Mayael the Anima - Of Gods and Monsters

Boros_Blendo
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Boros_Blendo » 2 months ago

Many thanks to everyone who contributed to my thread in the discussion boards asking about old busted cards. It helped not only by making some nice suggestions, but also letting me know that there is not much ceiling anymore to what's busted, so why not just go for it?

The idea of this deck is to have a self-functional 99, bringing Mayael out only after I have the mana to exploit her as a big-creature filter. The deck features:
- aggressive creature control of both little creature hordes and single, target creatures
- targeted artifact and enchantment destruction versus mass wipeouts since I utilize both card types
- persisting ramp instead of mana dork creatures
- a decent go-wide capability of my own for things that pump all of my creatures
- Mayael's Aria as a buff and life source, though I'll take the alternate win if I get a critter high enough!

The deck is not "optimal" to most Mayael decks I've seen, but I'm starting with a good deal of what I presently own, only going after some stuff that immediately makes sense. If you see something (especially budget!) that maybe I missed that helps greatly with above, please make a suggestion! Thank you! :grin:

Of Gods and Monsters

Decklist

Commander 1

Planeswalker 1

Approximate Total Cost:

Tags:

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 months ago

First and most importantly, mad respect for the Woolly Thoctar inclusion. That is the right level of jank.

Second, I have some suggestions that might improve your consistency:
I'd cut fellwar stone, commander sphere, everflowing chalice, and the three hydras. The rocks are worse than lands more often than not and I've found hitting land drops consistently to be more valuable than the occasional high roll that rocks can offer. The hydras on the other hand are dead hits with mayael and thus could be better used elsewhere.

I'd add at least two lands and some fatties to fill the void. My personal suggestions would be things like Crater Hellion, Tornado Elemental, and Bloodthirster. The first two sweep multiple creatures and the second combos with xenagos for massive damage (you can even find them together with Defense of the Heart!).
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Boros_Blendo

First off: thank you for your feedback. There was never a way Woolly Thoctar wouldn't go in. He's OG gargantuan, aggressively-costed, and I used to play a Naya deck back during Shards, and he's a heavy-hitter, fast. I have questions...

Taking into account the recommendations (and I truly suck at mana, hence the question), are you recommending I remove the extra mana rocks because I already have enough ramp to not worry about being stuck?

And related to that, with the removal of the low-curved hydras, which I kinda get even though two of them grow on their own quite rapidly, should I consider some options in the lower part of the curve? For example, Pyroclasm, Spellbreaker Behemoth, Pugnacious Hammerskull, Shifting Ceratops, Cliffrunner Behemoth, and Hulking Raptor all fit a low-curve replacement if that's something I would otherwise sit and be hit for turns waiting for more mana.

As to the suggested cards themselves, I actually have a playset of Crater Hellion from wayback in the day, so I will attest to its power. I just had not put it in there because I am bit concerned about sweeping my own forces at the wrong time if Mayael hits it, and it's a huge tempo loss if I pay the echo and then someone aces it. Tornado Elemental is a card I use in my elemental deck. Late game, both are better than the lower-curved ones I put up above. Bloodthirster is nice, I have never seen that. That one will go in somewhere for sure.

If mana is fine truly with removing the three rocks, and removing the three hydras, then I see adding 1 mountain, 1 forest, adding your three recommended critters, and just using Pyroclasm as a low-curve answer to give me time. That, or Spellbreaker Behemoth or 1 plains.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 months ago

@Boros_Blendo I forgot about Spellbreaker Behemoth, that card is truly sick. Hulking Raptor is also insane and I must have missed it in all the spoilers. Both worthy includes for sure.

As for rocks vs lands, I have just found that the momentary tempo gain from early rocks hasn't outwieghed the value of hitting lands consistently throughout the game. When I'm slinging 6+ drops, I usually play 40 or so lands just to guarantee I can curve out all my fatties, but ymmv.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

Post by Avacyn Believer » 2 months ago

I love Mayael, one of my oldest decks, been playing her since 2017. I found that the Power 5+ creatures are pretty interchangeable, some are of course better than others but I'd say there is a lot of freedom to include the creatures you like and can't find room for in other decks. Personally I play a lot of Theros Gods and Angels, because I really like them.

Some of my favourite creatures to get into play are Combustible Gearhulk, Gisela, Blade of Goldnight and Ruric Thar, the Unbowed. Spellbreaker Behemoth is definitely a solid choice too.

I run six mana rocks, but mostly try to focus on lands for similar reasons to what @TheAmericanSpirit said, I like the rocks to either get me into more early land ramp, or to get Mayael active quickly when I don't have better options.

That said, in the current state of my deck, Mayael actually doesn't come out all that often anymore because there are so many spells and creatures that allow you to put more creatures onto the battlefield, basically doing her job. I mainly bring her out when I have some top deck manipulation available.

Rishkar's Expertise, See the Unwritten and Selvala's Stampede do a lot of work. Especially when combined with Kodama of the East Tree. I found the deck is lot more consistent with these kind of spells, rather than relying on actually casting the big creatures, and Mayael's ability is kinda expensive to activate without doubling my mana. Though she is awesome in the late game when I have run out of cards in hand.

This is my decklist if you are curious: https://archidekt.com/decks/248658/force_of_nature
Faith Requires Sacrifice
MTGNexus Primer | Archidekt | Church of Avacyn

Boros_Blendo

Avacyn Believer wrote:
2 months ago
I run six mana rocks, but mostly try to focus on lands for similar reasons to what @TheAmericanSpirit said, I like the rocks to either get me into more early land ramp, or to get Mayael active quickly when I don't have better options.

Rishkar's Expertise, See the Unwritten and Selvala's Stampede do a lot of work. Especially when combined with Kodama of the East Tree. I found the deck is lot more consistent with these kind of spells, rather than relying on actually casting the big creatures, and Mayael's ability is kinda expensive to activate without doubling my mana. Though she is awesome in the late game when I have run out of cards in hand.
Thank you for the feedback as well. This, with @TheAmericanSpirit is getting me thinking...that, and I've gold-fished the heck out of the draw 7 and top deck tools on this site. I'm seeing plenty of mana in most cases, but not a lot of things to cast early. Two things come to mind. First, I just need simpler rocks in place of what TheAmericanSpirit suggested removing, the three signets for the colors make great mana filters and get that fast tempo hit my friends keep beating me over the head with, repeatedly. Second, Mayael herself is so cheap, she can serve as an early critter even if she bites it and I can still bring her back late game. I find also that the three bounce lands act as a great land drop-enabler, so long as you get something in place early enough to not sit and spin.

I didn't at all think of Combustible Gearhulk, and I play a playset in my Kaladesh deck. Silly me... Now, I have heard a lot of stuff about Selvala's Stampede, so much that I'm surprised I missed putting that in. Do you find yourself getting voted into dropping what is in your hand and only you vote to go fishing? Or, is that card a total timing issue where you only do it after you draw a bunch of cards?

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

Boros_Blendo wrote:
2 months ago
I just need simpler rocks in place of what TheAmericanSpirit suggested removing, the three signets for the colors make great mana filters and get that fast tempo hit my friends keep beating me over the head with, repeatedly.
I can't promise results, but in my experience I don't have problem keeping up with ramping. Some games are slower but eventually the deck will start dropping a lot of creatures, so I do catch up. The 3 mana value rock I play is purely because it fits so well with the Gods.
Boros_Blendo wrote:
2 months ago
Second, Mayael herself is so cheap, she can serve as an early critter even if she bites it and I can still bring her back late game. I find also that the three bounce lands act as a great land drop-enabler, so long as you get something in place early enough to not sit and spin.
I used to play against control decks a lot, one of my best mates loves them, so I developed this pattern of play where I don't play Mayael until I know I can activate her the next turn, and instead try to focus on ramping in the early game. Granted, not so much of an issue in more casual games, but I am still careful with her since she can die to lightning bolt effects.
Boros_Blendo wrote:
2 months ago
Do you find yourself getting voted into dropping what is in your hand and only you vote to go fishing? Or, is that card a total timing issue where you only do it after you draw a bunch of cards?
Admittedly waiting for a good hand is the better play, but I usually play it if I have at least one creature in hand (so I get that creature and my own deck vote at least). I've noticed with more experienced opponents they do vote from hand, and try convince others to do the same, so it just depends on your group. But I always got some value out of the card. It could be replaced with likes of Last March of the Ents but 6 mana allows it to be cast relatively early, which I like.
Faith Requires Sacrifice

Boros_Blendo

Okay, version 2.0. Suggestions plus the all-knowing goldfish have spoken. Nuked a couple token generators in favor of immediately impactful bigs. Added more early game steam and more streamlined rocks to get an early board presence, and changed some of the draw to more targeted critter dropping at much, much faster speeds. Holy cow, this is saving me months and $$$ of mucking about trying things out. You all are awesome.

Of Gods and Monsters

Decklist

Commander 1

Approximate Total Cost:

Boros_Blendo

Haha, loving this lineup. The Draw 7 and Top Deck options here are nice, and I'm seeing far more decent-to-good hands - even some really explosive hands - than I was on the first deck list, certainly many more playable hands. So, on to purchasing what I don't have and playing it. As always, feel free to chip in, but I like where this has ended up. :love: This could end up one of my stronger Commander decks.
Last edited by Boros_Blendo 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

Nice! Mayael's art is timeless, she deserves to see more play.
Faith Requires Sacrifice

Boros_Blendo

+ Delayed Blast Fireball

- Berserk, Pyroclasm, or something else?

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

Not sure why you'd play either of those? There are better boardwipes like Blasphemous Act, and I'd suggest to use creatures that double power and/or damage so Mayael can put them on the battlefield.
Faith Requires Sacrifice

BlackbirdPlaysMTG
Lost but seeking
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by BlackbirdPlaysMTG » 2 months ago

Ooooh, I played Mayael for quite a while when I started out with commander. She is like a Timmy dream :grin:. One card I can recommend is Lurking Predators. Flipping cards is a lot of fun imo and you have about a 1/3 chance to hit per spell cast. If every opponent plays 1-2 cards per turn, you will most likely hit at least one creature every turn cycle.

Boros_Blendo

Avacyn Believer wrote:
2 months ago
Not sure why you'd play either of those? There are better boardwipes like Blasphemous Act, and I'd suggest to use creatures that double power and/or damage so Mayael can put them on the battlefield.
Yeah, sometimes I think silly stuff. :smirk: Not to worry, though, I decided to put all three DBFs in the deck I originally bought them for. Cards remain unchanged from last list, unlesss I add Lurking Predators.
BlackbirdPlaysMTG wrote:
2 months ago
Ooooh, I played Mayael for quite a while when I started out with commander. She is like a Timmy dream :grin:. One card I can recommend is Lurking Predators.
Haha, I have had someone play that against me, but only one time. Yes, that was a true nightmare...I lost that game badly. lol. Great suggestion, thanks! And, as I'm looking at it, Mayael's Aria will probably bite the dust to fit it in. Lurking Predators is a much better slot. Well, that or Last March of the Ents. The Aria needs a lot less mana.

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 2 months ago

Nice! Mayael was one of my first EDH decks! Unfortunately she's very fragile... have you thought about Lightning Greaves or Swiftfoot Boots ? Both offer protection and haste.
Summoning Trap and Storm the Festival could do some work here.

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

cheonice wrote:
2 months ago
Mayael was one of my first EDH decks! Unfortunately she's very fragile
I found you can get around this by only playing her the turn before you can activate her. I used to suffer loosing her when the deck worked only because of her, but these days I can get games where I don't even cast her and still drop a lot of creatures onto the battlefield :grin: It definitely feels more consistent when I don't have to rely on her.
Faith Requires Sacrifice

Boros_Blendo

Avacyn Believer wrote:
2 months ago
I found you can get around this by only playing her the turn before you can activate her.
A friend plays Gor Muldrak, Amphinologist, and despite his deck being less threatening when Gor is handled, most of the time people have fun getting salamanders. If my group were more cuththroat, yeah I'd be more concerned about Mayael's fragility. However, I plan to see if your idea of keeping her safe in the Commander zone until I can use her works. Playtesting at home has shown she'll reliably hit a creature if she uses her ability. My friends will probably start looking at her critically once bombs start dropping, though. Interestingly, they don't shut Atla Palani, Nest Tender down, so maybe there is some hope. :grin:

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

Boros_Blendo wrote:
2 months ago
However, I plan to see if your idea of keeping her safe in the Commander zone until I can use her works.
The way I do it is to cast her only if I know I will have 6 mana for her ability the next turn. One of my mates always plays control so I had to learn the hard way :rofl: And then once she is able to tap and I have the mana, I usually wait till my last opponent's end step to use her so the creature doesn't just sit there for the whole turn as a target.

If you wanna have a look at my deck list to get an idea how I play my deck, I linked it on an earlier post. These days there are so many spells and creatures that drop more creatures onto the field. It's great.
Faith Requires Sacrifice

Boros_Blendo

Yep, all my cards are assembled, and my group gets together Friday, so I get first crack at this deck soon. My thought is: I have a cohesive 99, so getting her out is only positive. If I need a creature for 3 for some reason, I'll drop her early. At 3 cmc, she can absorb multiple Doom Blade effects, so her fragility is "meh" for now. Hopefully she doesn't generate too much hate…lol.

Still, first time Malignus, Craterhoof, or Elesh Norn drop, I don't think they'll be so warm and fuzzy. :rofl:

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 2 months ago

Boros_Blendo wrote:
2 months ago
Yep, all my cards are assembled, and my group gets together Friday, so I get first crack at this deck soon. My thought is: I have a cohesive 99, so getting her out is only positive. If I need a creature for 3 for some reason, I'll drop her early. At 3 cmc, she can absorb multiple Doom Blade effects, so her fragility is "meh" for now. Hopefully she doesn't generate too much hate…lol.

Still, first time Malignus, Craterhoof, or Elesh Norn drop, I don't think they'll be so warm and fuzzy. :rofl:
Good luck!

Boros_Blendo

Haha, can't make this up. 5 player game. Turn 1 Sol Ring. Turn 2 Hulking Raptor. Turn 4 Defense of the Heart. Turn 5 Defense brings out Malignus + Xenagod, hardcasted Nylea, dead enemy from 44 damage. Malignus then keeps blasting away, Mayael and Screamer Killer come out, Screamer takes out player Malignus didn't quite kill with dropped Craterhoof to kill the last two, 7-ish turns, debut game = win. Didn't even use Mayael's ability.

Avacyn Believer
Faith Requires Sacrifice

Boros_Blendo wrote:
2 months ago
Didn't even use Mayael's ability.
See what I mean now :rofl: sounds like a fun game!
Faith Requires Sacrifice

Boros_Blendo

Avacyn Believer wrote:
2 months ago
Boros_Blendo wrote:
2 months ago
Didn't even use Mayael's ability.
See what I mean now :rofl: sounds like a fun game!
For me, sure. My friends were kinda "woof…". or wtf?!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”