NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

Juancu
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Juancu » 2 years ago

Itchy Support 1W
Instant
Put a Flea counter on target creature (it's a +1/+1 counter that jumps out if its carrier leaves the battlefield. Then it's a 0/1 colorless Flea artifact creature token with "As other creatures you control attack, you may have this creature jump onto one of them as a counter.")

IIW: Red Flags
Last edited by Juancu 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Cythare » 2 years ago

Inkmoth Praxis 3UU
Sorcery (U)
Draw a card for each poison counter target opponent has. Then, if that player has two or fewer poison counters, return Inkmoth Praxis to your hand.

IIW: A flare for the dramatic
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 2 years ago

Phyrexian Harbinger 5
Artifact Creature - Phyrexian {R}
When Phyrexian Harbinger enters the battlefield, if your commander is a Praetor, Phyrexian Harbinger gains its abilities until end of turn.
4/4

IIW: balance
MEG

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 2 years ago

Platinum's Eminence 1W
Instant
Until the end of turn, your life total can not change.
Draw a card.

IIW: Draft Matters
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 2 years ago

SPOILER
Show
Hide
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
2 years ago
Scrap Cannon 0
Artifact (U)
X,T, Exile X artifact cards from your graveyard: Scrap Cannon deals X damage to any target.
The razorgrass made great ammunition, but collecting it took a lot of fingers.

IIW: A card that radically changes a character (as Odric, Blood-Cursed to Odric).
That's cute. Quite a narrow limited buildaround but I could see it playing a role (at worst as a colorless Banefire equivalent, I suppose).
spacemonaut wrote:
2 years ago
I'd caution that when we're being mean for a joke, we're still winding up being mean.
Can a non-card entry win?
spacemonaut wrote:
2 years ago
Worker of the Forge 1RW
Artifact Creature — Golem Artificer (R)
Whenever Worker of the Forge and at least one other creature attack, you get (an energy counter).
, Pay nine : Create a 9/9 colorless Golem artifact creature token. Activate only as a sorcery.
2/3

Peon of the Forge
Creature — Goblin (U)
Haste
, Sacrifice Peon of the Forge: You get (an energy counter).
1/1

(Naturally this is not going to fit into the original Mirrodin sets, but instead into some kind of Old Mirrodin revisit set with reimagined mechanics like we might be getting with Brothers' War.)

IIW: Create a day/night matters card that isn't a Werewolf or isn't on Innistrad (or both).
Oh, that's fun. Shifting alternate mechanics to Mirrodin - though Maro has mentioned that energy originally came from Mirrodin, right? Fitting, and the card tie well to Mirrodin.
Legend wrote:
2 years ago
Etched Automaton (Uncommon)
Artifact Creature – Assembly-Worker
1/1
Fabricate — Sunburst (When this creature enters the battlefield, for each color of mana spent to cast it, put a +1/+1 counter on it or create a 1/1 colorless Servo artifact creature token.)

If I win, I promise to be nice judging cards with two mechanics never before seen together on the same card.
I don't know if Servos fit well enough into Mirrodin to make Fabricate work. It feels like 1/1 Myr should be the artifact creature token of choice.
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
2 years ago
Skyskimmer Pteron
2ww
Creature - Dinosaur (U)
Flying
Whenever Skyskimmer Pteron attacks or blocks, target creature you control without flying gains flying until end of turn.
2/3
Before the leonin were skyhunters, the pterons ruled the skies.

IIW: Bizarre uses of cleave
This is... such a stretch flavourwise. As a card, it's not a bad role-player in limited, but I feel like it's a design we already see every other set. That and the `or blocks` part doesn't actually do anything, since by the time you give something flying, it will already have blocked (or been unable to block)
lookingupanddown wrote:
2 years ago
Legacy of the Vanished Ones 2WW
Enchantment
Metalcraft — At the beginning of your end step, proliferate. If you control three or more artifacts, proliferate again.
For those left behind after The Vanishing, rebuilding hinged on the works left behind by those who came before them.

Necrogen Injector 3BB
Creature - Zombie Horror
Imprint — Whenever a creature dealt damage by Necrogen Injector this turn dies, exile it.
2BB, : Return target creature card exiled by Necrogen Injector from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped under your control, That creature is a black Zombie in addition to its other colors and types.
"Most nim produce necrogen passively, just incidentally spreading the gas wherever they go. This one was built for a more direct approach."
—Geth, keeper of the vault

4/4

IIW: a moment of desperation
Legacy: An enchantment with metalcraft feels really weird. It doesn't feel particularly white, either, as proliferate was always more of a Phyrexian mechanic.
Injector: I like this one. Sits well with Geth and some of the other graveyard cards from previous blocks, though it seems a bit hard to use if it (usually) needs to win in combat.
chetoos wrote:
2 years ago
Mirrodin Pure 3WWW
Enchantment
When this card enters the battlefield, remove all poison counters from all players, and all -1/-1 counters from all creatures.
Creatures lose infect and can't have or gain infect.
If a poison or -1/-1 counter would be placed on a permanent or player, it is not placed instead.
At the cost of their sparks, Koth, Karn, and Venser managed to cleanse Mirrodin of the phyrexian scourge, once and for all.

IIW: "Draft a card from this card's spellbook."
Boy this is narrow. If Mirrodin were to win, I imagine Wizards might print something like this, but it really does way too much nothing for a 6 mana hate card. Melira, Sylvok Outcast costs two mana. Sure, this removes all the counters when it comes in, but I don't see that being too relevant too often.
Juancu wrote:
2 years ago
Itchy Support 1W
Instant
Put a Flea counter on target creature (it's a +1/+1 counter that jumps out if its carrier leaves the battlefield. Then it's a 0/1 colorless Flea artifact creature token with "As other creatures you control attack, you may have this creature jump onto one of them as a counter.")

IIW: Red Flags
that's kinda funny. Why does this feel really similar to the card that won last round...? :thinking: I think this is better as a card. Being a mechanic just asks way too many questions and a card is slightly more helpful with memory issues.
Cythare wrote:
2 years ago
Inkmoth Praxis 3UU
Sorcery (U)
Draw a card for each poison counter target opponent has. Then, if that player has two or fewer poison counters, return Inkmoth Praxis to your hand.

Ooh, that's cute. This seems a little on the spicy end, given that there's a huge gap between the fair end (< 4) and the actual maximum (10). Drawing 5, 6, 7 cards off this just as you're running out of fuel seems kind of insane for an uncommon in limited? But I like the overall idea of it.
Megiddo wrote:
2 years ago
Phyrexian Harbinger 5
Artifact Creature - Phyrexian {R}
When Phyrexian Harbinger enters the battlefield, if your commander is a Praetor, Phyrexian Harbinger gains its abilities until end of turn.
4/4

IIW: balance
:sick: but i can understand it. It's unfortunate it does highly variable amounts of work depending on the Praetor (The Nuts with Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite as a board wipe on a stick, completely useless with Sheoldred, Whispering One). Wonder if this could have lasted until your next turn? or even the end of your next turn?
Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
Platinum's Eminence 1W
Instant
Until the end of turn, your life total can not change.
Draw a card.

IIW: Draft Matters
Ah, it's like a slightly narrower Angel's Grace but cantripping. Realistically, it's more like a Fog which... actually seems really good as a cantrip. Are there any Fog cantrips? It's a functional card and a clean reference, but I'm not sure I like where the play patterns might go.
Winner: spacemonaut
Next: Create a day/night matters card that isn't a Werewolf or isn't on Innistrad (or both).

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 2 years ago

NinjaCaterpie wrote:
2 years ago
Legend wrote:
2 years ago
Etched Automaton (Uncommon)
Artifact Creature – Assembly-Worker
1/1
Fabricate — Sunburst (When this creature enters the battlefield, for each color of mana spent to cast it, put a +1/+1 counter on it or create a 1/1 colorless Servo artifact creature token.)

If I win, I promise to be nice judging cards with two mechanics never before seen together on the same card.
I don't know if Servos fit well enough into Mirrodin to make Fabricate work. It feels like 1/1 Myr should be the artifact creature token of choice.
Yeah. I wondered the same thing and considered "Fabricate Myr" but decided against it.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Legend
Aethernaut

Blood Shot (Uncommon)
R
Instant
If it's day, target creature gets +3/+3 until end of turn. If it's night, Blood Shot deals 5 damage to that creature instead.

IIW: two existing mechanics that have never been together on the same card
Last edited by Legend 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

NinjaCaterpie wrote:
2 years ago
This is... such a stretch flavourwise.
>:O

Pteron Ghost

Skyhunters
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 2 years ago

Insomniac 1W
Creature - Human {R}
When Insomniac enters the battlefield, if it's neither day nor night, it can't become day or night for the rest of the game.
2/2

IIW: your......... least favorite mechanic
MEG

NinjaCaterpie

Oh, they actually are dinosaurs.

Consider me corrected.

Unassuming Cafe
Land (R)
Daybound
T: Add C
1, T: Add one mana of any color.

//

Shadowed Safehouse
Land (R)
Nightbound
T: Add U or B
1, T: Return target creature you control to its owner's hand.

IIW: A card from the next Modern Horizons, Modern Horizons: What If...?, where Wizards explores alternative timelines like "What if Ugin beat Bolas?" or "What if Liliana became cursed instead of Josu?"

Juancu

NinjaCaterpie wrote:
2 years ago
that's kinda funny. Why does this feel really similar to the card that won last round...? :thinking: I think this is better as a card. Being a mechanic just asks way too many questions and a card is slightly more helpful with memory issues.

I skipped that challenge (and actually I'm not too good at checking out the competition) so I was really amazed at the similarity :grin: . Exactly a two-word 1W Instant that puts one +1/+1 counter that gets to jump on something else! But I guess it's explained by Modular being my exact inspiration for this challenge, and trying to reconceptualice the +1/+1 counter as a tiny being... because this was actually a second iteration on my previous entry for Segovia, in which I made a tiny creature that could become a counter as well.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

Dozing Owl
2u
Creature - Bird (U)
Ward 1
Dozing Owl can't attack or block.
Daybound
0/2
=======
Nocturnal Predator
Creature - Bird ()
Flying
Ward-Pay 3 life.
Nightbound
3/1

Innocuous Sprite
2u
Creature - Faerie Rogue (C)
Flying
Daybound
2/2
===============
Dream Robber
Creature - Faerie Rogue (b)
Flying
Whenever this creature enters the battlefield or transforms into Dream Robber, you draw a card and lose 1 life.
Nightbound
3/1

Art: Lorwyn Faerie on daybound side, Shadowmoor Faerie on nightbound side

IIW: Bizarre uses of cleave.
Last edited by Sporegorger_Dragon 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 2 years ago

Just to confirm: if your card references just day or just night, that's fine too. Moonrager's Slash is an example.

Remember the game starts as neither day nor night; day/night tracking only starts once something initiates day (or night). The daybound ability starts this tracking off automatically.

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 2 years ago

Good Night, Sweet Prince 1WU
Enchantment — Aura (U)
Enchant creature
When Good Night, Sweet Prince enters the battlefield, tap enchanted creature. It becomes night and you become the monarch.
As long as it's night, enchanted creature doesn't untap during its controller's untap step.

Note: I wanted this to also Twiddle based on the day/night cycle, but it was way too much text.
Last edited by Cythare 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 2 years ago

Teferi's Ticking Timebox 1WU
Legendary Artifact
When this card enters the battlefield, if it's neither day nor night, it becomes day.
Other card's abilities can't change day to night or night to day.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if the day/night cycle has not changed since the beginning of your last turn, then it becomes day if it's night, or night if it's day.
Whenever day becomes night, or night becomes day, draw a card. If the change happened because of this card's ability, you gain 2 life instead.
"My time magic is sometimes a little too strong, so I use this to make sure everything happens as it should." Teferi, master of time.

IIW: Draft a card from this card's spellbook.

Juancu

Twilight WB
Enchantment (R)
It's day and night.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Rules: You'd obviously hold the cards standing in the middle in the table. No? All right, all right,

Eternal Twilight WB
Enchantment (R)
It's always day for your opponents and night for you.

Mergatroid_Jones

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 2 years ago

It Waits B
Enchantment (U)
When It Waits enters the battlefield, it becomes day.
When it becomes day, sacrifice all Nightmare tokens and gain 1 life.
When it becomes night, create a 3/3 Nightmare creature token with menace.

IIW: 0 mana cards.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 2 years ago

Battered Book 2U
Artifact (R)
Daybound
When Fallen Book enters the battlefield or transforms into Fallen Book, Investigate.
1, T: Draw a card and discard a card.
===============
Illiterate's Bane
Creature - Spirit
Nightbound
Flying
Whenever Illiterate's Bane attacks or transforms into Illiterate's Bane, tap target creature. It doesn't untap during its opponents next untap step.
3/1

IIW: Draft Matters cards
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Juancu

Masquerade 2UB
Enchantment (R)
When Masquerade enters the battlefield, it becomes night.
Whenever it becomes night, turn all nontoken creatures face down. (They're 2/2 creatures.)
Whenever it becomes day, turn face up each face down permanent.

IIW: going solo

Juancu

The Last Day 2BBB
Enchantment
When The Last Day enters the battlefield, each player draws a card and it becomes day. If that day ends at the start of your turn, win the game.
Whenever a player casts a spell, they draw a card and lose 1 life.

Win condition: make your opponent cast no spells during their turn. This got harder because of all the card draw, but you may use discard, or simply abuse lifegain effects while the opponent withers.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 2 years ago

Legend wrote:
2 years ago
Blood Shot (Uncommon)
R
Instant
If it's day, target creature gets +3/+3 until end of turn. If it's night, Blood Shot deals 5 damage to that creature instead.

IIW: two existing mechanics that have never been together on the same card
This has the day/night gotcha: at the start of the game, it's not day and it's not night. Something has to set the game to one of those for day/night to start getting tracked. It would need the sunrise trigger to set it to day first, unless you intend for it to do nothing early on.

That said, this is ... really strong, problematically so! It's a Giant Growth in red at daytime, when red normally gets power boost only with minimal or no toughness boost. (Brute Force does exist, but it was one of those color pie breaks out of planar chaos and is not a card red otherwise gets.) It's also better than a Lightning Axe at nighttime. It's also got the versatility of being your choice of either of those cards over the course of the game. That's a bit too much.

Those numbers need tuning. Otherwise, neat concept.
Megiddo wrote:
2 years ago
Insomniac 1W
Creature - Human {R}
When Insomniac enters the battlefield, if it's neither day nor night, it can't become day or night for the rest of the game.
2/2

IIW: your......... least favorite mechanic
This is pretty great actually, if frighteningly strong. This should probably be a static ability (e.g. "It can't become day or night.") so we can remove it and have a chance of resuming with a core mechanic; in a lot of games on the play it'll stand a very good chance of being the first creature out.
NinjaCaterpie wrote:
2 years ago
Unassuming Cafe
Land (R)
Daybound
T: Add C
1, T: Add one mana of any color.

//

Shadowed Safehouse
Land (R)
Nightbound
T: Add U or B
1, T: Return target creature you control to its owner's hand.

IIW: A card from the next Modern Horizons, Modern Horizons: What If...?, where Wizards explores alternative timelines like "What if Ugin beat Bolas?" or "What if Liliana became cursed instead of Josu?"
This is a great pairing of faces, and good color coding. You might want to slap a color cost on that rescue ability to keep it in-color, though I guess red probably wouldn't be playing this card to begin with.
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
2 years ago
Dozing Owl
2u
Creature - Bird (U)
Ward 1
Dozing Owl can't attack or block.
Daybound
0/2
=======
Nocturnal Predator
Creature - Bird ()
Flying
Ward-Pay 3 life.
Nightbound
3/1

Innocuous Sprite
2u
Creature - Faerie Rogue (C)
Flying
Daybound
2/2
===============
Dream Robber
Creature - Faerie Rogue (b)
Flying
Whenever this creature enters the battlefield or transforms into Dream Robber, you draw a card and lose 1 life.
Nightbound
3/1

Art: Lorwyn Faerie on daybound side, Shadowmoor Faerie on nightbound side

IIW: Bizarre uses of cleave.
I love the owl. That's a real cute use of daybound/nightbound. It's always nice to see the different ways slumbering/sleeping restrictions can be pulled off, too.

Both of these are solid, good cards.

Cythare wrote:
2 years ago
Good Night, Sweet Prince 1WU
Enchantment — Aura (U)
Enchant creature
When Good Night, Sweet Prince enters the battlefield, tap enchanted creature. It becomes night and you become the monarch.
As long as it's night, enchanted creature doesn't untap during its controller's untap step.

Note: I wanted this to also Twiddle based on the day/night cycle, but it was way too much text.
Solid. Good work. This would even be wholesome, but for the sinister vibes of you becoming the monarch once he gets sent to sleep. (That's not a minus by any means, it's part of a good narrative package.)
chetoos wrote:
2 years ago
Teferi's Ticking Timebox 1WU
Legendary Artifact
When this card enters the battlefield, if it's neither day nor night, it becomes day.
Other card's abilities can't change day to night or night to day.
At the beginning of your upkeep, if the day/night cycle has not changed since the beginning of your last turn, then it becomes day if it's night, or night if it's day.
Whenever day becomes night, or night becomes day, draw a card. If the change happened because of this card's ability, you gain 2 life instead.
"My time magic is sometimes a little too strong, so I use this to make sure everything happens as it should." Teferi, master of time.

IIW: Draft a card from this card's spellbook.
Teferi will have order to this nonsense! I like that two competing timeboxes mess each other up. The last ability had me thinking for a while before I realised the card still allows state based actions to change the day/night cycle as normal, just that cards can't mess with it.

This is a pretty fancy card. I want to know how much it'll actually feel like it does in gameplay, since very few cards actually try to directly change the day/night cycle, but drawing cards and/or gaining life on the regular would be a treat.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
2 years ago
It Waits B
Enchantment (U)
When It Waits enters the battlefield, it becomes day.
When it becomes day, sacrifice all Nightmare tokens and gain 1 life.
When it becomes night, create a 3/3 Nightmare creature token with menace.

IIW: 0 mana cards.
Scary! It makes me a lil sad it's a bit of a nonbo with the other Nightmare toekn producers, Chainer's Torment and Ashiok, Nightmare Muse. I might rather give that sceond ability to the token directly: "When it becomes day, sacrifice this creature and you gain 1 life." In isolation, fine card, it's a great narrative and an appropriately difficult-to-remove persistent nightmare. I might bump the cost up or revise the nightmare stats down just a bit, but it's good—that balancing would be a fine line to walk..
Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
Battered Book 2U
Artifact (R)
Daybound
When Fallen Book enters the battlefield or transforms into Fallen Book, Investigate.
1, T: Draw a card and discard a card.
===============
Illiterate's Bane
Creature - Spirit
Nightbound
Flying
Whenever Illiterate's Bane attacks or transforms into Illiterate's Bane, tap target creature. It doesn't untap during its opponents next untap step.
3/1

IIW: Draft Matters cards
Good card. I dno't have much to say about it other than I hope the last ability is either bonking the creature on the head or making them so confused they have to spend extra study time to digest what they're reading. You done good.
Juancu wrote:
2 years ago
Masquerade 2UB
Enchantment (R)
When Masquerade enters the battlefield, it becomes night.
Whenever it becomes night, turn all nontoken creatures face down. (They're 2/2 creatures.)
Whenever it becomes day, turn face up each face down permanent.

IIW: going solo
(Your other entries were missing IIWs so I'm interpreting this as the "real" entry. The colors on Twilight were well chosen lol.)

This is gorgeous and clever. Note from Ixidron's rulings, we can still tell the face down creatures apart, so we'd be entitled to remember which one was formerly a Den Protector and which was formerly a Bane of the Living. If you want to change this, you'd need to shuffle them together in a pile (which won't require them leaving the battlefield). Still, even that fits the Masquerade narrative: Masquerades involved a game of trying to figure out what was what.

Winner: Sporegorger_Dragon
HM: Juancu, Mergatroid_Jones

Next: Bizarre uses of cleave.

NinjaCaterpie

Rend Matter 1G
Sorcery (R)
Destroy target [nonland] {noncreature} permanent.
Cleave 1RG (You may cast this spell for its cleave cost. If you do, remove the words in square brackets.)
Curlcleave 1BG (As above, but curly braces)
Megacleave BRG (All brackets)

Juancu

Kekora, Mechanic of Unification WU
Legendary Creature - Human Artificer (M)
Each spell you cast cleaved, entwined, mutated, awoken, bestowed, conspired, evoked, fused, overloaded, or replicated, is kicked.
Cleave UWBRG
When Kekora enters the battlefield, kicked spells you cast [this turn] cost 1 less.
1/5

IIW: surprise mechanics

Mergatroid_Jones

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 2 years ago

Swapped my first submission for the more fun one.

Wracked by the Storm 1G
Instant (U)
Cleave 2U (You may cast this spell for its cleave cost. If you do, remove the words in square brackets.)
[Put a +1/+1] counter [on] target creature [for each] spell [that has been cast this turn].
bonus
Show
Hide

[Jace,] Mirrored Planeswalker 2U
[Legendary] Planeswalker- [Jace] (R)
Cleave UU (You may cast this spell for its cleave cost. If you do, remove the words in square brackets.)
0: Scry 1, then put a loyalty counter on each blue planesalker you control.
[-2: Return target creature or planeswalker to its owner's hand.
-4: Draw four cards.]

Remade by the Moon 5
Sorcery (R)
Cleave 1U
Exile target creature. It's controller creates a 3/2 colorless Eldrazi creature token [with "Colored spells cost you 1 more to cast. Colorless spells cost you 1 less to cast." You may put a +1/+1 counter on that creature].

Orim's Genius 3U
Instant (R)
Cleave 2w
Target player [draws three cards. That player] can't cast play lands or spells this turn.

IIW: Non-traditional planeswalkers
Last edited by Mergatroid_Jones 2 years ago, edited 15 times in total.

Legend
Aethernaut

Invisible Ink (Uncommon)
W
Instant
Cleave 0
[Target permanent loses all abilities until end of turn.]
Scry 1.

IIW: What if two existing legendary creatures had a custom legendary baby? (Races, genders, and lore don't necessarily matter.)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”