Upkeep Triggers

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 1 year ago

So, I am looking at Phyrexian Soulgorger and Drifter il-Dal from a donated standpoint with Jon Irenicus, Shattered One. It looks like the sacrificing them option is out the window due to Jon's effect but can opponents choose to do nothing with those cards and just blank the upkeep triggers as a whole choosing the sac option but failing to do so or how does this work?

Sorry I keep asking questions on this commander, I keep failing to get my head around all the angles.

Accepted Answer

by WizardMN » 1 year ago
They are not forced to pay either cost. If they choose not to, they will be instructed to sac the creatures which they cannot do. Ultimately, they will choose not to sac anything and will get to keep the creatures. So they are not the best things to be donating.

The rule in question for the Il-Dal situation anyway:

118.12a. Some spells, activated abilities, and triggered abilities read, "[Do something] unless [a player does something else]." This means the same thing as "[A player may do something else]. If [that player doesn't], [do something]."
Go to full post
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

WizardMN
Answers: 128

Post by WizardMN » 1 year ago

They are not forced to pay either cost. If they choose not to, they will be instructed to sac the creatures which they cannot do. Ultimately, they will choose not to sac anything and will get to keep the creatures. So they are not the best things to be donating.

The rule in question for the Il-Dal situation anyway:

118.12a. Some spells, activated abilities, and triggered abilities read, "[Do something] unless [a player does something else]." This means the same thing as "[A player may do something else]. If [that player doesn't], [do something]."
Last edited by WizardMN 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

If a Phyrexian Soulgorger, for example, is under Jon's effect, then its controller can freely not pay the cumulative upkeep cost. Nothing will happen as the CU triggered ability resolves, because it's not a choice of whether or not to sacrifice the permanent, it's a choice of whether or not to pay the cost - sacrificing is simply an effect and is being prevented by the Irenicus-granted static ability and, ultimately, by CR 101.2.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rulings”