Mirko, Obsessive Theorist

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 months ago

Ok, I am a junkie for a low cmc evasive commander who grows on their own and has vigilance. That is like slap all the things I like together but beyond that they also have a reanimate clause stapled on? Wowza I am in.

I really didn't go suuuuuper duper deep on the Surveil support. Honestly I might even go with less in the long run because I think the commander does plenty without trying to go super deep on her via the surveil cards and if I am being honest I don't even think that a lot of the surveil cards are all that powerful on their own. I went more as a reanimator voltron with my build if I am being honest. I did order most of the surveil cards though just in case I want or need to test them but I didn't go all that deep on the mechanic as a whole.

Decklist

COMMANDER (1)

PLANESWALKER (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

Considerations:
  • Dimir Aqueduct - its odd but it could bounce out a surveil land which has some value to me.
  • Spiketail Drakeling - I sort of like these counterspells in creature form. It makes people think on their feet and my ability to loop them with my commander is amusing. I also have a number of equipment so a carrier for them isn't half bad.
  • Solemn Simulacrum - sad robot is a bit slow these days but the idea of looping him for a second use or cloning him isn't half bad.
  • Thassa, Deep-Dwelling - She could flicker some guys and drop the finality counter from them. I just didn't feel like I was super deep on ETB value from them to make me feel like it did much else.
  • Crypt Incursion - gaining life seemed like it was somewhat of a priority for me. I have also had really good results in the past with Crypt Incursion I just don't know about it given its a noncreature and I am rewarded for pushing things into creature form. Its a good card though.
Last edited by ISBPathfinder 1 month ago, edited 2 times in total.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 months ago

Just poking around at my physical list as a few ordered cards come in and I realized I already wanted to make a few changes. Its still going to be a few weeks before I can play this one more just because I am booked over the weekends but I am going to make some small updates anyways.

DECK CHANGES:
  • Nightveil SpriteSpiketail Drakeling I thought more about the sprite and while its cute, its hella slow to do anything. I keep saying how I am not going to force surveil triggers just to grow my commander but I look at that card and it just doesn't make the cut of being good enough to not be a bad surveil synergy card. I like these weird bad counterspell on a stick creatures due to the commander's ability to loop them. I though about going with something a bit harder like say Daring Apprentice but I think I like it being immediately available and just screwing with max mana and chaining spells. Additional cheap flyers is also fun for equipment.
  • Disinformation CampaignOtherworldly Gaze I kept thinking about it and I get the feeling that Disinformation while cool is one of those cards without a ton of triggers in the deck its just not good enough. What it does for the mana is also not that amazing either so I am fine just giving it the cut. I do think that the Gaze gives good resources for the mana too so I want to test that out.
  • Treasure CruiseMulldrifter just moving some draw around. I think Mulldrifter evoke into a rez is fairly reasonable for this deck. I do think that I can play off of delve too fairly easily but I think sticking to a little more creatures when I can makes more sense.
  • Thirst for DiscoveryRead the Runes Thirst is probably better early on but I like the scalable use with read the runes. The option to use it as a sac outlet mid wrath to draw more cards. It just seems fun.
Things I am thinking about (random ramblings):
  • I don't have a lot of artifact and enchantment interaction. I thought about the idea of running something like a Boompile or Oblivion Stone just to have the option to tutor and run have access to that effect.
  • I feel like this commander protects walkers well but I can't come up with another planeswalker I really want. Maybe its fine though as I don't really want to encourage opponents to remove my commander to slap a so so walker.
  • Crucible of Worlds might be fun given all the ditch to grave and surveil.
  • Wondering about my ramp package. I like what I have but its also mostly after I set up my commander sort of ramp.
  • Daring Apprentice - another counterspell on a stick option. I don't really hate if someone removes it either as its not my commander dying and it rezes well from commander.
  • Sword of Forge and Frontier - running a number of swords and I like them so far and thinking about this one just as another value and ramp kind of thing. Its a little harder proactive playing from the top of deck with a control deck though which is why I haven't really run this one yet but its fine I guess.
  • Lifelink could be something to consider on my commander. Mass lifelink through something like Whip of Erebos could also be a consideration due to me running the two pestilence creatures which would be fun. I also thought about some equipment based lifelink but opted for now to push it more to being on creatures than giving it to my commander in a designated slot.
EDIT: Nymris, Oona's Trickster might be cute too. I like that it has low power for my commander to rez it and it bins card for more rezing. The question being how much flash / instant cast I run in order to chain draw from it.
EDIT2: Also thinking about a few other cards including Ledger Shredder whom I like the low power flyer who gets bigger and lets me dig. Start the TARDIS just because its cheap draw with surveil. And Unshakable Tail because it gives a combination of surveil and some clues. I am also second guessing Thrashing Wumpus because well.... it kinda sucks.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 1 month ago

Some more changes to the deck. I haven't gotten a chance to play recently but I wanted to boost my survivability and increase my rezable targets for my commander. Its sort of important for me to keep a reasonable number of answer me kind of threats as I do want my opponents to target things other than my commander.

DECK CHANGES:
  • Notion ThiefDisplacer Kitten the thief seems ok but it loses a lot of power if my plan is to reanimate it as it drops the surprise factor and its a high priority target card. The displacer can remove my commander's finality counters, trigger ETBs, but its also interesting because it flickers any permanent rather than just creatures so flickering a surveil land seems sort of valid if I don't need it otherwise.
  • Thrashing WumpusNymris, Oona's Trickster I like that Nymris is another solid blocker and its double sided value in that it bins something and puts something to hand. I am not sure if I have enough trigger options for it but I want to give it a shot.
  • Sphinx of the Second SunCrypt Ghast its sort of ramp for ramp but the Ghast is lower curve and easier to rez with my commander. I like that it has some lifegain option and tends to draw attention to itself too.
  • ConsiderUnshakable Tail I kept thinking about it and while Consider is fine, it doesn't dig deep enough. I am building on surveil and its cheap but I am more surveil in creatures so I think this swap is sort of valid.
  • Discovery // DispersalStart the TARDIS These two are very similar but the option to Jump Start I think is superior to the option to cast Dispersal.
  • Read the RunesConfounding Riddle Both are reasonable but I am starting to like some of the look at top x and grave the rest effects. The counter unless they pay 4 is also not horrible in a pinch.
Ledger Shredder was also something I was looking at quite a bit for this change but I cut it in the end just because while its alright it can be a bit hodge podge when it triggers based on opponents deck composition and even then its not card advantage just selection.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 1 month ago

yeti1069 wrote:
1 month ago
Displacer Kitten is "nonland permanent"
Oh, I guess it is. Oh well I already ordered it might as well test it out.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”