3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

Crazy Monkey wrote:
1 year ago
3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
Archaeomancer's Map and Visions of Ruin have both been confirmed.

I'm going to place the first tentative nay on Inspired Tinkering where I never want to spend five on this and a Big Score will almost always be superior. Tinkering is the kind of card I want to hit off the dragon though.
This makes sense. I though about the 4MV spells like score or Pirate's Pillage, and didn't like the idea of 0 net cards or when when free cast as much. But they are much better as ramp spells to reach 7 on turn 5 with just land drops. Are we firm in the categories now? If it's a 'ramp slot' specifically then I agree with you, but if it's a flex slot between ramp and value then I still support my nomination.
It is ramp slots. I don't include "value" slots in building because what is "value"? When you answer that you find it becomes a catch all for pet cards and "this might be good" cards more often than not.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

This one is only just under budget but it's worth the flutter. It's really only up there because RL = $$

Tithe. Has the usual 'bad white ramp' clause but it can pick up duals instead of just basics. Plus as an instant we can still use it off the attack trigger. Not the best thing to hit but it's better than a whiff too.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

Yay tinkering, I've seen that card do work lately.

Nay Tithe. Sorry Toc, that card is unattainable to the average player and overrated outside of that. The art is the best thing about it imho.

Edit: oh %$#%, it's down to 23 bucks now. So pretty attainable actually. Still overrated.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

toctheyounger

Respect for that opinion. It's put in work for me. Being able to grab shocks and duals is what makes it worth it in my opinion. But yeah it's hard to track down. I own one purely on happenstance (and now I need to achieve the same for Phyrexian Devourer and Flicker because I build around obscurity apparently).

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 1 year ago

Oh man, Tithe is awesome! Maybe less so without duals (and fetches to make sure we can always get two lands!) but I guess we do have all but Plateau as is. I don't see any reason it's gonna be less than fantastic here as well.

I think you should submit inspired tinkering again when we do card advantage picks 😏. I don't think of five mana as where I want to start ramping. So in this category, I believe it's a nay.

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 1 year ago

Yea Tithe. Similar to Gift of Estates, it can get any plains. However, I am getting somewhat concerned by the amount of ramp category cards that don't advance the amount of mana in play. We do need to count up to 7 mana after all.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

toctheyounger

Crazy Monkey wrote:
1 year ago
Yea Tithe. Similar to Gift of Estates, it can get any plains. However, I am getting somewhat concerned by the amount of ramp category cards that don't advance the amount of mana in play. We do need to count up to 7 mana after all.
I think we're out of luck with regards to spells that gets extra lands into play in these colors. Even the Map, that isn't how it works, from experience. You never achieve anything but table parity from it. That said there's still stuff like Sword of the Animist and Sword of Hearth and Home that could help. Even stuff like Jeska's Will still lets you play lands from it too. Or Birgi, God of Storytelling // Harnfel, Horn of Bounty I guess, but I don't know yet if she fits.

We probably need to laser focus down on some good rocks from here on in. Signets and Stones and everything in between.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

I'm gonna nominate old boring-ass Talisman of Conviction f [/card]. Ya to Tinkering. Seems fun. I don't necessarily consider it ramp, but it's good in this deck. Rules can be bent sometimes.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

3drinks

Crazy Monkey wrote:
1 year ago
I find in counting to seven, just ensuring we can keep making land drops is often the more consistent way to get up to our desired number because temp accelerants leave us in a bad way when the target is inevitably removed and an overabundant amount of rocks becomes more vulnerable to, say, a Purify effect. So we need a balance of treasure bursts, conventional rocks, and land fetch to make sure we can get to seven consistently.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

toctheyounger

Yea Talisman. I'm gonna sit on the fence with Tinkering, I suspect it might get there anyway but I've not the experience with it to go one way or the other.
3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
an overabundant amount of rocks becomes more vulnerable to, say, a Purify effect.
It is hilarious how archaic your card references are. Never change, good sir.

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Yea Talisman of Conviction. There's a small risk in mana rocks between Null Rod or removal, but it's still efficient, fixes mana colors, and less likely to be targeted than a Thran Dynamo.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

Yay Talisman
tinkering is...weird. I would rather big draw spells filling my hand, and this type of impulse draw being cheaper to help hit land drops. But with a 7mv dragon, it seems like it would be the place to try it out. Yay.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

3drinks

Inspired Tinkering managed to come through with a finish of 4-2. Talisman of Conviction|h1r is connfirmed with a 3-0 finish, expectedly so. That'll bring us up to 8/12 ramp slots.

With four more slots to fill, let's put @Crazy Monkey and @Moonlighter on the clock.
toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
3drinks wrote:
1 year ago
an overabundant amount of rocks becomes more vulnerable to, say, a Purify effect.
It is hilarious how archaic your card references are. Never change, good sir.
I wanted a specific example to ilustrate the point, and Purify|ulg fit the bill to a tee without any extra illustration distracting from the point.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Based on prior discussion, my nomination today is Big Score. It is not great card advantage, but it gets to 7 mana faster, and is still a reasonable flip off of the attack trigger. It is also an instant, so if we have interaction, we can hold that up for a turn cycle before ramping during an opponents end step.
Commander Decks

Moonlighter
Lunatic

Post by Moonlighter » 1 year ago

Aw crap I've been called out uh… Prosperous Partnership would be pretty funny to get working in a deck and our commander already has vigilance so let's get a little incremental value. I don't actually expect this to pass, but who knows. It's hardly ever going to be worth removing, and it's likely to operate like a less versatile Black Market Connections for us. Not great but let's see.
Playing EDH: Alesha Who Smiles at Death; Baba Lysaga, Night Witch; Emiel the Blessed; Breena, the Demagogue; Xenagos, God of Revels; Seton, Krosan Protector; Phelddagrif.

3drinks

Big yay to Big Score, obviously.

I'm not sure prosperous partnership fits the bill here. In, say, an Otharri, Suns' Glory having a native way to leverage it makes me more keen on the value this would provide. I don't see that here. Think this is a nay for that reason.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

I didn't remember seeing Prosperous Partnership before, that's a cool method to get mana from tokens. I think that I am an abstain vote for now, mostly because it is not clear how well that will mesh with the concepts for the deck. There was a fair amount of discussion regarding attack triggers, and we don't yet know what creatures will be available to tap. As my thoughts about ramp have been focused on landing the commander, I don't know whether the deck can make use of this before we spend 7.

I am open to be convinced otherwise, and think that it could be good, but for now there isn't enough structure for it to make sense.
Commander Decks

toctheyounger

Yea to Score. It's a fine hit from our commander and at worst it's card parity and banking treasure.

Prosperous Partnership I can see putting in work if we're building for it. If we've got Young Peezy and Monastery Mentor (the latter of which I'm totally recommending down the line) we can totally abuse the crap out of it. I'll give it a yea, not because it's a definite lock, but because it could be good and I'd like to keep it open. I think there's a good chance it gets nayed out in the meantime, but it could do quite well imo and it might be something to circle back to later down the line.

aliciaofthevast
Phyrexian Flesh Agent
Pronoun: she / her

Post by aliciaofthevast » 1 year ago

I'll yay Big Score! I think the other card should be revisited once we flesh out the deck?

Dunharrow

I will yay big score and properous partnership. I think partnership needs a few token makers to get there, and I think this can push us slightly in that direction.
We can always cut it if we don't end up there.

Henlock
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Henlock » 1 year ago

Alright, lot to see here!

Prosperous Partnership is an interesting choice. If we will be making tokens, which is something well supported in Boros, it can open up stuff like Legion's Landing // Adanto, the First Fort and even Path of Mettle // Metzali, Tower of Triumph as "ramp."

I am yaying it, with the understanding that the direction the deck takes might get it replaced.

I like Tithe's fixing potential. I'll yay it, but maybe we can talk about a replacement for people to build the paper version of this.

I'll yay Big Score, although when hit with Velomachus it literally doesn't live up to its name

3drinks

Well Big Score and Prosperous Partnership both have enough to be confirmed in, so there's that. That brings our ramp slots to 10/12, and with potentially the last two slots on the board, I'll put myself and @Dunharrow on the clock before it gets to the weekend.

And my nomination is sol ring|brc, because somehow no one has said this card yet.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Moonlighter
Lunatic

Post by Moonlighter » 1 year ago

Yay to Sol Ring because Sol Ring and this commander needs mana.
Playing EDH: Alesha Who Smiles at Death; Baba Lysaga, Night Witch; Emiel the Blessed; Breena, the Demagogue; Xenagos, God of Revels; Seton, Krosan Protector; Phelddagrif.

Dunharrow

I'm going to go out on a limb and nominate Arcane Signet and Mind Stone
I really want to nominate mind stone, but how can signet not be in the deck.

In any case, since many of these ramp spells also draw cards I think we can afford a 13th.

toctheyounger

Yeah, all 3 of these should be in the deck. Yea, Yea, Yea.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”