[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - North Star

PrimevalCommander
Pronoun: he / him

Post by PrimevalCommander » 10 months ago

Solid tutor for / artifact decks, of which there are many. I'm not playing any artifact heavy decks at the moment, but this wouldn't even be terrible in a deck that is not hyper artifact focused, but had a good selection of utility artifacts to choose from.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 10 months ago

It takes a lot to get me to play Fabricate. I don't think I have it in any decks right now and haven't really played it in years.

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 10 months ago

Fabricate is solid. Three mana generally feels like a sweet for tutors, where they aren't an obvious autoinclude, but they also aren't so costly that you won't be able to cast what you fetch. Fabricate in particular is interesting because it competes with Trinket Mage, Trophy Mage, and the rest of that group. If you're playing a ton of artifacts, Fabricate is often preferable... but if you happen to be playing a bunch at a specific slot on your curve (or just usually want to fetch something particular), you can upgrade to a card that also gives you a 2/2.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 10 months ago

I think you either need to be all in on artifacts or really need a specific thing very badly. Last time I played Fabricate, it was alongside Treasure Mage, Trinket Mage, Whir of Invention, and Reshape, all to support one really crappy Salvaging Station engine.

Edit: artificer's Intuition was in there too.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 10 months ago

It's funny that I am so high on Trinket Mage and so low on Fabricate. I think being blinkable/recurrable makes a huge difference for the Mage (and all his magi friends).

Anyhow, like folks are saying, three is a sweet spot for tutors, and if I had a deck (like the Lulu/Feywild Visitor deck I keep dreaming up) that was ultra-reliant on some specific artifacts I'd likely include this. Currently, no deck has a home for it but it's a solid little roleplayer.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 10 months ago

Fabricate is fine. If you prefer a body or no CMC restriction comes down to your deck (building).
Overall i am always happy to see type limited tutors. It's Commander with its integral Singleton form - outside of cutthroat metas i am just bored to see Vampiric Tutor, Demonic Tutor and the likes.
So Fabricate is ticking some boxes for me. Bonus points for being able to fetch more and more artifact lands recently.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 10 months ago

Saturday, August 5th, 2023; Haunted Library

Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

3drinks

Oh. I really should read things 2x before I commit to bringing them here -_-

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 10 months ago

I saw someone play Haunted Library recently in an Inniaz, the Gale Force deck, and it seemed reasonable. A bit clunky in the early game, but in the lategame it turns any board wipe into a bunch of replacement bodies, depending on how much mana you have available. It works particularly well with Grave Pact effects, but I think creatures naturally die often enough for it to trigger consistently.

It's somewhat interesting to compare Haunted Library to Spirit Bonds, which I've found to be pretty clunky. Adding an additional pseudo-kicker cost to your own creatures can incentivize you to play off-curve, and it's very expensive to get multiple triggers per turn (since you also need to be casting multiple creature spells, assuming no flickering). On the flip side, Haunted Library triggers off your opponents' creatures, which means you can get triggers without doing anything... and your opponents will, theoretically, have three times as many creatures as you anyway (or even more, since it triggers off tokens). That means it is capable of generating significantly more bodies while reserving less of your mana... although the lack of agency / ability to do it on your turn may make it a bit awkward at times (no immediately feeding the token to Skullclamp on your turn, for example).

ironic gesture

Post by ironic gesture » 10 months ago

Mookie wrote:
10 months ago
I saw someone play Haunted Library recently in an Inniaz, the Gale Force deck, and it seemed reasonable. A bit clunky in the early game, but in the lategame it turns any board wipe into a bunch of replacement bodies, depending on how much mana you have available. It works particularly well with Grave Pact effects, but I think creatures naturally die often enough for it to trigger consistently.
It's funny you say that because I didn't recognize this card and my first thought was my Inniaz, the Gale Force deck. Sprit bonds didn't make the cut for the reasons you stated. Haunted Library could work in a deck that wants to leave mana up often which my Inniaz deck does and also rotates spirits around the table that my opponents usually chump with. Maybe I'll give it a whirl.

On a side note, one of my friends called my Inniaz deck "one direction" and now that's its official name.

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 10 months ago

There's something kinda funny about destroying something like an Avatar or an Eldrazi and making it one of your library ghosts.

3drinks

Man, if this thing had the "if ~ dies, exile it" text attached to the spirit ability, it would be so GOATed. Like a Night Soil that's triggered rather than activated.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

3drinks

Sunday, August 6th, 2023; Unfulfilled Desires

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 10 months ago

I play this card so much in a tiny ancient cards casual format >:3 Mirage kinda OP compared to Ice Age n 4th and Chronicles and what have you. this kind of repetitive cycling is really good especially if you are fishing for a Drain Life-type card. in EDH this kinda seems like it'd be for desperation graveyard filling while fishing for either an instant win or a strong enough answer that you think you'll see next turn? but blue black is the best possible tutoring colour combo, correct me if I'm wrong

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 10 months ago

folding_music wrote:
10 months ago
I play this card so much in a tiny ancient cards casual format >:3 Mirage kinda OP compared to Ice Age n 4th and Chronicles and what have you. this kind of repetitive cycling is really good especially if you are fishing for a Drain Life-type card. in EDH this kinda seems like it'd be for desperation graveyard filling while fishing for either an instant win or a strong enough answer that you think you'll see next turn? but blue black is the best possible tutoring colour combo, correct me if I'm wrong
This card is an absolute house in Oskar, Rubbish Reclaimer. Opponents tend to leave it alone, but it generates so much value.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 10 months ago

this card isn't very fulfilling so kudos on the name?
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 10 months ago

For aeons, I couldn't find my copy, and then I found it in a heap of the Game of Thrones CCG cards. I'm monumentally disorganized.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Seems pretty awesome with dredge

3drinks

Monday, August 7th, 2023; Jace, the Mind Sculptor|2xm

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Vertierer
Kabbalisten-Schatzmeister

Post by Vertierer » 10 months ago

The mills of god grind slowly

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 10 months ago

JTMS is still a totally fine card! Brainstorm+gain 3 life for 4 mana is not literally the worst card, and it has a lot more upside as well. I usually forget to play it :P

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

pokken wrote:
10 months ago
JTMS is still a totally fine card! Brainstorm+gain 3 life for 4 mana is not literally the worst card, and it has a lot more upside as well. I usually forget to play it :P
Nonono, you're doing it all wrong. Unsummon + 2 life is how you play it.

In all seriousness though, JtMS is probably the starkest example of an oppressive card in constructed failing to make the jump to success in EDH. It's still probably the best PW in a vacuum, but it's too hard to defend.

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 10 months ago

Good walker, solid abilities, poster child for doing too much good stuff on one card. Never spent the $$ to get one for EDH and never thought it ever created enough value to be worth the monetary price.
Now at only $20, it's value prop has improved, but so has the power level of walkers and the game in general. So I still don't find myself wanting to run out an grab one. As mentioned, abilities are great, loyalty is low, which makes it very fragile to keep around. And I love taking pot shots at walkers when given the opportunity.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 10 months ago

I have one in Maelstrom Wanderer
Brainstorm and bounce are both really good with MW. I feel like I actually win most games where Jace comes down.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”