NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

OK, I shall judge.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

Venedrex

Entries
Show
Hide
Ink-Treader wrote:
1 year ago
A brief refresher later...

Guosim Log-a-Log 1WW
Creature - Shrew Warrior (U)
First strike, vigilance
Other Shrews you control get +1/+1.
Whenever Guosim Log-a-Log and two or more other Shrews attack or block, prevent all damage that would be dealt to those creatures until end of turn.
2/2

You know I could swear the shrews had a battle tactic referred to as a 'pinwheel', but I can't find evidence of that.

Glorious Feast X{G/W}{G/W}{G/W}{G/W}
Sorcery (R)
Create X 1/1 green and white Citizen creature tokens, then for each creature you control create a Food token.
Redwall Abbey has many claims to fame, but their seasonal feasts may be the highest.

IIW: Replacing card draw

I like this a lot, this is what I had in mind, food and woodland creatures.
Juancu wrote:
1 year ago
Scrooge McDuck 2WB
Legendary Creature - Duck Magnate (M)
When Scrooge McDuck enters the battlefield, create twenty treasure tokens. You get an emblem with "Whenever you sacrifice a Treasure, you lose the game."
3/4

No iiw (I'm still sorry for my first post, haha. Going forward I'll be sure to reflect more before posting a quick hot take that's a downer.)
"They had us in the first half, not gonna lie." No need to feel sorry, you didn't do anything wrong. I like the idea of having a pile of money that you can never get rid of, very flavorful of course for scrooge. I do have a little bit of a concern about the sheer volume of artifacts/tokens this produces and things that care about artifacts or tokens in general though.
void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
Orlando the Axe 1RGW
Legendary Creature - Badger Warrior (M)
Trample
Controlled Bloodwrath - At the beginning of combat on your turn, if Orlando the Axe didn't enter the battlefield this turn, you may pay 4 life. If you do, put a +1/+1 counter on Orlando the Axe and prevent all combat damage that would be dealt to it this turn.
Eulalia! - Whenever Orlando the Axe attacks, creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn. Untap all Badgers and Rabbits you control and those creatures gain hexproof until end of turn.
3/3

IIW: Sheep

@Juancu It's important to critically examine what we consume! I don't think you said anything wrong, and nobody feels hurt, it seems. I have a lot of sentimental attachment to Redwall (and LotR) but their authors, while quite different people, both had a mindset that glorified idealized countrysides and wrote about fantastical past-like settings. It's easy for that kind of story to reproduce unhealthy and bigoted attitudes we have in the present, even unintentionally. And we have to be able to unpack that.
I like the use of flavor words a lot, and caring about Badgers and Rabbits, which of course represents the Long Patrol. Mechanics are fun too. I love bringing in a title as a flavor word!
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
1 year ago
All I really know of Redwall is the aesthetic.

Agoraphobic Mole 1G
Creature- Mole Citizen (C)
Agoraphobic Mole can't be blocked by creatures with flying.
1G: Agoraphobic Mole gains Hexproof until end of turn. Remove it from combat.
2/2

Order of the Sacred Paw W
Creature- Mouse Knight (U)
First strike, vigilance, lifelink
"Fear not, little vole!"
1/1

City of Critters
Land (R)
T: Add one mana of any color. You lose 2 life unless you control a creature of that color.

IIW: Rule of threes
1. Interesting, this is like a offensive version of reach. (offensive as in on the attack not that I'm offended by it lol) Mole is digging himself beneath through the battlefield. Repeatable hexproof is pretty strong, but this is mostly just a 2/2 so maybe it's fine.

2. This is like. Strong Rograkh, Son of Rohgahh vibes.

3. Hmm, this seems quite powerful. I think I can hear the Death Shadow players drooling from here, and something tells me this goes in decks even without a lot of creatures.

chetoos wrote:
1 year ago
Mufasa, great king of the pridelands 2RW
Legendary Creature - Cat Noble
When Mufasa enters the battlefield, you become the monarch
Other cats you control get +1/+1.
Sacrifice Mufasa: phase target creature you control out, return Mufasa to the battlefield transformed. When you do, Target opponent becomes the monarch
3/2
////
Mufasa, great king of the past (RW)
Legendary Enchantment
Creatures you control have dethrone.
As long as a creature you control is attacking the monarch, it has first strike.

I was considering other cards, but I just like how clean I made Mufasa, so I'm gonna leave it.
IIW: Testing
At the risk of being nitpicky, I believe there should be a "then" before the return Mufasa, but otherwise I like this design a lot. I took me a sec to get it, but I enjoy the flavor and concept for Mufasa. Good use of Legendary Enchantment, and transform.
spacemonaut wrote:
1 year ago
I can think of any specific animal stories to manage right now so here's just an animal guy.

Marco, Swift Duelist WW
Legendary Creature — Mouse Soldier
Double strike
Marco can't be blocked by more than one creature.
Marco has indestructible as long as it's your turn.
"En garde!"
1/1

IIW: Ravnica, long before Azor arrived
This is nice, efficient legend that likes equipment quite a bit.

All in all, I enjoyed everyone's entries quite a bit. I was hard pressed to pick a winner. Nevertheless, here we go.
Winner and next
Show
Hide
void_nothing for Orlando the Axe.

HM, Everyone, but specifically cheetos for Mufasa, which I think was very good and I could see it in Universes Beyond: The Lion King.

Next: Sheep
Last edited by Venedrex 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Thanks for the win! That second flavor word isn't referring to the book title, exactly, but the famous Salamandastron battle cry - I seem to remember that Orlando coined it or at least he was the first character known to use it.

Anyway, let's see some sheeps. I hope to judge tomorrow.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Venedrex

void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
Thanks for the win! That second flavor word isn't referring to the book title, exactly, but the famous Salamandastron battle cry - I seem to remember that Orlando coined it.

Anyway, let's see some sheeps. I hope to judge tomorrow.
For sure, I know it was meant to reference the battle cry, I just thought it was neat how it also is a title as well :)

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 1 year ago

Ovinomace 1U
Artifact – Equipment {R}
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to an opponent, draw a card.
Whenever equipped creature becomes blocked by a creature, until end of turn, that creature creature loses all abilities and has base power and toughness 0/1.
Equip 2

IIW: phyrexian equipment
MEG

Juancu

Post by Juancu » 1 year ago

Ovinumerate XUW
Instant (R)
Create X 1/1 white Sheep creature tokens.
If X is four or more, tap a creature an opponent controls and put two stun counters on it.

IIW: show some class

Mergatroid_Jones

Post by Mergatroid_Jones » 1 year ago

Fluffy Sheep G
Creature- Sheep (U)
Ward 1
1,T: Fluffy Sheep gets -0/-1 and loses ward 1. Create a colorless Artifact Equipment token named Wool. It has "Equip 1" and "Equipped creature gets +0/+1 and has Ward 1."
1/2

IIW: When I was a kid, I wanted Hand of Death to be part of a cycle of "_____ of Death". Make it so.
Last edited by Mergatroid_Jones 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Sheep not the most popular creature type
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Megiddo
MEG

they love goats over at WoTC. but sheep?
MEG

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Gatebreaker Ram should not be disrespected

Megiddo
MEG

imagining sheep people. do they shear themselves?
MEG

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Um, well

Some people cut their own hair I suppose

But the barber caste must be especially honored among the sheepfolk

Megiddo
MEG

Ovine Barber 1W
Creature — Sheep Citizen {U}
1W, T: Tap another target creature. If that creature was a Sheep, create a colorless Equipment artifact token named Fleece with "Equipped creature gets +1/+1" and equip 2.
2/2

IIW: other nonhuman Citizens
MEG

Venedrex

Sheep in Wolf's Clothing
Creature — Sheep (R)
As long as Sheep in Wolf's Clothing is a Wolf it has protection from Wolves
As long as Sheep in Wolf's Clothing is untapped it's a Wolf in addition to it's other types.
3/3

IIW: Wild West Set
Last edited by Venedrex 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

Megiddo
MEG

Duplicitous Trader 3UU
Creature — Human Rogue {R}
When Duplicitous Trader enters the battlefield, create four 0/1 white Sheep creature tokens.
T: Exchange control of target artifact or creature you don't control and a number of Sheep you control equal to that permanent's mana value. Activate only as a sorcery.
0/3

IIW: CCDD costs
MEG

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 1 year ago

Arcum's Wethervane 1U
Artifact (R)
2, T: Target non-Sheep creature becomes a Sheep in addition to its other types.
Sacrifice Arcum's Wethervane: Each Sheep creature has base power and toughness 1/1 and loses all abilities.

IIW: A pop quiz
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

Megiddo
MEG

Megiddo wrote:
1 year ago
Duplicitous Trader 3UU
When Duplicitous Trader enters the battlefield, create four 0/1 white Sheep creature tokens.
T: Exchange control of target artifact or creature you don't control and a number of Sheep you control equal to that permanent's mana value. Activate only as a sorcery.
0/3

set where you have sheep instead of eldrazi spawn where this is a sorcery like Confiscation Coup.
MEG

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 1 year ago

Some from the Goat/Sheep theme I placed in my Lord of the Rings cube:

Feast of the Small Folk 1W
Enchantment (C)
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control gain 1 life. If that creature was a Dwarf or Hobbit, gain 2 life instead.
Sacrifice a Goat or Sheep: Creatures you control get +2/+0 until end of turn. Sacrifice Feast at the end of turn.

Hobbit Herder G
Creature - Hobbit Serf (U)
Goat and Sheep creatures you control get +1/+1.
2W, T: Create a 0/1 white Goat creature token.
0/1

Ram Runners 1R
Creature - Dwarf Rider (R)
Haste
When Ram Runners dies, create a 2/2 green Sheep token.
2/2

IIW: Flanking is back
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Juancu

Wake Up, Sheeple! 4BB
Enchantment - Saga (R)
I, II, III: Reveal a conspiracy card you own from outside the game. Restart the game with that conspiracy on your command zone, except the game starts in the current game state.
IV: Create six 6/6 black Sheep Human Zombie creature tokens.

NinjaCaterpie

Post by NinjaCaterpie » 1 year ago

Lambs to the Slaughter 3BBR
Enchantment - Saga (M)
I: Create a 6/6 black Demon creature token with deathtouch and "This creature can't attack a player who controls a creature".
II - IV: Until the start of your next turn, target creature attacks each combat if able.

IIW: Grass or trees.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 year ago

Horrific Haggis
3{B}
Creature - Zombie Sheep Horror (C)
When Horrific Haggis dies, each player loses life equal to its toughness.
Persist
4/2
It heaved and spasmed as minced lungs futilely struggled to draw breath through oatmeal and innards.

IIW: Anything you want
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Judging.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Megiddo wrote:
1 year ago
Ovinomace 1U
Artifact – Equipment {R}
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to an opponent, draw a card.
Whenever equipped creature becomes blocked by a creature, until end of turn, that creature creature loses all abilities and has base power and toughness 0/1.
Equip 2

IIW: phyrexian equipment
Very nice. Blue sort of getting first strike + deathtouch is... eh... color pie-wise, but ultimately it can be defeated by one pump spell. Good throwback and while I wish both that card and this one turned the creature in question into a Sheep I understand why not, given the nature of colorshifts and all.
Juancu wrote:
1 year ago
Ovinumerate XUW
Instant (R)
Create X 1/1 white Sheep creature tokens.
If X is four or more, tap a creature an opponent controls and put two stun counters on it.

IIW: show some class
Counting sheep, very clever. 1/1 Sheep tokens feel a little off: Ovinomancer taught me they're 0/1 and green. Heck even Flock of Rabid Sheep has the excuse that they're rabid. Ultimately a serviceable card that's just two effects stapled together.
Mergatroid_Jones wrote:
1 year ago
Fluffy Sheep G
Creature- Sheep (U)
Ward 1
1,T: Fluffy Sheep gets -0/-1 and loses ward 1. Create a colorless Artifact Equipment token named Wool. It has "Equip 1" and "Equipped creature gets +0/+1 and has Ward 1."
1/2

IIW: When I was a kid, I wanted Hand of Death to be part of a cycle of "_____ of Death". Make it so.
Very clever, funny, and flavorful design and definitely meant for uncommon. Assuming that's missing an "until end of turn" at the end of that first sentence in the activated ability? Overall, a bit... niche in its appeal.
Megiddo wrote:
1 year ago
Ovine Barber 1W
Creature — Sheep Citizen {U}
1W, T: Tap another target creature. If that creature was a Sheep, create a colorless Equipment artifact token named Fleece with "Equipped creature gets +1/+1" and equip 2.
2/2

IIW: other nonhuman Citizens
Same concept as before, but make it leonin loxodon ainok rhox whatever tribe of furries we want to give white in this set. I think this might be the better-executed version in some ways.
Venedrex wrote:
1 year ago
Sheep in Wolf's Clothing
Creature — Sheep (R)
As long as Sheep in Wolf's Clothing is a Wolf it has protection from Wolves
As long as Sheep in Wolf's Clothing is untapped it's a Wolf in addition to it's other types.
3/3

IIW: Wild West Set
Ehh. I get that this is trinket text, but it's not very compelling trinket text and an otherwise vanilla 3/3 for three is not compelling either. Especially not at rare. This would have been funnier if it cost 1 less a la Watchwolf.
Megiddo wrote:
1 year ago
Duplicitous Trader 3UU
0/3

Lord that's clever. Probably jank. But clever. And yes I'd love to see a set ripping off German boardgames where Sheep were an important resource.
Cythare wrote:
1 year ago
Arcum's Wethervane 1U
Artifact (R)
2, T: Target non-Sheep creature becomes a Sheep in addition to its other types.
Sacrifice Arcum's Wethervane: Each Sheep creature has base power and toughness 1/1 and loses all abilities.

IIW: A pop quiz
A name that's a blatant pun like this should probably be an Un-card. This also doesn't have that much to do with Arcum's Weathervane? Much is throwing me about this card, and not just the memory issues. Doesn't anybody use counters anymore?
Ulka wrote:
1 year ago
Some from the Goat/Sheep theme I placed in my Lord of the Rings cube:

Feast of the Small Folk 1W
Enchantment (C)
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under your control gain 1 life. If that creature was a Dwarf or Hobbit, gain 2 life instead.
Sacrifice a Goat or Sheep: Creatures you control get +2/+0 until end of turn. Sacrifice Feast at the end of turn.

Hobbit Herder G
Creature - Hobbit Serf (U)
Goat and Sheep creatures you control get +1/+1.
2W, T: Create a 0/1 white Goat creature token.
0/1

Ram Runners 1R
Creature - Dwarf Rider (R)
Haste
When Ram Runners dies, create a 2/2 green Sheep token.
2/2

IIW: Flanking is back
You know, I'm not really getting much Lord of the Rings flavor from these? Feast of the Small Folk looks like it'd have a really strange play pattern, particularly for the flavor involved - specifically with the activated ability. Hobbit Herder actually looks fun and reasonable, but... hobbits don't really seem like they do serfdom? Ram Runners is especially bizarre flavorwise in LotR - sheep-riding dwarves? - and I think I'd rather have Strangleroot Geist.
Juancu wrote:
1 year ago
Wake Up, Sheeple! 4BB
Enchantment - Saga (R)
I, II, III: Reveal a conspiracy card you own from outside the game. Restart the game with that conspiracy on your command zone, except the game starts in the current game state.
IV: Create six 6/6 black Sheep Human Zombie creature tokens.
Oh that's obnoxious. Joke or not. Even discounting the 36 power in chapter IV.
NinjaCaterpie wrote:
1 year ago
Lambs to the Slaughter 3BBR
Enchantment - Saga (M)
I: Create a 6/6 black Demon creature token with deathtouch and "This creature can't attack a player who controls a creature".
II - IV: Until the start of your next turn, target creature attacks each combat if able.

IIW: Grass or trees.
I'm having a hard time picturing where this specific event took place? Maybe Kaldheim, specifically Immersturm? I'm not getting enough flavor or context, really, which is what I want from a Saga, and also this is very much skirting the challenge by using a sheep-themed name.
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
1 year ago
Horrific Haggis
3{B}
Creature - Zombie Sheep Horror (C)
When Horrific Haggis dies, each player loses life equal to its toughness.
Persist
4/2
It heaved and spasmed as minced lungs futilely struggled to draw breath through oatmeal and innards.

IIW: Anything you want
Eugh. That's just unpleasant.

HM: Meg for Ovine Barber and Ovinomace
Winner: @Megiddo for Duplicitous Trader
Next: CCDD costs (or MMNN, eugh)

Megiddo
MEG

Good point on MMNN vs CCDD. I did in fact mean MMNN.

However... C = C but I think D is undefined? Maybe one of you will try to define it.
MEG

Juancu

Congrats on 1000 posts!
I was just about to define D = diamond

Thing CC💎💎
(💎 can be paid with one mana from an artifact source.) Maybe add creature (so it's like mining.)

(💎 can be paid with one mana from a basic source.) Great in limited, awful in constructed. Well, like most other stuff.
(💎 can be paid with one mana from a nonbasic source.) This should balance limited and constructed. But not like we want to make basic worse.

(💎 can be paid with 2 or by tapping a creature you control with power 2 or more.) Another take on 'mining.' I didn't want to make it just convoke, so crew 2.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”