UnderKing
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Serenade » 6 months ago

NZB2323 wrote:
6 months ago
Serenade wrote:
6 months ago
This card is the case for Vindicate. =P

Every time I throw it in a deck, it ends up being fun. That's all I want out of this game anymore.
I know you're semi joking, but this card is the argument for instant speed removal.
I meant that since Vindicate hits any permanent type, it always could snipe Mirage Mirror (while something like Stroke of Midnight would fizzle if MM copies a land).
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 6 months ago

NZB2323 wrote:
6 months ago
Serenade wrote:
6 months ago
This card is the case for Vindicate. =P

Every time I throw it in a deck, it ends up being fun. That's all I want out of this game anymore.
I know you're semi joking, but this card is the argument for instant speed removal.
With enough mana up, you can respond to removal by activating Mirror again (assuming they aren't trying to remove it after it has changed) into a card type the removal can't hit, such as a land. I've done this several times. The best part (for the Mirror player) is in this case, since the initial copy target is already on the stack, it would turn into a land in response to the removal, the removal fizzles, then the last ability resolves and it turns into whatever you'd wanted it to be in the first place. Vindicate doesn't care what the permanent type is, so there's no getting out from under it this way. That said, instant speed removal will likely be relevant more often, and can succeeded in removing the Mirror in any instance in which the controller doesn't have the extra mana to spend.
DirkGently wrote:
6 months ago
Ironically, one of the least popular backgrounds.

For a rare it's awkwardly low impact imo. Friggin Baeloth Barrityl, Entertainer over there goading the whole board, why would anyone play this?
If you need something goaded, Baeloth is not good at it. Yeah, goading the board is better than goading one creature per opponent, and being able to do so without an attack (not to mention the other conditions Entertainer requires) is great. Still, my experience with Baeloth has resulted in my cutting him from my sort of Aikido Marchesa deck.

He's a creature with a static ability that affects the board, and mass goad tends to make you archenemy, which means that all of your opponents are likely to point removal his way, and at the most inopportune (for you) time. Since it's not a trigger, Baeloth can be removed before attackers are declared and free up attacks immediately. Requiring greater power than the creatures you want to goad also both requires a fair amount of support within the deck, and opens up additional avenues of getting out from under his goading. I've had opponents remove a piece of equipment on him, to drop his power, or hit him, or the board, with a -X/-- effect.

I think Popular Entertainer is a bad card. Most of the backgrounds are pretty bad, even when they're in the command zone, as 1 of the 99, they're largely unplayable--they all provide multiple ways to disable their effects. Enchantments are fairly sticky, but removing a commander often isn't difficult, and becomes even more incentivized when it also disables a background. I had been running a few backgrounds in Prosper, but cut all of them except Street Urchin, which is a fantastic card there, and is valuable even either it or Prosper get removed immediately, so long as it resolved with Prosper in play, and was able to be activated a time or two. If it sticks around for a couple turns it can take over the game. Entertainer doesn't come anywhere close to that. It's also pretty far down the list of goad cards that I would play.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 6 months ago

Thanks to being on the early end of the design tinkering with multiple non-creatures in the command zone, most backgrounds are trash even in limited. This is one of the worst thanks to a single goad being very low impact, not to mention the attacking requirement.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 6 months ago

Thursday, December 7th, 2023; Hua Tuo, Honored Physician

Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 6 months ago

A classic. It's really slow and has really restrictive timing, but I will never not think of the good doctor here in fond terms. There was a Hua Tuo deck somewhere on Sally way back when and I thought that list was the coolest pile of green GY synergies I had seen at that point.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 6 months ago

i'm mostly amazed at it's low price tag given what set it's from
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

3drinks

Hermes_ wrote:
6 months ago
It has a reprint. Coupled with it's low demand (because it really isn't that great) it's price cratered like the other P3K cards reprinted into no demand.

...this is also why I'm trying to move my Chinese Zodiac Dragon lol. Because eventually they will reprint this.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 6 months ago

3drinks wrote:
6 months ago
Hermes_ wrote:
6 months ago
It has a reprint. Coupled with it's low demand (because it really isn't that great) it's price cratered like the other P3K cards reprinted into no demand.

...this is also why I'm trying to move my Chinese Zodiac Dragon lol. Because eventually they will reprint this.
I'll give you $3.50
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Zask, Phelddagriff
Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 6 months ago

Dunadain wrote:
6 months ago
3drinks wrote:
6 months ago
Hermes_ wrote:
6 months ago

I'll give you $3.50

3drinks wrote:
6 months ago
Thursday, December 7th, 2023; Hua Tuo, Honored Physician

Even though I always forget about this card (and it being kind of weak), the effect is unique and cool. If I had a copy, I could see myself making a casual EDH deck around it.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Ah yes portal 3K the original Universes Beyond set. Hua Tuo is no Sun Quan. Thanks to G being insane now it's outclassed by a lot of cards, but I can see it doing some good work under the right circumstances.

3drinks

Friday, December 8th, 2023; Ringsight

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

3drinks

Dunadain wrote:
6 months ago
3drinks wrote:
6 months ago
Hermes_ wrote:
6 months ago

I'll give you $3.50
Okay...if you move that decimal point two places to the right.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

yeti1069

3drinks wrote:
6 months ago
Friday, December 8th, 2023; Ringsight

It's disappointing that this card doesn't work well with Sauron, the Dark Lord, which is the only place I'd currently run it.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

That legendary clause is pesky but this is probably kinda broken without it. I should consider this for Grimgrin.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 6 months ago

Keep in mind that the ring tempting you makes a creature you control legendary, so in the right decks this is Grim Tutor. Of course, there are like four right decks, but still.

yeti1069

Lifeless wrote:
6 months ago
That legendary clause is pesky but this is probably kinda broken without it. I should consider this for Grimgrin.
Other than the ring tempt, which is of varying utility, this is worse than Demonic Tutor in every way--costs more, heavier color requirement, restricted searching, and consequently having to reveal the tutored card. I don't know that the ring tempt is worth all of that.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

yeti1069 wrote:
6 months ago
Lifeless wrote:
6 months ago
Other than the ring tempt, which is of varying utility, this is worse than Demonic Tutor in every way--costs more, heavier color requirement, restricted searching, and consequently having to reveal the tutored card. I don't know that the ring tempt is worth all of that.
I agree that it's not as good as the 2nd best tutor in the game but I don't understand the relevance.

yeti1069

Lifeless wrote:
6 months ago
yeti1069 wrote:
6 months ago
Lifeless wrote:
6 months ago
I agree that it's not as good as the 2nd best tutor in the game but I don't understand the relevance.
Demonic Tutor is strong, but not broken, so this isn't broken. It's a (mostly) worse Grim Tutor.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Fair, and since this card was not printed in a standard legal set (I think - I actually have no idea what formats these cards are legal in) it would probably be fine without the legendary clause.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 6 months ago

I'm really hot on Ringsight. I think it's probably playable, but if you're at one creature, there's a real risk of removal-in-response. I think it's a pretty cool card, the way the Tempt works.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 6 months ago

yeti1069 wrote:
6 months ago
Demonic Tutor is strong, but not broken
Permanently blinded from this solar take.

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 6 months ago

Lifeless wrote:
6 months ago
Ah yes portal 3K the original Universes Beyond set.
I thought that was Arabian Nights (and to some extent - The Dark was the second).
V/R

Treamayne

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 6 months ago

yeti1069 wrote:
6 months ago
Demonic Tutor is strong, but not broken
You're going to need to explain that one chief.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Zask, Phelddagriff
Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

3drinks

Saturday, December 9th, 2023; Song of the Worldsoul

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 6 months ago

I did not realize what Anikthea, Hand of Erebos did to the price of this thing.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”