Ghen - Enchantment Fodder

Serenade
UnderKing
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Serenade » 3 years ago

Ghen, Arcanum Weaver has been revealed. I love enchantress, but I've never played a non-green version. As such, I'm trying to get my hands around what would work in this deck while balancing some great enchantments to feed Ghen. Below are some early ideas. Any help would be appreciated!

Land Tax: Great early game in non-green decks, but I think LT is even more of a superstar in Ghen. You can pull lands into your hand...and discard your bombs like Overwhelming Splendor or Painful Quandary to hand size. After your mana base is set, you can turn LT into one of those bombs!

Oath of Lieges: Does this see any play? It's not Land Tax, but given how color-greedy Ghen is, I am wondering if this helps enough in the early game for non-green.

Legion's Landing // Adanto, the First Fort: In a defensive shell, this is a blocker...and possibly nothing else. It's a nice one-drop, though, that I'd be fine feeding to Ghen later.

Treacherous Blessing/Demonic Lore: Maybe Necropotence is the better drop here, and maybe they work better with our friend Blim, Comedic Genius, but they seem nice with Ghen.

Cartouches/Trials: These all seem too small and sparse to be worth an activation, but using Trial of Ambition over and over would be neat.

Curses: Might be nice to sac Curse of Bloodletting and tag another opponent with it as a combat trick.

I do intend to go through every enchantment ever, but I have not had the time yet. Probably a lot of ETB effects to abuse. Again, would love to hear any other ideas people have! Thanks!
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Candlemane

Post by Candlemane » 3 years ago

Sagas might be interesting, or things like Unholy Indenture to protect stuff.

Aura of Silence, Seal of Doom could be good. Martyr's Bond, or if you have enchantments that make stuff like Assemble the Legion, something like Impact Tremors or a surprise Dictate of the Twin God's could work.
Paper EDH

Tameshi, Reality Architect
Sapling of Colfenor
Feather the Redeemed
Lynde, Cheerful Tormentor
Thalia and Gitrog
Xryis, the Writhing Storm

Treamayne
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Treamayne » 3 years ago

Rise of the Hobgoblins might work here, both as a sac after casting, and sac to return combat trick.

Gravebreaker Lamia seems a nifty way to get things in the yard to recur.

Possibly Agent of Erebos for GY hate.

If you go the aura route (since you can get them back), you may consider the Dragon cycle (as sac fodder if using fatties - Dragon Breath, Dragon Scales, Dragon Shadow) and Magemark cycle (Fencer's Magemark, Guardian's Magemark, Necromancer's Magemark)

If you are going more control, possibly Death Pits of Rath with Pestilence (and its variants)

If you are playing enough enchantment creatures, Flameshadow Conjuring (and its variants) would let you use the tokens as your sac fodder
V/R

Treamayne

UnfulfilledDesires
Pronoun: they / them

Post by UnfulfilledDesires » 3 years ago

I'm excited to use Ghen with Parallax Wave. The trick is to activate Wave five times & then sacrifice it while holding priority. This way you exile five creatures & they don't come back. You can cast Ghen on turn three, Wave on turn four, & then do the above during your upkeep with the fading trigger on the stack (assuming you have an enchantment to target in your graveyard).

Wave also combos with Opalescence & Starfield of Nyx if you're into that, allowing you blink or permanently exile creatures as many times as you want.

Personally I'm planning to run Wave & Starfield because both synergize with Ghen, but no tutors because I prefer to minimize shuffling in my casual decks whenever convenient. So the combo will only happen rarely & randomly.

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 3 years ago

Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

NZB2323

The sickest move with him I think actually involves Entomb. Entomb with his ability(and an enchantment to search for) means you can search your library for an enchantment card and put it on the battlefield.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

What about the enchantments that make everyone discard? Seems good since you can reanimate your enchantments anyway.
Bottomless Pit
Necrogen Mists
Oppression
Thoughtrender Lamia

I also think Sagas can be very good. The Eldest Reborn ?
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

NZB2323

Athreos, God of Passage kind of makes each enchantment creature fodder.
Current Decks

Retired Decks

Treamayne

NZB2323 wrote:
3 years ago
The sickest move with him I think actually involves Entomb. Entomb with his ability(and an enchantment to search for) means you can search your library for an enchantment card and put it on the battlefield.
NZB2323 wrote:
3 years ago
Athreos, God of Passage kind of makes each enchantment creature fodder.
If you are not responding to the conversation, is there a reason why you are post-padding rather than editing your previous message? Especially when adding only a single card idea/reference.
Last edited by Treamayne 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
V/R

Treamayne

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 3 years ago

Man, I need to build this and try it out. Love the idea of enchantment creatures and the everyone-discard stuff. Are there ways (in enchantments) to double activated abilities? Otherwise I think Rings is an autoinclude.

The new weird card that I like for this deck? Frenzied Fugue!
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

I think Sinister Concoction could do a lot of work here. It kills a creature, gives you a discard outlet for other enchantments, and can be recurred by Ghen. Heat Stroke could also be cool to have going in and out of your graveyard, especially to mess with opponents' combat steps.

I really like this commander, and it's the first one in a long time to really pique my interest.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 3 years ago

The sources of fodder that come to mind for me are Heliod, god of the sun or Daxos the returned, as an enchantment token generators. Alternatively, self recurring auras such as glistening oil, fallen ideal, or spirit loop. I use those and similar auras with Ertai, the corrupted as fodder, although I explicitly have an aura subtheme.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 3 years ago

Sun Titan, ordeals

Something must be said for Demonic Pact.

You could probably do some inelegant trick with Animate Dead and blink. Nothing Sun Titan hasn't done.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 3 years ago

There's got to be a deck here with Enduring Ideal right?

edit: Obligatory shout for Skybind too.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

You could get all controlly with stuff like Darksteel Mutation, Oubliette and Martial Impetus. Deafening Silence has done good work for me elsewhere too.

You could go for self-recurring enchantments - Fallen Ideal, Undying Rage and the white one I can't remember the name of, as well as Dragon Scales, Dragon Breath and Dragon Shadow.

Gotta be honest, I'm not 100% sure what the win condition is, but it seems a fun build.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Ertai Planeswalker

Post by Ertai Planeswalker » 3 years ago

Some offensive aura's will work as well. Even something simple as pacifism. Since he just puts the enchantment on the battlefield the ability won't target meaning you can pacify hexproof creatures.

Treamayne

Ertai Planeswalker wrote:
3 years ago
Some offensive aura's will work as well. Even something simple as pacifism. Since he just puts the enchantment on the battlefield the ability won't target meaning you can pacify hexproof/shroud creatures.
See CR 115.1b and 303.4f
115.1b Aura spells are always targeted. An Aura's target is specified by its enchant keyword ability
(see rule 702.5, "Enchant"). The target is chosen as the spell is cast; see rule 601.2c. An Aura
permanent doesn't target anything; only the spell is targeted. (An activated or triggered ability
of an Aura permanent can also be targeted.)

303.4f If an Aura is entering the battlefield under a player's control by any means other than by
resolving as an Aura spell, and the effect putting it onto the battlefield doesn't specify the object
or player the Aura will enchant, that player chooses what it will enchant as the Aura enters the
battlefield. The player must choose a legal object or player according to the Aura's enchant
ability and any other applicable effects.
V/R

Treamayne

Ertai Planeswalker

Treamayne wrote:
3 years ago
3 years ago
Some offensive aura's will work as well. Even something simple as pacifism. Since he just puts the enchantment on the battlefield the ability won't target meaning you can pacify hexproof/shroud creatures.
See CR 115.1b and 303.4f
115.1b Aura spells are always targeted. An Aura's target is specified by its enchant keyword ability
(see rule 702.5, "Enchant"). The target is chosen as the spell is cast; see rule 601.2c. An Aura
permanent doesn't target anything; only the spell is targeted. (An activated or triggered ability
of an Aura permanent can also be targeted.)

303.4f If an Aura is entering the battlefield under a player's control by any means other than by
resolving as an Aura spell, and the effect putting it onto the battlefield doesn't specify the object
or player the Aura will enchant, that player chooses what it will enchant as the Aura enters the
battlefield. The player must choose a legal object or player according to the Aura's enchant
ability and any other applicable effects.
I understand, but I believe the caveat here is that if you put it on the battlefield, it's not cast thus doesn't target. That's why it gets around shroud and hexproof which are basically just targeting restrictions. The last part of your second quote just means that the card you put it on must be able to be enchanted by the aura (no enchant land on a creature) and protection for example will still make the target illegal regardless (so no enchanting Black Knight with Pacifism this way).

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 3 years ago

Correct, this is how sun tits gets Prison Term onto the Sigardas of the world. It's an age old loophole of the format.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

Treamayne

3 years ago
I understand, but I believe the caveat here is that if you put it on the battlefield, it's not cast thus doesn't target. That's why it gets around shroud and hexproof which are basically just targeting restrictions. The last part of your second quote just means that the card you put it on must be able to be enchanted by the aura (no enchant land on a creature) and protection for example will still make the target illegal regardless (so no enchanting Black Knight with Pacifism this way).
I was not disagreeing with you.

It works,

I was simply providing the CR reference for those who might want to know *why* it works. Especially since, IIRC, pre-10th edition rules (or whenever they removed mana burn) it would not have worked.
V/R

Treamayne

Ertai Planeswalker

@Treamayne: Sorry I thought you thought it didn't work.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”