Flavor First- Chulane the Dungeon Master

FenrirRex
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by FenrirRex » 4 years ago

One of my ongoing projects is approaching various, typically popular, commanders from a flavor perspective and building top down.

Now, look at Chulane, Teller of Tales and tell me that he doesn't look like he's about to run some people through the most ridiculous Dungeons and Dragons session they'll ever experience.

I need your help here, however, as are less your typical DM colors- you see more terrible traps and plane-threatening monstrosities in . The deck, ideally, is interactive, runs fairly innocuous punisher mechanics (Comeuppance, for example), and otherwise simulates the experience of being a "good guy" Dungeon Master (I.E. not trying to stax out or combo the "players" at the table and make them miserable).

In true D&D fashion, we also want the wincons to be cool, splashy cards that a traditional adventuring party might overcome. Sandwurm Convergence is the first card that sprang to mind, as this is the kind of big dumb threat that presents itself as a one-card win condition with some controlling elements.

What cards do you think should be in this Dungeon Master's arsenal?

Brainstorming:
Last edited by FenrirRex 4 years ago, edited 11 times in total.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kirkusjones » 4 years ago

I built something along these lines with Angus Mackenzie a couple of years ago. Lots of group hug, Aluren and a few counterspells to intervene if someone was trying to combo off too early. It was fun when it worked, but could be super boring when it didn't.

Choosing cards that walk the line between "encourage the pod to play as a team to solve a problem" and making you the archenemy is tough.

FenrirRex

kirkusjones wrote:
4 years ago
I built something along these lines with Angus Mackenzie a couple of years ago. Lots of group hug, Aluren and a few counterspells to intervene if someone was trying to combo off too early. It was fun when it worked, but could be super boring when it didn't.

Choosing cards that walk the line between "encourage the pod to play as a team to solve a problem" and making you the archenemy is tough.
Such is definitely the primary concern- and it's even rougher when building flavor first. A card like Doomed Artisan tells a spectacular story, featuring the kind of NPC that a DM would be happy to have in their campaign, but let's be real... the card is bad. Slightly less bad since Chulane can reliably bounce him around to activate the statues on demand, but still not great if we're going all-in on the "experience."

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 4 years ago

What would be ok for you?
Punisher cards are ok?
Counterspells?
"Kingmaker" cards?
I think that Doomed Artisan is a fair card, no too strong not too weak.

From a gameplay viewpoint, you can try to play something similar to Dirkgently Pheldagryff, where you influence the table with politics

FenrirRex

I'm open to anything that isn't staxy or early (or easy) combo, otherwise literally the only thing that matters is that sweet, sweet flavor. Bonus points if the cards synergize directly with the commander.

Punisher is fine, though they ideally need to be interactive or political in nature. Comeuppance or Angel of the Dire Hour can be played around and reward the smarter player while punishing the one that's trying to go against the threats that the DM is putting on the table. (Again, bonus that the Angel is a fun option to bounce back with Chulane).

Counterspells are great and even recommended, the question then just becomes flavor. Swan Song and Arcane Denial say "no" firmly while still playing politics, and Frilled Mystic is conceivably an NPC or Villain that the DM would throw around. Harder to justify a basic Counterspell, no real flavor there.

I'm ambiguous on kingmaker leaning slightly negative- the deck does still ultimately want to win.

I am familiar with Dirk's content on ye olde Salvation forums, and you're not far off.

ilovesaprolings

Post by ilovesaprolings » 4 years ago

FenrirRex wrote:
4 years ago
Harder to justify a basic Counterspell, no real flavor there.
"Hey DM, can i play as celestial kensei caterpillar?"
"No"
XD

What do you think about cards like collective voyage or tempt with discovery?

FenrirRex

I'm cool with them, especially if the deck can theoretically take greater advantage of the extra resources while playing politics. Helps with those big, dumb on-flavor finishers.

FenrirRex

Added some brainstorming to the OP, but I definitely feel like I'm missing more than a few toys that fit the theme.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”