[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Rishkar, Peema Renegade

umtiger
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by umtiger » 3 years ago

BeneTleilax wrote:
3 years ago
umtiger wrote:
3 years ago
You get a huge hard to counter effect but have to pay 10, 11, or 15.
You say that is if you're talking about a format without and absurd amount of ramp.
umtiger wrote:
3 years ago
By the way, Urza's Incubator was expensive before COVID. It didn't increase because of COVID. Tribal has been an easy theme to for WOTC to peddle. Can't blame sharks for everything. Casual cards have lots of appeal.
It was around 10 and doubled because COVID. I don't know why you want to defend sharks.
I don't know what EDH you play. But you say that as if you know everything about every EDH game that everyone else plays.

Ramping is easy in edh but that doesn't mean spending 10, 11, 15 naked carries no risk. Counterspells are strong in commander. Blue mages get to play Spelljack in a battlecruiser environment. And Mana Drain is legal. Like I said, I think cast triggers is a good way to balance it out for the Timmies out there who get wrecked by a counter.

MtGoldfish says incubator was $10 two years ago. Most players had access to it two years ago. And how many players who complain about current price also could have bought it four years ago for $5? And now it's what, $20? We're going to complain about that?

I don't support hoarding or price manipulation. But I also don't like people complaining about price in a casual format. Even worse when it's a card that's affordable and accessible like incubator. It didn't double because of manipulation. People legit want copies to play with. If you want one, just get one.

BeneTleilax
Pronoun: he / him

Post by BeneTleilax » 3 years ago

umtiger wrote:
3 years ago
Ramping is easy in edh but that doesn't mean spending 10, 11, 15 naked carries no risk. Counterspells are strong in commander. Blue mages get to play Spelljack in a battlecruiser environment. And Mana Drain is legal. Like I said, I think cast triggers is a good way to balance it out for the Timmies out there who get wrecked by a counter.
Artisan is cool, the Ulamogs are cool, Kozilek, Butcher of Truth is a little on the strong side, but fine. You seem to be arguing for an Emrakul unban without actually saying that though, and that's where I draw the line. Uninteractible time walks are not my idea of a good time.

As for Incubator, a couple people grumbled a bit about a good card doubling in price. I don't know why you're making this your hill to die on.

Yatsufusa

Post by Yatsufusa » 3 years ago

I would consider Artisan of Kozilek the poster child of advertising the battlecruiser-aspect of the format during its early days. Sure, the titans (and probably It That Betrays) are deadlier but the simple reanimate effect on-cast likely bringing back another bomb was just the *battlecruiser chef's kiss* compared to destroying 1 permanent, drawing 4 cards or even taking an extra turn (I know Emmy is banned, just comparing).

I collect foil colorless Eldrazi and the Eldrazi were the reason I leapt into the format with Animar. Their reputation were more or less tarnished during BFZ mismanagement, but I still have nothing for praise for our blind-eternities Cthulhus. Rise of the Eldrazi forever remains "that one unique Limited Environment" I won't forget and probably the closest thing to the old-era battlecruiser EDH in Limited form. Even I did feel they were tad overloaded in BFZ and OGW I still enjoyed seeing them and SOI was pretty good for splicing the Emrakul lineage onto DFCs.

That being said while I still enjoy their flavor post TWD-severance, in practice Animar gets so many shiny new battlecruiser options each set eventually I officiated only 3 slots in the deck for Eldrazi (actually it's the other way round to honor them they get 3 slots reserved everyone else has to fight each other for the other slots). Ulamog gets one slot and Kozilek one, the third goes to a non-Titan. Artisan of Kozilek is in the binder reserves for that slot now because I'm still having more fun with Void Winnower just distorting games at the moment, but I could easily swap back to some good ol' reanimation if I wanted to. It may be out of the deck proper for extended periods, but I think it's safe to say I will never let it go from the larger reserve pile.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 3 years ago

Monday, February 8th, 2021; Maddening Cacophony

Wow. This is....dangerous.
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 3 years ago

Mill allready is a feel-bad mechanic for more casual games. I really don't know, why we "need" stuff like that. But yeah, strong card, I guess?

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

Man I frigging love it when people mill me with most of my decks :P

One time someone Traumatize'd my Gitrog deck and didn't hit a titan. I won.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

I think people get too bent out of shape about mill. This card, though, seems crazy when it Traumatizes all opponents, not just one, for just one more .
Last edited by RxPhantom 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

Mill spells like this don't do it for me. They don't impact the board and they fuel graveyard synergies.

My Phenax, God of Deception deck doesn't play any mill spells. I am also very careful about who I hit with incidental mill as the game develops.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 3 years ago

I like it and if I had a dedicated mill deck it would be considering it at least.

I always think it is odd that people get bent out of shape over being milled too. Any card that gets milled could easily have been at the bottom of your deck and you wouldn't likely have seen it in that case.

If your deck is built around one card and it happens to get milled, I would hope you include multiple redundancy factors and regrowth effects since you'd be in the same situation if it were countered or destroyed.

If anything, when you see cards milled it gives you more information on what you are now more likely to draw.

Also, I am now missing my Odyssey/Onslaught standard deck that ran Traumatize + Haunting Echoes. That was a beating.

pokken

RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
I think people get too bent out of shape about mill. This card, though, seems crazy when it Traumatizes all opponents, not just one, for the same cost.
6 is a pretty stupid rate for everyone mill half. But it probably should say "4uu lose the game" unless you have a pretty sick followup. *someone* is gonna go nuts with half their library in the bin, and if not everyone is gonna be after you.

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 3 years ago

I would probably make sure to have something like Leyline of the Void or Planar Void in play if I were to use this card also. Like the above post says, there is a good chance someone will benefit from it otherwise.

3drinks

It's commander's worst-kept secret that the graveyard is just a second hand, which is just one reason why no one gets mad at Anvil of Bogardan. We all should play more Anvil though.
RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
I think people get too bent out of shape about mill. This card, though, seems crazy when it Traumatizes all opponents, not just one, for just one more .
Not even one more u, it's just 1 more.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 3 years ago

We house-ruled that you cannot play cards that auto-combo with your general. So none of this in Bruvac the Grandiloquent or Blood Tribute/Vito, Thorn of the Dusk Rose.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 3 years ago

I think a lot of casual groups banned that sort of thing in '06 after Curious Niv decks took off..

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

Yet Food Chain Prossh, Skyraider of Kher was a thing that I had to contend with forever.

It's tough I guess to make a rule that you cannot play cards that combo with your general. Because some cards combo with the general + a sac outlet, or + a creature or artifact or something.

That's where Banned as Commander could be useful.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

onering
Answers: 1

Post by onering » 3 years ago

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
RxPhantom wrote:
3 years ago
I think people get too bent out of shape about mill. This card, though, seems crazy when it Traumatizes all opponents, not just one, for the same cost.
6 is a pretty stupid rate for everyone mill half. But it probably should say "4uu lose the game" unless you have a pretty sick followup. *someone* is gonna go nuts with half their library in the bin, and if not everyone is gonna be after you.
People play opponent mill without hard gy hate or a way to steal the combo out of an opponent's yard?

pokken

onering wrote:
3 years ago
People play opponent mill without hard gy hate or a way to steal the combo out of an opponent's yard?
In my experience, yes?

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 3 years ago

I mean, you're playing a 99 card deck, you don't always draw that stupid broken Bojuka Bog =P good thing too

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

Most of my decks want to be milled, and the ones that don't still have enough recursion that milling them is often a poor idea. So yeah, I'll generally welcome my opponents casting Maddening Cacophony. Unfortunately, even when I'm actually playing against a mill deck, they still seem hesitant to mill me. Such a pity.... That said, I assume this will usually be used alongside Bruvac the Grandiloquent, Keening Stone, or another way to finish people off.... and if not, then there should at least be a lot of grave hate in its caster's deck.

....mill effects generally don't bug me due to how much recursion I run, but I will concede that exiling mill effects do sort of annoy me due to shutting off recursion. I will concede the importance of exile and grave hate to keep graveyard shenanigans in check though.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 3 years ago

pokken wrote:
3 years ago
onering wrote:
3 years ago
In my experience, yes?
Well, there's also Bloodchief Ascension. Mill 8 means 16 damage, but the real star is tell me more about your mother...
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 3 years ago

One of the strongest mill spells of all time - I'd say significantly stronger than Traumatize when kicked (all players) and than Mind Sculpt when not kicked; getting it on an effective "Split card" is very powerful for sure. This is the de facto best single-shot mill card in MtG (with only the very different Tunnel Vision as a competitor imo), and a strong contender even compared to powerful repeated milling effects like Sphinx's Tutelage, Fraying Sanity, and Grindstone.

But Mill is like poison - a universally despised alt win condition that you're either all-in on or ignoring. Mill is even worse than poison, because we're in a 100-card format and may decks WANT to be milled. That means if you really want to run this, you're either very casual (in which case prepare to be murdered for ruining your fellow casual's play experience by trashing their precious dragon-filled library), or you are looking to break the symmetry with Planar Void et al or instantly kill people with this + Bruvac the Grandiloquent. Unlike other popular mill spells, you can't Cacophony yourself for #value in a self-mill deck, leaving this as the best in class at what it does - which is a very narrow band of decks.

knight_seb

Post by knight_seb » 3 years ago

Maddening Cacophony has made an great impact in my Mimeoplasm deck as it uses only opponent's graveyards (and sometimes library). I don't play self mill cards at all and nearly never use my own graveyard even if Muldrotha, the Gravetide and Tasigur, the Golden Fang are part of the 99.

3drinks

Tuesday, February 9th, 2021; Wasitora, Nekoru Queen

I wish we saw this more. it's interesting but not in that over-representative way that is food chain prossh.
SPOILER
Show
Hide

Awww, aren't they just the cutest little babies ever?

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 3 years ago

3drinks wrote:
3 years ago
Tuesday, February 9th, 2021; Wasitora, Nekoru Queen

I wish we saw this more. it's interesting but not in that over-representative way that is food chain prossh.
SPOILER
Show
Hide

Awww, aren't they just the cutest little babies ever?
Classic example of an interesting designed being nerfed by a need to attack. I also despise the idea of "cat dragons", the flavor is somewhere between nonexistent to staggeringly moronic. I get that this is based off some old lore and there's probably some ass-backwards explanation for this creature typing, but I don't play magic for cats and dogs, nor do I want that flavor mixed with honest fantasy tropes like dragons.

So yeah, call me a square if you must, but this stupid thing deserves every mililiter of the obscurity it possesses.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 3 years ago

This commander just seems a little underpowered for the colors. Triggers on combat damage, which opponents already try to avoid from commanders, and cannot clear it's own way of larger flyers because the sacrifice is after damage. It can help slow down decks that rely on just a couple creatures at a time as a board presence. The 3/3 cat dragon is an alright consolation prize if you don't have an opponent with creatures to pick on.

Might be good as a voltrol commander, but Prossh, Skyraider of Kher just does it better with the self pump. Maybe as a control commander due to the sacrifice trigger, but you need to get into combat to get it. Lord Windgrace nukes 6 permanents after a couple upticks. Nice open ended commander for a theme deck or something possibly. Though there are better Dragon commanders in Jund as well. Anyone still using Karrthus, Tyrant of Jund these days?

I think she gets lost in the sea of other Jund commanders these days.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”