Rionya - Red Spellslinger

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 years ago

Well, running out the door here in a sec so real quick posting an idea I had. I contemplated going deeper into some of the spellslinger concepts but some of the challenge with it was that it felt like it required a lot more setup to try to make something like say Guttersnipe work considering I wanted to cast spells before combat to make copies then try to spam more spells after combat too. I decided to go a little simpler so it feels a little ETBish because a lot of them are relatively fine cards on their own.

Its a bit rough and untested but I felt like the idea was there enough that I should post and see if anyone had any ideas. I considered going deeper on some concepts like extra combats and spell casting mana generation but I felt ultimately like they were kind of winmore cards that sucked when everything wasn't fireing right. I cut back on a lot of that given that I needed good creatures, my commander, and then weird specific things to work out.

Decklist

COMMANDER (1)

ENCHANTMENT (2)

PLANESWALKER

Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by ISBPathfinder 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Tags:

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 2 years ago

Jesus, i didnt even know Rionya, Fire Dancer exists... but she sure looks like a lot of fun!

As a seasoned Zada, Hedron Grinder player Kari Zev's Expertise seems like a great way to both increase your storm count siginficantly and give you fun copy options you wouldn't normally have access to.
In a similar fashion Traitorous Greed can work wonders.
Don't forget about Twinflame as a second Heat Shimmer type effect. Also Battle Hymn seems stricly nuts for post combat situations!

In never had a Sundial of the Infinite deck, but this would be one for it.

Gamazson

Post by Gamazson » 2 years ago

This feels like a Sneak Attack kind of deck. The creatures you want to copy have a high CMC that do not leave a lot of mana for your instants an sorceries.

*edit* I just noticed the Conjurer's Closet in your list. If I am not mistaken, you can use that to blink your creature before you have to sac it.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Toshi wrote:
2 years ago
Jesus, i didnt even know Rionya, Fire Dancer exists... but she sure looks like a lot of fun!

As a seasoned Zada, Hedron Grinder player Kari Zev's Expertise seems like a great way to both increase your storm count siginficantly and give you fun copy options you wouldn't normally have access to.
In a similar fashion Traitorous Greed can work wonders.
Don't forget about Twinflame as a second Heat Shimmer type effect. Also Battle Hymn seems stricly nuts for post combat situations!

In never had a Sundial of the Infinite deck, but this would be one for it.
It was a bit ironic but I was originally eyeballing a Delina, Wild Mage concept when I came across her and was like, wow I didn't know this was a thing. Then I realized that I liked Rionya a little more and suddenly I was building a different deck lol.

Kari Zev's Expertise / Traitorous Greed / Zealous Conscripts I had a few theft cards in my deck for a while but I wasn't too happy with how situational they can end up being. I get that I could kill someone's commander with my commander plus a theft card but its also not very efficient in that it takes a card + my commander to achieve killing someone else's commander. I could also pull it off with sac outlets but for the most part I didn't feel like sac effects really fit this deck all that well. I guess the point I am making is why would I want to complicatedly kill someone's commander when I could just as easily use a creature like Fury, Flametongue Kavu, Terror of the Peaks, Duplicant, Inferno Titan, Meteor Golem etc to kill commanders. I get that there is a tempo nature to Kari Zev's Expertise but I only have something like 17 cards that cost 2 or less so having something to free cast is actually a bit questionable. If someone were to kill my commander in response it also leaves me in a not great place and copying someone's commander multiple times is also not something that normally is that strong of a play (depends a lot on the commander). In the end I felt like theft was a less certain sort of interaction with a lot more questionable variables which is part of why I cut theft. Also for whatever reason, people love to screw me over so if I were to steal someone's commander and send it at someone else, its entirely normal that they take the damage or chump it rather than killing the commander just to screw me. My meta is weird....

Twinflame - The logic behind my including Heat Shimmer was a little bit of hoping to copy some ETB creatures opponents might control. There are some creatures like Solemn Simulacrum / Farhaven Elf / Elvish Rejuvenator / Cavalier of Thorns / Ulvenwald Hydra where it would be very very powerful to get some copies of. My commander could turn that into getting three copies with just casting Heat Shimmer and I think its a very big deal that it can copy opponents creatures. Twinflame on the otherhand, feels a bit winmore to me as I already have copies of those cards. It probably would work out but I could have zero boardstate and Heat Shimmer a random ETB creature an opponent controlls and be very happy with that outcome. I guess I prefer the effect even though Twinflame could do more I think the floor of Heat Shimmer is more what I am impressed with than the ceiling of Twinflame.

Battle Hymn - Being in mono red I have a big fear that I run out of gas. I don't actually have that much that turns into me having significantly more resources most of the cantrips just replace themselves in hand so some of my hope is to get some of the effects that will double my spells and then I can double loot while paying the discard just on the original which can result in like a 2 mana ditch one draw 4 kind of effect which is kind of a big deal. I have to be very careful in what sort of tempo I do run because I can't really afford to burn my hand out on tempo given the lack of draw I am going to have. I do have a few mana generating spells but I went light because I feel like I can't maintain them. Battle Hymn is also weird in that it doesn't help me establish a board to get my commander working on and while yes, post combat it would be cool it doesn't result in as good of a setup for my commander to work. I would rather play mana ramp spells that help me setup a board being my commander and a target for clones than for something build for post combat like this.

Sundial of the Infinite big oversight. I had a copy in my Delina, Wild Mage brew and somehow didn't port the tech. I will see what I can do to make space.
Gamazson wrote:
2 years ago
This feels like a Sneak Attack kind of deck. The creatures you want to copy have a high CMC that do not leave a lot of mana for your instants an sorceries.

*edit* I just noticed the Conjurer's Closet in your list. If I am not mistaken, you can use that to blink your creature before you have to sac it.
I love Sneak Attack but my concern with it is maintaining cards with it. Its a great tempo card I just think that I want to be heavily based in card draw to offset for the fact that its a one turn tempo effect. It does play to some good effect with some of the end turn and flicker stuff but I worry that I might not be able to draw enough cards to actually make it work here. Its something I like a lot more outside of mono red to be honest because the draw in mono red can be rough.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Small update but I have received most of the cards for this deck. Its gotten hard to play again though as my wife has a work thing the same night as commander is played locally which leaves is in a tough spot with our two year old which seems to default to me not getting to play. I might have to branch out and go somewhere less local to play on another night depending on if I can find a place that plays on another night.

DECK CHANGE:
  • Wild GuessDeflecting Swat most of the discard / draw 2 effects are a bit dull on their own. They take a means of copying them to really make any real value but they also play well being cheap spells that turn my hand over and help me against land screw / flood a bit. That said I did a little thinking on my commander and I think a lot of people will probably aim for killing my commander before I can trigger my copy effect on my turn making Deflecting Swat appealing in that it keeps my commander alive and triggers for more value from my commander. This is mostly hypothetically speaking but there has been kind of a lot of spot removal in my meta lately so I think its a good change. I am not really sure where I stand on wild guess being lower cost than some of the 3/4 mana cycle and make treasures but I think I like them more than this one so lets shift for now. I did look at some of the other change target effects but most of them are expensive enough or situational enough that I had a hard time justifying them.
EDIT: Crap I forgot to make room for Sundial of the Infinite lol. Well thats next on the list to figure out.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Well, its been a while. I still think this deck is fairly cool and its really not using up much of my resources so I keep it around. Its a fun deck but I guess some of my challenge so far is that it feels like I eat a lot of interaction and my own interaction is on very specific axis. Its still a really cool deck I just don't bring it out all that often. Still, I have been slowly tweaking a few things so I guess I will do some updates.

DECK CHANGES:
  • Harmonic ProdigyHumble Defector My problem is that the complexity to setup Harmonic for value is too high. Its entirely dependent on my commander who is already a ton of value and prone to being interacted with. I just found it to be winmore putting more chips on my commander existing and making it to combat so I am fairly happy to cut it. I checked with the rules page and it looks like I can duplicate and donate the Defector tokens and they still get exiled so thats a really cool interaction I want to see how it plays out. It is reliant on my commander but the draw power seems really good.
  • Spawn of ThraxesSandstone Oracle Thraxes isn't that good of removal or wincon so I figured adding more draw power is probably better. I was originally envisioning situations where I shoot for a ton of damage to the dome but it just doesn't seem as good as a lot of my other removal or wincons. Sandstone Oracle is something I don't know where I stand on but I think its ETB is something I could be ok with. It doesn't clone that well en mass but its still something. I have some issues with this deck on burning my hand out on occasion so I wanted some heavier hand rebuild so lets see how this goes.
  • Shake the FoundationsMindless Automaton I didn't find Shake the Foundations to really be that effective and its mana cost was also not very affordable. Just adding in a little bit of draw instead and while Automaton isn't amazing the commander makes it possibly acceptable.
  • Seething SongSword of Hearth and Home trying to go for a little more sustained value here. I had a hard time maintaining enough draw to make the short term burst mana feel like I could use it correctly so lets go for sustained ramp / blink instead.
  • Mana GeyserApex of Power I like that apex sort of pays for itself once you get to that point. The amount of resources it gives me access to is also good.
This deck is a fairly cool one. I have had very good results with a solid win percentage with it. The commander is both powerful and quick to have effect. I have more than once used some random creature like Goblin Dark-Dwellers to enact large scale beat downs on players chipping in for 10-20 damage in a turn. It can have very explosive turns of chaining Inferno Titans / Terror of the Peaks / Chancellor of the Forge and just mobbing the hell out of its opponents. My only real complaint is I often tend to self label myself as more of a draw / go type of player where I like having reactions and wrenches to throw at instant speed and that is totally not this deck. This deck can still interact but its mostly sorcery speed direct damage to clear creatures and some artifact smashing splashed lightly in.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”