Is Oathbreaker Already a Dead Format?

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

I'm actually working on posting a rough draft of Grist, the Hunger Tide + Smallpox right now. With any luck, becoming an official format (4 years too late) will revitalize and resuscitate the format and enable a saner banlist.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

There are plenty of recognized formats that nobody plays. Planeswalkers as commanders makes games play worse, and a whole format based on that idea is a no-go for me.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

motleyslayer
Pronoun: he / him

Post by motleyslayer » 1 year ago

I feel they picked a super weird time to make oathbreaker an official format as it's popularity peeked several years ago at this point and I don't know if I ever heard of people playing it at stores at an official level

BeneTleilax
Pronoun: he / him

Post by BeneTleilax » 1 year ago

motleyslayer wrote:
1 year ago
I feel they picked a super weird time to make oathbreaker an official format as it's popularity peeked several years ago at this point and I don't know if I ever heard of people playing it at stores at an official level
Maybe I'm cynical, but my bet is that Studio X had a fight with the RC over wanting to inject some overpowered nonsense, and now they're trying to push Oathbreaker in an attempt to show they don't need EDH.

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

I don't think planeswalkers or spells for commanders has NO merit, but what does this really offer the edh doesn't? I wish they were pushing it more as the casual 1v1 format, because that is unexplored territory. Edh is pretty cemented as the casual multiplayer format, but 1v1 commander is the big suck.

At least that was my attitude two years ago when this format was trending, don't think its likely for my opinion to change, but i guess we'll see.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

motleyslayer wrote:
1 year ago
I agree. It's totally out of left field.
BeneTleilax wrote:
1 year ago
Maybe I'm cynical, but my bet is that Studio X had a fight with the RC over wanting to inject some overpowered nonsense, and now they're trying to push Oathbreaker in an attempt to show they don't need EDH.
Good.

I mean, not good that they're pushing dumb cards for EDH. Good that they're distancing themselves from a third-party format.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Variant Commander”