Urabrask - Non Combo Spellslinger Grind

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin
Pronoun: he / him

Post by ISBPathfinder » 1 year ago

So, I hate combo type wincons but I think this commander can do fine without doing infinite combos or Aetherflux Reservoir so I am going for more of a grindy route myself. Its just how I like playing so I am tinkering with that direction instead. Its probably optimal to go more for a infinite mana loop wincon but I hate that so no, not going there.

I haven't played this list yet but I did put in some orders for most of the cards. I will post to the list if and when I get a chance to play it with some results.

Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Tags:

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

Birgi, God of Storytelling // Harnfel, Horn of Bounty is pretty sweet in these decks.

Livaan, Cultist of Tiamat will also enable the big beats you seem to do.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 1 year ago

duducrash wrote:
1 year ago
Birgi, God of Storytelling // Harnfel, Horn of Bounty is pretty sweet in these decks.

Livaan, Cultist of Tiamat will also enable the big beats you seem to do.
Birgi, God of Storytelling I looked into the mana generation and cost reduction elements but I didn't think that my card advantage was real enough for it to really be sustainable. I also think that these effects tend to play more to the combo element I was trying to avoid as my goal isn't to cast all the spells and kill everyone in one turn. I did think about Birgi, God of Storytelling // Harnfel, Horn of Bounty but it would be a lot more likely that if I did play it, it would be like 100% used on the horn side. I still think it could be viable for that but I don't think the mana production is what I need with my approach. I don't plan on chaining infinitely.

Livaan, Cultist of Tiamat - It is cute and it could work but most of the stuff that could make my commander viable in attacking are cards that on their own give me a fairly good boardstate paired with my commander. I was mostly aiming for some lifegain because mono red is abysmal at defending itself so rather than defend itself I opted to just have some lifegain to offset the assumption that I will take hits. I think this card is cool but I also lack evasion for it to feel like it could carry me reliably. I don't care as much about what happens if I were using the lifelink equipment because I get to gain life regardless. I don't have any real intention to 21 commander anyone but its also hard to do much against a 7/4 first striking trampling lifelinker.
pokken wrote:
1 year ago
Ruby Medallion seems reasonable :)
It could but I think it fits a lot of the same issues as Birgi does (outlined my thoughts above). There is actually a downside with this card in that my commander allows me to cast other players instant and sorcery spells which likely aren't going to be nearly as red heavy and it doesn't cost reduce for them. I opted for a little bit of any color mana production to cast spells with the lvl 3 saga of my commander but I don't even know that that is right to do. Maybe with some testing I can think about these more but if this deck turns into a "play my whole deck" concept I am going to dumpster it immediately so its not where I want to start if I am being honest.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 11 months ago

Ok, I played a game with this deck and while I thought it was kind of cool, winning was super tedious without an infinite combo. Some of the issue is the commander's pings only hit a single opponent per cast. I did end up closing out the game but it was super tedious in the last turn and I probably spun my wheels for at least 20 minutes trying to figure out if I actually could win to just kill one opponent and pass back to the other player who scooped to what I was able to build up.

This game was an odd one in that nobody was really on spell based decks. One of the players was even on colorless so my ability to steal other players stuff was kind of not great. For now, I think I am going to put this deck down just because well man it was a lot of work and the engine to set up wasn't great to get the results I needed.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”