Modular deck building, my new method.

kraus911
Pronoun: he / him

Post by kraus911 » 2 years ago

My deck building often suffers from me trying to shove too many ideas in a deck.

For example, my Sigarda, Host of Herons deck started out as a deck focused on landing Brisela, Voice of Nightmares. It's Innistrad themed and also has a lot of little dudes. Including Fiend Hunter , Sun Titan, and Saffi Eriksdotter. Maybe I could also have some sac loops for profit? Is there a free Innistrad sac outlet? Reaper of Flight Moonsilver. And Gutter Grime is another on theme payoff. Ah, but that requires delirium, so now I need to aim for delirium.

Anyways, this is common for me and usually I end up with an unfocused deck, play it until I find what strategies I actually like, and then hone it to that.

But why not just play all the strategies?

So I'm including modules for the deck. I'll have my combo sac module, and my angel tribal module, all in the same sleeves so I can mix the deck up for whatever my mood is, and keep it focused. It's kind of like people who just keep a box of EDH cards that they build decks from as they go, but for specific color combinations or generals. Anyone else do this?

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 2 years ago

A friend in my local playgroup did this for his Jodah, Archmage Eternal deck. The admittedly old primer is here. That's the closest similar deckbuild that I've seen to your concept.

I have something similar, but it's more a shared mana base across multiple decks. Basically just lands, mana rocks and cards I like in those colors. Mine use different commanders (Sisay, Weatherlight Captain, The Ur-Dragon, Horde of Notions) and are basically entirely different decks, so I don't think that's what you're looking for.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 2 years ago

Why not Modular deckbuilding, where all your decks are just Zabaz?

kraus911

Post by kraus911 » 2 years ago

BeneTleilax wrote:
2 years ago
Why not Modular deckbuilding, where all your decks are just Zabaz?
Somebody had to!

Actually one of my shared decks is a grixis shell that goes between Thraximundar and Marchesa, the Black Rose. The latter is a modular artifact build.

Outcryqq

Post by Outcryqq » 2 years ago

I have a 5c tribal modular deck, with an old list on MTGsalvation. My only advice - the sleeves wear out at different rates depending on how often you play them, with the core cards getting more wear/tear than any one module. Depending on your group, this can cause concerns, as you might be able to get extra knowledge about your next draw (core card or card from the module?). Replace sleeves regularly.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

The closest deck I have ever had to this is my current Breena, the Demagogue deck where I am considering pulling the walkers out for some other theme.

The problem there though is that I am notorious for weaving my synergies all throughout the deck so that they're a delicate um, house of cards? So there's subtle planeswalker synergy throughout everything I'm doing in that deck and it'd be pretty hard to just yank it out without taking a bunch of supporting cards too.

I think I am a bit too compulsive about what cards are in my deck to be able to do any kind of modular approach -- a deck is more than the sum of its parts, so any major theme changes require major surgery.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”