Commander Jumpstart Box - Drafting Partners

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Crazy Monkey » 1 year ago

This is an abnormal draft box that is intended to mix the variance of a Commander Cube with the Ease of a set of typical constructed Commander Decks. After the idea for a Commander Jumpstart product with two Commander 'packs' was brought up here, I wanted to build a draft box that offered it. This was a much larger undertaking than my typical decks, so I really need to thank my friends Ken and especially Mab from my local group for the brainstorming, as well as all the 'packs' that they each championed and designed for this project.

The draft component of these packs is intended to be the commanders, after which each player chooses two of their drafts and builds their deck by shuffling each commanders' packs together. The method of commander selection can be as simple as randomly dealing them out to drafting.

Table of Included Commander Packs

WhiteBlueBlackRedGreen
Ardenn, Intrepid Archaeologist Voltron EnchantressBrinelin, the Moon Kraken Big Blue Combo/ControlKeskit, the Flesh Sculptor AristocratsAlena, Kessig Trapper Dash Hydra MidrangeGilanra, Caller of Wirewood Big Green Value
Akroma, Vision of Ixidor Angel Keyword TribalEligeth, Crossroads Augur Scry AdvantageSengir, the Dark Baron Sacrifice Control VoltronJeska, Thrice Reborn Burn Aggro ControlHalana, Kessig Ranger Deathtouch Tribal
Livio, Oathsworn Sentinel Blink AdvantageGhost of Ramirez DePietro LootingNocturno of Myra's Marvels Lifelink Card DrawKrark, the Thumbless Coin StormIch-Tekik, Salvage Splicer Golems and Treasure
Prava of the Steel Legion TokensMalcolm, Keen-Eyed Navigator Treasure TempoTormod, the Desecrator Graveyard DurdleToggo, Goblin Weaponsmith Equipment RocksSlurrk, All-Ingesting Ooze Aggro
Katerina of Myra's Marvels Letter C is for CatSakashima of a Thousand Faces ClonesDeck not FoundKediss, Emberclaw Familiar Voltron TBDDeck not Found

I can currently fit 23 commander packs in the draft box, so there are a couple of open slots.
Unnecessary Exposition
Show
Hide
Now I'll go back to the overall objectives: It should be a self-contained draft box that holds Commander 'packs' that, when 2 are combined, result in a legal commander deck. In terms of playstyle, I wanted each possible deck to be approximately even in game and due to the intrinsic nature of each combination to be stand-alone expected the target power level to be similar to the average heavy upgraded preconstructed deck. This should help make this a good way to introduce new players to commander and deckbuilding concepts, but should be built such that experienced players also enjoy the draft box "metagame".

The draft box size of 1000 cards means that 20 packs of 50 cards could fit. Legal decks mean that each pack has a commander with Partner, so an even distribution would be 4 mono-color partners for each color. Once that was determined, I split the 50 cards into a 31 card 'deck pack' and a 19 card 'mana pack'. The next problem was duplicates: if more than 1 pack had a common card, then those decks would not be legal. That means either no Sol Ring type cards, only one deck gets a Sol Ring, or some other method. I reduced it to a 17 card 'mana pack' for each and a 4 card 'fixing pack' that would be separate, which had the added benefit of reducing the number of cards required. This opened up enough space for three or four more 'Deck packs'. I increased the number of 'fixing packs' to handle 5 players, which is also nicely divisible into 20 packs.

The current division may be open to change if I want to more staples, as I expect that the shared 'fixing pack' will have an outsize impact on the utility in the mana base. This could also contain a sub-draft for generically good cards such as Strip Mine, Scavenger Grounds, Ancient Tomb and similar if the overall cube "power level" were to be increased. For now, the common 'fixing pack' is:
Mana Fixing Pack - 1 Per Player
Approximate Total Cost:

The Commanders will be mono-color, so that means that each 'mana pack' needs to be mono-color and can't be tailored to any given commander. I ended up with a simple 'mana pack' of just 17 basic lands of each color. Eventual space considerations and organizing boxes further reduced these to be 3 boxes, each containing 17 of a matching cycle of basic lands. This reduced the maximum number of players in a given color to 3, but opened up enough space for sub-boxes to help keep this organized. I ended up with these land boxes:
Lands Packs
Approximate Total Cost:

Each 'Deck Pack' consists of the Commander plus 30 cards. I wanted the decks (wanted is past tense, see commander list for acorn and some card inclusions) to be legal. This means no duplicates between decks, and is a hard limit on the use of colorless cards. I added another limit in that each deck must consist of commander of Different Color Identity. This allows decks that share a color identity to also share cards, while also making the prospect of disassembling a combined deck back into 'packs' a sane proposal without having a decklist and a spreadsheet (less accessible to new players). All blue decks have access to Counterspell; all white decks can play Swords to Plowshares, etc. That doesn't mean that these packs homogenize, but it simplifies deckbuilding drastically. This also means that the entire box only gets 1 of each strategy defining colorless cards (see: Phyrexian Altar / Lightning Greaves / Skullclamp / Crucible of Worlds, etc).

Now for planning the playstyles. I wanted these to be as individually unique as possible, but as evenly matched as possible. I determined that each deck should bring a unique strategy as well as a unique win condition. This means that each deck gets one of either an on-theme combo or alternate win condition (including commander damage here for voltron). For example, the Red Decks each respectively have Umbral Mantle+Commander, Madcap Skills, Reiterate+Jeska's Will, Chance Encounter, or Golem-Skin Gauntlets for their win conditions. Deck's also include my tendency to avoid tutors in an effort to retain variance, and attempt to remain as on-theme as possible.

White Commander Packs

Ardenn is an aura based voltron deck with an enchantress subtheme. Light-Paws, Emperor's Voice allows Auras stack up quickly, while also getting interaction through Darksteel Mutation type effects that can then be moved around by Arden. An unexpected but effective strategy has been to stack auras on the partner deck.

Return to Table

This pack is intended to apply slight early aggro pressure that ramps quickly once the commander lands. The alternative win condition of Angel of Destiny drives a subtheme of lifelink, and the angel theme supports the anti-lose condition of The Book of Exalted Deeds. Finally, Avacyn, Angel of Hope and Nevinyrral's Disk offer a board control route.

Return to Table

Livio is a blink value deck. There are opportunities for politics by using Livio to flicker important creatures that another player wants. Abdel and Preston allow for infinite flicker and tokens.

Return to Table

Prava is an aggro token deck. It applies enough pressure that it has not required a backup method to combo or win beyond applying pressure to life totals for the majority of the game.

Return to Table

Katerina is build around cat tribal, with highlights including Coat of Arms and Cathars' Crusade.

Return to Table

Blue Commander Packs

Brinelin, the Moon Kraken is intended to ramp the hardest of these decks, while playing enough control to be able to establish persistent interaction into infinitely controlling the battlefield or the stack via Tidespout Tyrant, Hullbreaker Horror, or Omniscience.

Return to Table

This pack is a scry focused deck which focuses on card advantage after Eligeth resolves. It has the highest amount of card selection or advantage in the box. It can't attack life totals well, but can win with Triskaidekaphile.

Return to Table

This pack is intended to use self-looting effects as card advantage. It should have enough draw and self-mill to enable a win with Jace. As of March 19, 2023 the deck is in it's second draft, but it may need additional support for it's win conditions.

Return to Table

This pack is built around value over time and leveraging dealing damage with Malcolm. There aren't many evasive pirates, so some additional evasive creatures round out the low mana values. Finally, Mechanized Production allows for an alternative win condition.

Return to Table

This pack is entirely clones and copy spells. It's intended to help the partner do more of it's plan.

Return to Table

Black Commander Packs

This pack is intended to use Keskit as repeatable value. Nim Deathmantle loops for infinite tokens or mana while generating value for Keskit. This is the most value engine oriented commander, and makes use of many sources of tokens in its own pack or its partner's for repeated card advantage.

Return to Table

Sengir intends to limit the number of creatures opponents have on the battlefield, and for the commander to become quickly lethal in size after he lands through the same methods. The heaviest board control deck of the black decks.

Return to Table

This pack is built around Lifelink, both for card draw and regaining the life spent. The win condition is based around gaining life such as Sanguine Bond. It can perform an excellent support roll for focused decks as consistent draw, and can double up on other packs by naming words from those partners, such as 'target' or 'token'.

Return to Table

Tormod is a sacrifice engine and token deck intending to capitalize on self-recurring creatures. It provides a large amount of recursion, but may need some additional tribal support for zombies.

Return to Table

Red Commander Packs

This pack is intended to play large creatures, drastically increase their power, and use the commander to generate mana for firebreathing. With either of the equipment, a creature with at least 4 power can generate infinite mana, so direct damage or large creatures with trample can finish a game.

Return to Table

Jeska is a damage based board control and aggressive deck. The commander provides either removal or a large damage output. Additional damage multiplication replacement effects allow even small creatures to become potent threats. Jeska appears to partner well voltron and evasive packs for quick commander damage based wins.

Return to Table

Krark is a spellslinger deck that is intended to multiply the number of spells available through the typical Krark asymmetry of copying the coin flip. Limited compared to typical Krark decks to mono-red, this relies on resolving and copying Harmonic Prodigy for a full storm turn, or incremental value using Twinning Staff. Alternate Win condition though Chance Encounter or typical Krark spellslinging.

Return to Table

This pack is built as a landfall and artifacts matter pack. This is the one deck that wants fetchlands for value, and stacking up rocks on an equipment-matters creature can deal massive damage. Holding up rocks as a removal threat can be highly effective, while stacking up a pile can win with Hellkite Tyrant.

Return to Table

Kediss will be intended to play a direct commander voltron threat with auras and equipment. This is the most in flux as I try to fit the cards into the box.

Voltron
Approximate Total Cost:

Return to Table

Green Commander Packs

This pack ramps to higher MV cards and generates card advantage by casting 6 MV spells. Replacement effects for mana allow Gilanra to draw more than one card per tap, so long as the mana is spent on multiple spells.

Return to Table

This pack is the most board control oriented in green, and uses a large number of deathtouch creatures to deal damage through Halana. The deathtouch also provides a large disincentive to be attacked and allows damage triggers to provide advantage via Toski, Bearer of Secrets effects.

Return to Table

This pack is golem tribal with a heavy emphasis on the tokens that Academy Manufactor cares about. I hadn't remembered that the Colossi are golems, so ramping into those large threats is the main plan. Backup win condition makes use of Krark-Clan Ironworks and/or Cogwork Assembler for infinite artifacts.

Return to Table

Slurrk is a stompy deck that plans to win through persistent, aggressive pressure. Slurrk and other cards add resiliency for stacking up counters while also enabling persist looping combos.

Return to Table

As of March 2023, there have been enough packs done for several game sessions, including playing decks in 3 to 6 player games and against normal decks. Some general concerns are about game quality. It seems as though 1/4 players on the average gets mana screwed. I have attributed this to insufficient shuffling, but it may be a sign that some packs are underperforming. Alena, Kessig Trapper has some difficulty landing more than one threat, while Brinelin, the Moon Kraken has been limited by the amount of blue mana. Ghost of Ramirez DePietro was taken out of the pool for a revamp, and the current list hasn't been played. As the deck combinations exceed 200, it will take a while to play enough games.

The other concern is that some packs overperform. Krark and Prava specifically are value engines only, but still have a high win and threat rate. My intention is to bring the other packs more in line, but I may need to determine a way to power them down instead. I think that most packs are in the target range. Nearly every pack has been a threaten or grind out a value win.

The last consideration is trying to not make "best" pairings. This is why Kodama of the East Tree isn't in the green decks, as I could only choose it or Sakashima of a Thousand Faces to avoid a direct combo in the command zone. An example of a strong pairing would be Jeska, Thrice Reborn and Ardenn, Intrepid Archaeologist or Gilanra, Caller of Wirewood and Brinelin, the Moon Kraken, but neither of these reach a threshold of the same concern. A method to minimize this would be to decrease the number of commanders dealt out, as there would be reduced opportunity for the best possible pairings.
Last edited by Crazy Monkey 1 year ago, edited 19 times in total.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

Tags:

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 1 year ago

This is amazing - I've been toying with a Battle for Baldur's Gate JumpStart Box myself so it's cool to see someone else tackling this.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Yeah, this looks like a really worthwhile project. Great work so far!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

I am planning to start reporting games in this thread, partially for note taking, and so I can try to track overall balance.

Deck 1: Prava of the Steel Legion + Halana, Kessig Ranger. This was a newer player, and they could have had a much larger impact on the game with minor changes in threat assessment. Mostly saw cards from Halana and drew many cards via Toski, Bearer of Secrets.

Deck 2: Gilanra, Caller of Wirewood + Brinelin, the Moon Kraken. Quickly ramped out Gilded Lotus, Chromatic Orrery, and Nyxbloom Ancient, which all paid for each other and more 6+ MV spells. Infinite combo via Brinelin on turn 7, but could have been disrupted easily with removal.

Deck 3: Ardenn, Intrepid Archaeologist + Tormod, the Desecrator. This was mostly Ardenn, using Flickering Ward for cast triggers and interaction. Missed 2 land drops and seemed the weakest pairing.

Deck 4: Malcolm, Keen-Eyed Navigator + Toggo, Goblin Weaponsmith. This was also a newer player who could have disrupted the game with different threat assessment. They were the second most proactive deck, and had multiple draw/treasure/rock engines online for most of the game.

Deck 5: Alena, Kessig Trapper + Akroma, Vision of Ixidor. This deck started being a threat on turn 4 and continued attacking for large, lifelink quantities each turn. This drew nearly all removal cast over the game, and was the central focus, leading to other threats being overlooked. However, had Odric, Lunarch Marshal not been removed, one or more players would have been removed via combat prior to the eventual combo turn, so it's difficult to say threat assessment was wrong.

Assessment: 4/5 decks either were a threat to the table or directly interacted with threats. The decks seem to have played well, with one deck underperforming. Tormod is somewhat parasitic and likely needs some improvement. That may be leaning more into zombie tribal or some other method.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

A couple more games to report. I was only in the first one, so the second game is more of a recap/feedback from players.

Game 1: this game quickly had 4/5 players building massive board states, with voltron, tokens, golems and deathtouch. The last player mostly played a more control game. Each player was either a must-answer threat or won in the last turn cycle.

Deck 1: Ardenn, Intrepid Archaeologist + Nocturno of Myra's Marvels. Lifelink creatures with auras and a fair amount of interaction. Draw was named on "creature" and they could consistently pay and gain 10+ life with protection auras.

Deck 2: Prava of the Steel Legion + Keskit, the Flesh Sculptor. I had theorized that this combination may be absurd and it centralized the game on turn 3. Attacking for near triple digits happened twice, but other decks had larger threats so Intangible Virtue stuck around for most on the game. Keskit reloaded hand well.

Deck 3: Malcolm, Keen-Eyed Navigator + Ich-Tekik, Salvage Splicer had massive piles of tokens. Mechanized Production on Academy Manufactor was nearly a win, and treasure from Malcolm made Darksteel Colossus a one-shot threat. The downside of Precursor Golem with removal was a blowout that lead to the attacks over the last turns.

Deck 4: Halana, Kessig Ranger and Alena, Kessig Trapper. This deck threatened to take over the game with Hornet Queen and Jaxis, the Troublemaker. Even after disruption the pile of flying deathtouch made attacking them virtually impossible. They saved their board wipe until after multiple other players were eliminated and estimated that going into the endgame with one opponent and a much high life total.

Deck 5: Livio, Oathsworn Sentinel + Jeska, Thrice Reborn was played by a newer player. They played mostly value and control, removing key permanents. Their endgame board state was mediocre, but sandbagging a damage doubler with Banefire burned out the last player.

Game 2 had two players fighting each other for most of the game.

Deck 1: Malcolm, Keen-Eyed Navigator + Krark, the Thumbless was the central control deck. I know of at least 3 hits from Pongify alone. The mana generated by Malcolm was key to their success.

Deck 2: Jeska, Thrice Reborn + Ghost of Ramirez DePietro This deck wasn't a threat for the majority of the game but landed Atemsis, All-Seeing to eliminate the last opponent with high life and used Jeska to burn the other.

Deck 3: Sengir, the Dark Baron + Prava of the Steel Legion was a threat all game and drew the majority of the removal.

Deck 4: Eligeth, Crossroads Augur + Halana, Kessig Ranger. Kept a low land hand and missed land drops for a while. Eventually played Triskaidekaphile and got close enough to winning that they were attacked as player removal.

Overall notes; 1 out of 9 decks got mana screwed, so shuffling more appears to reduce this issue. I am somewhat concerned that certain packs are being played more often, with Malcolm, Jeska, and Prava specifically being played more often. Reducing the number of commanders dealt during draft should improve this. Primary feedback for edits was that Ghost needs more evasion.
Commander Decks

Kelzam
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Kelzam » 10 months ago

Are you still developing this battle box? Any more experience testing it since a couple months ago? I had the thought to make this exact kind of battle box with mixing partner Commanders and Jumpstart, so I'm curious about any other experience you've had :)
Level 1 Judge US-South
Founder of MTG Salvation (2005-2019), Proud New Patron of MTG Nexus! (2019+)

My CMDR Primers:

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 10 months ago

Kelzam wrote:
10 months ago
Are you still developing this battle box? Any more experience testing it since a couple months ago? I had the thought to make this exact kind of battle box with mixing partner Commanders and Jumpstart, so I'm curious about any other experience you've had :)
This project is still active, and we were playing it a couple of times a week. It's been sidelined for about 6 weeks as members of my group pivoted to practice for a series of cEDH tournament.

The memorable changes were the addition of a Kediss, Emberclaw Familiar pack and removing Storm-Kiln Artist to power down Krark. I also added Painter's Servant and Grindstone to Ghost.

We were testing some more advanced commander selection draft methods to add variety. I think that almost everyone who has played this had fun with it.

I will try to update the decklists this week.
Commander Decks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Variant Commander”