Tymaret - Pestilence Recursion

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

I loved Tymaret, Chosen from Death from the standpoint of a commander who comes in early and scales into the game. He feels like he is always going to be relevant as a blocker, grave hate, and lifegain. So, with this I was starting off my build thinking about an interactive mono black control deck. As I was building this I started getting into a few concepts that I kind of keyed into.
  • Devotion - I don't neccessarily need my commander to have a huge backside but devotion but I got into thinking about how things like Phyrexian Arena / Necropotence gave me a good bit of devotion while splitting my devotion between creatures and non.
  • Pestilence - After looking into enchantments a bit, I realized that the commander seemed to fit a Pestilence shell somewhat well. Being that he has a big back end and especially the fact that the enchantment versions tended to buff his size up sufficiently to not kill him. Sweeping small creatures and doing damage to opponents also works out from the standpoint that I can gain life from my commander and the Pestilence effects put targets in the graveyard for me to nibble up.
  • Mass Reanimation - Whenever I have a commander who gives me grave hate, I also like looking into mass reanimation. One sided Living Death is really great after all.
  • Edicts - Given the Pestilence effects, the bigger or indestructable / regenerators tend to be a bit of an issue. Things like Fleshbag Marauder also fit into the mass reanimation plan which seemed to fit for me. I was looking into ETB black creatures for the reanimation plans already and edicts seemed to check a box for me. I haven't gone deeper into something like Grave Pact in part because I wasn't really built to sacrifice things for the most part.

Decklist

COMMANDER (1)

PLANESWALKER (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Tags:

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

Shame all the "Each creature you control assigns combat damage equal to its toughness rather than its power." are outside of black.

I like Nezumi Graverobber in this deck, because Tymaret, Chosen from Death can preemptively keep a graveyard shallow, so flipping Graverobber should be very easy.

Bloodghast is an easy way to always have access to additional devotion. If you have fetch-lands then this makes it even better.

Just in general those colorless lands are going to be a liability rather than a boon most games as you can't rely on Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth for Cabal Stronghold, Crypt Ghast, Dread Presence, Tendrils of Corruption, Defile.
I would cut Tower of the Magistrate, Winding Canyons, Phyrexian Tower, High Market for Swamps and your deck will be better for it over the course of games.
I get you want to sacrifice creatures in response to Living Death or Twilight's Call or perhaps get additional ETB triggers from Volrath's Stronghold or Whip of Erebos type thing. But you have so many other ways to kill creatures with your Pestilence effects and between simply blocking attacks, that you don't need additional lands to sacrifice and they do come at a cost in your particular build.

Balthor the Defiled also might have a place as you can exile opponents black and red creatures before pulling the trigger.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”