Imodane - Why is the burn deck gaining life?

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 1 week ago

Ok, I realized that the commander's ability makes the commander do the damage themselves which means that giving them lifelink results in a simple Lightning Bolt give me 9 life assuming no modifier.

My next realization is that anything that boosts damage done to my spells like say Torbran, Thane of Red Fell brings something like Lightning Bolt up to 5 damage to a target but then he also boosts my commander to make it do 7 damage to each opponent. So you kind of have stacking damage increases which is sweet. Double Damage brings Lightning Bolt to doing 6 damage to a creature and 12 to all opponents. Triple Damage brings Lightning Bolt to doing 9 damage to a creature and 27 to opponents.

So I went in with a bunch of bolts and then asked myself how to make them better by making them do more damage and giving me life back. This deck is probably going to suck against thick boi voltron decks but I also plan on it punching some control / aristocrat decks in the face.

Decklist

COMMANDER (1)

PLANESWALKER

Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by ISBPathfinder 3 days ago, edited 4 times in total.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Tags:

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 1 week ago

I was thinking of ways to utilize the life gain and my Greven deck has Immolating Souleater, Treasonous Ogre, Moltensteel Dragon.
With Imodane lifelink I could see using Treasonous Ogre to fuel x cards like Purphoros's Intervention, Shatterskull Smashing, Mishra's Command.
Moltensteel Dragon makes redundant lifelink equipment have another target as you do have 5 of them.

Staff of Compleation mainly for the tap draw a card.

Only if you are not too budget conscious but I like Urza's Saga as it can get you Basilisk Collar/Shadowspear.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 6 days ago

darrenhabib wrote:
1 week ago
I was thinking of ways to utilize the life gain and my Greven deck has Immolating Souleater, Treasonous Ogre, Moltensteel Dragon.
With Imodane lifelink I could see using Treasonous Ogre to fuel x cards like Purphoros's Intervention, Shatterskull Smashing, Mishra's Command.
Moltensteel Dragon makes redundant lifelink equipment have another target as you do have 5 of them.

Staff of Compleation mainly for the tap draw a card.

Only if you are not too budget conscious but I like Urza's Saga as it can get you Basilisk Collar/Shadowspear.
I guess my concern with leaning into trying to use life as a resource as mono red is that I don't have it all the time. I did add a bunch of sources of it but I won't always have it and if I put in some of these cards its also going to put more emphasis on opponents removing my commander than they already do. I was more using it as a defensive layer as I have almost no blockers in my deck so chip damage and aristocrat tactics can normally be harder for a red deck to continue to survive. I did consider a few other things like Well of Lost Dreams but I just didn't feel like I could consistently enough set that kind of stuff up. I did include Cosmos Elixir though which might be a mistake but I figured I would at least put it in for testing before making that assumption as I do want more draw outlets.

Treasonous Ogre could still be quite reasonable I do have a hard time because it will sit in your hand until you are ready to sort of all in a turn. Its nice though that its a 4 mana card that can generate 10+ mana fairly easily but I also think in a lot of cases it has a similar result to Mana Geyser. The ogre relies on your life still being high where as the Geyser requires opponents to tap their lands.

Staff of Compleation - my thoughts on the consistency of getting the lifegain are still a thing here but its an interesting card from that perspective so I am adding it to my Danitha, Benalia's Hope as both ramp and draw where I do think I have the consistency to pull it off.

Urza's Saga - Yea thats probably fair.

I did a little poking around, ordering of cards, and assembly based on what I had on hand and I came up with some changes I wanted to try out. I was starting to view this idea as a little bit more of a combo deck in that I want commander + some artifact / enchantment payoff + spells and all of that takes some draw and ramp to assemble so with that I thought the different filter + treasure cards helped assemble nicely.

DECK CHANGES:
  • Crater's ClawsFurious Rise Claws being a sorcery and X spell are both reasons I am sort of so so even with it increasing base damage by 2 due to our commander. I want a few more draw engines in here.
  • Tundra FumaroleDemon Bolt I thought a bit more about Tundra Fumarole and I realized I wasn't quite so keen on it. The timing and colorless mana make it hard to take advantage of a big play before it and the colorless mana it makes are hard to chain more burn spells with. I like that I can foretell the bolt and still cast it on an opponents turn right behind fortelling it for essentially its mana cost in one turn but I can also save it as a cheap hard hitting spell for later if I want.
  • Bottle-Cap BlastBig Score I wanted to cut a few more spells to add the filter and treasure cards. The treasures can help me push for big turns so I get some ramp and card selection with these and they also copy really well with a few things that I have that can copy spells.
  • Earth TremorUnexpected Windfall I wanted to cut a few more spells to add the filter and treasure cards. The treasures can help me push for big turns so I get some ramp and card selection with these and they also copy really well with a few things that I have that can copy spells.
  • Unholy HeatPirate's Pillage I wanted to cut a few more spells to add the filter and treasure cards. The treasures can help me push for big turns so I get some ramp and card selection with these and they also copy really well with a few things that I have that can copy spells.
  • Soul SearInspired Tinkering I like the tinkering as a card advantage play that comes with some ramp. It seems like something that I could copy well and it just seems like a solid card all in all.
  • Fire ProphecyFlick a Coin cutting some of my slightly more expensive burn and I like Flick a Coin for its all around treasure / cantrip effect that would copy well and just grease some other effects.
  • Shivan FireVoltage Surge I think I would be happier sacing an artifact than paying 4 extra mana for this effect. Both can be rough but in a situation where I am pushing for a win sacing a mana rock isn't a big deal and I just added some treasure to the deck that could still work for the 4 damage as removal.
  • Seismic StrikeSweltering Suns I wanted another sweeper kind of effect and I like that the 3 damage stuff doesn't kill my commander but clean up the board fairly well. I also love the cycling option of sweltering.
  • Resurrection OrbMana Crypt I felt like I had a little too much on the lifelink equipment and I was between cutting the orb or Batterbone but in the end kept the living weapon because I liked its equipped status of pumping and giving vigilance plus giving me a body at 2 mana to use in a chump block. It also saved me some $$$ as the living weapon costs almost nothing and the other was a $5 card.
  • 1 Snow-Covered MountainCavern of Souls Its a commander centric deck so it seems fair to invest a cavern to keep the commander alive slightly more often.
  • 1 Snow-Covered MountainTower of the Magistrate tower can disable indestructible or protection from red equipment. It can slow down voltron decks cheaply given its activation cost is low.
  • 1 Snow-Covered MountainUrza's Saga opens a little more equipment tutoring for lifelink or tutoring for cheap ramp.
I still have over 20 burn target spells so I think I am still ok on consistencies. I don't want to let that get too low before testing the deck out but ideally if I could find a few more draw engines I could see cutting a few more burn spells for actual draw I am just not sure how excited I am about running something like Endless Atlas. I will see if I can come up with some additional good draw outlets.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 3 days ago

A handful of additional changes that I wanted to make after giving things a little more thought. Originally I thought that ramping to my commander was the objective but given more thought I am probably going to need to have resolved my commander and then resolve an enabler followed by burn or possibly with multiple burn spells in one turn.

DECK CHANGES:
  • Mind StoneEverflowing Chalice both can be a 2 drop stone but I like the Chalice's option to drop later with more mana.
  • Sword of the AnimistSceptre of Eternal Glory I don't think the equipment value is wrong but I don't want to give opponents more reason to target and kill my commander. Also if I don't curve the sword early it could be a little slow.
  • Sword of Forge and FrontierGauntlet of Might I don't have trample / flying so the evasion of a sword is a little spotty.
  • Cosmos ElixirRain of Riches with adding more treasure support into the deck it started making more sense to add the Rain. The downside of adding this is that I have an abundance of 5-6 mana enablers mixed with 1 mana burn so cascade is gonna be weird. If I try cascading off 5 mana enchantments I am likely to hit a one mana burn spell which resolves before the enchant. So..... its gonna be kind of weird but I still think its decent.
  • RoastExpedition Map I have a bunch of lands that can keep my commander relevant and active and I think its worth increasing my access to that sort of thing. Keep myself from theft / transform / counterspells or go for a defense in my newly added Glacial Chasm.
  • Kher KeepDwarven Mine I honestly haven't found Kher Keep that useful for some time now as its just not something I really activate much. The mine is likely to still give me a chump blocker but it gives me red and probably comes in untapped.
  • 1 Snow-Covered MountainGlacial Chasm its actually a fairly good defense for a deck that doesn't intend to attack. I even have lifegain options to offset.
  • 1 Snow-Covered MountainSanctum of Eternity another land to keep my deck functioning. Keeping my commander live and active is important so its sort of the utility I am aiming for.
  • 1 Snow-Covered MountainMyriad Landscape decent ramp. It doesn't ramp into my commander but I need a bunch of mana to resolve an enablier + commander + burn.

samanater456
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by samanater456 » 8 hours ago

Hello! Massive fan of the deck and it's explosiveness! Do you find that you need to lay low for a few turns while you get your board setup? If I ran this in my meta I'd get focused like crazy out of the game as soon as I'd play a single burn spell and have my commander make me gain life like no tomorrow. Mono red is also the tricky with "countering". We have stuff like DSwat but I don't think we'd want to run too many otherwise we'd lose our burn consistency! I'm looking to build this more budget minded. I have most of these from my time running Zada and DSwat because it's always good to have a copy. Excited to see where you make changes and report back with your findings.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 6 hours ago

samanater456 wrote:
8 hours ago
Hello! Massive fan of the deck and it's explosiveness! Do you find that you need to lay low for a few turns while you get your board setup? If I ran this in my meta I'd get focused like crazy out of the game as soon as I'd play a single burn spell and have my commander make me gain life like no tomorrow. Mono red is also the tricky with "countering". We have stuff like DSwat but I don't think we'd want to run too many otherwise we'd lose our burn consistency! I'm looking to build this more budget minded. I have most of these from my time running Zada and DSwat because it's always good to have a copy. Excited to see where you make changes and report back with your findings.
I managed to play the deck three games tonight. It was a lot of fun but the first few games was sort of people watching to see how my deck was doing and suddenly I would just slap them in the face for 30 direct damage and kill them kind of situations. I was struggling to get the right consistency of lands / enablers / burn as my last game I drew a bunch of burn and lands but no enablers and I just spent the last several turns of the game with tripple lands in hand.

I need to look into my draw engines as I think I need to go up a little bit in my engines but I also think that its possible that more of the discard + draw stuff might work out in this deck because of some of the spell copy things. The double damage was crazy and every time I got set up with double or triple damage it was almost immediately game over without someone throwing a wrench in the mix.

The ramp has been really weird though I will admit. Ramping to the commander is not really what this deck needs to be doing so I might look at the 2 mana ramp and rework that because it feels like I need to ramp into enabler and spellcasting back to back. Its possible I could also go and get something like hexproof / shroud for the commander as well depending on if thats a problem.

I need to let it sit with me a bit but my first instinct was to add like.... Seize the Spoils, Faithless Looting, Cathartic Reunion. The reason I say this is I think I want to cut into my land count a little and maybe trim some of the more awkward burn spells. I want to aim for consistency in some of the mechanics right now and cheap filtering seems like a solution. If I lean into it more I might even look at some more means to copy spells.

I was also thinking of adding Skyscanner. It seems like an odd mention but its a cheap flyer that cantrips and I think I want that right now.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”