Kardur Deck Tech - When Is a Gift not a Gift?

Petar_Enev
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Petar_Enev » 1 year ago

Kardur Gifts 1.0

All Kardur decklists tend to gravitate towards aristocrat strategy and the second Kardur ability. Well, my deck idea is to focus on the first ability and make the best combat phase there could be... well for me at least! :)

Deck properties:
  • No infinite combos or tutors
  • Repeatable ways to re-play, copy and blink Kardur
  • Gifts - various ways to give target opponent creatures or tokens.
  • Aristocrats - cards that have an effect when the "gifts" are dying
Moxfield - https://www.moxfield.com/decks/dMWv2T6CZUWkEu02XZy0Jw

Decklist

Commander

Approximate Total Cost:

I like to group my deck by themed packages. Starting with the usual suspects:

Ramp: Card Draw: Removal: Kardur "blink": Gifts: Aristocrats: Core Gameplan

The idea of the Gift cards is to give the opponents creatures to bump into each other.

These Gifts are also very political, giving us laverage to make deals with weaker players and team up against stronger enemies. However these Gifts are what kills our opponents because of all the aristocrat cards that trigger when something dies on their side of the field. Notice that there is no effect that drain opponents only when something dies on our side of the field. We play too little creatures for this to be effective.

Infinite Global Goat

Copy effects could be used on Kardur to make ourself untouchable each turn. They can also be used to copy our aristocrat creatures for double the benefit. These effects stack up, often losing opponents tons of life combined with the commanders ability and opponents bash face each other.

Strategic Tips
  • Be mindful to not kill 1 or 2 opponents too fast, leaving us against a single opponent with a lot of resources. A single opponent can attack us with all the things that we gave them previously. Try to drain all opponents evenly and try to kill them all at once.
  • If you happen to be against a single opponent, they should be at minimum possible life or a single board wipe should take them out of resources.
  • Avoid playing in combo metas with this deck as it is not well equipped to stop two-card infinite combos. However if you manage to team up with other players and give them a lot of creatures fast, you should be able to take the combo player out of the game before they assemble their pieces. this will Teach them to play fair Commander! :)
  • Basically give your opponents the tools for destruction, press the Kardur button and watch them kill each other.
Last edited by Petar_Enev 3 months ago, edited 5 times in total.

Petar_Enev

Recently considering this card - Kothophed, Soul Hoarder

I think it's very on theme, since I'm giving opponents a lot of tokens. It triggers on other permanents as well such as fetch lands or things that people wants to sacrifice. My only concern is the lost of life since some opponents can try to kill you with it. However if you have something to compensate the life loss like Blood Artist, Dross Harvester, Sangromancer or The Meathook Massacre, it seems perfect.

It is straight upgrade from a card i played before - Harvester of Souls since it triggers only non-token creatures.

Chromaticus
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Chromaticus » 1 year ago

Kardur, Doomscourge is my favorite card to see out of my Kenrith, the Returned King deck - watching with interest.

Petar_Enev

Chromaticus wrote:
1 year ago
Kardur, Doomscourge is my favorite card to see out of my Kenrith, the Returned King deck - watching with interest.
So you know how it feels like to reanimate Kardur over and over again. Imagine that when it's your commander, sometimes for the opponents it's worse to kill it rather than leave it in play cause you can replay it and get the ETB. :)

Petar_Enev

Post by Petar_Enev » 4 months ago

Recently Added:

Nettling Nuisance - more creatures to give, more opponents to hurt.
Spiteful Banditry - another mass removal + added treasure bonus when opponents creature die. And they are going to have creatures cause we are giving them.
Ob Nixilis, Captive Kingpin - card draw + huge beater. Easy to trigger with Kardur.
Last edited by Petar_Enev 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

Petar_Enev

Post by Petar_Enev » 3 months ago

Recently added and removed few cards so the deck now has a fresh and more polished look.

Added:

Ardent Elementalist - With 20 targets in the deck, it's pretty useful. You can copy and reanimate as well.
Hunted Bonebrute - Another hunted creature, these are always useful with this strategy especially if they are giving 1/1s.
Massacre Girl, Known Killer - The ability to draw cards is what matters since the theme of the deck is "opponent's creature dying benefits us". Even if opponents are playing huge creatures, we have enough of our 1/1s to give them + wither helps in all kind of ways. Her stats are great as well.
Vein Ripper - Double the effect of Blood Artist + huge stats + ward. Yes, please!
Cauldron Dance - Great little trick with Kardur and an infinite uses with Ardent Elementalist. Works well with all other ETB creatures in the deck as well. Might be hit and miss but I like it more as a pet card.

Removed:

Blast-Furnace Hellkite - Effects are great but the steep mana cost and the not always possible Artefact offering made the cut.
Nasty End - Could be a dead card when we most need it.
Deadly Tempest - Good but can sometimes be impossible to cast if it hurt us too much.
Sword of the Animist - Good ramp but we're low on creatures so it's unreliable.
Blade of the Bloodchief - nice synergy with the deck idea but the outcome is just a big beater which is not our core plan.
Blade of Selves - nice blink type effect but the cost is too steep and can be easily interrupted.
Ob Nixilis, Captive Kingpin - Didn't test it enough. In theory should be great but there too many scenarios where it could just do nothing.
Orthion, Hero of Lavabrink - The effects are great but too slow and clunky.
Life of the Party - Fun card but sometimes has no impact.
Last edited by Petar_Enev 3 months ago, edited 2 times in total.

Petar_Enev

Post by Petar_Enev » 3 months ago

Kardur Gifts 2.0

Moxfield - https://www.moxfield.com/decks/dMWv2T6CZUWkEu02XZy0Jw

Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

Petar_Enev

Post by Petar_Enev » 2 months ago

I played few games where my final opponent killed the rest of the table while I was protected by Kardur. I would have win the game if I just had one more board wipe to remove his creatures.

This made me think of Gix's Command - a good modular removal with other synergies with the deck.
  • Returning 2 creatures from the grave is just fantastic with Ardent Elementalist, Kardur and all the other ETB effects

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”