Ephara ETB Flicker

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

A lot of this concept came from the idea that I love those cheap single shot flickers and have always had a hard time coming up with a commander for it. Its true that Yorion, Sky Nomad and Brago, King Eternal are commanders but I felt that with both of them they are a lot more susceptible to removal strategies. Ephara is hard to interact with and the ETB creatures aren't that susceptible to removal so I felt like it was a more robust strategy as a whole.

I avoided things like Deadeye Navigator and Eldrazi Displacer based on the mana it costs to spin them up. I think its a lot better to just run cheap things than worry about dumping a ton of mana into abusing a few times.

Decklist

COMMANDER (1)

ENCHANTMENT (2)

PLANESWALKER

Approximate Total Cost:

[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

shermanido37

Post by shermanido37 » 4 years ago

This is indeed an ETB heavy build!

I do think that Rite of Replication is a classic well worth considering. It's a clone for 4 that can be fetched with Mystical Tutor, but late game the swing it generates can win games.
Imagine this on your own creatures: Agent of Treachery, Sun Titan, Mulldrifter / Cloudblazer, etc.
Cloud of Faeries is a card that I've come to seriously appreciate, and it's really cool with blink engines. Don't underestimate Teferi, Hero of Dominaria's +1 each turn.
If you were looking to combo with Yorion, Spark Double works.
If you went ahead and got a Mystic, I think that Umezawa's Jitte is unparalleled. It absolutely destroys aggressive decks, and also accumulates a ton of value over the game, and can give you lethal if not dealt with.

My opinion about Opposition is that it needs an absurd amount of creatures to do anything in commander, but once you get there it shuts down the game with nearly no contest. I slotted it into my Kykar, Wind's Fury that poops out spirits all day every day, but I'm thinking it may sadly not be effective enough here.
I'm surprised about your inclusion of Dowsing Dagger // Lost Vale. It's a pet card of mine, but it's also ridiculously hard to justify properly. I play it along with Cloud of Faeries to untap for more mana, but you don't really have a way to abuse it. I'm thinking the Cartographer's Hawk might be better in this deck.

Overall, I'm very confused by this list. It has a lot of janky blink cards and weenies that give you some value, but nothing that looks like a serious wincon, which makes me want to treat this like a more casual deck. Then I look at Force of Will, Force of Negation, Fierce Guardianship, Mana Drain, and they take me the complete opposite way.
So yeah, you got me. I'm not sure what else to recommend.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

With both solemn and kor cartographer and sword and dagger I doubt Cartographer's Hawk has much utility in this deck.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

shermanido37 wrote:
4 years ago
This is indeed an ETB heavy build!

I do think that Rite of Replication is a classic well worth considering. It's a clone for 4 that can be fetched with Mystical Tutor, but late game the swing it generates can win games.
Imagine this on your own creatures: Agent of Treachery, Sun Titan, Mulldrifter / Cloudblazer, etc.
Cloud of Faeries is a card that I've come to seriously appreciate, and it's really cool with blink engines. Don't underestimate Teferi, Hero of Dominaria's +1 each turn.
Rite of Replication has always been sort of a tough one for me. When you look at casting it as a 4 mana sorcery its really kind of a terrible spell as it ends up being one of the worst clones you can run. Yes there are a few worse but its among them. I do agree that its spicy when kicked but so too are most 9 mana spells. Given how much it kind of sucks at the 4 mana mode its likely that I would just run something like Elesh Norn or something instead to send in damage or push for extra turns or something. I just haven't ever been a big fan of the card to be honest.
shermanido37 wrote:
4 years ago
If you were looking to combo with Yorion, Spark Double works.
I don't play combos. I am not opposed to there being possibilities of combo but I won't execute them. Good catch on the whole legendary thing keeping the normal clones from going infinite with Yorion.
shermanido37 wrote:
4 years ago
If you went ahead and got a Mystic, I think that Umezawa's Jitte is unparalleled. It absolutely destroys aggressive decks, and also accumulates a ton of value over the game, and can give you lethal if not dealt with.
Jitte is a good one. I was considering it and its likely the way I would expand the equipment package if I can manage to do so. I agree its a lot of control in one card and I love the speed of interaction and how it controls the board. I will see if I can somehow make space for it. It might end up on a short list of cards in consideration though.
shermanido37 wrote:
4 years ago
My opinion about Opposition is that it needs an absurd amount of creatures to do anything in commander, but once you get there it shuts down the game with nearly no contest. I slotted it into my Kykar, Wind's Fury that poops out spirits all day every day, but I'm thinking it may sadly not be effective enough here.
Its tough to say. I normally play it more in a token strategy but its a card I really like. It usually gives me fairly good results with a few bodies in my meta but its also a removal magnet. I am not so sold on it that it can't go but its also a card I quite like.
shermanido37 wrote:
4 years ago
I'm surprised about your inclusion of Dowsing Dagger // Lost Vale. It's a pet card of mine, but it's also ridiculously hard to justify properly. I play it along with Cloud of Faeries to untap for more mana, but you don't really have a way to abuse it. I'm thinking the Cartographer's Hawk might be better in this deck.
Its mostly just a Gilded Lotus that is a land and I essentially always flip it easily and it never dies on me. If I had more issues flipping it or if people were blowing it up more it might be different for me but it has been really consistent ramp for me. I can almost always find somewhere that I can connect with it for some reason in my meta esepcially given the flyers and disruption elements of this deck it seems like I can probably make it work here. Ramping lands tends to be fairly safe in my meta so its sort of like a colored Thran Dynamo that doesn't die to sweepers for me. Almost paying for itself the turn it comes in is just the gravy on top.
shermanido37 wrote:
4 years ago
Overall, I'm very confused by this list. It has a lot of janky blink cards and weenies that give you some value, but nothing that looks like a serious wincon, which makes me want to treat this like a more casual deck. Then I look at Force of Will, Force of Negation, Fierce Guardianship, Mana Drain, and they take me the complete opposite way.
So yeah, you got me. I'm not sure what else to recommend.
I am a big fan of making a deck work and not worrying about winning. This deck has a lot of grindy value elements to it and currently thats my wincon. I do play against some non optimized combo decks as well as a lot of decks that just have haymaker wincons which is part of the reason for the counter magic. I might play against it but I like to slowly squeeze until I win. I had considered a few more anthems to push for wins but I wanted to start with being a control deck and making that work as intended first.

I love playing control decks that plan to force you to play until turns 15+ and slowly apply pressure until you die / lose on board. As a random side note I need to find some more grave hate to work in here.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

Remorseful Cleric and Stonecloaker are the pieces I use, not really much better. It's really annoying that white doesn't have that much for good gravehate on creatures. Scavenging Ooze and Collector Ouphe functional reprints in white would really make me a happy camper :P

Angel of Finality is another one that wizardmn uses that I don't hate but feels a bit overcosted and slow to me.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”