Raffine - Aggro Filter

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 years ago

My take on Raffine is a low to the ground aggro deck that filters into card advantage in discarding cards while putting valuable counters on my cheap creatures to buff up what they can accomplish in combat. Esper Sentinel suddenly being a 5/5 is no joke and its ability to curve with the commander and attack as such will allow the commander to put more counters on other things.

Given that the commander isn't out yet (as of me writing this) there are a lot of unknown elements to this commander. I am looking forward to testing it but I am uncertain if I will be able to do so before it releases which is still a ways out.

Decklist

COMMANDER (1)

ARTIFACT (4)

PLANESWALKER

Approximate Total Cost:

CONSIDERATIONS:
Last edited by ISBPathfinder 2 years ago, edited 30 times in total.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

What does "whenever you attack" mean? Is it each attacking creature that triggers it, each player you attack, or just once per attack step?

(my interpretation is it's once per player attacked, but not sure?)

More thoughts:

Return to the Ranks likely to overperform here
Dusk // Dawn probably also pretty good

I think you could probably do with a few more token producers but stuff like Bitterblossom seems really dubious.

I'm not sure you need any Tymna the Weaver effects.

Given that you're going to be shields down a lot I'd consider a couple gotcha effects (Inkshield for example). And I think something like Snapcaster Mage is going to be really good in your deck since you'll have so much stuff in the bin so often.

Brimaz, King of Oreskos feels like he'd overperform.

Akroma's Will likely a decent finisher.

You might find some of the beaters I use in Breena to be useful, like Cartographer's Hawk and Hushbringer viewtopic.php?t=40846

Philosophically speaking I think I would play zero equipment in this deck. it just is worse than bodies on curve. More Knight of the White Orchid less Dowsing Dagger // Lost Vale I think?

I think adding a lot of stuff that makes multiple bodies would be good too, Pack Rat type stuff?

Chasm Skulker might be pretty good.

Shaile, Dean of Radiance // Embrose, Dean of Shadow seems really cool. Good way to pump the team and a flying decent body for 1W

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 2 years ago

So... how do you win? Varina, Lich Queen variants I like go with mass reanimation and aristocrats, so that's where I would start, personally. Regardless, Tombstone Stairwell is an auto-include. That card rules.

Arebennian
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Arebennian » 2 years ago

I've been thinking of running it as a flying tribal reanimation. Lots of one drops and 2 drops with evasion / flying then a few midranged beaters and perhaps 3-4 'uncastable' ones. There are quite a few midrange, and high CMC flyers that would like additional counters put on them. I think in this sense, Pokken's Breena decklist would be good to play for ideas. Good to see Pokken's already posted.

My rationale is that you can run the most efficient reanimation spells and the filtering effect will help coordinate finding them and then also dump the big beaters in the yard. Big and midrange beaters I've been considering as reanimation targets (and other stuffs):

Grim Hireling
Dream Trawler
Shadrix Silverquill
Drogskol reaver
Razaketh, the foul blooded
Sphinx of the Steel wind
Vilis, broker of blood
Tidespout Tyrant
Zetalpa, Primal Dawn
Demon of death's gate
Triplicate titan
Sephara, Sky's Blade
Windreader Sphinx
Avacyn, angel of hope
Angel of the Ruins Ruins[/card]

Double strike, Vigilance (to dissuade crack back), Trample, protection or self or others, exploiting the number of small flyers have been my priority with these.

pokken

Oh I know it's obvious but Time Warp effects are going to be good =P lol.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
What does "whenever you attack" mean? Is it each attacking creature that triggers it, each player you attack, or just once per attack step?

(my interpretation is it's once per player attacked, but not sure?)

More thoughts:

Return to the Ranks likely to overperform here
Dusk // Dawn probably also pretty good

I think you could probably do with a few more token producers but stuff like Bitterblossom seems really dubious.

I'm not sure you need any Tymna the Weaver effects.

Given that you're going to be shields down a lot I'd consider a couple gotcha effects (Inkshield for example). And I think something like Snapcaster Mage is going to be really good in your deck since you'll have so much stuff in the bin so often.

Brimaz, King of Oreskos feels like he'd overperform.

Akroma's Will likely a decent finisher.

You might find some of the beaters I use in Breena to be useful, like Cartographer's Hawk and Hushbringer viewtopic.php?t=40846

Philosophically speaking I think I would play zero equipment in this deck. it just is worse than bodies on curve. More Knight of the White Orchid less Dowsing Dagger // Lost Vale I think?

I think adding a lot of stuff that makes multiple bodies would be good too, Pack Rat type stuff?

Chasm Skulker might be pretty good.

Shaile, Dean of Radiance // Embrose, Dean of Shadow seems really cool. Good way to pump the team and a flying decent body for 1W
  • Return to the Ranks - Yea that seems fairly legit. I will add it in.
  • Dusk // Dawn - I have always been a bit wishy washy on this card mostly because you have to cast it in order. I guess this might be the deck to make up for that given we can discard and just cast it for Dawn. I think that Dusk is often very so so on if you want it but the discard and just cast Dawn function seems like a good card advantage engine potentially. I was going to write this off because I hate needing to cast them in order but you are right the fact that you can discard the sweeper portion and just use the recovery probably makes it worthwhile.
  • Bitterblossom - I will be honest, I have no clue but its cheap and it makes flying tokens which seems good. Its obviously a card thats better the sooner you draw it but I think I still want to test it.
  • Tymna the Weaver - I am not really sure but I liked that Tymna had lifelink as well which when you buff her up she can be a decent beater thats also drawing cards. I was mostly aiming for three drops that I liked off curve so I could prioritize the commander on three and Tymna seemed good still. I think she is usually a better Dark Confidant personally given she can be played in the first main and get advantage from other attackers. I am still not really sure where I stand on needing other sources of draw since the commander is only filter but so much of what we run wants to be discarded so I am still working things out a bit. Maybe she can go, I don't really know yet.
  • Inkshield - I think its a cool effect but keeping five mana up just seems too unwieldy for a deck that is going to try to be proactive.
  • Snapcaster Mage - Maybe.... it depends a lot on what sort of spells I run though. I don't really love snappy if my spells are a bunch of counter magic as it just costs too much to keep that up.
  • Brimaz, King of Oreskos - I am a bit so so on him just because he doesn't make that many tokens, is slow to trigger, and only makes one attacker who is also weak and vulnerable to dying immediately. I went for Hero of Bladehold and Adeline, Resplendent Cathar but I think they are mostly just better cards than Brimaz. I do love Brimaz as I played him in standard back in the day but I don't think he holds up to commander that well if I am being honest.
  • Akroma's Will - If I am being honest, I don't really see a reason to run this over Time Warp effects. I get that it might punch a smidge harder due to the protections but at the cost of triggering the commander a second time, making me mana, and drawing a new card.... It just isn't something that I think measures up well personally as Akroma's Will in my mind is 100% only a game finisher but I could cast a Time Warp at any point in the game and its possible its a smidge worse in that game ending setup but its probably infinitely better in most every other situation. I haven't really pulled the trigger on extra turns but I was thinking of throwing.... maybe two into the mix. I feel like if I go any harder than two of them and you get too many situations of chaining the hell out of them which I don't like as it feels super oppressive.
  • Cartographer's Hawk - It just feels clunky to me. I put one in my Winota deck that plays on a less lands concept but without the sac / bounce lands I have a harder time being excited about it.
  • Hushbringer - Lots of the hatebears "could" be run but my issue with a lot of them is they don't attack well. This one has flying and lifelink so I think it probably passes given how much it hates on as well without really impacting me that much. Pumping it up to just be a random lifelinker is probably fine but it also can likely evasively poke somewhere just as is for me too. I will give it a shot as I like where it lands on the curve and stopping these triggers are both relevant.
  • Knight of the White Orchid vs Dowsing Dagger // Lost Vale - I still really like the dagger in part due to how it almost pays for itself the turn it comes in. I could still run the Knight / the other new two drop dog or whatever it is as well. What I do like about Knight in this deck is that I can throw them away if they wouldn't trigger but I still think that even if its going to trigger Knight has always felt a little weak to me given that it might not trigger and when it does work you really just got away with situational Nature's Lore in white. Given the filter nature of this deck it might be good enough but I also don't really find the body of the knight to be that appealing as I don't plan to pump it and a 2/2 first strike probably dies in a lot of places on attack.
  • Pack Rat - I do have some concern with card advantage still in this deck that will probably hold me back from going this far before testing things. I do think that the token production is really cool and could play really well into holding up answers and responses depending on how you build a list it could be very useful. I think I personally will probably hold off on this until I can see how it plays because I still don't know how the card advantage of the deck is going to play out.
  • Chasm Skulker - Seems great. Lets get it in there.
  • Shaile, Dean of Radiance // Embrose, Dean of Shadow - Yea, seems like an ok card to try out. I am not really sure that it puts enough power on the board without pushing harder on token tactics than I am but I am willing to test it.
TheGildedGoose wrote:
2 years ago
So... how do you win? Varina, Lich Queen variants I like go with mass reanimation and aristocrats, so that's where I would start, personally. Regardless, Tombstone Stairwell is an auto-include. That card rules.
The commander adds a bunch of +1/+1 counters to a creature based on the number of attacking creatures. It should add up to having some fairly beat down creatures or enable me to even consider voltron possibly. I likely won't intend to do voltron offhand as my thoughts are that moving the tokens to other creatures makes spot removal a little trickier for opponents than putting all my eggs in one basket on my commander.
Arebennian wrote:
2 years ago
I've been thinking of running it as a flying tribal reanimation. Lots of one drops and 2 drops with evasion / flying then a few midranged beaters and perhaps 3-4 'uncastable' ones. There are quite a few midrange, and high CMC flyers that would like additional counters put on them. I think in this sense, Pokken's Breena decklist would be good to play for ideas. Good to see Pokken's already posted.

My rationale is that you can run the most efficient reanimation spells and the filtering effect will help coordinate finding them and then also dump the big beaters in the yard. Big and midrange beaters I've been considering as reanimation targets (and other stuffs):

Grim Hireling
Dream Trawler
Shadrix Silverquill
Drogskol reaver
Razaketh, the foul blooded
Sphinx of the Steel wind
Vilis, broker of blood
Tidespout Tyrant
Zetalpa, Primal Dawn
Demon of death's gate
Triplicate titan
Sephara, Sky's Blade
Windreader Sphinx
Avacyn, angel of hope
Angel of the Ruins Ruins[/card]

Double strike, Vigilance (to dissuade crack back), Trample, protection or self or others, exploiting the number of small flyers have been my priority with these.
You probably could get away with a very odd reanimation deck with this commander. Its a bit of a different build from what I am on but some of the trick will also be having some cheap creatures so you can push cards around. One option you could go with for this is running a bunch of cheap noncreature token makers and run it as a Polymorph / Mass Polymorph sort of setup turning the tokens into big fatties and or reanimating the fatties from grave. You would have to be very deliberate in what creatures you include in such a list but it could be a thing that fits right in with the big fatty reanimator concept.

Given that I have more adds than cuts I won't try to one for one the changes here. I am still not up to a 100 card deck but I have more to tinker with. I am not sure that I have sufficient interaction either as I think the deck is still going to be a bit weak to commander disruption and sweepers. The fact that my commander is a three drop with ward will make fighting me on the commander level without transforming / stealing harder though at least.

CUTS:
  • Ephara, God of the Polis - I just felt like it was a bit slow and fair. As we add more and more cards that get value from discarding them I liked random extra slow value gen that doesn't synergize with my commander less.
  • Stitch Together - While its fine reanimation its not more efficient than casting most of the creatures I run. It would be better served in a deck with more top end that it discards and rezes to play.
  • Welcoming Vampire - Similar to Ephara. Its a creature who can count in attacking as well but its also more vulnerable to removal / sweepers. I felt it was slower than Tymna's draw and its also competing on the three mana front so I cut it.
  • Lion Sash - I have a lot of other grave hate and the limitation of needing white mana convinced me to cut this one.
  • Hangarback Walker - Its not that cheap to cast still costing two mana to put out and I don't REALLY love the idea of needing to sink my commander's buff triggers on him either. Chasm Skulker seemed a lot better given that the draw / discard filtering will also power him up and can do so the turn he is played so I just felt like the walker was going to be something I was a lot less happy with.
  • Swiftfoot Boots - I always have a tough time evaluating boots. I think I can be fine with my commander being cheap with ward if I don't stack all the counters on them as well. I think I will just run without any boots for now.
  • Sword of the Animist - It is decent ramp given time but this deck seems a bit faster than what its geared to do. Its an equipment I often consider when having a cheap commander especially one with evasion but I think for now I am going to go without and see what my clock ends up being with this deck.
  • Stoneforge Mystic - I probably don't need to tutor for the equipment I have and my package was looking a bit thin.
  • Nihil Spellbomb - I still have a lot of grave hate without it so going to trim this and keep the creature grave hate effects.
Added:
  • Return to the Ranks - It seems like good value and I can even proactively plan to play this by using my commander's filter to set it up.
  • Dusk // Dawn - I have often had issues with the Dusk side of the card but I can just discard it and move to Dawn for value if its not good so this seems like a good place to test the card out finally.
  • Linvala, Shield of Sea Gate - Just more cheap protection. I considered some of the one drops that could sacrifice to protect as well but I like Linvala because she can protect vs a few types of effects and flies herself allowing her to beat in while holding up some level of protection.
  • Hushbringer - Flying + Lifelink + two valuable hatebear effects paired. It can probably evasively go somewhere without being buffed but it can also be a psudo lifelink angel in a pinch with some counters. I hate dying to both Purphoros, God of the Forge and Blood Artist so hating on both those effects sounds great.
  • Chasm Skulker - it grows from my commander's triggers on other targets and splits in a sweeper to have a new army on demand. Seems worth testing.
  • Teferi's Protection - Generally useful effect and it can protect my board which is good as this is currently a go wide strategy.
  • Fierce Guardianship - Useful counterspell.
  • Mana Drain - Good counterspell
  • Angel's Grace - This card has been growing on me lately as I see a good amount of haymaker / combo wincons from my opponents. Most of the reason not to run this card is that you might have to sit on something that does nothing but given that this deck can filter cards it seems useful to run.
  • Cyclonic Rift - Good answer / tempo.
  • Reconnaissance - Helps me keep the not so great chaff attackers alive and mass vigilance.
  • Time Warp - Pressure and overall value
  • Temporal Manipulation - Pressure and overall value
This puts me up to 62 cards. I probably plan to run something like 30-33 lands starting given how low my curve is and how the looting of my commander functions. That means I still have a handful of things I can run I haven't figured out yet. I will probably work on the landbase soon but if anyone has any other suggestions let me know.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 2 years ago

I've found in Varina, Lich Queen and Millicent, Restless Revenant (similar but different) that the most important thing is to "curve out" - your best draws will be creature into creature into Commander. I've also found in aggro-y UBx decks (Varina, Yuriko, Alela) that free/cheap interaction is pivotal in allowing you to develop a board but still interact.

A few other creatures I'd consider are...
Thalia, Guardian of Thraben - first strike can be surprisingly effective early on with some +1/+1 counters; disruption is good.
Cloud of Faeries - "free" flier early; cycle late.
Vault Skirge - it's no Serra Ascendant, but it will do.
Mausoleum Wanderer - you don't have a ton of spirits synergy, but this card is still good.
Ghostly Pilferer - this thing looks clunky but has been an absolute house in my meta.

You could run any number of Flying Men beyond that but you don't have a ton of space; those are all my favorites that you aren't already running since they're all either incredible early or non-terrible late or both.

In terms of interaction, I'll give a shout to Force of Despair, Misdirection, and Snuff Out as some considerations beyond obvious low-MV stuff like Infernal Grasp, Swords to Plowshares, Swan Song, Counterspell, and Arcane Denial.

EDIT: One thing I forgot that surprised me on my Varina's test flight is that I thought I'd have effectively infinite cards with Varina's text, but since it's a loot and not a draw effect I frequently found myself out of gas in the mid to lategame. So if you are in doubt, it wouldn't hurt to just slam some more good draw spells (Painful Truths, Fact or Fiction. Treasure Cruise, Dig Through Time, Chart a Course) to keep your hand good and full.

pokken

ISBPathfinder wrote:
2 years ago
Inkshield - I think its a cool effect but keeping five mana up just seems too unwieldy for a deck that is going to try to be proactive.
The thing is you probably will get to a point where you have 5-6 bodies and are looting 5 every turn, and you don't want to commit more to the board. That's what I find with Breena. Having those interactive spells in just enough volume to usually get to 1 or 2 of them usually pays great dividends. Sculpt your hand, fill your yard, don't need to overcommit.

Comeuppance or Selfless Squire might be more useful (since it's a big body as well).

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 2 years ago

Alhammarret's Archive is also nice. Since a big board is in play creature protection also could be nice Selfless Glyphweaver // Deadly Vanity Unbreakable Formation and Flawless Maneuver might be nice.

Also since you loot so much, why not run some more recursion? Sun Titan was the first that came to mind but it might be to slow for 2022 EDH. Late to Dinner overperforms in normal decks, I think it would fit here too

pzbw7z

Post by pzbw7z » 2 years ago

yeti1069 wrote:
2 years ago
Teferi's Ageless Insight [/card] will turn the commander's looting into card advantage.
duducrash wrote:
2 years ago
Alhammarret's Archive is also nice.
Together they would be absurd! X times four! Baby!

pokken

The draw doublers feel like super winmore most of the time to me. You can probably find some ways to generate CA that are both more explosive and not as telegraphed and also good at recovering from a deficit.

If you're drawing 7/discarding 6 every turn, plus whatever attack triggers your guys have, you should be in a pretty triumphant position.

I'd consider more along the lines of Bident of Thassa effects if you really need this, since they're more efficient at the same thing and can't be countered by removing the single creature that has connive on it. But I don't think those are needed either.

(someone can fade your big draw off Teferi's Ageless Insight entirely and basically cancel your whole turn by killing the creature, but if you Bident and swing with 10 guys you're likely to draw a bunch of cards...a lot more inevitable).

Just having a lot of the stuff you discard be virtual draw should be enough.

Hawk wrote:
2 years ago
Skirge was always great in my aggro tymna decks.

I should add that Nullpriest of Oblivion has been real good in Breena for a similar effect.

Signal Pest maybe worth considering as a nice evasive way to jam some more power on.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Ok, I did get the landbase put together for now so I guess we will see how that goes.

I did a bit more thinking about my setup and my current list and I came to the conclusion that the evasion granted by the three Incarnations (Glory, Filth, and Wonder) is probably greater than I initially gave it credit for. The fact that we have a way to directly throw them to the bin outside of cast / sac or entomb is also really good and I think I am going to lean on that a bit more. I also think I am going to run some of the entomb things as I think the density of things I want in my grave is probably high enough. Those cards to put them directly in the bin are also going to replace a few of my other odd means of evasion and stuff to keep my guys alive.
Hawk wrote:
2 years ago
I've found in Varina, Lich Queen and Millicent, Restless Revenant (similar but different) that the most important thing is to "curve out" - your best draws will be creature into creature into Commander. I've also found in aggro-y UBx decks (Varina, Yuriko, Alela) that free/cheap interaction is pivotal in allowing you to develop a board but still interact.

A few other creatures I'd consider are...
Thalia, Guardian of Thraben - first strike can be surprisingly effective early on with some +1/+1 counters; disruption is good.
Cloud of Faeries - "free" flier early; cycle late.
Mausoleum Wanderer - you don't have a ton of spirits synergy, but this card is still good.
Ghostly Pilferer - this thing looks clunky but has been an absolute house in my meta.

You could run any number of Flying Men beyond that but you don't have a ton of space; those are all my favorites that you aren't already running since they're all either incredible early or non-terrible late or both.

In terms of interaction, I'll give a shout to Force of Despair, Misdirection, and Snuff Out as some considerations beyond obvious low-MV stuff like Infernal Grasp, Swords to Plowshares, Swan Song, Counterspell, and Arcane Denial.

EDIT: One thing I forgot that surprised me on my Varina's test flight is that I thought I'd have effectively infinite cards with Varina's text, but since it's a loot and not a draw effect I frequently found myself out of gas in the mid to lategame. So if you are in doubt, it wouldn't hurt to just slam some more good draw spells (Painful Truths, Fact or Fiction. Treasure Cruise, Dig Through Time, Chart a Course) to keep your hand good and full.
  • Thalia, Guardian of Thraben - starting out I really didn't want to feel like I had to put counters on them as there isn't a lot of incentive to do so other than to keep them alive. Thalia when she is good is already enough of a target so my concern was more that it could be hard to do combat with a lot of the hatebears but as I was talking above I think my Incarnations might be able to provide more evasion than I initially gave them credit for. I will add her in and see how it goes. I do like her against a lot of spellslinger decks as they tend to love spamming spells.
  • Cloud of Faeries - It is free mana wise but I don't know where I stand on card advantage yet for me to feel confident adding a vanilla flyer to my deck.
  • Vault Skirge - I guess it depends on how much I value one drops / lifelinkers. I don't feel like I am able to push for tempo quite this hard if I am being honest but I might just need to see it in action first.
  • Mausoleum Wanderer - Oh, I do like the sac option where I can have some counters on it and make it living hell to cast spells lol. Given its a one drop with evasion I think I could get behind that.
  • Ghostly Pilferer - Interesting I don't think I have seen that card played before. Its fun how he draws cards off opponents playing their commanders. I am a little hesitant from the standpoint that it doesn't have evasion but I did just include Thalia despite that issue. I will have to think a bit more on this one as I think the draw is cute but I don't really care for the rest of it.
Spells - Yea I am still mulling over a lot of things as far as my removal package goes. Most of the synergy I have been playing around with goes into creatures and some random madness / threshold / flashback stuffs. I could expand my counterspell or protection plan but most of that stuff isn't all that on synergy other than if it keeps me moving forward. But then there is always the issue of if I pack indestructible as a protection and walk into Toxic Deluge / Cyclonic Rift and its useless. I might pick out a few more cheap counterspells but I don't know where I feel I need to be yet on spot removal and protection from it.

Card Advantage - I have been mulling over a few options for card advantage possibly dipping into some of the variations of Coastal Piracy just from the standpoint that they are still affordable to cast but they ideally do a lot more than a one shot Painful Truths given the composition of the deck. I think I will likely need to do some testing before I really get a feel for where I stand and need to be.
pokken wrote:
2 years ago
ISBPathfinder wrote:
2 years ago
Inkshield - I think its a cool effect but keeping five mana up just seems too unwieldy for a deck that is going to try to be proactive.
The thing is you probably will get to a point where you have 5-6 bodies and are looting 5 every turn, and you don't want to commit more to the board. That's what I find with Breena. Having those interactive spells in just enough volume to usually get to 1 or 2 of them usually pays great dividends. Sculpt your hand, fill your yard, don't need to overcommit.

Comeuppance or Selfless Squire might be more useful (since it's a big body as well).
The other thing on something like Inkshield is I encounter so many decks that don't attack me as their wincon. I am more likely to consider Comeuppance due to this but even that falls short when someone goes for a Thassa's Oracle win. Someone tried convincing me that they were including Oracle in their deck the other day because they thought that the card selection from it was good. I just laughed at him and asked him to let me know the next time he cast oracle for the scry effect.
yeti1069 wrote:
2 years ago
Teferi's Ageless Insight [/card] will turn the commander's looting into card advantage.
Good call, I had to check the rules on how that works but it looks like it works how we would want it to. I was going to resort to some Coastal Piracy tactics potentially but I think that seems better even though it puts more dependency on the commander it also draws even when you get blocked which the piracy doesn't do.
duducrash wrote:
2 years ago
Alhammarret's Archive is also nice. Since a big board is in play creature protection also could be nice Selfless Glyphweaver // Deadly Vanity Unbreakable Formation and Flawless Maneuver might be nice.

Also since you loot so much, why not run some more recursion? Sun Titan was the first that came to mind but it might be to slow for 2022 EDH. Late to Dinner overperforms in normal decks, I think it would fit here too
Alhammarret's Archive good call, I will probably see how the enchantment version goes over first and go from there. I agree with Polkin that it could be a little heavy on the commander dependence.

I am a bit so so on cards that only give indestructible. I let Selfless Spirit and Linvala, Shield of Sea Gate in but they both have evasion naturally and provide more utility / fit the curve better. My issue with indestructability as a defense is that its sort of a crap defense these days with a lot of things getting through it.

Sun Titan - I thought about it but he is a six drop with more reliance on the graveyard. I have a lot of graveyard reliance already and given that he is higher on the curve and doesn't discard well himself I opted to avoid him. If I go too deep on the graveyard stuff I can get really wrecked by grave hate so I have been trying to stick more to things that discard well that give me value off of themselves having been discarded instead.

Late to Dinner - Its ok, it has some of the same issues I have with Sun Titan but I think you could also go with a deck that has intent to reanimate larger scale threats into play early its just not the direction I went with my first take of this commander. Most of my creatures ended up being very small so I sprinked a little bit of mass reanimation in for them but am mostly just not running much for dedicated reanimation.

pzbw7z wrote:
2 years ago
yeti1069 wrote:
2 years ago
duducrash wrote:
2 years ago
Alhammarret's Archive is also nice.
Together they would be absurd! X times four! Baby!
Lol that sounds a little winmore. I am not opposed to testing the effects out but I focused a lot of the card advantage to the deck itself and discarding things with madness / self reanimate things / flashback.

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
The draw doublers feel like super winmore most of the time to me. You can probably find some ways to generate CA that are both more explosive and not as telegraphed and also good at recovering from a deficit.

If you're drawing 7/discarding 6 every turn, plus whatever attack triggers your guys have, you should be in a pretty triumphant position.

I'd consider more along the lines of Bident of Thassa effects if you really need this, since they're more efficient at the same thing and can't be countered by removing the single creature that has connive on it. But I don't think those are needed either.

(someone can fade your big draw off Teferi's Ageless Insight entirely and basically cancel your whole turn by killing the creature, but if you Bident and swing with 10 guys you're likely to draw a bunch of cards...a lot more inevitable).

Just having a lot of the stuff you discard be virtual draw should be enough.
Hawk wrote:
2 years ago
Skirge was always great in my aggro tymna decks.

I should add that Nullpriest of Oblivion has been real good in Breena for a similar effect.

Signal Pest maybe worth considering as a nice evasive way to jam some more power on.
You are correct in the commander reliance on it but the commander is also cheap with ward 1. Bident also is less efficient if opponents can block any of the attacks. I might do a little testing but just like, putting a single copy in and seeing how the deck does. That way I can see how the deck does with and without it.

Signal Pest - It might be. I think if it is worth it its probably on the back of it being an evasive one drop with pump rather than pump really being amazing. I assume that a lot of the work is going to be getting those +/+ counters on and putting in several attacks with them.

These changes officially get me to 100 cards so all changes will have to be 1 for 1 now for me at least.

ADD:
  • Demonic Tutor - I started with the spicy synergy so I guess we get boring and go back and add some tutors.
  • Vampiric Tutor - more tutors.
  • Entomb - I have enough targets that more than make this card playable. Even on turn one I can entomb for Bloodghast and get set up on turn two for my turn three attacks.
  • Buried Alive - I think right now my ideal setup is Bloodghast + Prized Amalgam + Wonder but that still leaves me with two backup Incantations that can be fetched. It seems like a strong package to have for now. I did hope I could somehow make Gravecrawler seem playable but I just wasn't confident in a zombie package for this list.
  • Anguished Unmaking - Woops forgot to add this. Cutting Generous Gift for it as I prefer the exile.
  • Austere Command - I realized that I could use the destroy 4+ cmc mode and miss most of my deck with it and that sounded great paired with either artifacts or enchantments. Seems like a great sweeper.
  • Thalia, Guardian of Thraben - I think the hate for spellspam decks is good.
  • Teferi's Ageless Insight - I guess we can give this effect a shot. It is a bit dependent on the commander to work but I think its strong if it works even once.
  • Haazda Marshal - I wanted to keep my one mana creature count going strong. I like that it can make me tokens and I felt the evasion in the list might be enough that I don't have to pump him.
  • Swan Song - Useful counterspell that hits a lot of the things I want opponents to not do (sweep or spot remove me).
  • Mausoleum Wanderer - One drop with evasion that can also make my opponents lives hell to resolve things I don't want them to.
  • Visions of Beyond - A sprinkle of cheap draw that can probably perform well given I should be filling my bin.
  • Chrome Mox - Some tempo mana. I thought about it a bit more and really I just want to have fast and hard opening turns which felt like I needed some moxes for. I can always filter them if I draw them later and that is most of the reason that moxes can be awkward so it seems like a low downside include.
  • Mox Diamond - Same as with chrome mox. Get some juicy early game turns.
CUT:
  • Shaile, Dean of Radiance - I kept thinking about it and I wasn't convinced that it was going to do enough. I probably get a few creatures a turn and giving them +1/+1 each just didn't seem like it was going to pull its weight.
  • Generous Gift - I cut it for Anguished Unmaking.
  • Vampire of the Dire Moon - Add in some evasion and I suddenly don't value this vamp all that much. I opted to run some different one drops instead.
  • Reconnaissance - Pushing for more entomb tutors and I felt they were a good replacement for this. The incarnations can serve the same purpose.
  • Tymna the Weaver - Trying to cull more of my three drop creatures as they interfere with casting my commander. Tymna could realistically be a coastal piracy instead. Trying out some other things.
  • Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive - Leaning more into the incarnations as my evasion. I don't like how Tetsuko's evasion doesn't work as soon as I use my commander to buff.
  • Pithing Needle - Pithing is good with looting as you can throw it away when it isn't good but I just didn't feel it was central to what this deck is doing. Maybe it can come back later but I don't need pithing right now.
  • Sword of Feast and Famine - Its usually targeted heavily. Its good but I don't know if I need the mana after I can get it all set up. I guess what I am saying is I don't know how my card advantage is going to go and this sword is sort of top of my curve currently without a lot of mana dumps and uncertain draw still. Lets just move away and see how the deck functions first.
I also snuck a Gemstone Caverns into my lands but I wasn't really tracking my lands yet as I have been crafting that all day today.

EDIT: I also contemplated some delve cards like Dig Through Time and Treasure Cruise. They could be useful if we need more draw but they also put more tax on our graveyard as well. I want to see how the deck performs I think before I jump to considering them.

duducrash
Still Learning

ISBPathfinder wrote:
2 years ago
I am a bit so so on cards that only give indestructible. I let Selfless Spirit and Linvala, Shield of Sea Gate in but they both have evasion naturally and provide more utility / fit the curve better. My issue with indestructability as a defense is that its sort of a crap defense these days with a lot of things getting through it.
but if you run close to the ground it will be really really hard to recover from a sweeper. there are other protection such as Guardian of Faith , Eerie Interlude and the always versatile March of Swirling Mist . With how many sweepers are run nowadays, a big board needs to defend itself. There are added forms too like the Glen Elendra Archmage you run. Malevolent Hermit // Benevolent Geist goes in that vein

pokken

One weird one that popped into my head is Lazotep Plating - pretty cheap way to make a body and protect your dudes. Has some niche effects at stuffing certain player targeting effects too that are otherwise difficult to counter.

I think stuff that just randomly deposits extra bodies rates to be really good.

Phoenixlance

Post by Phoenixlance » 2 years ago

Not sure if they were mentioned before/didn't make the cut initially, but Ranger of Eos and Ranger-Captain of Eos can help find your more impactful 1-drops as well as help re-establish a board presence post-wrath. Ranger-Captain even acts as interaction itself.
Main Rotation
Dragonlord Ojutai I Lurrus of the Dream-Den I Katilda, Dawnhart Prime I Jenara, Asura of War I Niv-Mizzet Reborn I Tymna/Bruse Phoenix Kindred I Ezuri, Renegade Leader I Alela, Cunning Conquerer

cEDH
Francisco/Malcolm I Thrasios/Kraum

duducrash
Still Learning

I hope you dont mind me overposting here, I also will build her. Whenever I put a list together I'll post it but the discussion helps me greatly.

she is so versatile Im unsure where to begin with. I began building her as a faerie commander she can also be a spirits if I wanna stick with tribal but everything low to the ground should be fine. With so many creatures connecting some ninja value could be fun. Its a bit of a nombo because it doesnt advance the board and gets more counters for the effect, but it is value. Also infect is a good way to close out games. Blighted Agent might atrack every hate people have until it can attack but Tainted Strike, Grafted Exoskeleton and Glistening Oil give the deck that extra lethality

Here are some random cards I like but dont have much to say
Welcoming Vampire was on an earlier version and you cut but it seems so good.
Aven Mindcensor also seems to fit well. Attacks well, its good hate and flash is always nice
Kaito Shizuki all 3 abilities are relevant
Bident of Thassa and Coastal Piracy . Since this deck is constantly attacking, the draw should be constant and keep the gas on
Bloodsoaked Champion recurring body
Chart a Course should be pretty easy to run

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 2 years ago

Could Thopter Foundry / Sword of the Meek be an option? You don't play many artifacts, but the combo could be worth it. Foundry gives you evasive creatures and some life, while Sword is triggered by many of your small creatures.

Reconnaissance Mission is another Coastal Piracy variant.
Ominous Seas should be fairly easy to trigger, too. Mask of Memory is a really great card with so many evasive creatures.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Protection - I generally have a hard time with the fact that most protection is still narrow in how it functions. It will often protect from one thing but not another. Teferi's Protection is one of the few that insulates from most effects but its three mana cost is a very real issue for a low curve proactive deck too. In my opinion the best answer to sweepers in general is counter magic because it doesn't fall through when specific sweepers are used. Counter magic often also has other broad uses as well. I could see bringing up my counter magic with some things like Force of Negation, Force of Will, Pact of Negation, Arcane Denial, or Negate yet but I need to do some testing before I wanted to get heavy handed on that stuff. My plan was ultimately be a bit more proactive in nature but I don't hate having a few more emergency counters on hand.

I actually feel like I have quite a bit of protection and rebuild sort of things in my list as it is right now. Its possible I might even cut some of it back in the future but if I do it would be fore things more proactive or potentially even for more counter magic and or spot removal.
Phoenixlance wrote:
2 years ago
Not sure if they were mentioned before/didn't make the cut initially, but Ranger of Eos and Ranger-Captain of Eos can help find your more impactful 1-drops as well as help re-establish a board presence post-wrath. Ranger-Captain even acts as interaction itself.
I play a lot of white so I have a lot of opinions on these sort of cards but generally speaking I tend to run them in two situations:

1) I really need a specific one drop.
2) I am stuck in mono white or boros and I have no other means of getting card advantage. I wouldn't even really call Ranger-Captain of Eos card advantage being that he just gets me a single creature back so I think he and Recruiter of the Guard are more about toolboxing especially if there are specific things you find yourself wanting regularly. Ranger of Eos is in my opinion somewhat middling card advantage given that he has a bad body to him and ultimately ends up being a six mana play to put everything in play.

I think these effects are.... ok as far as getting more bodies into play but I don't find any of the Rangers or Recruiter of the Guard to have really meaningful bodies to them. They do fill up the board a little but I could just as easily run something like Sram's Expertise or Sengir Autocrat if I just want bodies in play. In my mind the real selling point of these tutor creatures really comes down to how much you value any specific card or if you plan to have a toolbox approach. I generally feel that there is a bit of a mana tax on these effects to get something specific and I didn't value a specific creature too highly that I felt I wanted to run these tutors for them.

I don't think that its wrong to play these effects but my experience with them has been that it matters a bit on how much you value the toolboxing or a specific creature. I felt like there was a mana premium for them and chose not to but I think if I ran one it would probably be Recruiter of the Guard given that it can even get Wonder / Bloodghast and then trigger to discard those cards so in a way it could function similar to an entomb effect but you would probably also want to run some things like Skyclave Apparition as well to fill out more of a toolbox.
duducrash wrote:
2 years ago
I hope you dont mind me overposting here, I also will build her. Whenever I put a list together I'll post it but the discussion helps me greatly.

she is so versatile Im unsure where to begin with. I began building her as a faerie commander she can also be a spirits if I wanna stick with tribal but everything low to the ground should be fine. With so many creatures connecting some ninja value could be fun. Its a bit of a nombo because it doesnt advance the board and gets more counters for the effect, but it is value. Also infect is a good way to close out games. Blighted Agent might atrack every hate people have until it can attack but Tainted Strike, Grafted Exoskeleton and Glistening Oil give the deck that extra lethality

Here are some random cards I like but dont have much to say
Welcoming Vampire was on an earlier version and you cut but it seems so good.
Aven Mindcensor also seems to fit well. Attacks well, its good hate and flash is always nice
Kaito Shizuki all 3 abilities are relevant
Bident of Thassa and Coastal Piracy . Since this deck is constantly attacking, the draw should be constant and keep the gas on
Bloodsoaked Champion recurring body
Chart a Course should be pretty easy to run
Tribal - I think the commander is good and you could force a tribal concept that is off tribe for her but I just don't see a compelling reason offhand to force any specific tribe on her.

Infect - Yea it could work out. I don't think I would push hard on infect if you do but more towards running the absolute best of them and walking away. Some of the ones that are unblockable / flying could work out but I still think in most cases they end up being two turn effects to kill people as its not very realistic to think you will slow play something and swing to give it 8+ counters the following turn without someone doing something. Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon seems like the best one to me because it can give itself haste and it has flying and 4 power already which makes it feel probably the most likely to go the distance but I could possibly see Inkmoth Nexus getting forgotten about if you play it early and don't activate it for multiple turns. Blighted Agent seems good on paper but its also incredibly slow and small making me think its probably going to take 2+ combats as well as lacking haste naturally. I think your idea to give infect is likely stronger than most of the infect creatures naturally. The other thing that is unfortunate about the idea of infect is that its sort of an all or nothing thing. If you put some poison counters on someone then lose your infect source you just wasted a lot of time and effort. Its part of why I rarely go for infect because its sort of like a card just for haymakering. If it doesn't kill people then it wasn't worth having.
  • Welcoming Vampire - I cut it in part because it was a three mana drop which interferes with my commander meaning that I don't plan to curve play this but my commander instead. I also don't like how it needs another creature entering play to draw the turn it comes in. It can be some value over time but I could see a lot of reason to potentially value something like Twilight Prophet instead even though its one more mana that isn't a big deal as my commander is my three mana play. Eventually later in the game playing the Welcoming Vamp + another creature might be an option but I feel like Twilight Prophet could provide similar card advantage while also putting pressure on opponents. Ultimately, I want to see how my card advantage feels as I think that a lot of the things that give me value from discarding are going to be really good and strong but I just don't know a lot of things with this list yet until I can get some games in. I am mulling over seeing if I can't do some proxy testing until the set is out because this thread is so active lol.
  • Aven Mindcensor - I have never really found Mindcensor to be that impressive of a hatebear but I also think that hatebears often have very different effect from meta to meta. It does have evasion and flash which is interesting I just feel like I don't see enough searching that I need this personally.
  • Kaito Shizuki - I think that the long term value of this planeswalker is fine but I also think that planeswalkers need to pay for and justify themselves mostly the turn they enter play. This is a walker where I would find myself paying for it after about three turns and I get that it makes it so it lives two turns generally I just am not really excited about most of the abilities and I think it would turn into a weird Divination effect. I don't want to slowly draw some cards and be forced to defend it for some slow delayed card draw and I am not really impressed with most of its other abilities.
  • Bident of Thassa / Coastal Piracy If I want something that is just to draw cards this is probably where I will start. I was about to add one of them but decided to try out Teferi's Ageless Insight first. If I need more draw I likely will resort to these I just need to test some first and see how much advantage the looting ends up being with some of the madness / discard friendly things.
  • Bloodsoaked Champion my issue is mostly that casting him from hand or from the grave never seems to add up. Its possible that I need more creatures to support Prized Amalgam and that this might be the solution, I just don't really like what I get for the mana otherwise.
  • Chart a Course its alright but I am more likely to run the Coastal Piracy effects if I am going to dedicate a spot to something just for draw that isn't discard friendly.
Its possible I need another 1-2 things that recur from the graveyard to support Prized Amalgam being in my list (assuming he stays in). There are a few cards that could ultimately be I just am not thrilled with any of the ones I saw. Abiding Grace might be more compelling than a lot of the ones that recur on their own given that I could intentionally discard one drops into rezing them and by doing so turn them into card draw from my commander's filter effect. The problem with that is I only have six one drops currently in the list but I really haven't been impressed with most of the other self recurring creatures.
cheonice wrote:
2 years ago
Could Thopter Foundry / Sword of the Meek be an option? You don't play many artifacts, but the combo could be worth it. Foundry gives you evasive creatures and some life, while Sword is triggered by many of your small creatures.

Reconnaissance Mission is another Coastal Piracy variant.
Ominous Seas should be fairly easy to trigger, too. Mask of Memory is a really great card with so many evasive creatures.
  • Thopter Foundry / Sword of the Meek - Both of these cards really don't fit the deck without both cards being in play but the upside here is you can freely discard the Sword and recur it later if you find the Foundry. The problem here is if you find the Foundry first as its essentially not playable without the sword. I guess you could run them and just discard the foundry if found first. I feel like it eats up space in the deck for somewhat of a middling combo though.
  • Reconnaissance Mission - Its probably the first effect of the piracy effects I would run due to it having cycling option to it. I also think that Bident of Thassa is the last one to be run given its both artifact and enchantment which opens it up to additional interaction options even though it does have some extra utility I think that is lessened by its extra interaction options.
  • Ominous Seas - That is cute but I still think that drawing 8 cards won't come that fast. Its probably at least two turns to activate it and that is assuming nobody freaks out and murders the commander seeing 8/8s coming down the pipe. Its cool in that it doesn't take mana though and you can make the token at the end of opponents turns making it harder to catch the token in a sweeper. I will give it some thought. I think its a cool idea but the big question is going to be how long it takes for that to trigger as I do think that matters quite a bit. I think that its probably going to be 2-3 turns even though you could trigger it same turn I think thats probably not what I would assume on how this goes.
  • Mask of Memory - I had been considering it when I was going to push for equipment. Now I think I would rather make room for a Coastal Piracy effect instead.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Small change to my list. I don't know that I will get a chance to proxy test before this product launches given we are fairly close to the go live date now but I did get a chance to think about a few more things. I think my support to get Prized Amalgam to work was a little low and while I am not saying that cutting it can't happen I also felt like it has fairly good synergy with being able to discard it and it can provide a lot of fast boardstate to get into situations where you quickly get +2 bodies in play without paying mana so I wanted to explore that a bit more. I did some more digging into self recurring creatures and most of them felt like the reason to play them was more for sac value. Things like Gravecrawler isn't that appealing to actually cast even if you can do it from the graveyard it costs mana and the main reason to run it is more for if you are based in zombies and are sacrificing things. This is some of the issue I was encountering with a lot of the self recurring creatures in that most of them were still going to cost me mana that I didn't feel was all that well spent.
  • SpellskiteBenevolent Bodyguard I felt like these two do very similar things. If I am redirecting something to Spellskite its probably about the same as goving protection. It drops a two drop to a one drop though which is probably helpful on the curve even if it does make it more mana intensive.
  • Drana, Liberator of MalakirAbiding Grace I gave it more thought and I didn't love Drana as much as I wanted to. To be fair, I am not going super wide like a token deck and so I don't think that Drana is quite where I want to be especially given that I would plan to cast her after my commander and off curve I find her less appealing. I think Abiding Grace is more appealing off curve as I could set it up after attacking and looting one or more one drop to grave.
  • Angel's GraceSelfless Savior I think Angel's Grace is amazing but its not really on theme and while its cool that I can filter it, I like this effect more in a more card advantage oriented controlling deck. I wanted to push up my one drop count a bit more to support adding Abiding Grace and I like pushing a bit more on the things that serve as creatures that can attack and also protect my board.
I didn't really think about some of these sac as protection effects before now. I thought about some of the Mother of Runes effects but I wanted attackers still which is why I didn't opt for them. I think this gives me a bit more protection, lets me curve into play, and makes it harder to disrupt me. I have a little bit of fear about theft effects still as it stands which I might have to consider running Homeward Path for. Lots of this deck functioning can make transform and theft effects be a problem so that might be something I look into answering if I can come up with some workable changes.

pokken

Might be inching toward Proclamation of Rebirth territory with all the 1 drops :)

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 2 years ago

Just reiterating the Tombstone Stairwell suggestion since it may have gotten lost in the shuffle, I think it's more impactful than something like Abiding Grace. The card just produces absolutely ridiculous amounts of bodies in the mid and late game and will dig through your entire deck in short order while making your primary attacker(s) huge. If you don't already have it it's kind of obnoxiously priced since it really only fits into decks like this and Aristocrats, but if you want bodies, you just won't do better.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
Might be inching toward Proclamation of Rebirth territory with all the 1 drops :)
I don't actually think I have ever seen a commander deck that I have felt has the density to actually make that card work. I think you would have to be on a Shadowborn Apostle for me to feel comfortable making that card work. If you do the math even having two targets for it in this list seems kind of so so.
TheGildedGoose wrote:
2 years ago
Just reiterating the Tombstone Stairwell suggestion since it may have gotten lost in the shuffle, I think it's more impactful than something like Abiding Grace. The card just produces absolutely ridiculous amounts of bodies in the mid and late game and will dig through your entire deck in short order while making your primary attacker(s) huge. If you don't already have it it's kind of obnoxiously priced since it really only fits into decks like this and Aristocrats, but if you want bodies, you just won't do better.
Sorry I did lose that one in all of the comments.

I have a few issues with Tombstone Stairwell which are primarily that Tombstone is terrible for attacking, the point of tombstone is primarily hitting ETB / death triggers for aristocrats / Purphoros, God of the Forge kind of effects. Its incredibly slow to return if your plan is to use it for attackers and it gives everyone a chance to remove it before you can move to attack with the tokens. It involves paying four mana and holding up a huge sign that says I AM GONNA WRECK YOU SOON. Its reliant on graveyards, its slow to give a return for the standpoint of attacking, and its not that cheap when you look at how much setup it kind of takes. I would be happier if I planned to push for Aristocrat tactics which are potentially an option given the colors of the concept but I opted not to run them myself.

Keep in mind that Abiding Grace gives me value in the same turn, it draws a lot less attention, and it also adds to the support package to possibly make Prized Amalgam viable in this deck. Beyond that, I see a lot of spot interaction in my meta and things that are slow and flashy are things that I tend to avoid. I do own one and I think its a great card in the right situation but I also think you need to find value in tokens on opponents turns which I don't see for this list.

Vertierer
Kabbalisten-Schatzmeister
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Vertierer » 2 years ago

Have you thought about adding or at least trying Containment Construct? It's not the best attacker and isn't that good directly on curve into your commander, but it works really well with conniving and is still a 2/1 for 2 with no colour restrictions. You need to be careful with what you're pitching to it whilst conniving though, as a timely removal spell could lead to a blowout.
The mills of god grind slowly

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Vertierer wrote:
2 years ago
Have you thought about adding or at least trying Containment Construct? It's not the best attacker and isn't that good directly on curve into your commander, but it works really well with conniving and is still a 2/1 for 2 with no colour restrictions. You need to be careful with what you're pitching to it whilst conniving though, as a timely removal spell could lead to a blowout.
Great suggestion I didn't even know that was a card. Unfortunately I don't own one so.... will have to pick one of those up yet.

I am working on a few adjustments to the deck. I ended up doing some proxying today and plan to play the deck a bit today and tomorrow so I will get back and do some changes to the list after that. I think I am likely going to do some adjustments to some of the colorless mana production like Sol Ring and such as I don't think I put as much value in that after thinking about it more as it doesn't really fit my curve well so much as help in the T4+ plays. I could theoretically play it on turn 1 and play two twos or a one and a two on turn two but I just don't think that really makes sense so as odd as it is I think I am going to chuck Sol Ring and probably turn Mana Drain into something else.

I will try to come back and do some changes after I get a chance to do some test games with it and give some better feedback on what I have.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”