NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

VariousBoots
Pronoun: he / him

Post by VariousBoots » 11 months ago

Fair Farmer
Creature - Human Peasant (C)
When Fair Farmer enters the battlefield, create a 1/1 green Plant Dog creature token named Corndog with "When Corndog dies, create a number of Food tokens equal to its power".
,: Grow 1 (Put a +1/+1 counter on target Plant, Saproling, Fungus, Treefolk, or Dryad creature you control.)
1/1

IIW: A creature from a landfill set

Megiddo
MEG
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Megiddo » 11 months ago

Doggy Time
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
11 months ago
Guards of Maurer Estate 3B
Creature- Spirit Dog (Commander Rare)
Menace
When a creature enters the battlefield under an opponent's control, that creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn unless its controller discards a card.
Poor Ugo passed too close one night. The Twins found him the next morning standing in place, dead of fright. What games they played.
3/3

Jovial Taegan 1W
Creature- Dog (U)
Flying, lifelink, vigilance
Among the Nacatl, seeing the elusive winged dogs at play means three years of good luck.
1/1

IIW: Spooky ghosts (not necessarily as creatures)
There's an in-joke here to be made with the 4C 3/5 statline that is maybe for the best that you passed up on for the Maurer doggies. I suppose the main utility here is to shut off token generation, right? any 1/1 token is DOA unless they discard. You noted Commander Rare there, which I am interpreting to mean that this would appear in a Commander deck or one of those draftable Commander sets. If it isn't obvious, that isn't a format I play, but I can intuit from the prices of foil Blood Seeker and Suture Priest (aside: lol) that this would be a desirable effect. Different kinds of applications. Those cards kill the opponent if they try to do something degenerate, which I assume would mean they don't do that, but the opponent can easily play through it fairly until they can deal with your little guy. Here, you actually can slow or prevent development of the opponent's board in a fair game. Mana dorks, for example, are atrocious against this. Seeing that this costs 4 mana... feels appropriate.
I spent too much time trying to figure out what "taegan" meant; maybe this is a word you have purposed here in a novel way, maybe I'm bad at Googling now. Anyway, I don't see why we couldn't have this guy. Lot of keywords, good with equipment, but we'll creep our way up to it eventually.
spacemonaut wrote:
11 months ago
Treat! 2
Artifact (U)
When Treat! enters the battlefield, draw a card.
, , Sacrifice Treat!: Untap target Dog you control. Prevent all damage that would be dealt to it this turn.
, , Sacrifice Treat!: Look at the top five cards of your library. You may reveal a Dog card from among them and put it into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.

IIW: cats
I'm actually more of a Cat Guy than a Dog Guy. Not sure why I chose this IIW. But we're here so here we are. We somehow now have 12 cards with the ! in their name (22 if you include "funny" cards). A full NINE of those are from Universes Beyond cards, and one is a black-bordered Un card (Boing!). So that leaves... two cards. Kaboom! and To Arms!. I remember when Kaboom! came out. It was a big deal! It had previously only appeared in Unglued some four years prior, so it was fun to have it show up in a "real" set.

Aside the first: I had to check: Do we have any cards with a ? in the name? Answer: How Is This a Par Three?! and Question Elemental?. Nothing black border. Maybe this can be a future challenge here.

Aside the second: I obviously have nothing against the !. It's fun. Having it largely be relegated to the "funny" cards seems appropriate, though. Universes Beyond cards appear to, like the "funny" cards, break the propriety of the game in certain ways, and I suppose that's appropriate too. Who am I to say that one must refrain from shouting Blood for the Blood God! any time that gets cast, or similarly to keep one's hands firmly on the table rather than pantomime Ian Mckellan while smiting a creature with You Cannot Pass!?

Aside the third: I understand that Maro wishes us to refer to the Un sets as "real" as well. There's also a subset of people who would exclude UB sets from the "real" sets. I'm not there yet, and there's a separation in my mind still. Though the long tail of the game would enforce that, I suspect the future begins with U.

Ok, so I should probably read the text of your card at some point here. I actually thought this would be a spell card (as one might perform the action of giving a treat to a doggy while shouting "treat!"), but I suppose we can work with it being an artifact. This particular arrangement of abilities reminds me of the Eggs combo decks of yore, where the eggs in questions were all cheap artifacts that cycled and could then sacrifice themselves for further small effects, with recurrence supplied by Second Sunrise and such (eggs... sunny side up. Old deck names were certainly something.). Perhaps someday we'll get a Trusty Retriever variant that can actually abuse this and create... Deggs.
Ulka wrote:
11 months ago
Hound of Hope 1W
Creature - Dog
Flash
When Hound of Hope enters the battlefield, choose up to one target creature card in your graveyard that was put there from the battlefield this turn. Return it to the battlefield tapped.
Beneath the rubble, survivors only had hope to be found.
1/2

IIW: Money
Speaking of Deggs, we're almost there! More cards like this. More seriously, I like this. I'll cite Samwise the Stouthearted and say that I also like your flavor a lot. I'll also mention that one can adjust the knobs on this to adjust the texture of how it plays out in gameplay. That's it! Sorry, no long diatribes here.
Cythare wrote:
11 months ago
Infernal Retriever 3RR
Creature — Devil Dog (R)
Menace
When Infernal Retriever enters the battlefield, gain control of target artifact or creature with mana value less than Infernal Retriever's power until Infernal Retriever leaves the battlefield. Untap it. If it's a creature, it gains haste until end of turn.
4/3

IIW: A majestic elk
Isn't this a blue card? Opportunistic Dragon did the "steal your thing" flavor but kept it a bit closer to red by not letting you use the thing you stole.
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
11 months ago
Slush Puppy
{U}{R}
Creature - Weird Dog (U)
Whenever you cast a sorcery spell, put a +1/+1 counter on Slush Puppy. It gains trample until end of turn.
Whenever you cast an instant spell, Slush Puppy gets +2/+2 until end of turn. Untap it.
1/1

IIW: Fish that don't live in water
I've had my share of slush puppies over the years. Good stuff. This one is fun. Sort of like Sprite Dragon in that it's a cheap, growing threat for the spell deck but with some additional utility. I like how it has a different trigger for sorceries and for instants. I like that it can gain evasion and how it serves double duty as a blocker if you can. It will make your opponent cry if they can't kill it because it is difficult to attack into.
NinjaCaterpie wrote:
11 months ago
Inert Fascination 1R
Enchantment (U)
When Inert Fascination enters the battlefield, choose a creature type.
At the beginning of combat on your turn, for each creature you control of the chosen type, choose up to one target creature an opponent controls. Those creatures can't block.
"Dog!"

IIW: Stars
When I was scanning through this earlier I got the wrong impression of what this card was depicting. I see now my error. This is fun though. I think this is undercosted though?
VariousBoots wrote:
11 months ago
Fair Farmer
Creature - Human Peasant (C)
When Fair Farmer enters the battlefield, create a 1/1 green Plant Dog creature token named Corndog with "When Corndog dies, create a number of Food tokens equal to its power".
,: Grow 1 (Put a +1/+1 counter on target Plant, Saproling, Fungus, Treefolk, or Dryad creature you control.)
1/1

IIW: A creature from a landfill set
More dog puns, lol. I'm hoping that the corndogs are a common token type in this card's set. I'd also consider limiting Grow to three creature types if possible, since five is a lot and if it's a common mechanic you want it to be easier to remember what it works on.

Good Dog: Sporegorger_Dragon
Next: Fish that don't live in water
MEG

Chromaticus

Post by Chromaticus » 11 months ago

Sky Koi
Flying
When Sky Koi enters the battlefield, create a 0/1 copy of Sky Koi, except it loses this ability.
: Populate
1/3

IIW An actually good mill commander
Last edited by Chromaticus 11 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 11 months ago

Pyropiscis 2R
Creature - Fish Elemental
Haste
Protection from Red
Searing (Damage dealt by Pyropiscis is not removed on the next cleanup step.)
2/2

IIW: Searing as a new mechanic
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

VariousBoots

Dune Piranhas 2rg
Creature — Fish (U)
Desert lands you control have "Whenever one or more creatures attack you, deal 1 damage to target creature."
"The flesh is gone in minutes but they leave behind clean skeletons to work with."
- Hathros, Ifnir Necromancer

3/3

IIW: Shakespeare

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 11 months ago

Distorted Darter 4
Creature — Eldrazi Fish (U)
Emerge 6UB (You may cast this spell by sacrificing a creature and paying the emerge cost reduced by that creature's mana value.)
When you cast Distorted Darter, if it emerged, draw cards equal to half the sacrificed creature's mana value, rounded up.
3/3

Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Mergatroid_Jones

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 11 months ago

Cosmic Sturgeon 4
Creature- Fish (R)
Flying
You may cast Cosmic Sturgeon from any zone in which it is revealed.
1/2

IIW: Weird lands

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 11 months ago

Let's see the catch of the day!
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Chromaticus wrote:
11 months ago
Sky Koi
Flying
When Sky Koi enters the battlefield, create a 0/1 copy of Sky Koi, except it loses this ability.
: Populate
1/3

IIW An actually good mill commander
Hmm, missing typeline, but that's okay, I'll assume it's just Fish.

We already have a surprising number of flying fish, and we even even have flying koi in Kamigawa, so this certainly has precedent.

I'm assuming this is uncommon, I was just pondering the other day about blue producing multiple bodies now has new significance in the convoke-matters archetype in {U}{R}.

The activated ability is also a good mana sink/win condition but needs at least one other token to be worthwhile.
Ulka wrote:
11 months ago
Pyropiscis 2R
Creature - Fish Elemental
Haste
Protection from Red
Searing (Damage dealt by Pyropiscis is not removed on the next cleanup step.)
2/2

IIW: Searing as a new mechanic
I suspect this is based on one of the Dark/Fire legendaries from Sword and Shield. (Pokemon reference people).

This sort of thing is personally going to be hard for me to track, but seems fine power-wise.
VariousBoots wrote:
11 months ago
Dune Piranhas 2rg
Creature — Fish (U)
Desert lands you control have "Whenever one or more creatures attack you, deal 1 damage to target creature."
"The flesh is gone in minutes but they leave behind clean skeletons to work with."
- Hathros, Ifnir Necromancer

3/3

IIW: Shakespeare
Something I've dabbled a bit, transposing aquatic life into the desert!

This seems powerful, might need playtesting. That is certainly one way to make Deserts matter though. Hazezon'll be pleased!
Cythare wrote:
11 months ago
Distorted Darter 4
Creature — Eldrazi Fish (U)
Emerge 6UB (You may cast this spell by sacrificing a creature and paying the emerge cost reduced by that creature's mana value.)
When you cast Distorted Darter, if it emerged, draw cards equal to half the sacrificed creature's mana value, rounded up.
3/3

Interesting critter, makes you pay more attention to mana values, especially odd-numbers.

Surprising we got two Eldrazi Crabs and only one Eldrazi Fish. Grisly Anglet is marine, so I appreciate the attention to freshwater fish.

A darter is a tiny fish, so this indeed would be terrifyingly huge!
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
11 months ago
Cosmic Sturgeon 4
Creature- Fish (R)
Flying
You may cast Cosmic Sturgeon from any zone in which it is revealed.
1/2

IIW: Weird lands
Oh hey, another weird fish name-drop!

Hmm, as I understand it, this can be cast from your graveyard or from exile if it's face up, plus the top of your library and/or hand if an effect reveals it.

But what happens when an effect reveals it only temporarily, like a Duress effect?

I know it's just an overcosted Storm Crow, but this does feel like something that might inadvertently break something.
Results:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
HM: Chromaticus

Winner: Mergatroid_Jones for the sturgeon.

NEXT:
Weird lands
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 11 months ago

Wavering Dreamscape
Land (U)
: Note a color of mana spent to activate this ability.
: Add one mana of the last color noted for Wavering Dreamscape.
, , Sacrifice Wavering Dreamscape: Scry 5.

IIW: revisit a tribe in a set you like.

Chromaticus

Post by Chromaticus » 11 months ago

Hall of Radiance
Tap 3 untapped basic plains you control: add

Note: no inherent ability to generate its own mana.

IIW: Colorshift a planeswalker

Megiddo
MEG

Magnaland
Land {R}
When Magnaland enters the battlefield, you may put a land card from your hand onto the battlefield tapped.

IIW: explode
MEG

Ulka

The Asphodel Meadows
Legendary Land - Plains
T: Add W.
T: Add WB to your mana pool. Activate this ability only from your graveyard.
If there are two or more cards named The Asphodel Meadows in your graveyard exile them.

IIW: Graveyard based Mechanics

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 11 months ago

Vervi, The Palace of Gems
Legendary Planeswalker Land - Vervi (R)
[+1]: Skip your next untap phase.
[-1]: Add one mana of any color.
[-2]: You lose 2 life. Add two mana of two different colors. Spend this mana only to cast a multicolored creature or planeswalker spell, and that spell can't be countered. If it's a creature, it enters the battlefield with an additional +1/+1 counter on it. If it's a planeswalker, it enters the battlefield with an additional loyalty counter on it.
<3>
Across the multiverse, the same myth recurs of a transient palace that offers power to those willing to pay the price.

Suspicious Island
Land - Island (R)
(T: Add {U})
Suspicious Island enters the battlefield tapped.
6{U}{U}: Transform Suspicious Island. Activate this ability only once per turn.
===================
Awakened Aspidochelone
Creature - Turtle ()
Trample
At the beginning of your upkeep, transform Awakened Aspidochelone unless you pay {U}{U}{U}.
6/8

IIW: Egg
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Collaboration Hub
Land (R)
T: Add one mana of any color. If this is the second time this ability has resolved this turn, each player adds one mana of the chosen color instead.
Q: Add one mana of any color. Only other players may activate this ability and only once per player per turn.

IIW: Hydras
Level 2 Judge circa 2016

Juancu

Post by Juancu » 11 months ago

Izzet Capablitor
Izzet Capablitor enters the battlefield tapped.
T: Add U or R.
UR: Until end of turn, Izzet Capablitor becomes a 1/1 red and blue Weird creature with "This creature has +1/+1 for each mana you have spent to cast an instant or sorcery spell this turn".

IIW: risky business

VariousBoots

@Juancu I was thinking through a way to make a Weird land, but you did it so much better than my ideas. I like that one a lot.

Depleting Reservoir
Land (R)
: Choose a color that has not been chosen. Add one mana of the chosen color.
Before the creation of the mage rings, Vryn's mages unsustainably drained mana from the land.

IIW: A creature type from myth/legend/folklore that you wish was an official MTG creature type.
Last edited by VariousBoots 11 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

Megiddo
MEG

Fractured Nexus
Land {R}
Companion — Your deck contains no land cards.
T: Add
--- Companion Abilities ---
Discard three cards: Put Fractured Nexus into your hand from outside of the game.
T: Add one mana of any color.

Note: "Companion Abilities" are abilities that the card only has if it started the game as your companion. We'd designate this with a split frame (like Mutate or Adventure) I think this would require either an amendment to 400.7 or a similar rule to 903.3 that would make companion an aspect of the physical card.

Note 2: Yes, you could pay 3 to put this into your hand too.

Note 3: I know this is broken so you can just skip to the next entry.

IIW: something (or somebody) you'd find at a cafe somewhere in the multiverse
MEG

Mergatroid_Jones

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 11 months ago

Judging after work. Crashed too early last night to do it.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 11 months ago

Office Spire
(A high-rise lit-up tower on Capenna.)
Land — Lair
: Add .
, , Tap X untapped creatures you control: Add X mana of any one color among those creatures.

IIW: revisit a tribe in a set you like.

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Kessig Preserve
Land (R)
Daybound (If a player casts no spells during their own turn, it becomes night next turn.)
T: Add R or G.
//
Kessig Pack Haven
Land (R)
Nightbound (If a player casts at least two spells during their own turn, it becomes day next turn.)
T: Add RG.

IIW: DFCs (you choose what kind!)
Level 2 Judge circa 2016

Ulka

Lair of the Behemoths
Land - Lair (U)
T: Add C.
T: Add one mana of any color in a nonhuman multicolored creature you control's color identity.

IIW: I better not with this

Megiddo
MEG

Court of X and Y
Land {R}
T: Each player votes for X or Y. If X gets more votes, add two mana in any combination of colors. If Y gets more votes or the vote is tied, add one mana of any color and each other player creates a Treasure token.
MEG

VariousBoots

Mirror Maze
Land (M)
You can't play lands.
: Add one mana of any color. Target opponent creates a token that is a copy of Mirror Maze.
It may look like an exit, but it is just another reflection.

IIW: A creature type from myth/legend/folklore that you wish was an official MTG creature type.

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Decrepit Terraforming Station
Land (R)
T, Exert Decrepit Terraforming Station: Search your library for a basic land card, reveal it, put it onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle.

IIW: Exert
Level 2 Judge circa 2016

Megiddo
MEG

Tower of Souls
Legendary Land {R}
Landbond (You may pair this land with another unpaired land when either enters the battlefield. They remain paired for as long as you control both of them.)
As long as Tower of Souls is paired with another land, each of those lands have "T: Sacrifice this land: Search your library for a basic land card and put it onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle."

IIW: extreme weather events
MEG

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”