Ugin's Nexus Death Question

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 10 months ago

In short does Gandalf the White allow a dying Ugin's Nexus to turn into two turns or is it some weird Academy Rector (I am aware rector doesn't work with gandolf but it requires itself to be exiled to trigger which stops any sort of duplication of its effect) kind of weird stuff with this? Its different wording than the rector but I am still a bit confused on if it works or not.

Accepted Answer

by void_nothing » 10 months ago
No, but not because it's got an "If you do" clause. There's just no interaction at all here: Gandalf the White causes triggered abilities to trigger again. Ugin's Nexus has a replacement effect, which is a static ability, not a triggered ability. It has "If... instead..." instead of "When".
Go to full post
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 10 months ago

No, but not because it's got an "If you do" clause. There's just no interaction at all here: Gandalf the White causes triggered abilities to trigger again. Ugin's Nexus has a replacement effect, which is a static ability, not a triggered ability. It has "If... instead..." instead of "When".
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 10 months ago

@void_nothing just to clarify, Gandalf the White still works on death triggers right? This is just a narrow case of Nexus not being a death trigger event and a replacement for death trigger if I understand correctly. I am just verifying that Gandalf isn't narrowing in on "leaves the battlefield" like Reveillark and works in general on death triggers too.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 10 months ago

Yes, dying is one event in the broader category of "leaving the battlefield". So generally speaking abilities in the form "When this permanent is put into a graveyard from the battlefield" or "When this creature dies" will trigger an additional time with GtW out, as long as the permanent entering or leaving is legendary or an artifact.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”