Judging tomorrow, get your planes in

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 4 months ago

Towns of the en-Vec
Plane - Rath (S)
At the beginning of combat on your turn, create a 1/1 white Human creature token.
Whenever a Human or Kor attacks, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
Whenever chaos ensues, you may create Avtga il-Kor, a 0/1 legendary blue Kor creature token with shadow and "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, draw that many cards."

IIW: Think back to your first booster pack. Design a rare or mythic card that would have fit in that set and would have been better than your first rare.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 4 months ago

Here we go on the weatherlight!
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
4 months ago
Vlaryk's Backyard
Plane - Trusmadi Mokara
At the beginning of your end step, create X 1/1 green Saproling creature tokens, where X is the number of times you descended this turn. (You descend each time a permanent card is put into your graveyard from anywhere.)
========================
Whenever chaos ensues, each player mills ten cards. If you milled cards this way, you may put a permanent card from among the cards milled this way into your hand.
"GET OFF MY LAWN!!"

IIW: Annoying faerie
A plane from a custom card, I like the idea here. very cohesive package, works well together.
Megiddo wrote:
4 months ago
The Restaurant at the End of the Multiverse
Plane — Equilor
If you would planeswalk away from The Restaurant at the End of the Multiverse, gain 3 life instead. (You remain here.)
======
Whenever chaos ensues, ignore all abilities of The Restaurant at the End of the Multiverse until end of turn.

IIW: Interplanar Winter Vacation
Oh, now this is very exciting, you need to roll chaos to escape, I know of the reference, but I haven't read that far into hitchhiker's guide to know for sure, but it seems flavorful.
void_nothing wrote:
4 months ago
Towns of the en-Vec
Plane - Rath (S)
At the beginning of combat on your turn, create a 1/1 white Human creature token.
Whenever a Human or Kor attacks, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
Whenever chaos ensues, you may create Avtga il-Kor, a 0/1 legendary blue Kor creature token with shadow and "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, draw that many cards."

IIW: Think back to your first booster pack. Design a rare or mythic card that would have fit in that set and would have been better than your first rare.
And finally, a plane from an actual MTG plane, well, one that used to exist anyway. I kind of wish that the chaos ability gave you something even if you already have avtga.

Winner: @Megiddo
Next: Interplanar Winter Vacation

chetoos

Bretagard Ski Lodge
Snow Land
: add
2s: Target creature with power 2 or less gains snow landwalk until end of turn. If a player other than Bretagard Ski Lodge's controller activates this ability, its controller creates a treasure token. Any player may activate this ability, but only once each turn.
The Rakdos cultists were welcome guests for the first week, nuisances for the second, and an entrenched enemy for the rest of the season.

IIW: A way to have multiple commanders (existing or new)

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 4 months ago

First Snow
{U}{R}
Snow Sorcery (U)
Scry X, where X is the amount of {S} spent to cast this spell. Discard up to two cards, then draw that many cards plus one.
"Huatli, have you ever seen anything as wonderful as this?"
"Other than you Saheeli? No."

"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Megiddo
MEG
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Megiddo » 4 months ago

by 2030 they'll have to replace Snow with Cold Rain
MEG

lookingupanddown

Post by lookingupanddown » 4 months ago

Palazzo del Nord
Legendary Snow Land
You may have Palazzo del Nord enter the battlefield tapped. If you do, you become the monarch.
: Add C. If you are the monarch, add one mana of any color.
5, : Proliferate. If you control a legendary creature or planeswalker, create a Treasure token.
"Brago had the royal summer mansion converted into a big vacation place long ago. Now Paliano's richest go here to relax and store their money tax-free. A lot of planeswalkers thought that was a good idea too."
—Davriel Cane

IIW: re-spark a planeswalker

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 4 months ago

vacation went wrong

Snowed In 1WB
Snow Enchantment — Aura (U)
Enchant creature
Snowed In may be cast as though it had flash if was spent to cast it.
Enchanted creature can't attack or block, and gets -1/-1 for each snow permanent you control.

IIW: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

Megiddo
MEG

i'll judge … tonight!
MEG

chetoos

Who judges when Meg is the one delinquent on the judging?

Megiddo
MEG

still me
MEG

Megiddo
MEG

chetoos wrote:
4 months ago
Bretagard Ski Lodge
Snow Land
: add
2s: Target creature with power 2 or less gains snow landwalk until end of turn. If a player other than Bretagard Ski Lodge's controller activates this ability, its controller creates a treasure token. Any player may activate this ability, but only once each turn.
The Rakdos cultists were welcome guests for the first week, nuisances for the second, and an entrenched enemy for the rest of the season.

IIW: A way to have multiple commanders (existing or new)
This is intellectually interesting to me. There's a push and pull here—Outside of an environment where you can be reasonably certain the opponent will play a snow land, you're allowing the opponent a choice: Get a tunnel effect but at the cost of giving up a treasure. I don't know that this is enough to make me want to put this card in my deck. If we CAN be reasonably certain we will be encountering a snow land, it still seems like a small gain for a potential drawback. We do get Rogue's Passage after all. My real comment is that I'd like to see this on an artifact or enchantment. This card has a lot going on for a land, especially one that other players are allowed to activate. I'd prefer this be on a card type that is less likely to be buried under a pile of basic lands.
4 months ago
First Snow {U}{R}
Snow Sorcery (U)
Scry X, where X is the amount of {S} spent to cast this spell. Discard up to two cards, then draw that many cards plus one.
"Huatli, have you ever seen anything as wonderful as this?"
"Other than you Saheeli? No."

I like it. Very playable without any snow, pretty good when you have some. Making this multicolor with blue was a good choice as well, since I don't think red can get this ability this efficiently by itself.
lookingupanddown wrote:
4 months ago
Palazzo del Nord
Legendary Snow Land
You may have Palazzo del Nord enter the battlefield tapped. If you do, you become the monarch.
: Add C. If you are the monarch, add one mana of any color.
5, : Proliferate. If you control a legendary creature or planeswalker, create a Treasure token.
"Brago had the royal summer mansion converted into a big vacation place long ago. Now Paliano's richest go here to relax and store their money tax-free. A lot of planeswalkers thought that was a good idea too."
—Davriel Cane

IIW: re-spark a planeswalker
Oh jeeze. Turn 1 monarch for free puts this into Library of Alexandria territory. Honestly, better than Library. You can even use redundant copies to steal it back if they manage to wrest it away from you. I'm going to pretend that this card doesn't do that while I talk about the rest, since that line alone is pretty egregiously overpowered. In general I like the idea of a monarch-enabled land. We haven't seen one yet, actually, which might be a clue as to general power level of these things. I am curious why proliferate was the choice here for the second ability. I may be missing some context on why you went with that.
spacemonaut wrote:
4 months ago
Snowed In 1WB
Snow Enchantment — Aura (U)
Enchant creature
Snowed In may be cast as though it had flash if was spent to cast it.
Enchanted creature can't attack or block, and gets -1/-1 for each snow permanent you control.

IIW: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Interesting. The card is a baseline pacifism with the ability to significantly upgrade into hard removal if you have snow. Flash on a pacifism is a flag for me since it can trick the less experienced into making a play that doesn't work. However, in most normal circumstances you'll have some snow permanents in play if the card has flash, so if you do trick yourself into trying to "stop a guy from attacking" midcombat, you'll at least have shrunk their guy and may get to make a profitable block nonetheless. I'm not sure if that's smart design or if it should be taken back to reconfigure and avoid the opportunity for the misplay. My tiebreaker is Lawmage's Binding. Wizards clearly thinks it's ok (Binding is not only a common but was reprinted in ostensibly-for-new-players Jumpstart!) so we can lean on the side of smart design.

Winner: spacemonaut
Next: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
MEG

chetoos

How are you moving in my stopped time? 2uu
Enchantment
Untap all permanents you control during the untap step of extra turns other players take.
At the beginning of the draw step of extra turns your opponents take, you draw a card.
You may cast spells as though they had flash during main phases of extra turns your opponents take.
2uu: target opponent takes an extra turn after this turn. You can't activate this ability during extra turns.

But it was I, Dio! 2rr
Instant
As an additional cost to cast this spell, return a creature you control to its owner's hand
You may put a creature card from your hand onto the battlefield. It gains haste until end of turn

Oh, you're approaching me? 2g
Sorcery
Creatures targeted by this spell have shroud (once the spell has been cast)
Target creature you control fights target creature you don't control.
"but I can't kick your ass from all the way over here."

Iiw: fullmetal alchemist (Fullmetal Alchemist)
Last edited by chetoos 4 months ago, edited 4 times in total.

Megiddo
MEG

happy new year to those who celebrate
MEG

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 4 months ago

Even Speedwagon is Afraid!
1{B}
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +2/+0, has menace, and can't block.

Ora!
{R}{R}
Instant (U)
Replicate {R}
Ora! deals 1 damage to target creature, player or planeswalker.

Muda!
1{U}{U}
Instant (U)
Replicate {U}
Counter target spell with mana value 2 or less.

There Must Be a Stand-User Nearby
{U}{U}
Instant - (U)
Exile target spell you don't control. Its controller discovers X, where X is that spell's mana value.

"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

chetoos

The World, time stopper 2UU
Legendary Creature - Illusion Avatar
Stand (You can have two commanders if the other has stand user. When this creature etbs, you can pair it with an unpaired creature with stand user. When a creature with stand user etbs, you may pair that creature with this creature, if this creature is unpaired)
At the beginning of your end step during a non extra turn, if The World, Time stopper is paired with a stand user, choose a phase. You take an extra turn, but skip all phases other than the chosen phase. (The phases are beginning, main, combat, and ending. If you choose a main phase this way, it counts as a precombat main phase.)
3/3

IIW: Dracula!
Last edited by chetoos 4 months ago, edited 4 times in total.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Judging in like 12 hours. Happy new year!

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 4 months ago

Hamon Breathing W
Enchantment - Aura (C)
Enchant creature you control
Enchanted creature has protection from Vampires and from Zombies and "Whenever this creature becomes untapped, put a +1/+1 counter on it."
Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, untap enchanted creature.

Sunlight Yellow Overdrive RW
Instant (U)
Hamon - Whenever a creature an opponent controls is dealt damage this turn, if a creature you control was untapped by an effect you control this turn, exile that creature.
Sunlight Yellow Overdrive deals 4 damage to target creature. You gain 2 life.

Turquoise Blue Overdrive 1GU
Instant (U)
Hamon - Whenever a permanent an opponent controls is returned to its owner's hand from the battlefield this turn, if a creature you control was untapped by an effect you control this turn, draw a card.
Return target nonland permanent an opponent controls to its owner's hand. Put a +1/+1 counter on a creature you control.

P.S. I prefer the later parts but I found part 1 was easiest to make cards for.

IIW: Annoying Faerie that's neither blue nor black
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

chetoos

Time to see who judges first: @spacemonaut or @Megiddo

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

whoopsie, i'm here now! 24 hours is kinda like 12 hours, right?? work was a lot as it turned out and then a friend helped me beat chalice dungeon Rom the Vacuous and then we watched Leave the World Behind which is actually extremely good and we're both surprised that's an opinion a lot of people are disagreeing with. if you're in doubt go see it with a friend late at night when it's quiet outside.

anyway!!! judging
Last edited by spacemonaut 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

This round has tons of really fun top-down design choices. Thank you.
chetoos wrote:
4 months ago
How are you moving in my stopped time? 2uu
Enchantment
Untap all permanents you control during the untap step of extra turns other players take.
At the beginning of the draw step of extra turns your opponents take, you draw a card.
You may cast spells as though they had flash during main phases of extra turns your opponents take.
2uu: target opponent takes an extra turn after this turn. You can't activate this ability during extra turns.

But it was I, Dio! 2rr
Instant
As an additional cost to cast this spell, return a creature you control to its owner's hand
You may put a creature card from your hand onto the battlefield. It gains haste until end of turn

Oh, you're approaching me? 2g
Sorcery
Creatures targeted by this spell have shroud (once the spell has been cast)
Target creature you control fights target creature you don't control.
"but I can't kick your ass from all the way over here."

Iiw: fullmetal alchemist (Fullmetal Alchemist)
How are you moving... is a really clever anti-Extra Turn card, and probably actually a really good draw/go card. Have an upkeep trigger that wastes someone away, have 4 mana, simply keep them taking extra turns. I want to see what deck would pilot that.

But it was I, Dio! is a great kind of through the breach / sneak attack trick. The fact you can keep it forever is a big deal in these colors; I can ninjutsu my guy for Emrakul and keep him. That suggests this should be in another color, like green alongside Champion of Rhonas. I think this card's in a danger zone and would likely be banned in modern and standard but let's put it in the JoJo commander decks.

Oh, you're approaching me? is funny: two characters fighting solo in a tense situation to kick each other's ass while everyone else is helpless to stop it. It's great. The shroud will cause it to fail to resolve though. Give it split second instead, or a Spectra Ward style exception?

4 months ago
Even Speedwagon is Afraid!
1{B}
Enchantment - Aura (U)
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets +2/+0, has menace, and can't block.

Ora!
{R}{R}
Instant (U)
Replicate {R}
Ora! deals 1 damage to target creature, player or planeswalker.

Muda!
1{U}{U}
Instant (U)
Replicate {U}
Counter target spell with mana value 2 or less.

There Must Be a Stand-User Nearby
{U}{U}
Instant - (U)
Exile target spell you don't control. Its controller discovers X, where X is that spell's mana value.

Even Speedwagon is Afraid! is a great way to create a menacing fearful character. At first read of the name I was expecting it to make the enchanted creature afraid (pacifism?) but no, this is the guy Speedwagon is afraid of. Cool.

Ora and Muda: Extraordinary mirrored pair. Fantastic call on the costing of each and cancelling each other out this way. For the uninitiated, Ora and Muda sound like this; Ora doesn't mean anything, but Muda means useless!

There must be... is a really good counterspell, and a really interesting way to create a narrative surprise twist in gameplay.
chetoos wrote:
4 months ago
The World, time stopper 2UU
Legendary Creature - Illusion Avatar
Stand (You can have two commanders if the other has stand user. When this creature etbs, you can pair it with an unpaired creature with stand user. When a creature with stand user etbs, you may pair that creature with this creature, if this creature is unpaired)
At the beginning of your end step during a non extra turn, if The World, Time stopper is paired with a stand user, choose a phase. You take an extra turn, but skip all phases other than the chosen phase. (The phases are beginning, main, combat, and ending. If you choose a main phase this way, it counts as a precombat main phase.)
3/3

IIW: Dracula!
That's a lot of text to fit on a card, but luckily Soulbond (Deadeye Navigator) gives us a way to condense its reminder text, taking advantage of the fact that reminder text never has to quite resemble CR, just remind you of it:

Stand (You can have two commanders if the other has stand user. You may pair this with another unpaired stand user when either enters the battlefield.)

Ok, with that resolved I could properly digest the card. I really like the potential for Stand and Stand User, and I love this "one extra phase" effect. Wonderful design.
void_nothing wrote:
4 months ago
Hamon Breathing W
Enchantment - Aura (C)
Enchant creature you control
Enchanted creature has protection from Vampires and from Zombies and "Whenever this creature becomes untapped, put a +1/+1 counter on it."
Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, untap enchanted creature.

Sunlight Yellow Overdrive RW
Instant (U)
Hamon - Whenever a creature an opponent controls is dealt damage this turn, if a creature you control was untapped by an effect you control this turn, exile that creature.
Sunlight Yellow Overdrive deals 4 damage to target creature. You gain 2 life.

Turquoise Blue Overdrive 1GU
Instant (U)
Hamon - Whenever a permanent an opponent controls is returned to its owner's hand from the battlefield this turn, if a creature you control was untapped by an effect you control this turn, draw a card.
Return target nonland permanent an opponent controls to its owner's hand. Put a +1/+1 counter on a creature you control.

P.S. I prefer the later parts but I found part 1 was easiest to make cards for.

IIW: Annoying Faerie that's neither blue nor black
I really like how Hamon lays down its ripple effect: you do the thing, and this time and whenever that thing happens this turn you get a significant benefit or even upgrade on the effect as long as you're keeping up your hamon breathing. Good ability word and handling of it!

Hamon Breathing itself is a solid card. Great protection choices and a guaranteed powerhouse in and of itself. It might warrant costing a tad more—take a look at how much Prowess gets done—but it's solid overall.

Sunlight Yellow Overdrive is great, but I'm concerned about the potential to do an exile board wipe on the opponent for 2 mana because I cast this after declaring attackers/blockers. This should definitely cost more or downgrade the removal or trigger to something else.

Turqoise Blue Overdrive is great removal and well tuned.

I like color choices on those overdrives.

Winner: Sporegorger_Dragon for Ora and Muda

Next: Annoying Faerie

chetoos

Oko is a faerie because his son is a faerie

Oko, fast hand 2GU
Legendary Planeswalker - Oko
Quickdraw (Players can't cast spells or activate abilities without quickdraw while a quickdraw spell or ability is resolving)
+1 - Up to one target creature or artifact becomes a 3/3 creature without abilities until your next turn
-3 - Create a food token, plus an additional food token for each other permanent you control with quickdraw.
-7 - Choose target creature. You may have that creature's controller gain control of X artifacts you control, or a creature or artifact you control with mana value X, where X is half that creature's mana value, rounded down. If you do, you gain control of that creature.

IIW: Fullmetal Alchemist (Fullmetal Alchemist)
Last edited by chetoos 4 months ago, edited 2 times in total.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Prickling Sprite 1UR
Creature — Faerie Rogue (R)
Flying
Whenever an opponent draws a card, you may tap another untapped Faerie you control. If you do, Prickling Sprite deals 1 damage to that opponent.
Whenever Prickling Sprite deals combat damage to a player, each player draws a card.
1/1

IIW: the swamp
Last edited by spacemonaut 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

Megiddo
MEG

chetoos wrote:
4 months ago
Oko is a faerie because his son is a faerie

Oko, fast hand 2GU
Legendary Planeswalker - Oko
Quickdraw (Players can't cast spells or activate abilities without quickdraw while a quickdraw spell or ability is resolving)
+1 - Up to one target creature or artifact becomes a 3/3 creature without abilities until your next turn
-3 - Create a food token, plus an additional food token for each other permanent you control with quickdraw.
-7 - Choose target creature. You may have that creature's controller gain control of X artifacts you control, or a creature or artifact you control with mana value X, where X is half that creature's mana value, rounded down. If you do, you gain control of that creature.

IIW: Fullmetal Alchemist (Fullmetal Alchemist)
I was going to make a Kellan card, lol.
MEG

chetoos

Cosmo, Rice President 2GW
Legendary Creature - Faerie Wizard
Partners with Wanda, nagging wife
Flying
Wish it away - , : Exile target nonland permanent you control.
Cosmo's wild magic - The first instant or sorcery spell you cast each turn has cascade
3/3

IIW: Saturday Morning Cartoons

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”