Vrondiss, Barbarian Diplomacy

Tryno
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Tryno » 2 years ago

Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by Tryno 2 years ago, edited 13 times in total.

Authored
CommanderIdentity
Erebos
Taii Wakeen
Magda
Sidar Jabari

Co-Authored
CommanderIdentity
Anje

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 years ago

Some random thoughts:

Flying Defense - I feel like you have no defense vs flying. I would say you are kind of an aggro deck but you don't look to be so fast that ignoring everything with flying seems to be all that viable. I think Ulvenwald Hydra is a very reasonable creature that can defend from flyers but it also can go get you Kessig Wolf Run and beat in with it if you want. Cavalier of Thorns is probably the other random creature with reach that seems like it just generically does reasonable things I could come up with. There are a few other random things with flying I could come up with flying / reach like Ruric Thar, the Unbowed, World Breaker, Silklash Spider, Whiptongue Hydra and Dragon Broodmother that could probably work as well but I felt like a lot of them were a little more of intentional adds in that they didn't necessarily just auto pay for themselves. Kodama of the East Tree does have an amusing interaction with tokens in that it lets you put lands into play on tokens ETB.

Dislike:
  • Anara, Wolvid Familiar - I hate this inclusion kind of a lot. I get that it can protect your commander from some of your own red sweepers but you don't actually have that many that will kill him. Also........ I don't know the rules but if she gets swept I think your commander will still have lethal damage on him and die.... hummm you might have to check on that one. I guess it might only really lend him to being able to do combat and I don't think its enough.
  • Honored Heirloom - Maybe its just me but you don't have a Soul-Guide Lantern in the list so I don't really love a bad mana stone that is also bad grave hate when you could run better grave hate or better ramp.
  • Eldrazi Monument - I dislike this from the standpoint that it doesn't seem like you have that many means of making chaff tokens. It feels like you sort of have your commander as a token producer and thats it. My point is that this card kind of only works if your commander has worked in making tokens and you are kind of setup in a positive way already. It feels a little winmore to me.
  • Momentous Fall - I haven't been impressed by Momentous Fall in a long time. I am not sure how much of this is anti theft / transform protection but I tend to prefer Life's Legacy even though I don't play it much either. Just voicing my displeasure in general with how fall has felt to me for some time. Having that four mana up feels like its really hard outside of a draw / go gameplan or some deck that plans to proactively cast it. I guess you might intend to proactively use it on a token but even then Life's Legacy does it for less mana without the small boost of lifegain.
  • Darksteel Ingot / Commander's Sphere I just..... don't love three mana ramp. Its been a long time since I have been happy with any of the three mana mana stones. You could have Gruul Signet / Mind Stone instead for instance.
Random Suggestions:
  • Toski, Bearer of Secrets - It gives you some more draw and it also makes not blocking your commander also awkward. Your commander takes five hits by default to kill players so just letting him go through rather than chumping him seems sort of viable the first few hits but this makes it more awkward either way. Same with the tokens he makes.
  • Klauth's Will - It will trigger the enrage of your commander and it also just does a freaking lot for the mana. I end up casting it for like X=2-3 quite a bit and it does a lot for the mana plus its an instant.
  • Green Sun's Zenith - Its a small mark up to get any of your green creatures to play. It is a little awkward that your entire top end currently isn't green but I think some of the reach creatures I mentioned would be helpful and GSZ increases your consistency. You could cut Honored Heirloom for GSZ which can get you both Scavenging Ooze and Sakura-Tribe Elder filling both of those roles still for the same mana while also being a wildcard for other things in your deck.
  • Boseiju, Who Endures - This card is insane.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 2 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
2 years ago
Dislike:
Anara, Wolvid Familiar - I hate this inclusion kind of a lot. I get that it can protect your commander from some of your own red sweepers but you don't actually have that many that will kill him. Also........ I don't know the rules but if she gets swept I think your commander will still have lethal damage on him and die.... hummm you might have to check on that one. I guess it might only really lend him to being able to do combat and I don't think its enough.
Just to confirm, you are correct on Anara's interaction with damage sweepers. Since Anara doesn't have indestructible in this list, she'll get destroyed due to lethal damage, and then your commander will follow immediately afterward since they'll no longer have indestructible either.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 2 years ago

Some red "sweepers" that might deal with board and don't kill Vrondiss, Rage of Ancients might be Sweltering Suns and Anger of the Gods

Tryno

Chopping Block
Anara, Wolvid Familiar
Guardian Augmenter
Darksteel Plate
Eldrazi Monument
So the above cards, I was planning to use to help abuse the commander even more and protect him. After some comments, and contemplation, I agree that these cards seem win-more. Meaning that in order for them to be good, I need to already be doing the thing I want to do. I also have enough ramp to not worry terrible about replaying my commander.

Honored Heirloom
Darksteel Ingot
I got a bit zealous on adding three mana ramp to the deck and included some ones I think are honestly, really bad.

Momentous Fall
Season of Growth
I am not a draw/go deck, so this is indeed awkward.
Last edited by Tryno 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Authored
CommanderIdentity
Erebos
Taii Wakeen
Magda
Sidar Jabari

Co-Authored
CommanderIdentity
Anje

Tryno

duducrash wrote:
2 years ago
Some red "sweepers" that might deal with board and don't kill Vrondiss, Rage of Ancients might be Sweltering Suns and Anger of the Gods
So I got to play a game recently against a lot of tokens, and I think you are 100% right.

Potential Adds
Anger of the Gods
Fiery Cannonade
Firespout*
Flame Sweep*
Pyroclasm
Volcanic Fallout*

*Most likely to get added.

Likely Cuts
Soul-Guide Lantern
Scrabbling Claws
Phyrexian Furnace

These cards were mostly filler, and while they were decent, I think the AoE is way better for me.

Changes
In Out

Authored
CommanderIdentity
Erebos
Taii Wakeen
Magda
Sidar Jabari

Co-Authored
CommanderIdentity
Anje

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic