Tegwyll - Fae Tribal

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 3 months ago

A quick and dirty fae tribal approach. I am fond of draw go like control strategies so I want to at least give this a shot. I don't have much for life recovery which might be a problem but I am able to block most things and have interaction so I am willing to just sort of give it a shot and see where flaws end up being. I don't have that much spot interaction offhand but I wanted it to be leaning a little creature heavy to start.

Decklist

COMMANDER (1)

ENCHANTMENT (2)

PLANESWALKER

Approximate Total Cost:

[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Tags:

Phoenixlance

Post by Phoenixlance » 3 months ago

I built Alela, Cunning Conqueror as Faerie typal, although my creature count is much lower than yours. Due to the nature of the commander I wanted as much cheap spells/interaction as possible while keeping my creatures as lean/good as possible. I also run into the occasional issue re: life recovery, but never really found a viable solution.

Oona's Blackguard feels like it could be another good lord effect for your Faeries, given most of them appear to be Rogues. Talion, the Kindly Lord is just generically good; the life loss really adds up over time, plus he helps keep your grip full.

My deck utilizes a variety of Coastal Piracy effects as my main source of card draw. Not sure if you want to go that wide/explosive, but man drawing that many cards is sweet.

Given that you already have Force of Will and Fierce Guardianship, might as well add Force of Negation too in order to complete the trifecta.

Tegwyll is inherently wrath insurance on his own, but have you considered supplementing that with graveyard recursion? Oversold Cemetery, Patriarch's Bidding, etc.

I don't think you have enough Wizards for it it, but man using Riptide Laboratory on Faerie Harbinger or Mistbind Clique feels disgustingly good. Snapcaster Mage and Spellseeker are a couple of good generic cards that could maybe find a home too.
Main Rotation
Dragonlord Ojutai I Lurrus of the Dream-Den I Katilda, Dawnhart Prime I Jenara, Asura of War I Niv-Mizzet Reborn I Tymna/Bruse Phoenix Kindred I Ezuri, Renegade Leader I Alela, Cunning Conquerer

cEDH
Francisco/Malcolm I Thrasios/Kraum

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 3 months ago

Phoenixlance wrote:
3 months ago
I built Alela, Cunning Conqueror as Faerie typal, although my creature count is much lower than yours. Due to the nature of the commander I wanted as much cheap spells/interaction as possible while keeping my creatures as lean/good as possible. I also run into the occasional issue re: life recovery, but never really found a viable solution.

Oona's Blackguard feels like it could be another good lord effect for your Faeries, given most of them appear to be Rogues. Talion, the Kindly Lord is just generically good; the life loss really adds up over time, plus he helps keep your grip full.

My deck utilizes a variety of Coastal Piracy effects as my main source of card draw. Not sure if you want to go that wide/explosive, but man drawing that many cards is sweet.

Given that you already have Force of Will and Fierce Guardianship, might as well add Force of Negation too in order to complete the trifecta.

Tegwyll is inherently wrath insurance on his own, but have you considered supplementing that with graveyard recursion? Oversold Cemetery, Patriarch's Bidding, etc.

I don't think you have enough Wizards for it it, but man using Riptide Laboratory on Faerie Harbinger or Mistbind Clique feels disgustingly good. Snapcaster Mage and Spellseeker are a couple of good generic cards that could maybe find a home too.
Sorry for the delay some of it is me sort of chewing on what I want to do. I see the appeal of running Alela, Cunning Conqueror as a commander but I have played Talrand, Sky Summoner and played against a lot of Kykar, Wind's Fury decks. In short, I think they are fine but I am not that interested in the playstyle of these commanders. Alela, Cunning Conqueror does open a different tribal element to it but I think that Faerie tribal buffs as a whole aren't that impressive which for me if I am going to do tribal Faerie I kind of want something impressive in the command zone. I think shifting to Alela, Cunning Conqueror really would shift me to just being a different variation of Kykar, Wind's Fury and right now, I just am not really that excited for that.

So..... I think I am sort of back to Tegwyll, Duke of Splendor as a commander or me moving off the idea. I looked at the other faerie legends and I just didn't see anyone else that got me excited for faerie tribal. Some of my challenges though is that drawing a single card on death just doesn't seem like its going to be sufficient advantage for me to actually go into things trying to kill them all off. So, I could try to clone my commander to increase my draw but then I also potentially need sac outlets which if I am being honest don't feel like they fit this that well.

So for me, I think I still want to at least try out Tegwyll, Duke of Splendor as a commander but I am not sure where I stand on cloning him vs doing something like a coastal piracy idea. I do like that it puts me on a tribal idea though and I think that is what makes me interested in doing it. The problem with the Coastal Piracy stuff is just that it assumes I can get to critical mass and connect to some degree which if my opponents wrath me or have good blockers could be a problem. I was sort of wanting to lean into my commander as my draw and having sac outlets but I have no idea how viable that is but paying one mana for a 1/1 who is instead a 3/3 or something that draws me 2 cards on death..... well that sounds kinda ok to me. The problem with going super deep on my commander is that there is the vulnerable window as I cast the clones where I need my commander to survive and thus I need counter magic or some sort of hexproof or something.

I am still kind of theorycrafting with where I want to go but I ordered cards that are supposed to be here this week. I hope to sleeve something up to at least test this idea which it might shift a little from what I have in the OP but we will see. I do like the idea of picking up a few more instant speed tricks but I think I need to solidify the core of what my draw is going to be first.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”