Tri-basic Rewarders

chochky
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by chochky » 4 years ago

(Excuse the odd thread name, but I didn't know how else to concisely name it)

Here's a cycle of cards that reward players for going monocolor in a simple way that I don't think I've seen done. I think this is a simple idea that could find it's way into a core set.

Steppe Sentinel W
Creature - Horse
As long as you control three or more Plains, Steppe Sentinel gets +1/+2 and has vigilance.
1/2

Coastal Philosopher 1U
Creature - Merfolk
U, T: Scry 1. Then if you control three or more Islands, scry 3.
1/3

Rotmarsh Dead 1B
Creature - Zombie
When Rotmarsh Dead enters the battlefield or dies, if you control three or more Swamps, up to one target creature gets -3/-3 until end of turn.
2/2

Canyon Howler 2R
Creature - Beast
Whenever Canyon Howler attacks, if you control three or more Mountains, it gets +3/+0 and gains menace until end of turn.
2/3

Vastwood Battalion 3G
Creature - Elf
Whenever Vastwood Battalion deals combat damage to a player, if you control three or more Forests, create a 3/3 green Elf Army creature token.
3/3

italofoca
Pronoun: he / him

Post by italofoca » 4 years ago

Pretty cool. Only problem is that the ability is not as meaningful in high cmc cards. For example, its unlikely you woukd ever play Canyon Hauler outside of monored (in constructed). Since its CMC is 3, the ability is essentially always activated unless you play some utility lands.

In cmc > 3 the scaling version (do X, where X is the numbet of [basic land] you control) or basic land fall will almost always accomplish the same while beign more exciting.

Still I think this mechanic is good and has its niche in the sense you want to reward monocolor but dont want things scaling up too much or maybe even make the cards still playable in two colors. I think it could work very well as a cycle of uncommon or rares.

NUMBERS

Post by NUMBERS » 4 years ago

I really like this idea as well.

I'm somewhat inclined to think some of the examples power levels seem a bit too high, but they illustrate the point well!
[FOB] Fallen Obalt | A custom set of Crime, Clues, and Sacrifice.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 4 years ago

yeah, I love these cards for the same reason Devotion works for me. I want monomaniac strategies to have advantages cos a lot of my fave sets were low on multicolour action. :3

an unsolicited mythic:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Alliteration Angel, 4W
Creature - Angel, M
As long as you control three or more Plains, Alliteration Angel gains +2/+0, flying and first strike.
As long as every land you control has the same name, Alliteration Angel gains +2/+0, lifelink and protection from instants.
3/4

chochky

Post by chochky » 4 years ago

italofoca wrote:
4 years ago
Pretty cool. Only problem is that the ability is not as meaningful in high cmc cards. For example, its unlikely you woukd ever play Canyon Hauler outside of monored (in constructed). Since its CMC is 3, the ability is essentially always activated unless you play some utility lands.
This is a good point. Kind of limits the mechanic to just one cycle, or changed to the scalable "X effect where X is the number of this basic land" variation for uncommon.

NUMBERS

Post by NUMBERS » 4 years ago

Could do something scaling like some Devotion cards:
Gray Merchant of Mercy
4bb
Creature - Horror
Lifelink
When Gray Merchant of Mercy enters the battlefield, it deals X damage to each opponent, where X is the number of swamps you control.
4/5

But that gets a bit away from the tri-basic theme...
[FOB] Fallen Obalt | A custom set of Crime, Clues, and Sacrifice.

Megatog201
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Megatog201 » 4 years ago

Could make that last one if you control 3 or more basic lands named swamp target player loses 3 life and you gain 3 life. Gets all gray merchant and rhino at the same time while fitting the theme.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”