Ghalta: The Power Storm

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Crazy Monkey » 4 years ago

Mostly posted for recordkeeping, but feel free to comment.

This is monogreen storm, where the only storm card is the commander. Yes, it's a Food Chain deck. No, it's not that competitive. This is primarily because I wanted to play minimal ramp in mono green in order to keep the playstyle of this deck distinct from my other mono-green decks. The mana ramp that I do play is usually either a creature or a storm enabler, and the creatures virtually never have less than 2 power. The storm technique is to cast Ghalta for gg, then generate some small amount of mana and sacrifice for cards (Greater Good), mana (Food Chain), or power (Ooze Garden). The storm win is obviously Aetherflux Reservoir.

The side effect of playing a 2 cost 12/12 with trample and a bunch of other high powered creatures is that it's also very easy to just kill people in combat. So even if storm doesn't work, just eat them.

Notable interactions
  • Omnath's power is only updated after Ghalta is on the stack. This is because the actual order of casting a spell is to cast first and pay the mana second. This means that the mana in pool is still present as cost reduction, and effectively can be counted twice. For example, if 6 g is on Omnath, Ghalta costs 7 less, then only requires 5g spent.
  • Omnath, Locus of Mana with Food Chain allows you to infinitely cast Ghalta and generates 11g per loop. Substitute Rhonas's Monument, Mossbridge Troll as a backup for Omnath.
  • Earthcraft and Phyrexian Altar turn mana from food chain into unrestricted mana for non-creatures.
  • Invigorate is approximately equal to Black Lotus for your commander. Or, you know, commander damage.
  • Tangleroot is symmetric, but reduces the cost for Ghalta to g, which can be paid by Phyrexian Altar or Earthcraft.
  • Save Genesis Hydra if possible, because the cast trigger can put Aetherflux Reservoir into play around countermagic if you already have more mana than your deck.
  • side note/pride note: this is one of the few storm decks that I know of that can still go off through Damping Sphere.
  • Note to self: don't be afraid to just eat the control player first, then storm out.
  • Note to self 2: don't get so caught up in storming that you forget about the combat step.
I'm definitely open to comments to improve this build, with a focus on avoiding manaramp with less than 2 power. Some low hanging fruit it that I apparently cut all my recursion for more power. Oops.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

Tags:

Return to “Decklists”