Sheldon Menery has passed away.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 8 months ago

Sheldon Menery, the Godfather of EDH, has passed away after a seven-year battle with cancer. He created this formerly niche format with three friends in Alaska decades ago. One could say that Commander is Magic at this moment. Through Commander, few, if any people have made such a huge impact on Magic; his creation has shaped the direction of the game. Over the years, regardless of whether or not you agreed with the RC about something, I think it was impossible to doubt Sheldon's love of Magic and Commander.

Rest in peace @Sheldon. Thank you for everything.
Last edited by RxPhantom 8 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Sporegorger_Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 8 months ago

Just saw on Twitter/X.
Condolences to his family. I hope he passed away peacefully.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 8 months ago

Wishing all the best for those who love and miss him and thanking him for all that he did for our beloved game.

His vision and passion will live trough many players that both know him and people who never heard or will hear his name, great legacy

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 8 months ago

Very sorry to hear this. @Sheldon, thanks for everything. RIP
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Moxnix

Post by Moxnix » 8 months ago

Sadge he used to talk in the official thread back in the day on salvation

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 8 months ago

A great loss for all of us.
My condolences and respects.

I may not have always seen eye to eye with Sheldon, but I could tell he loved this game, the commander format, and most of all the people who play magic, aka, the gathering. And, fittingly enough, of that gathering, he was a legend.

Rest in peace sir.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 8 months ago

Very sad. He was young. A great loss to his family, and certainly to magic.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 8 months ago

Said it in the other thread, but this is sad for sure.

I was reflecting on Reddit that after Garfield and MaRo, I don't know if anyone has had as big an impact on this game as Sheldon Menery did. I had forgotten until WotC's article on it that Sheldon was a Level 5 judge and key figure in the wild "live on ESPN2" days of competitive magic when the Comp Rules were still a lot to handle.

Respect and wishes of peace to him and his family.

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 8 months ago

I made a lot of great friends thanks to this format. May he rest in peace.

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 8 months ago

Hope he didn't feel too much pain in the end. And that his family and friends are okay.
We probably wouldn't be here together without him and some other folks. Seldom a single person, who I never met, had so much influence on one of my hobbies and friendships.

Rest well and long.

Vessiliana
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Vessiliana » 8 months ago

May he rest in peace!

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

I've been thinking a lot about Sheldon over the last 24 hours, especially when it comes to the discourse I've had about him or the RC's decisions over the years. I was mostly polite and constructive, but there were a few times I was not. I'm 41, but I was in my mid-30's before I reined in my more aggressive or insensitive tendencies of online discourse. I know he read at least one of them. I wish I hadn't been so rude to someone who was not only a nice, thoughtful person, but who also created and nurtured one of my favorite things ever to exist.
Last edited by RxPhantom 8 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 8 months ago

RxPhantom wrote:
8 months ago
I've been thinking a lot about Sheldon over the last 24 hours, especially when it comes to the discourse I've had about him or the RC's decisions over the years. I was mostly polite and constructive, but there were a few times I was not. I'm 41, but I was in my mid-30's before I reigned in my more aggressive or insensitive tendencies of online discourse. I know he read at least one of them. I wish I hadn't been so rude to someone who was not only a nice, thoughtful person, but who also created and nurtured one of my favorite things ever to exist.

I did not know Sheldon and can't talk for how he took it in good faith. But I interacted with him on some occasions and once was pretty harsh on my criticism of the lack of latin american people in the CAG and RC. I think @Hermes_ was in the discord that day. He assured me they were thankful for people speaking out and that he would take that into consideration. Before that other members of the chat, and even people in "power" positions were pretty quick to dismiss what I said, I think it was Tim Willoughby(?) who dismissed pretty quick. Sheldon did not have to answer, and if answer the discord was pretty much saying they were in the right, I was pretty astonished to see him admit their shortcomings, and say they would be better. I share this because I think this anecdote might shed a light on how open and understanding he was towards us when we got passionate over cardboard.

I ended up feeling so bad because I was pretty harsh on something that I could be as firm as I was but in a much more polite way, cant change much now, only do better from now on

5colorsrainbow

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 8 months ago

I never interacted with Sheldon but he seemed like a good person and I can't say he hasn't effected my life since commander is my favorite format. I agree with Hawk in saying I think after Garfield and MaRo, Sheldon likely has had the biggest impact on the game by making what is now the most popular magic the gathering format. I hope his passing was as painless and peaceful as possible and condolences to his love ones, its never easy to lose someone
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

EonAon

Post by EonAon » 8 months ago

The Man, The Mythic, The Legendary. I really do hope he RIP cause him and his friends really changed magic.

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 8 months ago

It super sucks. As much as I disagreed with him on things here or there, he was an excellent human being.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

The first comment on EDHrec's tribute to Sheldon reads:
You could equip Blackblade Reforged onto Sheldon Menery and it would only cost 3 mana.
I quite enjoyed that.

onering

Post by onering » 8 months ago

This %$#% sucks. RIP to a real one.

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 8 months ago

From Scott:
https://twitter.com/ScottLarabee/status ... mDb5Q&s=19

(Reposting this to correct the location)

Sheldon's family is trying to collect tributes for Sheldon in a single location.
If you could please post your tributes at https://t.co/zrsCx9YTKR it would be appreciated.

Please re-post for visibility
V/R

Treamayne

Maluko

Post by Maluko » 8 months ago

Rest in Peace, Sheldon. The Commander community owes you a lot. You will be missed 🫡

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 8 months ago

You don't realize how much you have, until it's taken away forever. I got to interact with him many times, most recently in the PreDH section of the official Discord server. He didn't need to interact with me, I'm just that one diehard player trying to keep stax alive over fast combo and rampant power creep, but he did. Now that's all gone. Hardly seems worth it.

Father Time is undefeated, and that won't change...but could he at least take the legitimately awful people like dictators and hate mongers, rather than good genuine people from this planet? At least try to make this world better. Alas, I suppose Sheldon didn't have the WR up to D-Palm it back to Father Time...

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 8 months ago

I remember his somewhat recent struggles with cancer a few years ago. Last I knew he was doing somewhat better and it was looking like it might be in remission so I didn't expect to see this over the weekend. My condolences to his family first and foremost. The magic community as a whole is lesser without him but its nothing in comparison to those whom he personally called friend and family.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 8 months ago

Awwww no, the best L5 of all time but also loving family man. I can't even begin to imagine what they must be going through. 🥺

gsgfdf

Post by gsgfdf » 8 months ago

Rest in peace. I have followed him since the very first precons, I modeled my Karador deck after his signature deck.
Really sad news.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”