Leori Tribal Ratio

Cyberium
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Cyberium » 10 months ago

Leori, Sparktouched Hunter

Leori's ability works on more than one PW of the same type at once. For example, if you named "Chandra", you get to duplicate each of your Chandra's next ability. In other words, Leori offers an interesting direction for a Superfriend deck where you reap the greatest benefit by having a less diverse PW base.

At the same time, for a Suprefriend deck to function you need at least 10+ PWs, and you still need some diversity to weave effects together, i.e., not 100% Chandra. I'd like to open a discussion on PW candidates and how to best utilize Leori's ability. Note the ones I include below all have 4+ variations.

Elspeth: An obvious choice for Leori, given her token generation ability.
Ajani: Friendliest super friend, but his green incarnations are barred from the deck.
Gideon: Provide defense and some offense.
Jace: Decent defense and card draws.
Chandra: Highest damage potential for removal.
Teferi: Another logical addition.
Ral: Spellcentric build would welcome him.
Saheeli: Artifact facet of Ral.
Narset: Have variations in each color(s) AND in creature form that'd assist any noncreature theme.

Quintorius, Loremaster is a natural fit here, both in generating tokens and recasting PWs.

I can see Nahiri being part of this gang if we're going for a Voltron route for Leori (Nahiri + Saheeli + Narset).

EDIT: Just realized Wanderer has no PW type, lol.

PrimevalCommander
Pronoun: he / him

Post by PrimevalCommander » 10 months ago

Jace, Chandra, Elspeth, and Teferi all have a pretty good selection of abilities across the various walkers, and might have the largest pool of different printings compared to some others. I would expect those 4 could fill out enough slots without too many weak links. I could be a good control style deck with voltron win condition that Elspeth could assist with. The others are just solid value walkers. Chandra could control the board and do some burn.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hawk » 10 months ago

At 19 different versions (including Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh // Chandra, Roaring Flame) Chandra has the MOST options, but a lot of them are pretty unexciting.

In terms of power level, I think Teferi is the best. Teferi, Master of Time, Teferi, Hero of Dominaria, and Teferi, Time Raveler are all strong cards and doubling their abilities (or quadrupling, with Oath of Teferi) is a lot of advantage. Teferi, Who Slows the Sunset and Teferi, Temporal Archmage are also quite good, and might just go infinite along something like The Chain Veil with Leori doubling their abilities. He's sadly just shy of getting to 10 'walkers by himself (he's at 9 if we count Invasion of New Phyrexia // Teferi Akosa of Zhalfir, but Teferi, Timebender and Teferi, Timeless Voyager are pretty mediocre cards) but I feel like the deck definitely wants 5-6 Teferis as a starting point, probably paired with another 'walker.

Cyberium

PrimevalCommander wrote:
10 months ago
Jace, Chandra, Elspeth, and Teferi all have a pretty good selection of abilities across the various walkers, and might have the largest pool of different printings compared to some others. I would expect those 4 could fill out enough slots without too many weak links. I could be a good control style deck with voltron win condition that Elspeth could assist with. The others are just solid value walkers. Chandra could control the board and do some burn.
Most of hers also relate to regards and instant/sorcery specifically, though I think depending on the deck's direction there are many paths.

Spellsling (Control/damage): Chandra, Jaya, Ral, Jace, Teferi, Kenriths, Narset
Artifact: Saheeli, Tezz, Karn, Nahiri, (equipments), Teferi (Archmage)
Voltron-Equip: See above, plus Elspeth and Ajani
Tokens: Elspeth, Saheeli, Ajani, Dovin (Grand Arbiter, as support)

Thoughts:

1a) Going artifacts allow cards like Inspiring Statuary to cheapen PW cost, and of all the PWs here Chandra provides the most mana.

1b) Narset (non-PW) would be a nice sub-commander if going Voltron route. Token strategy also allows equipments to remain used should Leori died. Adding double strike to Leori ensures multiple copying per turn. (Though a spellsling approach can add extra combats and double strike effects also.)

2) I used to play a Rowan Kenrith/Will Kenrith PW that gears towards extra turns and endless ultimates. It's an oppression approach, but can't deny its effectiveness. It's possible to incorporate similar direction to Leori without it being as abusive. Many Chandra has mana ability and they can all be duplicated, multiple times if needed be.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 10 months ago

Of note Double Strike gives you two triggers each turn. You could name two different planeswalkers or double up on the triggers of same walkers (I think).
Ajani, Caller of the Pride
There are equipment that give Double Strike; Bladehold War-Whip, Brass Knuckles, Embercleave, Fireshrieker, Gavel of the Righteous, Grappling Hook, Holy Avenger, Lizard Blades.
Nahiri has equipment synergy including actually making an equipment with Double Strike in Nahiri, the Lithomancer.
Tezzeret also has artifact synergy with potentially equipment.
Helm of the Host has a cascading effect.

Additional combat does this as well. Zariel, Archduke of Avernus, Hexplate Wallbreaker.
Aggravated Assault combined with Planeswalkers that provide mana can can pay for the activation;
Chandras that add mana; Chandra, Bold Pyromancer, Chandra, Dressed to Kill, Chandra, Hope's Beacon, Chandra, Novice Pyromancer, Chandra, Torch of Defiance, Chandra, Legacy of Fire..

Cyberium

darrenhabib wrote:
10 months ago
Of note Double Strike gives you two triggers each turn. You could name two different planeswalkers or double up on the triggers of same walkers (I think).
Ajani, Caller of the Pride
There are equipment that give Double Strike; Bladehold War-Whip, Brass Knuckles, Embercleave, Fireshrieker, Gavel of the Righteous, Grappling Hook, Holy Avenger, Lizard Blades.
Nahiri has equipment synergy including actually making an equipment with Double Strike in Nahiri, the Lithomancer.
Tezzeret also has artifact synergy with potentially equipment.
Helm of the Host has a cascading effect.

Additional combat does this as well. Zariel, Archduke of Avernus, Hexplate Wallbreaker.
Aggravated Assault combined with Planeswalkers that provide mana can can pay for the activation;
Chandras that add mana; Chandra, Bold Pyromancer, Chandra, Dressed to Kill, Chandra, Hope's Beacon, Chandra, Novice Pyromancer, Chandra, Torch of Defiance, Chandra, Legacy of Fire..
Creature-y equipments is always welcomed, as they are noncreature permanents that make creatures. Aggravated Assault and Sword of Feast and Famine is a duet of ages.

Supplement to token and doubling theme, we could use Rowan's Talent and Elspeth's Talent. White happens to be very good at grabbing back enchantments, should they ever get destroyed.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 10 months ago

Cyberium wrote:
10 months ago
Creature-y equipments is always welcomed, as they are noncreature permanents that make creatures. Aggravated Assault and Sword of Feast and Famine is a duet of ages.

Supplement to token and doubling theme, we could use Rowan's Talent and Elspeth's Talent. White happens to be very good at grabbing back enchantments, should they ever get destroyed.
If you wanted to basically have a creatureless deck, beside tokens, then Lukka, Coppercoat Outcast could be used to say get Aurelia, the Warleader, Karlach, Fury of Avernus, Moraug, Fury of Akoum.
Leori, Sparktouched Hunter naming Lukka means that sacrificing a single token would get you two of these.

Deification is obviously an all-star in this deck.

Cyberium

darrenhabib wrote:
10 months ago
If you wanted to basically have a creatureless deck, beside tokens, then Lukka, Coppercoat Outcast could be used to say get Aurelia, the Warleader, Karlach, Fury of Avernus, Moraug, Fury of Akoum.
Poetic cruelty, if I sac Leori with Luke.

In relate to the Lukka bandwagon, Mila, Crafty Companion // Lukka, Wayward Bonder seems to be a nice complement to Deification in keeping PWs alive. Despite The Eternal Wanderer have no type, I'd love to see how long she could survive.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”