NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Krishnath » 2 years ago

Looking good so far. I'll be judging them after I get out of bed on Monday, so you still have some time. But because I am in Europe, not *that* much time.
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 2 years ago

Night of the Dead 2BB
Enchantment (R)
If you would return a creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield, you may return an additional creature card that shares a creature type with it. If Night of the Dead has a doom counter on it, instead return each creature card that shares a creature type with it.
7B: Put a doom counter on Night of the Dead.

IIW: Dieselpunk, steampunk, and solarpunk

stille_nacht
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by stille_nacht » 2 years ago

Token Minority B
Creature - Human (U)
When a human you control would die, sacrifice Token Minority, regenerate that creature.

Whether killed first by an alien, well-groomed psychopath, or a guy in a scary mask, we certainly do liven up the poster.
1/1

IIW: Fantasy Architecture

Megiddo
MEG

Post by Megiddo » 2 years ago

A Baffling Lack of Common Sense B
Instant {U}
Choose target creature. Remove all counters that creature, then destroy all permanents attached to it.
"I definitely won't need this knife later."

IIW: Your entry into the next Club Flamingo Custom Cube
MEG

Phyrexian Editor

Post by Phyrexian Editor » 2 years ago

Creepy Little Harbinger Boy ubr
Creature - Human Wizard {R}
Demon, Devil, Horror, Spirit, and Vampire cards in your hand and Demon, Devil, Horror, Spirit, and Vampire creatures you control have Morph 3. (You may cast this face down as a 2/2 creature for 3. Turn it face up any time for its morph cost.)
1/1
"Retsnom eht semoc won..."

IIW: A single card using a mechanic that creates a new game piece (like the day/night tracker or the dungeon).

Krishnath
Mechanical Dragon

Post by Krishnath » 2 years ago

It is time...

*Opens up the TVTropes page on horror tropes*

Let's see here.

@NinjaCaterpie Winding Road//Lonesome Stalker is a good representation of the Vengeful Ghost trope. The Winding Way portion however feels a bit undercosted for an uncommon.

🎃🎃🎃

@Sporegorger_Dragon Dumb Teenagers, No Reception, Research the Legends, and Suspiciously Cheap Mansion, all feel like they are straight out of classic 70's and 80's horror movies. Although No Reception is a reference to modern mobile phones, it could just as easily have been named "Cut Land Line" and been perfect.

🎃🎃🎃🎃

@chetoos Unsuspecting Teen is the perfect representation of the first victim of a horror movie. It seems quite fine as an uncommon, and it is less annoying than the flagbearer mechanic (while obviously being inspired by it.)

🎃🎃🎃🎃

@Ink-Treader Eerie Groundskeeper is a classic horror trope, although rarely used (which is a good thing). Used most famously in the Shining, but has been used in both movies and literature both prior and after that. The card is a very good representation of the trope.

🎃🎃🎃🎃

@Juancu Final Girl is a great representation of the horror trope, although the power boost feels a little weak. But the point isn't really to kill/destroy the monster, it is just to survive. As for Razor Apples, that's not really a horror trope as much as an urban legend, and that wasn't what the challenge was, which pulls down your score.

🎃🎃🎃

@NinjaCaterpie redux. Know the Unknowable Ok, I am a sucker for Lovecraft references, and this is a major one. He was not the father of Cosmic Horror for nothing, and is as such a major contributor of the horror tropes related to that genre, including this one. The card itself is hilarious. You cast this, and you will mill yourself for 26, which fits perfectly within the trope of "Things man was not meant to know" driving you insane. It works well in sets with graveyard mechanics, but it is clearly intended for the commander crowd, and not standard. In the right deck it can even be used as a potential win con, which is a bonus.

🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃

@spacemonaut Night of the Dead is great, and a fun, but rarely used these days, trope. Only complaint I have, and it is a really minor one, is that the returned creatures don't get the zombie type and become black. But that is a minor nitpick and doesn't really affect the cards functionality.

🎃🎃🎃🎃🎃

@stille_nacht Token Minority is a good representation of an "unfortunate" trope that is fortunately becoming rarer and rarer. However, the card does a good job at representing said trope.

🎃🎃🎃🎃

@Megiddo A Baffling Lack of Common Sense is a surprisingly common trope, not just in horror, but also in other genres. I have one nitpick about the card itself. I don't see it being red at all. It would have been perfectly fine as a WB card, as it is, it'll be able to do something neither black nor red should be able to do on their own: Remove enchantments you control if they are attached to a creature. But the flavor is good.

🎃🎃🎃

@Phyrexian Editor Creepy Little Harbinger Boy is a classic, I would have liked to see it say "child" instead of "boy", as that would be more accurate to the trope, as the most famous example is the girl from the Poltergeist movie. That said, it's a fun build around me card, and I could really see this in a horror themed set.

🎃🎃🎃🎃

Well, it's time to select a winner, and it was close, really, really close.

The Greatest Ghoul of Them All: @spacemonaut for Night of the Dead
Necromancers, Serial Killers, and Vengeful Spirits: NinjaCaterpie, Sporegorger_Dragon, chetoos, Ink-Threader, stille_nacht, & Phyrexian Editor.

Next: Dieselpunk, steampunk, and solarpunk
Numquam evolutioni obstes. Solum conculceris.

Pascite draconem, evolvite aut morimini.

The Commander Legacy Project, Come say hello and give your thoughts.

Like to read? Love books and want to recommend one to your fellow forum users? Go here.

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 2 years ago

Bagora Heavy Rail 4
Artifact — Vehicle (U)
Trample
Whenever Bagora Heavy Rail enters the battlefield or deals combat damage to a player, create a Coal token. (It's an artifact with 1, t, Sacrifice this artifact: Add two mana in any any combination of colors.)
Crew 3
Sacrifice two other artifacts: Bagora Heavy Rail becomes an artifact creature until end of turn.
4/4

IIW: Djinns, genies, and efreeti
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 2 years ago

Aetherborn Fueler 2BB
Improvise 2
Whenever Aetherborn Fueler crews a vehicle, that vehicle gains menace until end of turn.
Sacrifice Aetherborn Fueler: Target vehicle becomes an artifact creature and gains menace until end of turn.
"They give everything they've got every day while they work on the trains." - Depala, Pilot Exemplar.
1/2

IIW: Ravnica: Harvest Feast

Juancu

Post by Juancu » 2 years ago

Rummage the Warehouse 2U
Sorcery
Create a Fuel artifact token. (It's an artifact with "Sacrifice this artifact: Reduce the next Crew cost you activate this turn by 1. When it's paid, scry 1.")
Draw two cards.

IIW: the pinnacle of its evolution

chetoos

@spacemonaut Judge? It's been a day.

Phyrexian Editor

Phyrexian Harvester 1
Artifact—Fortification {U}
Fortified land has "t, Pay 2 life, put a depletion counter on this land: Add two mana of any one color. Then, if this land has two or more depletion counters on it, sacrifice it."
Fortify 2 (2: Attach this Fortification to target land you control. Activate only as a sorcery.)

IIW: Decapitating the landed gentry

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Short round! That's OK. Thanks for the reminder chetoos.
Cythare wrote:
2 years ago
Bagora Heavy Rail 4
Artifact — Vehicle (U)
Trample
Whenever Bagora Heavy Rail enters the battlefield or deals combat damage to a player, create a Coal token. (It's an artifact with 1, t, Sacrifice this artifact: Add two mana in any any combination of colors.)
Crew 3
Sacrifice two other artifacts: Bagora Heavy Rail becomes an artifact creature until end of turn.
4/4

IIW: Djinns, genies, and efreeti
It's a steampunk card that can crew itself. Nice! With extra sources of Coal you can power it all day without creatures, or you can use that Coal to do other fun things, because that's a pretty nice token.

I see you pre-empted the galaxy-brain play of sacrificing Bagora Heavy Rail to animate itself, also.
chetoos wrote:
2 years ago
Aetherborn Fueler 2BB
Improvise 2
Whenever Aetherborn Fueler crews a vehicle, that vehicle gains menace until end of turn.
Sacrifice Aetherborn Fueler: Target vehicle becomes an artifact creature and gains menace until end of turn.
"They give everything they've got every day while they work on the trains." - Depala, Pilot Exemplar.
1/2

IIW: Ravnica: Harvest Feast
There's a type line missing here, but I can infer it's probably meant to be "Creature — Aetherborn Pilot". And golly, the thought of an aetherborn using itself up to crew a vehicle gives me some chills. That's very well-worded flavor text.
Juancu wrote:
2 years ago
Rummage the Warehouse 2U
Sorcery
Create a Fuel artifact token. (It's an artifact with "Sacrifice this artifact: Reduce the next Crew cost you activate this turn by 1. When it's paid, scry 1.")
Draw two cards.

IIW: the pinnacle of its evolution
I might reword the Fuel token as: "You may sacrifice this to pay 1 of a crew cost. When you do, scry 1." Now it's just a special rule, sorta like Giant Ox. But it's a good concept, and I'm just poking at templating here. Fuel helps you crew! Good!
Phyrexian Editor wrote:
2 years ago
Phyrexian Harvester 1
Artifact—Fortification {U}
Fortified land has "t, Pay 2 life, put a depletion counter on this land: Add two mana of any one color. Then, if this land has two or more depletion counters on it, sacrifice it."
Fortify 2 (2: Attach this Fortification to target land you control. Activate only as a sorcery.)

AAAAAAA

I mean, [cough], sorry, yes. This is very punk-ish for any of the punks I listed. And it's a Fortification, wow! And the type's thematically used, too. That there land is hecked.

WINNER: Cythare

NEXT: Djinns, genies, and efreeti

Juancu

Zasfajar, Reality Declarator 3UB
Legendary Creature - Djinn (R)
Flying
At the beginning of your first main phase, you may name a card and declare you'll cast it later this turn. Then target opponent doubts or accepts.
Doubts - At the beginning of the next upkeep, if you kept your word, draw two cards. Otherwise, that opponent draws a card.
Accepts - You may reveal your hand. If it doesn't contain a card with the declared name, search your library. While searching it, you may cast a spell with that name from your library. Shuffle afterwards.
I... Declare... Banefire!!!
3/6

IIW: Desert Power
Last edited by Juancu 2 years ago, edited 12 times in total.

chetoos

spacemonaut wrote:
2 years ago
There's a type line missing here, but I can infer it's probably meant to be "Creature — Aetherborn Pilot". And golly, the thought of an aetherborn using itself up to crew a vehicle gives me some chills. That's very well-worded flavor text.
Yes, I did mean to have that be the typeline, but I'm glad you were able to infer it. Oh well, better luck next time.

Djinn Djarin 2RW
Legendary Creature - Djinn Rogue
Equip abilities you activate that target Djinn Djarin cost 2 less to activate.
1/1 creatures you control have indestructible.
"He's the most dangerous bounty hunter I've ever had to face." Moff Geniean
3/3

IIW: Ravnica: Harvest Festival

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 2 years ago

Marrake, Sultan of the City of Brass 2RR
Legendary Creature - Efreet Noble
Haste
When you cast Marrake, Sultan of the City of Brass, create a token copy of City of Brass and put it into play tapped.
Whenever Marrake, Sultan of the City of Brass attacks, if you control an untapped City of Brass, you may gain control of gain control of target creature with power 3 or less for as long as City of Brass remains untapped.
Sacrifice a creature you control but don't own: Create a Gold token.
Ruler of the the City of Brass, capital of the Elemental plane of fire, Marrake, knew how to make a profit off other's backs.
3/4

IIW: The Forgotten Realms- the Planes Explored
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Megiddo
MEG

Blazing Efreet 1RR
Creature — Efreet {R}
Trample, haste
Whenever an opponent casts a red spell, that player gains control of Blazing Efreet. If it's that player's turn, untap it.
At the beginning of your end step, Blazing Efreet deals 2 damage to you.
5/4

IIW: Your entry into the next club flamingo custom cube
MEG

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 years ago

En Djinn
3ur
Artifact Creature - Djinn Pilot (R)
Flying
All Vehicles are artifact creatures.
3/5
"Vroom VROOM! VrrnnnnnNNNNNNNN..."

IIW: Tarkir Ultimatums (eg the Jeskai Ultimatum is wwuuurr)
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Megiddo
MEG

Billowing Djinn 1UU
Creature — Djinn {R}
Flying
Whenever an opponent casts a blue spell, that player gains control of Billowing Djinn. If it's your turn, tap it.
At the beginning of your upkeep, draw a card.
3/4

MEG

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 2 years ago

Springbreeze Evoker 2UG
Creature - Djinn Druid (U)
Vigilance
When Springbreeze Evoker enters the battlefield, untap each creature you control and, if Springbreeze Evoker was cast from your hand, untap up to X target lands, where X is the number of Djinn and/or Elementals you control.
She brings respite from winter's chill.
3/4

IIW: Colored cards with C

Phyrexian Editor

Djinn Tonic r
Instant {U}
Kicker—Sacrifice a food.
Target creature you control gets +3/+0 and gains first strike until end of turn. If Djinn Tonic wasn't kicked, it deals 2 damage to that creature.
"Always clean your plate
Before you libate
That old efreet-a-margarita" -Rabiah drinking song

Last edited by Phyrexian Editor 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Juancu

I feel self-conscious, why must it say how many times I edited my post?

Efreeti Burst R
Instant
Cleave R
Efreeti Burst deals [1]2 damage to any target.
"If you face an efreet, a good insult can rile them into losing focus, but never go so far as to completely inflame them."
Last edited by Juancu 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.

Ulka

Raider of the Dismal Delve 3RB
Creature - Dao Warrior
Menace, Greedy (This creature must attack a player that control a treasure token each turn if able)
When Raider of the Dismal Delve enters the battlefield, gain control of target creature an opponent controls. Any player may have you create three treasure tokens. If a player does, they gain control of that creature instead.
3/5

Ulka

Djinn Chainbreaker 1WU
Creature - Djinn (R)
Flying
When Djinn Chainbreaker enters the battlefield choose one:
Freedom - Each player gains control of all creature that player owns.
Riches - You create two Treasure Tokens.
2/2

Marid Manic 2UG
Creature - Marid Shaman
Flying
Whenever you discard a card, you may scry 1.
1U: Draw a card then discard a card.
2/4

Cythare
Say You'll Dismember Me

Post by Cythare » 2 years ago

Juancu wrote:
2 years ago
Zasfajar, Reality Declarator 3UB
Legendary Creature - Djinn (R)
Flying
At the beginning of your first main phase, you may name a card and declare you'll cast it later this turn. Then target opponent doubts or accepts.
Doubts - At the beginning of the next upkeep, if you kept your word, draw two cards. Otherwise, that opponent draws a card.
Accepts - You may reveal your hand. If it doesn't contain a card with the declared name, search your library. While searching it, you may cast a spell with that name from your library. Shuffle afterwards.
I... Declare... Banefire!!!
3/6

IIW: Desert Power
This is weird, and honestly sorta hard to parse? The variance on Accepts seems way too high, since it's basically a telegraphed Demonic Tutor. I think that side needs more tuning. Doubts is fine, and I think that this card is probably fine with just that side. The tutor also makes this feel much more like a mythic. Maybe if you lost life equal to the spell's mana value when you cast it, it would bring that side down a peg.
chetoos wrote:
2 years ago
spacemonaut wrote:
2 years ago
Yes, I did mean to have that be the typeline, but I'm glad you were able to infer it. Oh well, better luck next time.

Djinn Djarin 2RW
Legendary Creature - Djinn Rogue
Equip abilities you activate that target Djinn Djarin cost 2 less to activate.
1/1 creatures you control have indestructible.
"He's the most dangerous bounty hunter I've ever had to face." Moff Geniean
3/3

IIW: Ravnica: Harvest Festival
I had to check the reference on this, since I only actually watched the first episode of The Mandalorian (wife didn't like it as much, haven't circled back solo yet). The abilities definitely fit the theme, but they don't feel cohesive out of context. Seems like a great card for a Universes Beyond product, though!
Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
Marrake, Sultan of the City of Brass 2RR
Legendary Creature - Efreet Noble
Haste
When you cast Marrake, Sultan of the City of Brass, create a token copy of City of Brass and put it into play tapped.
Whenever Marrake, Sultan of the City of Brass attacks, if you control an untapped City of Brass, you may gain control of gain control of target creature with power 3 or less for as long as City of Brass remains untapped.
Sacrifice a creature you control but don't own: Create a Gold token.
Ruler of the the City of Brass, capital of the Elemental plane of fire, Marrake, knew how to make a profit off other's backs.
3/4

I feel like this should just use the Arena wording of "When you cast Marrake, Sultan of the City of Brass, conjure a card named City of Brass onto the battlefield tapped." Otherwise, this is quite strong, but probably fine? The ability to repeatedly steal creatures at the cost of not using a land that didn't eat up your land drop seems pretty high, and also the wording is sorta unclear if the specific City of Brass has to remain untapped as opposed to others you may play (I'd assume as long as one City is untapped, you're fine, but the wording implies otherwise).
Megiddo wrote:
2 years ago
Blazing Efreet 1RR
Creature — Efreet {R}
Trample, haste
Whenever an opponent casts a red spell, that player gains control of Blazing Efreet. If it's that player's turn, untap it.
At the beginning of your end step, Blazing Efreet deals 2 damage to you.
5/4

I sort of wish that this prohibited casting spells in-combat for the annoyance of it being removed from combat, but I'm guessing that's part of the design. Otherwise, I like the odd hot potato game this ends up playing.
Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
2 years ago
En Djinn
3ur
Artifact Creature - Djinn Pilot (R)
Flying
All Vehicles are artifact creatures.
3/5
"Vroom VROOM! VrrnnnnnNNNNNNNN..."

IIW: Tarkir Ultimatums (eg the Jeskai Ultimatum is wwuuurr)
This is quite strong, I think? I'm not sure if that's offset by the narrowness of the card, but it's a cool effect with an apt name.
Megiddo wrote:
2 years ago
Billowing Djinn 1UU
Creature — Djinn {R}
Flying
Whenever an opponent casts a blue spell, that player gains control of Billowing Djinn. If it's your turn, tap it.
At the beginning of your upkeep, draw a card.
3/4

I like drawing cards, but I think I like the red one more. The incentive is less interesting than your life total being whittled down slowly. Still a fun game to play with your opponent if you're both on blue.
Ink-Treader wrote:
2 years ago
Springbreeze Evoker 2UG
Creature - Djinn Druid (U)
Vigilance
When Springbreeze Evoker enters the battlefield, untap each creature you control and, if Springbreeze Evoker was cast from your hand, untap up to X target lands, where X is the number of Djinn and/or Elementals you control.
She brings respite from winter's chill.
3/4

IIW: Colored cards with C
I really don't like effects that are in the vein of the Urza's block free spells, and this is very close to that, since you probably aren't playing this without other Djinn/Elementals. The tempo gains here on a 3/4 vigilance are pretty huge, and it feels inappropriate to me at uncommon, although likely unexciting at higher rarities.
Phyrexian Editor wrote:
2 years ago
Djinn Tonic r
Instant {U}
Kicker—Sacrifice a food.
Target creature you control gets +3/+0 and gains first strike until end of turn. If Djinn Tonic wasn't kicked, it deals 2 damage to that creature.
"Always clean your plate
Before you libate
That old efreet-a-margarita" -Rabiah drinking song

I chuckled at the pun, and like that it has different playstyle options. Functioning as a removal spell or a combat trick to save your creature is cool, and for creatures with 3+ toughness, you can generally disregard the sacrifice, since it's not trading with the stat increase it's getting.
Juancu wrote:
2 years ago
I feel self-conscious, why must it say how many times I edited my post?

Efreeti Spark 9R
Instant
Cleave R
Efreeti Spark deals 1[3] damage to any target.
"If you face an efreet, a good insult can rile them into losing focus, but never go so far as to completely inflame them."
This was a good chuckle. I assume this is an uncommon, or maybe a common?
Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
Raider of the Dismal Delve 3RB
Creature - Dao Warrior
Menace, Greedy (This creature must attack a player that control a treasure token each turn if able)
When Raider of the Dismal Delve enters the battlefield, gain control of target creature an opponent controls. Any player may have you create three treasure tokens. If a player does, they gain control of that creature instead.
3/5

I'm not sure about greedy as a named mechanic - this feels more like an AFR flavor word setup. If you're playing multiplayer, I assume that you can end up with like 6 or 9 treasures and the creature just gets quickly passed around in turn order?

Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
Djinn Chainbreaker 1WU
Creature - Djinn (R)
Flying
When Djinn Chainbreaker enters the battlefield choose one:
Freedom - Each player gains control of all creature that player owns.
Riches - You create two Treasure Tokens.
2/2

Marid Manic 2UG
Creature - Marid Shaman
Flying
Whenever you discard a card, you may scry 1.
1U: Draw a card then discard a card.
2/4

Riches doesn't feel white-blue, but that's fine. I'd prefer if it created a treasure and drew a card, but otherwise it's cool. Freedom will be niche but cool when relevant.

Marid Manic doesn't feel green? This could be monoblue or Dimir.

HMs: Ulka for Marrake, chetoos for Djinn Djarin
Winner: Megiddo for Blazing Efreet
Next: Your entry into the next club flamingo custom cube
Level 2 Judge circa 2016
Draft my cube! (630 cards)

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

@Megiddo does this custom cube challenge have some background or context we should know about?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”