Titania Land Destruction

BaronCappuccino
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by BaronCappuccino » 1 year ago

Why Titania?
When you're building mono green lands, there are, I think, three universal components that any of them will want: multiple lands per turn, play lands from the graveyard, and payoff for doing such. You get to pick one of the three to be your commander. Titania, Nature's Force lets you play from the yard. A friend of mine took his Azusa, Lost but Seeking deck in a vicious stax direction rather than the generic ramp into fatties that the card seems to point you towards. It's the best in class for multiple lands per turn, and we'll be playing both, but not as our commander. Titania, Protector of Argoth says the quiet part out loud. She wants to be the bad girl. A deck that rewards sacrificing your own lands rewards Strip Mine as much as it rewards Misty Rainforest This particular list tempers its edge with modest thematic considerations, it eschews combo and craves grinding value. It's also, by no means, budget. It's not in the cEDH forum because it doesn't get there. I don't know what number it would get, but it doesn't want to be a seven. Can you get higher than a seven with an insistence on winning "fair"? That's where my mind is: mean but fair. Fair with Craterhoof Behemoth.

Titania

Commander (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

How Titania?
Titania doesn't do much if she's not in play. Early on, ramping into her is the goal. Do you drop a Strip Mine or the like at this point? The only reason not to is if it'll expose your strategy, and if you think that matters. On the other hand, you'll have a more explosive turn when you cast Titania if you fertilise the garden a little. That said, the win condition here isn't land destruction, it's 5/3 elementals, so treat any Strip Mine loops you might set up as more a means to an end than an end. You can set one up with one of the myriad Crucible of Worlds variants in the deck. Throw in an Azusa, Lost but Seeking or the like and things get mean. They get mean, but not necessary. Alternatively, I devoted a second strategy to turning my lands into creatures where death happens as a matter of course. Close things out with Craterhoof Behemoth, because games have to end sometime.

Last edited by BaronCappuccino 1 year ago, edited 4 times in total.

Tags:

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 1 year ago

This list looks very similar to my Titania, Protector of Argoth deck, and can confirm that it is VERY explosive. Especially when I get some combination of Lotus Cobra, Scapeshift, Gaea's Cradle, Splendid Reclamation, and Greater Good, and Concordant Crossroads, I can usually OTK the table. The number of creatures this deck can pump out is impressive, and they are all very threatening. Which is why I pack most of the draw that triggers on 3 and 4 power creatures entering the battlefield. I think there are 3 of them. Really gasses up the deck once we sac everything and bring it back with Splendid Reclamation. Haste has been the one speed bump of the deck when I go to "combo" off, so I play crossroads and am testing Crashing Drawbridge with limited success.

World Shaper I didn't see in the list. May have missed it. I also lean as hard as possible to getting a fetch land opening hand, so I throw the commons in too. Terramorphic Expanse and Evolving Wilds. I would rather turn 3 Evolving Wilds than Strip Mine just to ramp harder and not make early enemies. Though I do play Strip mine and wasteland, they are not for early Titania triggers.

For any readers not wanting Craterhoof Behemoth, I favor Kamahl, Heart of Krosa since it is the same MV and triggers on the turn he is played. Nissa, Ascended Animist could be good here too. End-Raze Forerunners and Overwhelming Stampede are simpler cards that can get the job done once I hit about 10 5/3's. All they need is a small boost and trample to end the most threatening player or two.

Nissa, Vital Force is quality card draw that ult's after only one turn cycle, and makes here own 5/5 blocker.

Let me know how the land animation package works for you. So far I don't seem to need it much, but I have considered Rude Awakening more than once for this deck to leverage the 15+ lands I get in play every game. Wrenn and Seven was also on my to-try list, but haven't picked one up yet.

BaronCappuccino
Answers: 1

Post by BaronCappuccino » 1 year ago

Was mulling adding the AAA rocks to the deck, and while Sol Ring and Mana Crypt are maybeboarded for now, Sylvan Library is in. Boreal Druid is out. Not sure why I initially passed it up.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”