Tiny Leaders Duel Decks - Hub

cheonice
Death to Chronos.
Pronoun: he / him

Post by cheonice » 4 months ago

Ever since I became a father my time with Magic shifted from playing to talking and brewing. So without furter ado, meet my newest project:

Tiny Leaders Duel Decks

This is a new spin on the old Duel Decks mixed with one of the more interesting Commander variant: Tiny Leaders!

The Duel Decks contained two out-of-the-box playable decks and featured two rivaling factions or planeswalkers. They were discontinued in 2018.

Tiny Leaders was/is variant of Commander with a twist: The decks are only allowed to contain cards with mana value 3 or less. The deck size is set to 49+1 cards and each player starts with 20 life. The rest of the deck construction followes the normal commander rules, even though there were some variants. Typically it would be played by two players and featured a much faster gameplay than Commander. While it originated in 2013, it unfortunately never took off. This makes it perfect for a return as a Duel Deck!

I'm planning on building multiple of these, so this thread will serve as a hub. You can find the individual decklists each in its own thread. Each Duel Deck will feature two out-of-the-box playable Tiny Leaders decks, that should provide a fun, fast experience to play while you wait betwen two Commander games or to introduce new folks to Commander and Tiny Leaders. The power level is set somewhere in the mid- to high-powered casual level. Each box will contain a small rules and strategy insert.

Table of Contents

GridArt_20240209_070531059.jpg

Last edited by cheonice 6 days ago, edited 17 times in total.

Tags:

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 4 months ago

Never played tiny leaders, how quick do the games tend to be?

Are you planning on assembling these boxes, or just enjoying brewing them?
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 4 months ago

Typically it's played as a best-of-three with sideboards, so it should take about the same length as an average 60-card-match. Some folks are building decks that are quite competitive, someone even called it a lovechild of EDH and Legacy. Not the power level I am aiming for, though.
If you are interested in the format, Tiny Leaders Reborn is probably the most active community.

I'm definitively planning on building some of these. I liked the format but it never catched fire. My friends and me each built one deck, but that was all. We played maybe three games.

The Duel Decks are a chance to revisit tje format and build some commanders, that I never got the chance or will to build for EDH.

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 3 weeks ago

I built Grenzo vs. Kumena in paper and recently got the chance to test it. The games were fast and enjoyable, the perfect thing to play while waiting for the next round to begin.

10/10, would play again.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Variant Commander”