The Community Deck Build Project v6.0

Moonlighter
Lunatic
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Moonlighter » 1 year ago

I'll nay Sunforger. It's good in the right spot but I agree the deck is already too mana intensive with our commander. Yay windfall.
Playing EDH: Alesha Who Smiles at Death; Baba Lysaga, Night Witch; Emiel the Blessed; Breena, the Demagogue; Xenagos, God of Revels; Seton, Krosan Protector; Phelddagrif.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

Top didn't make the cut? Fair I guess. If we're heavy on fetch thats a wild take but we're not so it's second best to Rack to me.

Heavy nay for Sunforger. That card has had it's day and we just don't need it. It's hella expensive too.

Yay to Windfall.

My pick is Dragon's Rage Channeler. Helps filter our attack triggers and smooth our draws, and its early board presence too. Notably this triggers from our rocks too, so while it doesn't go deep it goes often.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

yay windfall and drc

@3drinks Tops is so bad in this deck. We dig 7 cards. So top is not really impacting our ability to hit anything.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

Sunforger has been denied, after a tenacious debate and a final standing of 2-5. Unexpected Windfall has been confirmed unanimously. Darcy is interesting, I'm unsure if I'm terrorized by seeing it in modern Murktide, or that it's a single one drop that likely becomes collateral damage in the greater scope of commander. Well, what else can we do, realistically? I suppose I have to yay it on principle.

It's Monday, so let's put @Dunharrow on the clock along with @Moonlighter. We're at 3, about to be 4/10 on card advantage/selection slots so we've still got some room to go here.

Dragon's Rage Channeler yay - 2 nay - 0

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Dunharrow

Not sure if you would count this as card advantage, but I think doubling our spells is card advantage...
Double Vision
Works so well with the red draw spells too.

Moonlighter
Lunatic

Yay Dragon's Rage Channeler. She'll do work here. I'll put Bonders' Enclave up. It'll be on with our commander and hopefully some others. If we're free casting spells on the attack, then we can use some saved mana to draw later.
Playing EDH: Alesha Who Smiles at Death; Baba Lysaga, Night Witch; Emiel the Blessed; Breena, the Demagogue; Xenagos, God of Revels; Seton, Krosan Protector; Phelddagrif.

Dunharrow

Ya Bonder's Enclave. Zero drawback in my opinion.

3drinks

Man, I was saving double vision for a latre pick myself, didn't think anyone else even remembered this card existed.

I'm not sure I can call it card advantage as much as a combo piece that only combos with the commander since this does absolutely nothing on it's own. Think this needs a pin in it?

Onto bonder's enclave, when is this better than the war room that's already in the deck? As is right now, we have no way to get it online outside of the commander and even then this is just a Jayemdae Tome in the mana base. I'm not crazy about that, and less so when it's conditional. Why this over, say, Mikokoro, Center of the Sea or Geier Reach Sanitarium that do the thing for less mana unconditionally? I want to nay this, but I'm also in the mood to have a discussion about it.

If you're already resigned to pay effectively 4 to draw a card, why are we not considering Mind's Eye or, say, even Urza's Blueprints (that combos with Goblin Welder if we were so inclined)?

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

toctheyounger

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
I'm unsure if I'm terrorized by seeing it in modern Murktide, or that it's a single one drop that likely becomes collateral damage in the greater scope of commander
Almost certainly it's both. That said by the time it's collateral damage its already done its work. Very small investment for a really strong effect.

Double Vision I'm not sure about as a card advantage engine given its cost. I think we could spring for one or two of these in the deck anyway, so I guess we might as well get it over the line now. Yea. Fwiw though my opinion is that we really only want 1-2 of these in the 100. They're very much a diminishing return in higher quantities to me.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 1 year ago

I like double vision! I think the upside is incredible despite the very clear floor, sometimes you just gotta go for it!

The land I am not so sure on. Are we playing titans and primordials and dragons and angels? I don't think this is a good pick based only on a seven mana commander though. Maybe someone can convince me to change my vote?

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

aliciaofthevast wrote:
1 year ago
I like double vision! I think the upside is incredible despite the very clear floor, sometimes you just gotta go for it!

The land I am not so sure on. Are we playing titans and primordials and dragons and angels? I don't think this is a good pick based only on a seven mana commander though. Maybe someone can convince me to change my vote?
It costs next to nothing, opportunity wise. It doesn't eat a nonland slot, it doesn't enter tapped, it isn't particularly conspicuous. What it does do is allow us to draw cards for an okay rate sometimes, whenever that need may arise. Of course, Arch of Orazca fulfills all those checks too and doesn't require a big body, but I think all lands with reusable draw attached are pretty good in the lategame or during a boardstall.

Yea Enclave.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Moonlighter
Lunatic

My thought re: Bonder's is that it works in the lategame, and has the benefits @TheAmericanSpirit mentioned - it's a land, it gives mana, won't get hit by sweepers, is inconspicuous, and isn't symmetrical like some of the ones you mentioned, @3drinks. So I'm hardly married to it, but I think it'll work later. This deck probably won't show the same ability to capitalize better on card draw than most other decks, so symmetry is probably not a great bet here. If we don't end up with some beaters in Boros, I guess I'll be a bit surprised. There are a few handy ones that might be relevant later on. I'm sure there are others, but I just selected a couple that use instants and sorceries in their rules.

Henlock
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

Yay to enclave, channeler and double vision

Dunharrow

3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Man, I was saving double vision for a latre pick myself, didn't think anyone else even remembered this card existed.

I'm not sure I can call it card advantage as much as a combo piece that only combos with the commander since this does absolutely nothing on it's own. Think this needs a pin in it?
Why does it need the commander? Play Double Vision and Path two creatures is also good.
I know it is not a normal card advantage spell, but that's like saying Kor Spiritdancer isn't a card advantage engine.
We will play lots of instants and sorceries in this deck, and Double Vision will give us major card advantage.

In any case, seems like most agree it fits this deck well, yourself included... not sure why we would put a pin in it.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

Yay to Enclave. A late game mana-sink is good. It's dug me out of a non-zero number of holes. Yay to Channeler. It'll probably get more work done here than we (or opponents for that matter) will ever give it credit for. Yay Double Vision. This card is just cool and will let cool things happen. Yay all day.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 1 year ago

Yea Double Vision. I don't think that we're going for storm here, so copying a good spell 1-4 times per turn cycle should pay off quickly.

Yea Dragon's Rage Channeler. It's not a massive amount of card selection, but it is hard to argue with the MV.

I think Bonders' Enclave is a low enough opportunity cost in the mana base that it's worth including. Yea, and furthermore I don't think that it should count towards the current category. It is likely not drawing cards until after Velamacis is out and we hold up mana for instants. It is fairly corner case, but it's cost is only slightly worse mana fixing.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

3drinks

Double Vision, Darcy, and Bonder's Enclave have all three been confirmed.

@RxPhantom and @TheAmericanSpirit are on the clock.
Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
Why does it need the commander? Play Double Vision and Path two creatures is also good.
I know it is not a normal card advantage spell, but that's like saying Kor Spiritdancer isn't a card advantage engine.
We will play lots of instants and sorceries in this deck, and Double Vision will give us major card advantage.

In any case, seems like most agree it fits this deck well, yourself included... not sure why we would put a pin in it.
Because when you resolve it, you likely aren't resolving anything else that turn. A five mv do nothing is a big ask, even if it does have tremendous upside if we untap with it. That can be said for lots of (arguably) worse cards. I don't think the spiritdancer is a fair comparison given it's a two drop and thus the odds of casting it and being unable to follow it up is low. Double Vision on the other hand, really has to be played as though it's a six drop at the minimum. That's all I'm saying. Proceed with caution.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

I nominate Brainstone. It's another low opportunity cost way to set up Velo.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 1 year ago

Brainstone is pretty good I think! Do we have enough shuffle effects to make it a true draw three? Or do we need a package with like Goblin Engineer and Scrap Welder? I guess at worst we can put a spell we want to cast for free on top and that's pretty cool, so I think this is a yay!

toctheyounger

Yea for Brainstone. I don't think there's many decks that want it, but this could be one of em. Especially if we end up on Goblin Welder or Sevinne's Reclamation or whatnot.

3drinks

Yeah I think brainstone is a pretty good pick. Really just checks as many of the boxes as possible, especially from a one drop.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

By the same token, do we think Conch Horn is good enough?

Henlock

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

Brainstone will work very nicely here. Yay.
Conch Horn looks good, too.

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 1 year ago

Yea Brainstone and Conch Horn. Putting cards to free-cast back on top of our deck should be a very efficient pairing with Velomachus. There aren't many in this color identity and they should pay off.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

Yay to Brainstone.

I'll nominate Prison Sentence. Not the most efficient removal, but does let us scry 2 and can be pretty tough to deal with.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”