[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - North Star

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

Monday, June 5th, 2023; Skaab Ruinator

'Member when this was spoiled and everyone was freakin out and this was a $30 mythic on release?

Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

turns out getting 3 creature cards in the bin is a lot of work

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

Skaab Ruinator is a big, cheap, and evasive body... but getting three creatures in the graveyard is actually pretty difficult in practice. If you're relying on creatures dying to removal / combat, that usually won't happen by turn 3, so it will rarely be played on curve. On the flip side, if you're running discard / self-mill to fuel it... then there are better ways to take advantage of a stocked graveyard, like reanimation or Treasure Cruise. A 5/6 flyer is... fine, but it excites me less in EDH. I suppose it works with Unearth and other 'reanimate a cheap creature' effects, at least.

It's somewhat interesting to contrast it with Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath, who has been a cross-format all-star. Uro has somewhat similar attributes - three mana, can be cast from the graveyard, needs you to exile other cards to cast it. Even if we ignore all of Uro's extra text (lifegain, card draw, ramp), Uro is still a superior card because it's more flexible - five cards of any type is much more manageable than three creature cards.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 1 year ago

I'm still surprised this hasn't proven effective while Tombstalker and Murktide Regent are. I guess part of the idea is that, especially in Modern, it's dramatically easier to get lands, instants, and sorceries into the 'yard than specifically creatures. There's also flexibility - you can cast Regent or Stalker for full price if you need to, and can also get them to just 2MV if your 'yard is full enough. This is always 3.

Anyhow, this is similarly awful in EDH. The decks that would be most intrigued in this (Ux Zombie decks) are the decks most likely to have better things to do with creatures in their 'yard. For non-zombie decks that just like yanking cards out of their own 'yard, Murktide more or less strictly betters this.

3drinks

Mookie wrote:
1 year ago
It's somewhat interesting to contrast it with Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath, who has been a cross-format all-star. Uro has somewhat similar attributes - three mana, can be cast from the graveyard, needs you to exile other cards to cast it. Even if we ignore all of Uro's extra text (lifegain, card draw, ramp), Uro is still a superior card because it's more flexible - five cards of any type is much more manageable than three creature cards.
Worth noting at least, Ruinator is under a buck. Uro is $$.

edit: ...or not. It's just $10, guess those bannings really kept in check.
Last edited by 3drinks 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

3drinks

Tuesday, June 6th, 2023; Tyvar, Jubilant Brawler

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 1 year ago

I didn't care about this character until this card. People use swords and magic and whatever to fight the Phyrexian menace, but Tyvar is just getting into it.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 1 year ago

This is a nice little planeswalker. Good static, solid +/- with no pesky ultimate to make my opponents rampage. Good loyalty for MV as well. Niche application that is welcome where it fits. I'll pick one of these up in case I ever build a commander with in the text box. Garth One-Eye loves this guy.

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 1 year ago

Kinda amazing how they kinda just retired this character after barely even doing much with him. Then again he's far from the only one handled that way *cough*Narset*cough* Calix. Lukka somehow feels more impactful to me and that's...yeah.

Dang good card to go out on though.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 1 year ago

Igzex wrote:
1 year ago
Lukka somehow feels more impactful to me and that's...yeah.
I seriously think someone on creative likes Lukka way more than the average person because he is one of the worst written characters and least interesting as well. But for some reason they have used him way more than someone like him should be. They should've just sidelined him after Ikoria.

What is really funny is that Calix getting desparked despite getting zero story time thanks to Theros Beyond Death not getting a story, only a write-up of what happened, and never showing up again despite supposedly being made to hunt down Elspeth. Is he a good character? A bad character? I dunno. But given how Elspeth was one of the most important players for the whole Phyrexian arc, it would've been interesting to see him hunting her down on New Capena, or even willingly work with the Phyrexians to fulfill his purpose.

Igzex

Guardman wrote:
1 year ago
But given how Elspeth was one of the most important players for the whole Phyrexian arc, it would've been interesting to see him hunting her down on New Capena, or even willingly work with the Phyrexians to fulfill his purpose.
I know right?!

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

Igzex wrote:
1 year ago
Guardman wrote:
1 year ago
But given how Elspeth was one of the most important players for the whole Phyrexian arc, it would've been interesting to see him hunting her down on New Capena, or even willingly work with the Phyrexians to fulfill his purpose.
I know right?!
What I wanna know is what he does now that he's landlocked. Unlike most people, Calix can't ponder the meaning of life as he was literally created as means to hunt Elspeth. That is the function for which he exists, no ifs ands or buts about it. So if Elspeth isn't on the same plane as him, his very existence is pointless. Does he end up like Ob Nixilis, fuming and sulking because he's trapped? Or is he just totally inert now?

EDIT: Tyvar is pretty cool too, I guess. Elf tribal just really isn't my thing, but it's also probably good in Tazri 3.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

Tyvar was secretly one of the strongest card in his respectful set. This card is a straight up banger, and if you haven't got a copy, it's like a dollar. Worth every penny I can assure you.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

3drinks

Wednesday, June 7th, 2023; Flumph

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 1 year ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
Igzex wrote:
1 year ago
Guardman wrote:
1 year ago
I know right?!
What I wanna know is what he does now that he's landlocked. Unlike most people, Calix can't ponder the meaning of life as he was literally created as means to hunt Elspeth. That is the function for which he exists, no ifs ands or buts about it. So if Elspeth isn't on the same plane as him, his very existence is pointless. Does he end up like Ob Nixilis, fuming and sulking because he's trapped? Or is he just totally inert now?

EDIT: Tyvar is pretty cool too, I guess. Elf tribal just really isn't my thing, but it's also probably good in Tazri 3.
A BG or BW Calix later on would be cool. We revisit Theros and he's become a godhunter, plotting and picking off demigods and gods alike. Maybe through manipulation of the gods' rivalries and paranoia, other times through outright violence until he's hamstrung the pantheon. Could be interesting. He's a murder machine, can't blame him for fulfilling his purpose.

Maybe he becomes allies with Athreos and/or Phenax?

Igzex

The fact that Flumphs of all things D&D got represented on a card still amazes me. I thought I was the only one who even remembered they are a thing.

The card is probably not very interesting to most, but that you target the opponent that gets to draw is well designed for more politically inclined strategies.

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 1 year ago

Uh, this actually does some work. I've seen draw lile 4 or 5 cards in my friends Queen Marchesa deck, always offering a deal to the players that were behind. Players are greedy for cards after all. Interesting card!

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

Igzex wrote:
1 year ago
The fact that Flumphs of all things D&D got represented on a card still amazes me. I thought I was the only one who even remembered they are a thing.
My knowledge of Flumphs is from Order of the Stick.

Anyway, I like the design of Flumph. It's pretty mediocre in 1v1, but much more interesting in multiplayer. If each opponent attacks into it, then you get a Cut a Deal every round, which seems solid. Alternatively, make some deals to benefit whichever opponent is furthest behind or to take down whoever is furthest ahead - if two opponents poke it for assistance dealing with the archenemy, that also seems good. You can also ping it with Pestilence or other effects for more card draw.

...on the other hand, if you're the furthest ahead, then your opponents may not give you the opportunity to draw off it. It is sort of a punisher effect, since your opponents can avoid damaging it most of the time. It pairs well with stuff like Smothering Tithe and forced attacks, but there aren't that many synergies beyond those, which can make it challenging to find a slot for it.

Hmmm... more broadly, I often prefer cards that rely on my own agency rather than the actions of my opponents, even if the latter may be stronger. I can control if Chivalric Alliance draws a card, but it's much more difficult to plan around Flumph or Mangara of Corondor generating value, even if they may trigger multiple times per turn cycle... and I think that's true even if you ignore the punisher aspects of the latter.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

kirkusjones wrote:
1 year ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
Igzex wrote:
1 year ago

I know right?!

A BG or BW Calix later on would be cool. We revisit Theros and he's become a godhunter, plotting and picking off demigods and gods alike. Maybe through manipulation of the gods' rivalries and paranoia, other times through outright violence until he's hamstrung the pantheon. Could be interesting. He's a murder machine, can't blame him for fulfilling his purpose.

Maybe he becomes allies with Athreos and/or Phenax?
Something, anything. This is a case of Chekov's Gun at this point and I demand to see the %$#% go off.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

3drinks

Thursday, June 8th, 2023; Mirrorhall Mimic // Ghastly Mimicry

Double clone. This is why OG clone|3ed isn't playable, too many vanilla+ options at the same mv.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 1 year ago

TBH I stopped looking at clones 5 or 6 years ago. There's so many of them now that have added value in one way or another and in fact this is a very good one. Maybe I'll have to revisit my stock clone allotments soon.

RedCheese

Post by RedCheese » 1 year ago

Another clone for my Gyruda, Doom of Depths deck

Igzex

I've always been amazed at how WOTC never runs out of ideas for Clone retrains.

3drinks

Friday, June 9th, 2023; Cannibalize

The cheapest way to exile in b, and unconditionally at that.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”