Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

Decklist

Enchantments

Utility Artifacts

Counterspells

Approximate Total Cost:

Inspired by recent events, figured I'd post a no frills decklist that I have just begun working on. The theme is to be the most odd deck ever made. (Because... well you get it.) There are three legendary creatures I start the game with access to. An odd number. There are 101 cards available to me at the start of the game. The deck is a 3 color deck. The total combined mana value of my commanders and companion is 13.

So basically the deck combines one of my favorite partner pairings with Obosh to hopefully make a more thematic and slightly less powerful and more fun version of a Grixis controlling burn deck. Obviously, there no even mv cards in the deck, so kiss the signets and such goodbye. The deck aims to be splashy and goofy rather than streamlined and competitive, and the goal is to make memorable moments and crack endless odd jokes at the table.
Last edited by Venedrex 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

Tags:

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Crackle with Power has odd CMC on the stack when the value of X is odd. Obosh makes the card good enough to fire at one target at 3RR and just about game-ending at 9RR. Never mind that - your X burn has to have an odd number of colored mana symbols, sadly. I would love to have recommended Crackle to you with a maindecked Obosh, but alas.

Still, there are X spells that are more than worth considering. Subterranean Tremors, Red Sun's Zenith... Crater's Claws could be surprisingly efficient.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 1 year ago

The card which seems to me as most off-theme is Metallurgic Summonings, because the tokens that it makes have an even MV. The oddest exclusion to me is Void Winnower, as it only allows the odd cards. It might be overbearing for the types of games you're looking for, so I am partially sarcastic on both of these cards.

I have been brainstorming a partners + companion deck off and on since Ikoria, so I am glad to see a list in the colors and companion that I was thinking about. I was looking at a flash+ instant subtheme and play more control in my case due to the limited ramp options, and a different strategy is interesting.

Side note: a couple of cards that flip coins and roll dice would open the excellent strategy of "what are the odds?" jokes. The best form interaction is making your opponents groan at puns. While Mana Crypt is out for MV reasons (It is funny that it does not cost enough...mana), something like Diviner's Portent could work.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?

void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
Crackle with Power has odd CMC on the stack when the value of X is odd. Obosh makes the card good enough to fire at one target at 3RR and just about game-ending at 9RR. Never mind that - your X burn has to have an odd number of colored mana symbols, sadly. I would love to have recommended Crackle to you with a maindecked Obosh, but alas.

Still, there are X spells that are more than worth considering. Subterranean Tremors, Red Sun's Zenith... Crater's Claws could be surprisingly efficient.
Oh yeah those sound great. Doming people for a bazillion seems like a lot of fun with Obosh and one of these X spells.

Venedrex

Crazy Monkey wrote:
1 year ago
The card which seems to me as most off-theme is Metallurgic Summonings, because the tokens that it makes have an even MV. The oddest exclusion to me is Void Winnower, as it only allows the odd cards. It might be overbearing for the types of games you're looking for, so I am partially sarcastic on both of these cards.

I have been brainstorming a partners + companion deck off and on since Ikoria, so I am glad to see a list in the colors and companion that I was thinking about. I was looking at a flash+ instant subtheme and play more control in my case due to the limited ramp options, and a different strategy is interesting.

Side note: a couple of cards that flip coins and roll dice would open the excellent strategy of "what are the odds?" jokes. The best form interaction is making your opponents groan at puns. While Mana Crypt is out for MV reasons (It is funny that it does not cost enough...mana), something like Diviner's Portent could work.
Thanks for the input. Yeah, Void Winnower is a card that makes a ton of sense in this deck, and you pretty much nailed my thought process on it. I don't dislike the card myself, but I've heard it can be salt-inducing so I'm debating putting it in. It is perfect flavor and mechanics for this deck though. Maybe I'll give it a shot and take it out if it causes too many groans.

Good point about Summonings, I hadn't even thought about that. I could definitely swap it out for another card.

I also like the idea of the die roll and coin flip cards, they do add a great bit of fun like you said with the surprise and excitement factor. One of my favorite parts about this deck is rolling a d6 for Vial Smasher, so I like the idea of adding more rolling to the deck.

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 1 year ago

This is definitely a very cool deck idea! Something I would enjoy putting together for sure.

Galvanoth could be a home for him especially if you have any topdeck manipulation going on. I think finding more ways to cast that first big spell for free would be nice. Having trouble finding much though.

Basilisk Collar on Vial Smasher the Fierce is hilarious!

Dig Through Time and Treasure Cruise are probably a solid includes since you should rarely actually be paying their mana value. You could look at some similar cards with delve.

I would probably include more draw spells in general. Something like Nezahal, Primal Tide might a good fit, idk... especially if you are against slotting in Rhystic Study. There's Mystic Remora and Insight of course.

I would personally use more of the treasure rituals since you can copy and recur them. They tend to be less dead later in the game. Seize the Spotlight and Spiteful Repossession.

Lier, Disciple of the Drowned?

Veyran, Voice of Duality will double up your triggers. Double Vision. I'm sure how much these are win-more cards though.

Sunbird's Invocation seems solid though with the high mana value spells. There's also Shark Typhoon

Cruel Ultimatum hehehe

In Garruk's Wake
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

Venedrex

RowanKeltizar wrote:
1 year ago
This is definitely a very cool deck idea! Something I would enjoy putting together for sure.

Galvanoth could be a home for him especially if you have any topdeck manipulation going on. I think finding more ways to cast that first big spell for free would be nice. Having trouble finding much though.

Basilisk Collar on Vial Smasher the Fierce is hilarious!

Dig Through Time and Treasure Cruise are probably a solid includes since you should rarely actually be paying their mana value. You could look at some similar cards with delve.

I would probably include more draw spells in general. Something like Nezahal, Primal Tide might a good fit, idk... especially if you are against slotting in Rhystic Study. There's Mystic Remora and Insight of course.

I would personally use more of the treasure rituals since you can copy and recur them. They tend to be less dead later in the game. Seize the Spotlight and Spiteful Repossession.

Lier, Disciple of the Drowned?

Veyran, Voice of Duality will double up your triggers. Double Vision. I'm sure how much these are win-more cards though.

Sunbird's Invocation seems solid though with the high mana value spells. There's also Shark Typhoon

Cruel Ultimatum hehehe

In Garruk's Wake
Thanks for the suggestions!

Galvanoth is pretty sweet tech indeed! Lier, Disciple of the Drowned is also a good suggestion it puts in a lot of work for sure.

Nezahal, Primal Tide is neat as well, I definetely will be picking up a copy, and I've been mulling adding both Cruel Ultimatum and In Garruk's Wake

I'm not sure if you were approving of Basilisk Collar it being in the deck or suggesting it, but if it was being suggested it is in the deck.

As far as Sunbird's Invocation, Treasure Cruise, Dig Through Time, and Shark Typhoon, the deck does have Obosh as companion meaning these cards, although fantastic in the deck otherwise, cannot be run.

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 1 year ago

Venedrex wrote:
1 year ago
As far as Sunbird's Invocation, Treasure Cruise, Dig Through Time, and Shark Typhoon, the deck does have Obosh as companion meaning these cards, although fantastic in the deck otherwise, cannot be run.
Wow, I can't do basic math I guess. I was just looking at the colorless component. Hadn't had enough coffee yet!
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic