Is a vehicle deck viable?

Hermes_
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

I'm looking at the possibility of putting together a vehicle-themed deck, I know that if it's winnable is down to my own meta. But I'm wondering if at this point it's if it's viable. Could I even use the Buckle Up pre-con ( Kotori, Pilot Prodigy ) as a starting point and just upgrade it?
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

As a point of reference, I'll call out the fact that Shorikai, Genesis Engine was banned in Duel Commander... so yes, it's definitely viable, at least for some metas and some definition of 'vehicle deck'. More broadly, I don't see why a vehicle deck wouldn't be viable. You do have the traditional aggro problem of 'it's hard to burn through 120 life points', but Shorikai gives you a lot of lategame gas. Vehicles are also generally resilient to board wipes, which is nice (although you will need to play new creatures to crew them). I don't know that I would take it to a high-power table, but it seems like a reasonable choice at a low / medium power level.

I think my default plan for a vehicle deck would probably be Shorikai in the command zone surrounded by an Azorius control shell (somewhat heavy on board wipes), and a few vehicles / synergy pieces as win conditions (like Peacewalker Colossus and Mobilizer Mech). Maybe also stuff like Rise and Shine and a general artifact theme? (or just Smothering Tithe and a bunch of mana rocks)

kraus911

Post by kraus911 » 1 year ago

I had fun with my Greasefang, Okiba Boss deck. Orzhov control that doesn't so much flood the board with vehicles but aristocrat away other people's creatures and swing with a vehicle or two.

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 1 year ago

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
I'm looking at the possibility of putting together a vehicle-themed deck, I know that if it's winnable is down to my own meta. But I'm wondering if at this point it's if it's viable. Could I even use the Buckle Up pre-con ( Kotori, Pilot Prodigy ) as a starting point and just upgrade it?
I have fun with my Sydri, Galvanic Genius Vehicle deck; and I would expect that multiple vehicle themed decks are viable in almost any color combination. Unless, of course, by "viable" you mean "competitive" . . . WHile I'd imagine it's possible, I don;t know of any cEDH level vehicle decks (except maybe the above-referenced French Banned general)

Example:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
WUB Sydri Vehicles_sm.jpg
Of course, having an alternate animation method doesn't hurt. . .
V/R

Treamayne

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 1 year ago

As a man of culture, I have a Cosima, God of the Voyage // The Omenkeel vehicle deck, which is well below $100 and doing just fine. You can find it here.
Some cute artifact interactions, some mono blue control genes and off we go.
Sure, nothing for a high powered pod, but certainly something to smash faces and a fairly rare sight.

As with most other decks, i think you can always make it "work", as long as you can handle expectations and have a meta that does play fitting pods every now and then.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 1 year ago

I played several vehicles in a Winota, Joiner of Forces deck because they were non humans that lived through a number of creature based sweepers but I wouldn't say I was a vehicle deck per say. I also saw someone in a previous meta play Emmara, Soul of the Accord as a vehicle concept to get access to tapping her at any time.

I think that there are playable vehicles for the format. I think that if you want to push hard to run a large number of vehicles rather than running a few that are good when the time comes up you are going to be disappointed at the low quality of vehicles as a whole. I think some of the vehicle commanders like Shorikai, Genesis Engine are fine I just think that if your goal is to put 10+ vehicles into a deck you are going to be disappointed at some of the lower quality ones. I think essentially anything is doable in commander its just the question of how low powered you get to with anything too fringe. You probably won't ever bee too disappointed in Smuggler's Copter but if you are going for a large quantity of vehicles you are going to scrap the bottom of the barrel fairly fast.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!

Post by JovialJovian » 1 year ago

Is Greasefang, Okiba Boss too obvious?
I find her to be very effective, if a bit linear to play.

Jemolk
Compulsive Jank Builder

Post by Jemolk » 1 year ago

I've had a Depala, Pilot Exemplar Dwarf/Vehicle deck since Kaladesh, and it's pretty capable. Not talking anything particularly high on the competitiveness scale, more a battlecruiser meta, but still. I go harder on the dwarf synergies than on vehicle ones, but I'm pretty confident it could work in the other direction too.
39 Commander decks and counting. I'm sure this is fine, and not at all a problem.

wildfire393
Answers: 1

Post by wildfire393 » 1 year ago

So the "problem" with the Vehicles deck, specifically Kotori, is that there's not a ton of payoff at the moment. Like sure, you can use Kotori to pilot some big vehicle, but after Parhelion II and maybe Colossal Plow, the payoff for crewing a vehicle with a crew cost of >3 is mostly just... a big dumb beater. You're not going to get a ton of mileage out of Consulate Dreadnought or Demolition Stomper or Aradara Express just turning sideways slight more efficiently, nor Shorikai, Genesis Engine in attack mode.

There's a decent few utility vehicles that'll do stuff like draw cards, and there's a few payoff cards like Sram, Senior Edificer and Surgehacker Mech, but for the most part if you're putting 5 vehicles onto the board it's going to be a bunch of conditional, slightly-undercosted fatties, and that's really not where you want to be in Commander.

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 1 year ago

wildfire393 wrote:
1 year ago
So the "problem" with the Vehicles deck, specifically Kotori, is that there's not a ton of payoff at the moment. Like sure, you can use Kotori to pilot some big vehicle, but after Parhelion II and maybe Colossal Plow, the payoff for crewing a vehicle with a crew cost of >3 is mostly just... a big dumb beater. You're not going to get a ton of mileage out of Consulate Dreadnought or Demolition Stomper or Aradara Express just turning sideways slight more efficiently, nor Shorikai, Genesis Engine in attack mode.

There's a decent few utility vehicles that'll do stuff like draw cards, and there's a few payoff cards like Sram, Senior Edificer and Surgehacker Mech, but for the most part if you're putting 5 vehicles onto the board it's going to be a bunch of conditional, slightly-undercosted fatties, and that's really not where you want to be in Commander.
While it depends on the deck and what you want to play (and your group play against), in my experience the "Payoff" of vehicles is their "only creatures sometimes" nature. Like more control? Pre-combat sweepers, Noetic Scales type effects, maybe even something stax-ish like The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale. Like combat tricks? Cranial Plating and other "equals number of creatures" effects to throw combat math into the woodchipper or make Rube Goldberg-esque chains of crew/animation to get the right attacker/blocker for the situation. Like niche applications? Find something to do that most opponents won't expect; like Cipher Stolen Identity onto a vehicle so the Cipher spell avoids most creature wipes.

Granted, none of these are Sylvan Library/Abundance level value engines, but there is a payoff available if that is the kind of deck you want and the kind of deck your group finds interesting.
V/R

Treamayne

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

I like my Sydri vehicle deck. I think I copied someone's list from Sally and made some tweaks. The whole idea is to animate things like Winter Orb and use them to crew your vehicles just before you untap.
It plays like a weird stax deck, gets a bit grindy sometimes, but when it works you can end the game quick.

I enjoy it, but it is rough when someone disrupts your plan because you just end up playing a bad stax deck or a bad vehicle deck.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

wildfire393
Answers: 1

Post by wildfire393 » 1 year ago

Treamayne wrote:
1 year ago
wildfire393 wrote:
1 year ago

While it depends on the deck and what you want to play (and your group play against), in my experience the "Payoff" of vehicles is their "only creatures sometimes" nature. Like more control? Pre-combat sweepers, Noetic Scales type effects, maybe even something stax-ish like The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale. Like combat tricks? Cranial Plating and other "equals number of creatures" effects to throw combat math into the woodchipper or make Rube Goldberg-esque chains of crew/animation to get the right attacker/blocker for the situation. Like niche applications? Find something to do that most opponents won't expect; like Cipher Stolen Identity onto a vehicle so the Cipher spell avoids most creature wipes.

Granted, none of these are Sylvan Library/Abundance level value engines, but there is a payoff available if that is the kind of deck you want and the kind of deck your group finds interesting.
This was mostly in reference to Kotori, since he's the one that rewards you for playing high-crew Vehicles by making them easy to crew.

Shorikai is another thing altogether. Being a non-creature is, as you said, huge, as you can play all kinds of stuff to just completely neuter all opposing creatures while you have access to an 8/8 when it comes time to swing. But that isn't so much what I'd call a vehicles deck and rather more of a stax-leaning deck, which is why I never ended up making it.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

I think i'll just put this idea on the back burner for now
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”