Ezuri, Claw of Progress - Simic +1/+1 Counter Aggro

BlackbirdPlaysMTG
Lost but seeking
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by BlackbirdPlaysMTG » 2 years ago

Table of Contents

A Short Introduction

Back in 2015 I finally got into commander and after borrowing decks from people for a few nights I decided to buy my first precon. The guy running the store asked me what kind of gameplay I enjoy and I answered: "I enjoy playing creatures, especially big ones!". He told me that the "Swell the Host" precon was creature-centered and that I might enjoy it. The precon is centered around Simic Phyrexian commander Ezuri, Claw of Progress. The goal of the deck is to play small creatures for which Ezuri rewards you with experience counters - experience is the overarching theme of the C15 precons. This experience is then used by Ezuri to turn your small harmless critters into big beatsticks by placing +1/+1 counters on them. Maybe not the strongest gameplan, but I think Ezuri, Claw of Progress is fun to play and the deck can be very toolboxy if you choose to build it that way. I was a reasonably skilled Standard player back in 2015, but my commander deckbuilding skills weren't quite up to standards yet. My first few decks, including the modified Ezuri precon, were not a great succes. The decks were either too slow or just too finnicky. I traded a lot of cards from the precon away and Ezuri himself was put into a binder for a while. When I got better at deckbuilding I really wanted to make Ezuri work.

The list below is something I play in my LGS every now and then - it is a decklist that I update every so often. I sometimes take the deck apart and then put it back together when I am in the mood again for some aggressive Simic gameplay. I decided to design a budget list of the deck as well - I want to include another budget deck in my roster, so that I have something I can pull out when facing upgraded precons and decks on a budget. The budget list is also great for lending out to new players - it is intuitive and holds up pretty well even against more modern commanders. The biggest changes I made in the budget list compared to the 'normal' variant are the exclusion of Sage of Hours (deemed it too cheesy) and cutting back on tutors (to decrease the cost of the deck and make it new-player friendly).

Decklist & Budget Variant

Approximate Total Cost:

Ezuri, Claw of Progress - <€100 Budget Decklist

Tutor (3)

Approximate Total Cost:

*****Credit for this Primer Template belongs to all members of the Primer Committee*****
Last edited by BlackbirdPlaysMTG 1 month ago, edited 8 times in total.

Tags:

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

Have you ever considered Evolutionary Escalation? It creates one hell of a two horse race, and with your existing synergies, one you can't lose. 3 counters per turn is absurd, and because you're in blue, you can always bounce away any unfriendliness that grows out of hand or just outgrow it. It's basically a backup Ezuri in fail cases or a firehose of additional fuel for Sage, Fathom Mage, Ballista, and the rest of the usual offenders when you're winning. How that for cool tech?
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Leaflitter

Post by Leaflitter » 1 year ago

I have been getting back into Ezuri too.

Here is my current list. My meta and play group are more high level casual players. So I left out Sage. But also I really like having a big beater deck. This is my kind of "big" creature deck.

I also like the fun toolboxieness that the deck can have. Along with how many cards I can draw in a turn. Some times I think about adding back in Lab Man because I can go through the deck so fast in the late game. Or something that lets me cycle my graveyard back in. There are so many options really.

Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

BlackbirdPlaysMTG
Lost but seeking

Post by BlackbirdPlaysMTG » 1 month ago

I cleaned up this thread and am planning to update both the normal and budget decklist from time to time :). Somehow I always come back to Newzuri. He was my first, after all.
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
Have you ever considered Evolutionary Escalation? It creates one hell of a two horse race, and with your existing synergies, one you can't lose. 3 counters per turn is absurd, and because you're in blue, you can always bounce away any unfriendliness that grows out of hand or just outgrow it. It's basically a backup Ezuri in fail cases or a firehose of additional fuel for Sage, Fathom Mage, Ballista, and the rest of the usual offenders when you're winning. How that for cool tech?
A very, very late reply as I completely forgot about the existence of this thread :?. Never ever have I seen this card before. Evolutionary Escalation seems pretty solid at first glance. Has good synergy with the creatures that really like their +1/+1 counters, comes down for just two mana and my creatures will probably be bigger than anything anything my opponents have (so I sort of break parity on it?). If only it was a creature though. Might give it a try in the budget version of the deck, thanks for the suggestion!
Leaflitter wrote:
1 year ago
I have been getting back into Ezuri too.

Here is my current list. My meta and play group are more high level casual players. So I left out Sage. But also I really like having a big beater deck. This is my kind of "big" creature deck.
I can totally understand why you are not playing Sage of Hours - it's cheesy. Left it out of the budget variant for that reason. The standard version of the deck does play it, but my opponents generally play enough interaction to have a chance at stopping the combo. If not, well... all is fair in love and war.
I also like the fun toolboxieness that the deck can have. Along with how many cards I can draw in a turn. Some times I think about adding back in Lab Man because I can go through the deck so fast in the late game. Or something that lets me cycle my graveyard back in. There are so many options really.
Yeah, the toolboxy quality of Ezuri is fun and if you have the right stuff on the board you can draw a lot of cards! I think drawing cards is pretty important for this type of deck, as your cards are individually not as impactful or powerful compared to cards your opponents might play. Nice list, I see that you kept your curve quite low as well. I think that is probably the best way to build Ezuri. You could also go for a bigger more general goodstuff +1/+1 counter build, but I think that takes away too much from the theme. Might as well go all-in on casting critters.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”