Trynn & Silvar (Human Tribal)

Kelzam
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Kelzam » 4 years ago

The other night I sat down with my husband and a couple friends and we played the Commander 2020 precons for a while. We got 3 games in all told, and much to my shock, I won all three with the Mardu Humans precon, having switched Jirian Kudro out for Trynn, Champion of Freedom and Silvar, Devourer of the Free. I was able to find someone to attack into for the free token from Trynn every turn, and Silvar got downright brutal because he was hard to deal with. Obviously, we're talking about precon level play here. I'd say that the precons this year are some of the most powerful they've ever printed, relative to the others and how they could stand up to a casual table out of the box.

With that in mind, I decided it was the first precon I wanted to upgrade. The two ways to win are to smash someone for 21 Commander damage with Silvar, or to go swing in with a lot of buffed humans. I'm not leaning super hard into an aristocrats style strategy with Silvar, though there is definitely some extra benefits I've added to the deck for sacrificing creatures.

At this point, I've made all the changes to the precon I want to using mostly what I have sitting around and after opening some Ikoria. There are some cards I'd like to find room for, eventually:

Embercleave
Imperial Recruiter
Recruiter of the Guard

I'm posting here hoping for some suggestions and discussion about what people would add or cut from the deck. Note that I'm aware the land base is atrocious right now. I'm looking more for suggestions and comments regarding the non-land cards. To that end, here is the list so far:

Decklist

Instants

1 Terminate (slated to become Anguished Unmaking)

Planeswalkers

Approximate Total Cost:

Level 1 Judge US-South
Founder of MTG Salvation (2005-2019), Proud New Patron of MTG Nexus! (2019+)

My CMDR Primers:

Tags:

UnNamed1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by UnNamed1 » 4 years ago

While I do not play much tribal, I took a swing at goblin tribal and have built my GF a beast tribal deck. I would definitely include Coat of Arms and Door of Destinies. I might even include Sword of the Animist, buffs creatures, you are focused on combats and ramps you in colors that don't have a large amount of ramp. Herald's Horn might also be a good include, especially if you want to go all in on Human Tribal.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

What do you think of Gift of Immortality? Given you have a sac outlet commander it would let you bare minimum have an increased way to keep your commander in play but it could let you wrack up counters on your commander and make him indestructible but if you have any humans that have ETB / Dies triggers you could get some sweet value from it.

Living Death tends to be really sweet when you have access to sac outlets. I could see it possibly in place of Blasphemous Act or Damnation.

Gideon Blackblade hits on the human thing but...... I don't know that he is really great. What do you think of maybe Liliana, Dreadhorde General instead? I don't really like suggesting cutting a three drop for a six drop but I do think that Liliana could be good here.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

ZenN

Post by ZenN » 4 years ago

A buddy of mine has been playing human tribal but with keeping Jirina Kudro at the head. Man, I gotta say, she's incredibly aggressive. The +2/+0 anthem is nuts, nevermind making tokens too. Watching him curve Hanweir Garrison into Jirina is way scarier than it has any right to be.

I do like that Silvar, Devourer of the Free gives you a decent option for killing someone with commander damage, but I sort of feel like if that's what you want to do then you'd want to lean into it more with the aristocrats theme, which you've acknowledged already.

As for some more specific suggestions:
Commander
Golos, ETB Pilgrim - Value Town
Maelstrom Wanderer a.k.a. The Kool-Aid Man
Korvold, Fae-Cursed King - OM NOM NOM
Kykar, Wind's Fury - Spellslinger + Tokens

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”