- Pronoun: he / him
- Posts: 1723
- Joined: 3 years ago
Post
by Moxnix
1 year ago
Deck changes so much in first few days first thoughts are not even relevant but I'm having fun and it keeps getting better.
1 Glarb, Calamity's Augur
1 Ancient Tomb
1 Bayou
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Boseiju, Who Endures
1 Breeding Pool
1 Cavern of Souls
1 City of Brass
1 Command Tower
1 Flooded Strand
1 Gaea's Cradle
1 Gemstone Caverns
1 Hedge Maze
1 Mana Confluence
1 Marsh Flats
1 Misty Rainforest
1 Otawara, Soaring City
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Polluted Delta
1 Rejuvenating Springs
1 Scalding Tarn
1 Tropical Island
1 Undercity Sewers
1 Underground Sea
1 Verdant Catacombs
1 Watery Grave
1 Windswept Heath
1 Wooded Foothills
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth
1 Imperial Seal
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Transmute Artifact
1 Doomsday
1 Beseech the Mirror
1 Culling Ritual
1 Bring to Light
1 Pact of Negation
1 An Offer You Can't Refuse
1 Brainstorm
1 Culling the Weak
1 Dark Ritual
1 Demonic Consultation
1 Flusterstorm
1 Into the Flood Maw
1 Mental Misstep
1 Mystical Tutor
1 Noxious Revival
1 Vampiric Tutor
1 Veil of Summer
1 Worldly Tutor
1 Abrupt Decay
1 Mana Drain
1 Snap
1 Tainted Pact
1 Fierce Guardianship
1 Force of Negation
1 Baleful Mastery
1 Deadly Rollick
1 Foil
1 Gifts Ungiven
1 Mindbreak Trap
1 Ad Nauseam
1 Force of Will
1 Gush
1 Dig Through Time
1 Chrome Mox
1 Lotus Petal
1 Mox Amber
1 Mox Diamond
1 Mana Vault
1 Sensei's Divining Top
1 Sol Ring
1 Arcane Signet
1 Grim Monolith
1 Talisman of Dominance
1 Aetherflux Reservoir
1 The One Ring
1 Bolas's Citadel
1 Birds of Paradise
1 Deathrite Shaman
1 Delighted Halfling
1 Elves of Deep Shadow
1 Llanowar elves
1 Bloom tender
1 Faerie Mastermind
1 Lotus Cobra
1 Orcish Bowmasters
1 Thassa's Oracle
1 Dryad of the Ilysian Grove
1 Clever Impersonator
1 High Fae Trickster
1 Seedborn Muse
1 Consecrated Sphinx
1 Exploration
1 Mystic Remora
1 Counterbalance
1 Sylvan Library
1 Necropotence
1 Rhystic Study
//Sideboard
Day one play test lots of edits lots of thoracal and bolas wins can tell lots of room to improve still but feels good
I keep massively editing the deck I haven't done cedh mtgo grinding in awhile but I'm loving it I've already swapped like 10 more cards this commander is stupidly good and fun im finding so many tech cards
Last edited by Moxnix 5 months ago, edited 28 times in total.
- Pronoun: he / him
- Posts: 1723
- Joined: 3 years ago
Post
by Moxnix
1 year ago
Ok So some thoughts now that I've played it a few days Super fun to play lots of lines a little slower than storm but with some more grind to it.
Lines of note
+dramtic reversal + kitsa otterball dude infite mana + frog surveil
Valley flood caller + banishing knack Works like HBH combo and untaps frog along the way and can also be used with necro to draw 30 like you would in storm then often your win is only tutor into knack it may be worth running both that and retraction helix for better ad Naus but I haven't whiffed on this line yet when I've went for it
bolas + top + reservoir Also transmute almost always goes for bolas sometimes it cant and it gets ring but I haven't lost with bolas out yet
Cards like misdirection force of will force of vigor baleful mastery gush mind break dig through time etc all being playable off the top is very valuable but you only need so much permanent control other options are submerge and snuff out but I like mine and don't feel I more right now.
X spells are castable off frog with value 4 or more so Devastation for OBM at 4 totally castable
Doomsday notes cavern of souls can be put in the pile. Shifting woodland can dodge counters gush can be xast off the top you can survial thass into the gy and cast no one left behind off the top if you have no gush islands. You can gush islands back to your hand to pay for the alt cost of foil still in your doomsday pile. Beseech the mirror can be used to cast doomsday off the top of your deck.
In some games avoiding combo lines and playing for card sphinx or necro for control or riding rhystic remora one ring and playing for seedborn muse can be just as and in some cases more effective in going for a win.
This deck falls somewhere between blue farm and rogsi its faster with more lines than blue farm and slower than rogsi but its got so much value off the top with the frog and im having a blast piloting it
End of the day its still a deck that wants to do thassa 2 consolation 1 but it does it with lots of control and many paths to victory.
Dryad not only makes all lands gush you can dump with with frog gush and dodge stackn with shifting woodlands
This deck can play hermit druid + memories journey if you want to add another win line I choose not too some people do hulk stuff too but not what im doing here
This deck is THEY doomsday deck to play if you want to play doomsday now though the frogs just so damn good with it.
- Pronoun: he / him
- Posts: 1723
- Joined: 3 years ago
Post
by Moxnix
1 year ago
- HBH never used it
- reanimtate not enough to care and have no one left t behind for piles
+ Takenuma, Abandoned Mire - wanted on more black source the upside here is real with frog semi replaces reanimate with better frog synergy
+ Archmage Emeritus TEsting noone uses this but its 4 we want to cast free instants off the top it seems good.
Archmage popped off on first draw felt incredibly good here not sure why its not used
edit 1 wanted just one more protection spell cut one of the mana dorks for it.
- fydohorn elves
+ veil of summer
- Pronoun: he / him
- Posts: 1723
- Joined: 3 years ago
Post
by Moxnix
1 year ago
Im ripping people with thsi deck casting doomsday for free with no pile opener via beseech off the top with like multilayer protections is the most absurd thig ever doomsday feels so good here. Yawgwin not impressing me in this not sure what other 3 drop I want maybe the 2cc PW that guys active as if tap and brings back 2 cc guys though honestly its tempting to jsut run the 2 more mana dorks as the mana dork hands with easy t2 frog are so good.
for now - yawgin
+ fyndhorn elves mana dork back in for slightly higher t2 glarbs
- Pronoun: he / him
- Posts: 1723
- Joined: 3 years ago
Post
by Moxnix
1 year ago
Dork feels fine might make minor changes but the decks butter now 5-0 on the day 4 in cedh tagged games 1 in high power. the high power aesi had like 20 mana turn 4 and got real aslty when i killed him with DD on my t4. The cedh have been amzing you dont need to go fast ill take lands counters vs rogsi and kind of spoil them and still ready to go off turn 5-6 ht elast gamer was me bonder eatlai rogsi he goes for a turn 1 wheel with a million mana i kept a 3 lands force od negationhand just for this. Pop it pop his time twister next and t5 he had done t4 necor so gas gas gas hes hitting cards he draws 10. bonder gassed tons of mana etali cast i dont inteact he gets mad the stack is decent so i dig through time to exile my stuff form the stoled mnemonic betrayl im riding casrd sphix hard. I foce of vgior necor and his chrome mox and he get sos mad but its like dude you can win they cant XD veil f summe ron my turn to transmute bolas with my own necor gg. the other 4 kills were all doomsday. The play pattern for it is perfect as you girnd with frog everyone kind of gasses out then you out of nowhere win even on low resources cards and mana. Super fun deck
- Pronoun: he / him
- Posts: 1723
- Joined: 3 years ago
Post
by Moxnix
1 year ago
- rift + worldly tutor
- Pronoun: he / him
- Posts: 1723
- Joined: 3 years ago
Post
by Moxnix
1 year ago
Dokr back out ertai in for emeritus offer you cant refuse in
edit
Ertai out takenuma out
Urborg and yavimaya back in
- fydhorn elves
+sylvan library
- dramtic reversal
+ mental misstep needed
Even better opening hand card
- Pronoun: he / him
- Posts: 1723
- Joined: 3 years ago
Post
by Moxnix
1 year ago
- no one left behind I rarely needed it for my piles and it was the worst draw in the deck
+ bloom tender i want the blue and black mana great with frog people tell me I need fluster in here but i haven't felt the need yet maybe when i find another slot i don't like ill add that next.
Nexus Moderator
- Pronoun: he / him
- Posts: 1250
- Joined: 7 years ago
Post
by benjameenbear
1 year ago
What is
Kitsa, Otterball Elite doing for you? I guess a flash looter isn't terrible... but I don't see a ton of utility or
Dramatic Reversal to really justify its inclusion.
Curator of the MTGNexus cEDH Forums
Expand Signature
- Pronoun: he / him
- Posts: 1723
- Joined: 3 years ago
Post
by Moxnix
1 year ago
So I tested lots of looters vohar etc initially I had reanimate and planned to dump things to rez as I tested I found even when I did have these lines they didn't happen all that often. I tested lots of cards at 2 seedborn cards like Tharsis and bonder etc and most of them felt weak. The dramatic combo I never got off in fact I almost never activate his second ability at all so why didn't I cut him? For one just having a looter is fantastic his 1u cost matters you felt vohars UB for example. While I was not enjoying trying to rez looting was in fact good in the deck just on its own. Why? Well the actual most powerful ability on the frog imo is always seeing my top card. Mid game your using top of deck tutors in conjunction with surveils for control plays IE putting mindbreak trap or force on top etc. Often when your doing this you often either A don't want to lose what's on top IE I see demonic tutor I have vampiric and I feel a must tutor for a force of will or whatever but don't want to lose my win line. If I don't want to lose that card I can loot it to my hand with kitsa well what if I already have a fierce guardianship on top now i don't have to waste my tutor on control I loot it into my hand and counter I can surveil first to dig for now almost any answer and can use it in response. So why its kitsa best if not dramatic combo? VFC this card alone with frog and VFC provides so much value and card dig /quality it feels almost like a game ending engine on its own without even netting cards outside abusing the free ones off frog. So mostly looting is good with frog and he's the best looter here and he has tested well despite almost never using ability number 2.
- Pronoun: he / him
- Posts: 1723
- Joined: 3 years ago
Post
by Moxnix
1 year ago
- Finale of devastation
+ bring to light
I never find myself using finale as its intended for thassa and it never feels powerful when I get it just ok. I'm still not using fluster despite a ton of very good player saying I should and its top 20 status and 90% use rate makes me think maybe I should consider it over misdirection but that feels good here with frog so I don't think it really matters so much . Im winning a very large chunk of my games with beseech the mirror into doomsday this is pretty much a second way I can do that.
- Pronoun: he / him
- Posts: 1723
- Joined: 3 years ago
Post
by Moxnix
1 year ago
Testing hermit druid the idea is simple its pact number 3 so thassa then tap druid gg begin the line not sure if ill use one of my 2cc guys slots or the 29ths land Also would like to test treasure cruise as digs been good with my frog non mull to draw engine play patterns. Maybe cut a land and kitsa or dauthi and test cruise + hermit druid possibly even a 3rd cut for memories journey just too get a full idea of what hermit can do for me.
- Pronoun: he / him
- Posts: 1723
- Joined: 3 years ago
Post
by Moxnix
1 year ago
- kitsa
- dauthi
- misdirection
+ ad nuas
+ noxious
+ flusterstorm
Finally added flsuterstorm its been better than misdirection
added noxious as its really good with glarb and having dropped yawgwin I wanted something to pick my cards up this seemed like the best option its been the best of the 3 adds for sure better than alot of the cards im already on
Hermit druid did what it should but people know what that is and it was aggressivity removed form the field so it gets cut.
Ad nuas us the spicy include as I have tons of glarb cards making my curve not so low in CMC. Despite that the fact glarb lets me see each card as i draw makes it significantly less dangerous to use if I get low and see a card like dig I can stop before eating it. Its tested better than treasure cruise which by the way tested ok but it wasn't as strong as dig and didn't always get me over the hump. Ad nuas as so far tested better than any of these cards having synergy with glarb muse and generally just my play pattern. Its the kind of card that lets me take t2 glarb 7s without draw engines and has generally been amazing so far. Its not my main plan and often its just sued as a refill not a draw 20 or anything and while I have lots of 4 drops here i also have about 50 0-1 drops with the lands so its really not so bad.
- Pronoun: he / him
- Posts: 1723
- Joined: 3 years ago
Post
by Moxnix
1 year ago
Small change
- llaowar Elves
+ molt tender
was playing this in other decks tested better than I thought and I tried it here and its slightly better.
- Pronoun: he / him
- Posts: 1723
- Joined: 3 years ago
Post
by Moxnix
1 year ago
Another small change
+ abrupt decay
- Talion
Talion was the least consistent draw engine not good drawn late and randomly awkward with doomsday. Decay hits relevant targets every game and gets around counterbalance and free counters protecting rhystic study and can remove most stax pieces that prevent me from trying to go off. List feels very tight now Im happy with it may take it to something if they have one in my area soon.
I plan on playing the uncounterable mistrise land in the green blue battlebond slot so I give up one t1 dork land via green source for the nice effect.
- Pronoun: he / him
- Posts: 1723
- Joined: 3 years ago
Post
by Moxnix
1 year ago
Banlist update not sure on cut but i haven't felt I needed force of vigor often so
- Force of vigor
+ gifts ungiven
- Pronoun: he / him
- Posts: 1723
- Joined: 3 years ago
Post
by Moxnix
1 year ago
- banishing knack
- Valley Floodcaller
+ llaowar Elves
+ Mistrise village
cut a combo I almost never used for 2 more mana sources deck feels great mistrise I have not needed to use much yet so on my watchlist but so far so good. Kind of boring changes but i will say gifts has been great so far its kind of like dig or and nuas just an instant speed glarb castable CA type deal.
- Pronoun: he / him
- Posts: 1723
- Joined: 3 years ago
Post
by Moxnix
5 months ago
I did get a chance to play this in paper recently and smoked the table winning 3 out of 4 games i updated the OP but the only changes ive made were adding lotus cobra and clever impersonator and cutting molt tender and mistrise. Mistrise i never seemed to have the mana for and molt tender wasn't always what i needed t1 when any mana elf was more consistent and while i could run anotehr one lotus cobra is just too good not to run making both black and blue and its been as good as it is anywhere so far. Clever was the best card i wasn't running from testing it makes the main deck i still win with this more than any other cedh pile the guys i played are not as good as the guys who grind on mtgo but sadly no real need to update this plays like a dream.
- molt tender
- mistrise village
+ lotus cobra
+ clever impersonator
Nexus Moderator
- Pronoun: he / him
- Posts: 1250
- Joined: 7 years ago
Post
by benjameenbear
5 months ago
Moxnix wrote: ↑5 months ago
I did get a chance to play this in paper recently and smoked the table winning 3 out of 4 games i updated the OP but the only changes ive made were adding lotus cobra and clever impersonator and cutting molt tender and mistrise. Mistrise i never seemed to have the mana for and molt tender wasn't always what i needed t1 when any mana elf was more consistent and while i could run anotehr one lotus cobra is just too good not to run making both black and blue and its been as good as it is anywhere so far. Clever was the best card i wasn't running from testing it makes the main deck i still win with this more than any other cedh pile the guys i played are not as good as the guys who grind on mtgo but sadly no real need to update this plays like a dream.
- molt tender
- mistrise village
+ lotus cobra
+ clever impersonator
Whew. It's been an embarrassingly long time since I've posted here. Turns out discovering my soon-to-be ex-wife having an affair and fighting for custody really sucks and takes a lot of time away.
I've been getting up to speed with the cEDH scene again, and it seems like we're back to a Clone meta where the new clone targets are the Mystics and Rhystics. The Rograkh/Ishai lists are kinda funny to me in that they just play a ton of card advantage engines and cheap interaction and then just wait for their window to push. Are you seeing the same thing in your games?
Curator of the MTGNexus cEDH Forums
Expand Signature
- Pronoun: he / him
- Posts: 1723
- Joined: 3 years ago
Post
by Moxnix
5 months ago
I mean mtgo meta to me has never matched exactly what i see described for Tedh and honestly a lot of the same good players host bracket 5 games at the times i play so i end up vs the same grinder on rog thras all the time and he knows how i play now. Yea i will say blue farm is and has been the most popular mtgo deck for a long time and this deck loves them at the table but in short yes the card i copy most often with that new CC is in fact rhystic study as the meta is everyone mulls to t2 draw engines ideally rhystic then cards like CC dodge the cheap counters and get you your own XD. I mean every deck in the meta for awhile now understands that you dont start with enough cards in hand to just blast a win into free interaction so the ideal world is one where your turn 1 is ramp turn 2 is engine and by t3 you expect to have already chased in cards and be ready to pounce one way or the other. I generally love glarb becuase i dont have to mull myself to death like otehr looking for the engine every dork hand has glarb as backup engine and one that instantly turns on not jsut free counters but CA my DD lines via gush etc. So I still play to setup t1-3 and figure it out for there but more and more often the best line is copy a rhystic and sit a turn instead of jamming. For me personally this deck thrives in that meta its way worse when its 2-3 turbo decks going fast and I'm expected to be blue farm. I much prefer someone else plays savior when at most 1 guy jams hyper fast turbo and a lazily protected DD win behind the turbo guy being answered gg.
Nexus Moderator
- Pronoun: he / him
- Posts: 1250
- Joined: 7 years ago
Post
by benjameenbear
5 months ago
Moxnix wrote: ↑5 months ago
I mean mtgo meta to me has never matched exactly what i see described for Tedh and honestly a lot of the same good players host bracket 5 games at the times i play so i end up vs the same grinder on rog thras all the time and he knows how i play now. Yea i will say blue farm is and has been the most popular mtgo deck for a long time and this deck loves them at the table but in short yes the card i copy most often with that new CC is in fact rhystic study as the meta is everyone mulls to t2 draw engines ideally rhystic then cards like CC dodge the cheap counters and get you your own XD. I mean every deck in the meta for awhile now understands that you dont start with enough cards in hand to just blast a win into free interaction so the ideal world is one where your turn 1 is ramp turn 2 is engine and by t3 you expect to have already chased in cards and be ready to pounce one way or the other. I generally love glarb becuase i dont have to mull myself to death like otehr looking for the engine every dork hand has glarb as backup engine and one that instantly turns on not jsut free counters but CA my DD lines via gush etc. So I still play to setup t1-3 and figure it out for there but more and more often the best line is copy a rhystic and sit a turn instead of jamming. For me personally this deck thrives in that meta its way worse when its 2-3 turbo decks going fast and I'm expected to be blue farm. I much prefer someone else plays savior when at most 1 guy jams hyper fast turbo and a lazily protected DD win behind the turbo guy being answered gg.
Yeah, that's been my observation from playing cEDH for the past couple of weeks now. It's a Mystic/Rhystic metagame and cloning the hell out of them. The Rog/Ishai lists that are performing well are so interesting to me. I built Blue Farm and a Cradle deck, and it seems like jamming or cloning these card draw engines is the more effective strategy. I'm thinking of making my own version of Blue Farm that's more control-heavy and attacks the card advantage better. Might be time for
Notion Thief to return.
What is CC? Lost the reference there. Unless you're referencing Clever Impersonator?
Curator of the MTGNexus cEDH Forums
Expand Signature
- Pronoun: he / him
- Posts: 1723
- Joined: 3 years ago
Post
by Moxnix
5 months ago
Yea clever impersonator like i said the play pattern is pretty standard be the guy with the first best draw engine have the best chances of winning. Since someone almost always mulls or tutors for a study the copy spells are excellent mirror made is one I see all the time. I not just clone them more than others I will aggressively remove them as well as see them as threatening as a kill on the stack. Farm rides them longer gets to play more high quality ones total CZ is strong second as well. I like this because I can pivot from that early game mull to your mana + draw engine to I win gg in the midgame much more consistently than that kind of deck which instead is fine with sitting on the engines like farm longer and winning in no hurry. The reason is simple once glarb is in play every tutor in the deck is like a win at a low mana cost via top of deck beseech / bring to light into dd into gush or transmute into bolas whatever like you hit your first tutor and its not can you win its is the game state such that attempting makes sense / is my best line. So your ready to go turn 3-5ish always and while you lose the speed of a rogsi in a world where once your known for speed the blue farms mull to t0 interaction likes its a 1:1 vintage match I'll let them such a force and cast veil of summer for my t4 doomsday kill and figure my odds are better than theirs are. However once anyone is riding the sweet study express my evaluation of should I go for it drops until I enjoy some similar card advantage to find a way to blast through their wall of interaction so win in hand often if i see CI on top t4 im copying a study and passing and figure even better chances next cycle.
Nexus Moderator
- Pronoun: he / him
- Posts: 1250
- Joined: 7 years ago
Post
by benjameenbear
2 months ago
Yeah, the current cEDH slop meta (I wonder who came up with that phrase? lol, very fitting) of draw engines being copied and cloned everywhere has me strongly considering picking up my Stax Kaalia list again.
Any changes to the list from the new set? I haven't really seen anything that's caught my interest, but it seems like
Doctor Doom, Unrivaled seems like a not bad card for this list since you can cast it via Glarb and it adds another ThOracle effect.
Curator of the MTGNexus cEDH Forums
Expand Signature
- Pronoun: he / him
- Posts: 1723
- Joined: 3 years ago
Post
by Moxnix
2 months ago
No I havent edited this recently at all and played it even less when im in the mood for a cedh pod ive been playing basim which while not a known mtgtop8 deck i win as much as i do with this and its a bit faster paced. I did play this in paper once recently when asked too and won without much effort. This list felt fairly good I'm not so interested in dr doom i dont have any kind of haste support at all i have no issues finding wins here just a bit of a slow starter.
- Pronoun: he / him
- Posts: 1723
- Joined: 3 years ago
Post
by Moxnix
3 weeks ago
Played this 4 times the other day no changes won every game it does still feel better than my dimir deck just less my style. The games were not very good while my opponent's mostly had good decks they played thier lines poorly couldn't see obvious threats and general never saw dd coming. I feel like I could make this list better but I need some stronger players to figure out where its weakest. When your transmute artifact for bolas as a blowout play and 2 cards into your bolas win someone forces a spell off the top I'm like yea that was the wrong spell bud how did you not know bolas was coming. On the one hand I get annoyed staring at hands full of interaction when I'm ready to win but im starting to think part of why i have just as much success with dimir is the same their lack of skill. as far as cards i thought about testing icetill just for generic goodstuff value its been good enough in any deck ive ever placed it but i dont know that i need it here but its a thought mostly happy but I'm sure it could get a bit cleaner nothing I'm on has seemed bad but i like the idea of shaving some random control card for one more gas boy but my curves getting a but fat from the glarb factor .