Mana Crypt for every precon?

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 4 years ago

CubJay wrote:
4 years ago
Thing is, this wouldn't adding more fast mana to the format. Mana Crypt is already in the format, it's just hard to get your hands on (and, per ISBPathfinder, maybe not every deck wants it)
Uh, what? More accessibility equals more Mana Crypts in circulation means more Crypts being played means more fast mana in the format.

I'm all for crashing the secondary market and pissing speculators off, but not with Crypt.

MRHblue
Pronoun: he / him

Post by MRHblue » 4 years ago

Put them in the decks, then ban it!

cryogen
GΘΔ†

Post by cryogen » 4 years ago

hyalopterouslemur wrote:
4 years ago
cryogen wrote:
4 years ago
All of them, as far as I know. If any are missing hit me up and we'll add them.

Edit: d'oh, misquoted wrong person. That was aimed at hyper
Didn't get my name right, but whatever. (It means transparent wings. It's a reference to an actual card.)

Did a test. How do you do generic mana 10-20 or hybrid mana?
Sorry about that.

Look here: viewtopic.php?t=148&p=323#p_sym
Sheldon wrote:You're the reason we can't have nice things.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

MRHblue wrote:
4 years ago
Put them in the decks, then ban it!
I'm not 100% sure but I would not be surprised if you were right. I enjoy a lot of stuff about fast explosive mana games. But I also suspect they might outright ban crypt just for all the damn time it wastes with people "forgetting" their crypt triggers and such. That time adds up. And it adds a significant amount of effort to watch.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

I know we are talking about putting this card into a $35 product but I just thought I would point out that just a few years ago when it got reprinted you could get them for $50. Its still a difference in price but its not like it wasn't recently close to the price we are talking about. That is a big reason that I own 4 of them now because the price was good but I just thought I would point out that they were relatively affordable recently and I didn't exactly see a flood of it being added to decks.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 years ago
I just thought I would point out that they were relatively affordable recently
I'm not sure $50 for a single card is 'relatively affordable' to most players.

This is obviously not me; my historic cap has been around $250 for cards I *really* wanted, but it's not impossible I go higher (I have been recently eyeing Zodiac Dragon like a complete fool).

But, there are people I know who spend maybe $50 on an entire deck. Others buy precons, and maybe make $20 worth of modifications on them. I have a friend who I've been playing commander with for about 11 years, and he has - since Modern Horizons' release - balked at Yawgmoth, Thran Physician's $25-$30 (Canadian) pricetag.

I'm not sure $50 Mana Crypts are actually within people's budget for the game. Looking at the top cards on EDHREC, the vast majority are under $10 or so, and I would be willing to bet there is significant overlap between the set of people who contribute to EDHREC's data and the set of people who are willing to pay more than a few bucks for singles. I would venture that most people who play this game don't spend much at all after they buy a precon.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

Sinis wrote:
4 years ago
ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 years ago
I just thought I would point out that they were relatively affordable recently
I'm not sure $50 for a single card is 'relatively affordable' to most players.

This is obviously not me; my historic cap has been around $250 for cards I *really* wanted, but it's not impossible I go higher (I have been recently eyeing Zodiac Dragon like a complete fool).

But, there are people I know who spend maybe $50 on an entire deck. Others buy precons, and maybe make $20 worth of modifications on them. I have a friend who I've been playing commander with for about 11 years, and he has - since Modern Horizons' release - balked at Yawgmoth, Thran Physician's $25-$30 (Canadian) pricetag.

I'm not sure $50 Mana Crypts are actually within people's budget for the game. Looking at the top cards on EDHREC, the vast majority are under $10 or so, and I would be willing to bet there is significant overlap between the set of people who contribute to EDHREC's data and the set of people who are willing to pay more than a few bucks for singles. I would venture that most people who play this game don't spend much at all after they buy a precon.
That is valid, but Mana Crypt tends to be one of those cards that the less streamlined and efficient your deck is the worse of a card it is too. The damage at upkeep adds up and forces you to want to be proactive and close out games where as being on a budget doesn't really play well towards that idea.

I do have a lot of sympathy for those who are new to the game / commander and or on a budget but I am not sure that wishing Mana Crypt was more affordable is the best place to start for them. Things like Sylvan Library, Demonic Tutor, and Land Tax is more of fronts I would try to fight that fight for.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

I like Crypt as a target because it's one they could print into the ground without impacting other formats and also without needing to find an example for each color :)

If you did, say: There isn't really one for red. And the blue ones tend to be situational. There just aren't 'staples' like crypt and sol ring.

Easy experiment - see if you can bring Crypt down to 20 bucks or so. Then if so start doing some of the other colors :)

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 years ago
That is valid, but Mana Crypt tends to be one of those cards that the less streamlined and efficient your deck is the worse of a card it is too. The damage at upkeep adds up and forces you to want to be proactive and close out games where as being on a budget doesn't really play well towards that idea.

I do have a lot of sympathy for those who are new to the game / commander and or on a budget but I am not sure that wishing Mana Crypt was more affordable is the best place to start for them. Things like Sylvan Library, Demonic Tutor, and Land Tax is more of fronts I would try to fight that fight for.
Oh, I'm definitely not advocating for Mana Crypt to be super accessible/available. I don't want it banned for the people who do want to play that kind of game, but I would just as soon have the people I regularly play with not have to worry about relatively ubiquitous access to it; it's as you say - Mana Crypt demands a more streamlined/proactive deck, and I think that cards that just kind of grant resources are among the chief culprits in an arms race scenarios.

It's telling that I don't actually play my copy of the card in any of my decks.

I would also much rather we see more staple reprints. I'm not convinced Wizards will ever print enough Demonic Tutors to really meet demand.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”