The Community Deck Build Project v6.0

Henlock
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

@toctheyounger, Sadly, rebound doesn't work with Velo. For the card to rebound it needs to be cast from hand.

toctheyounger
Pronoun: he / him

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

Henlock wrote:
1 year ago
@toctheyounger, Sadly, rebound doesn't work with Velo. For the card to rebound it needs to be cast from hand.
I really have to start reading cards.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

Yay imposing grandeur and seize the spoils

Card advantage doesn't need to be card draw necessarily. Chambreaker Devils is CA.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

Yeah, I think what's happening is people are looking for pure CA that just doesn't exist in the colours. Not enough are looking at loot, virtual CA options (of which, Tithe is a classic at, but so is Endless Horizons and Kor Skyfisher with cards like KotWO). Boros Garrison and Guildless Commons can do it too. Likewise I'm a big fan of Sacred Mesa|ath and/or Goblin Trenches + Bennie Bracks, Zoologist - that card is criminally under rated (and it triggers off Smothering Tithe as well, just like Idol of Oblivion), deep gnome terramancer, battle angels of tyr, mostly new cards because w CA is a relatively new thing. We just need to adjust our perspectives

Do we have to go back and add Land Tax|4ed? Especially if we're playing karoos and Lotus Field...

I'm not the biggest fan of wheels, but Imposing Grandeur does seem to tick the right boxes in that it's easier for us to turn it asymmetrical, though there is some outliers where people run a high mv commander with natural cost reduction. But who would play that big dummy thicc beater :smirk: . At any rate, I think I can yay this card because having the one wheel is likely okay and we can leverage it well.

Thorough Investigation has been eliminated and Seize the Spoils has either been confirmed, or it has two yays by my count and I'm about to be the confirming yay here. So either way it's confirmed in.

We're at 8/10 card advantage/selection slots, and really it's seven because we have no way to proc bonder's enclave outside of the commander so far, as we put @Dunharrow and @Crazy Monkey to round out the week.

Prison Sentence yay - 2 nay - 2
Imposing Grandeur yay - 2 nay - 0
toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
aliciaofthevast wrote:
1 year ago
how do we feel about The One Ring?
I think it's a good card in the right place, with stuff like Clock of Omens to untap it or Flux Channeler to proliferate it, but I don't know that it'll be truly as busted as it could be in this deck.
Worth noting, I don't think you want to speed it up like this because then you just die, right? Outside of, say, having a Personal Sanctuary or using Urza's Saga to find your Claws of Gix in time. I wanted to say it's gonna work best as a phyrexian arena|apc but it only draws when you activate and thus snowballs into killing you. Sounds like a deck for Baneslayer Angel...

Dunharrow

Chandra, Hope's Beacon seems perfect for this deck, but I won't submit it because it hasn't even been released yet.

I am going to nominate Dualcaster Mage. Best CA is copying your opponent's CA?
EDIT - Actually, since we do not have any creature synergies, Wild Ricochet is my real pick.

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 1 year ago

I have definitely been spending more time looking for dedicated CA than virtual CA, so that assessment is true for me. I will nominate Battle Angels of Tyr, as we are considering a subtheme of attack triggers.

I have also been wanting to nominate that Chandra if the deck is still in progress on release.

I like Wild Ricochet a lot, but am somewhat hesitant here. The stack order and triggers means that it can never have a target off of our commander's trigger. It's a reasonable expectation that we can leave mana untapped for it once our commander lands, so I can see the utility, but I don't know if I am convinced over a lower MV option that could hit early ramp like Reverberate.

Yea Imposing Grandeur, that's some direct draw.
I like scary here, so also yea Prison Sentence. That's reasonable double-duty.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

Moonlighter
Lunatic

Post by Moonlighter » 1 year ago

I'll put in a Yay for Battle Angels of Tyr. Also works for Bonder's. I am uncertain about Wild Ricochet because I don't understand what @Crazy Monkey is talking about with stack order and triggers making this not work for cards we freecast with Velomachus. Or do you mean we can't use it when we swing with him?
Playing EDH: Alesha Who Smiles at Death; Baba Lysaga, Night Witch; Emiel the Blessed; Breena, the Demagogue; Xenagos, God of Revels; Seton, Krosan Protector; Phelddagrif.

toctheyounger

Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
Chandra, Hope's Beacon seems perfect for this deck, but I won't submit it because it hasn't even been released yet.

I am going to nominate Dualcaster Mage. Best CA is copying your opponent's CA?
EDIT - Actually, since we do not have any creature synergies, Wild Ricochet is my real pick.
For what it's worth I wouldn't be averse to DCM. It gives us the possibility of ab easy mode win with Twinflame if we wanna do that.

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 1 year ago

Moonlighter wrote:
1 year ago
I'll put in a Yay for Battle Angels of Tyr. Also works for Bonder's. I am uncertain about Wild Ricochet because I don't understand what @Crazy Monkey is talking about with stack order and triggers making this not work for cards we freecast with Velomachus. Or do you mean we can't use it when we swing with him?
I meant that we can't free cast it. You need an empty stack to attack, and attack triggers that cast spell don't reorder the stack, so the spell cast effectively takes the position in the stack that the trigger was on. Even casting a spell afterwards and changing targets doesn't work because of stack order.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

Henlock

I am thinking that we can't even cast wild Ricochet with Velo on spells cast from other attack triggers such as Etali, Primal Storm or Keldon Flamesage. Still, I think this kind of effect is neat to have. Effect worded ala "next spell you cast" will work, such as Repeated Reverberation and twinferno

Yay Grandeur and Battle Angel.of Tyr its myriad with extra combats looks sweet.

3drinks

I was hoping I'd see someone submit Smuggler's Share now that it's $10. Hopefully we can get that in because it's clearly going to proc often.

Dunharrow

Repeated Reverberation was also something I was thinking about. The awkward thing is that if you have it in hand, you have to cast it before swinging with the commander without knowing if you will have a hit.

So the issue becomes what is better in hand and what is better for free

Not sure I know without playing the deck

3drinks

Battle Angels of Tyr has two confirms, and I'm about to confirm it into the deck myself. Prison Sentence and Imposing Grandeur have both been confirmed.

Wild Ricochet has...not aged well, it's the kind of card you read and get excited for and then you realize four is a lot to hold up for this. It's really bad when you go a turn cycle and don't have anything to hit with it, despite how good it feels to hit an ancestral vision with it. I think that's a nay, though I'd yay it if it were something like Fork since that's much easier to hold. By my estimation I'm the only vote? Unsure if monkey had voted nay or not.

Wild Ricochet yay - 0 nay - 1

That brings us to 11/10 card advantage and selection slots, so I think with our nominees for today we can move on to interaction. Let's shoot for fifteen slots, since our commander cares about noncreature interaction, we can get away with a higher count easy. So let's put @Moonlighter and @RxPhantom on the clock.

Moonlighter
Lunatic

Post by Moonlighter » 1 year ago

Oblation. Good removal, not too far under our commander's power, emergency card draw for us.
Playing EDH: Alesha Who Smiles at Death; Baba Lysaga, Night Witch; Emiel the Blessed; Breena, the Demagogue; Xenagos, God of Revels; Seton, Krosan Protector; Phelddagrif.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

Wild Ricochet is fun and cool stuff always happens with it. Yay. Not sure yet on Oblation though. I'm gonna have to cogitate on that one for a bit.

I'm gonna nominate Collective Effort|Eldritch Moon. It'll kill two permanents and boost our team. Plus, escalate works with Velo's ability, AND since he has vigilance, we can use him to ensure we can always use at least two out of the three modes. This card kicks ass in this deck and should be the easiest yay ever.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Dunharrow

Oblation? Nay. I just never run it. White has so many good removal spells.

Collective Effort is... soso. It only kills big things and enchantments, so we shouldn't think of it as a slam dunk. I think white has better removal spells that hit more targets. For sorcery speed removal we have better options I would like to see in the deck before this one. Nay.
I don't get why this is the easiest yay. Sorcery speed narrow removal is hardly an easy yay.

I don't really care about having Wild Ricochet in the deck. We have enough CA and I don't particularly like fork effects. I know I suggested it but really think we have CA loaded enough as is.

3drinks

Hmm, so let's break it down. Collective Effort is a sorcery Reprisal|all stapled onto the cheaper half of Wear // Tear and half of Ajani Goldmane's -1. I think these are all worth the three mv if played together, but if we're not leveraging it then this looks really inefficient. And even the escalate means we'd need at least three creatures to benefit from the +1/+1 counters the turn cast - we'd get more damage just from attacking. Sounds like this is more of a Selesnya plant than a spellslinger one. I think this is a nay.

I'm a fan of Oblation, it's a great hit off Velo, can deal with anything not a land, can be a divination in a pinch. Yeha, we've been spoiled with Unexpectedly Absent these days, but I think it's still powerful and versatile. That's a yay.

For today we're still at 0/15 interaction slots with @Henlock and @aliciaofthevast on the clock.

Wild Ricochet yay - 1 nay - 1
Collective Effort yay - 0 nay - 2
Oblation yay - 1 nay - 1

toctheyounger

Yea Collective Effort, it's one I was gonna pick.

Oblation seems fine. Not sure I'd ever want to cast it other than free from the top, but as a sometime draw card too, I'll take it. Yea.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 1 year ago

Oh, do I need to make some votes? I've been distracted by WrestleMania this weekend 😂.

Well for my card today, I'm gonna start with Lightning Bolt. Lots of x/3s to hit and you laugh but it's so satisfying to bolt someone for lethal. Right, @3drinks 👀💀

I like wild ricochet, even if it's hard to hold up! It's a very satisfying gotcha moment and I'm here for it! Yay.

I'll yay oblation too, it does the thing. Sometimes can be defensive. Lots of people under valuing it I see.

I'd like to see more defense on collective effort before I call it, and why is it not the r one.

toctheyounger

aliciaofthevast wrote:
1 year ago
I'd like to see more defense on collective effort before I call it, and why is it not the one.
To me, it can clear the skies of angels or dragons so we can get in in the first mode, take care of tithes, fish and studies in the second and gives a permanent buff in the last - that last is helpful while going wide if we need to, but also, buffing our Dragon daddy gives us the opportunity to play bigger spells of the top too. Add in that our commander has vigilance, secretly the best combat keyword, and it has the versatility to kind of be a catch all in every way we need it to be. It's not soul crushingly amazing, but it's definitely got the pivot the deck needs for a reasonable cost and no downside.

My 0.02

Henlock

I really like Oblation, so yay

I am not sure lightning Bolt. I like direct damage here but I think that with Velo we should aim for more expensive ones.

I am still not sure where we're heading but Orim's Thunder can fit nice here. It's an instant that can 2 for 1 and the kicker is cheap enough to be manageable when cast with Velo. I like Dismantling Wave, too, but I rather go for instant speed. I also considered True Love's Kiss, which I am playing more and more... There are just too many disenchants to choose from.

Henlock

I think Collective Effort is worth a try. IYay. think flexibility is really important when Velo triggers, and the more focused our spells are, the most likely to not be able to take full advantage of them.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

Henlock wrote:
1 year ago
I think Collective Effort is worth a try. IYay. think flexibility is really important when Velo triggers, and the more focused our spells are, the most likely to not be able to take full advantage of them.
This was the idea I was working toward when nominating it. Thank you for stating it more eloquently than I was able to. It would be quite the rare occasion for it to have no targets.

Yay to Oblation.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

3drinks

Oblation has been confirmed. We got a lot of picks here backing up in the queue that need votes still. I'm never gonna not yay a bolt, and I think orim's thunder is the kind of card we want more of. I always liked it back in the day at least.

We're gonna round out this cycle with myself and @TheAmericanSpirit. We're at 1/15 of interaction slots presently. For myself, I'm gonna nominate Collective Defiance.

Wild Ricochet yay - 2 nay - 1
Collective Effort yay - 2 nay - 2
Oblation|ons yay - 4 nay - 1
Orim's Thunder|apc yay - 1 nay - 0
Lightning Bolt|sld yay - 1 nay - 0
Collective Defiance yay - 0 nay - 0
aliciaofthevast wrote:
1 year ago
Well for my card today, I'm gonna start with Lightning Bolt. Lots of x/3s to hit and you laugh but it's so satisfying to bolt someone for lethal. Right, @3drinks 👀💀
Ohhhhhh, she got jokes. Stupid Mana Crypt :fuming:
Henlock wrote:
1 year ago
I am not sure lightning Bolt. I like direct damage here but I think that with Velo we should aim for more expensive ones.
I think we just had this conversation at the start of the thread, no? I think it was me that talked about freecasting Path to Exile and the consensus was it's still really good while having the upside of being castable without the help of a dragon. Having a hand of six drop instants isn't gonna do us any good when we don't have our seven drop on the board. And Bolt does kill it's fair share, even if it's not immediately evident just how many x/3s you need to remove (hi, Captain Sisay, Godo, Bandit Warlord|2xm when Helm of the Host comes down) and it does it at instant speed for the lowest cost imaginable.

In the case of bolt, I speak from experience on both sides of killing with and being killed by, a bolt. For me, this is always gonna be the easiest yay that's not Arcum's Astrolabe. What? Don't look at me like that, I haven't suggested this card this whole thread. :P

Henlock

Yay to bolt. It's indeed not a matter of "or", but a matter of "and". We need cheap interaction..

yay to collective defiance

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”