that would be nuts. I am not sure that Seedborn is worth doing though since its more of an enabler for something else but I could see this taking off and doing crazy things.

Realms Uncharted - it might be a thing from the standpoint that its 3 mana get two lands to hand. I could see adding a snow forest or two just to add more targets for this without throwing all your special lands away.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Tryno

Changes
Forest Fabled Passage: I am adding a crucible package.
Forest Wooded Foothills: I am adding a crucible package.
Forest Windswept Heath: I am adding a crucible package.
Forest Misty Rainforest: I am adding a crucible package.
Forest Verdant Catacombs: I am adding a crucible package.
Attune with AetherCrucible of Worlds: Crucible of Worlds with fetch lands plays well with top deck shenneghanry while also help me get my lands drops.
Caravan VigilHermit Druid: I think I am under-valueing this card and adding it with a Crucible package seems like a solid choice
Lay of the LandSprouting Vines: I can't read, this card is insane
Open the GatesKenrith's Transformation: I was foolish to take this out
Traverse the UlvenwaldLife from the Loam: With the addition of Crucible of worlds and using the graveyard to shuffle as well, this can help us rip out three lands from the graveyard.
Sakura-Tribe ElderRealms Uncharted: With the removal of Wood Elves creatures I feel like Sakura fills a similar roll.
Gatecreeper VineHorizon Spellbomb: While I like Gatecreeper Vine's effect. He has defender so it is difficult to pump him and swing like I can with District Guide
Kozilek, Butcher of TruthTooth and Nail: More tutor for the tutor gods, also helps end the game more effectively than Koizliek for roughly the same mana.
Kamahl, Fist of KrosaRamunap Excavator: Kamahl is just there for the pump, and in general Nemata, Grove Guardian does his job better. Adding Ramaunap for Crucible of Worlds that is tutor-able with creature tutors.

Authored
CommanderIdentity
Erebos
Taii Wakeen
Magda
Sidar Jabari

Co-Authored
CommanderIdentity
Anje

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”