Let's brew: Thrasios and Tormod lands

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

Thrasios, Triton Hero Tormod, the Desecrator
Field of the Dead Earthcraft

I've been brainstorming a field of the dead deck with tormod and thrasios for a minute and wanted to hit up the brain trust for any new ish cards that would fit the play lands from bin make zombies theme.

I have only been cursorily paying attention since Cultivator Colossus.

I'd be especially interested in more ways to trigger tormod fast. Dredge and lands from bin are easy. Stuff like Volrath's Stronghold etc.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

Perennial Behemoth and Conduit of Worlds seem obvious, though I am unsure how many of these you want in a deck.
I will check my muldrotha list later this week and see what else I put in that deck (it's a historic brawl lands deck)
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Treamayne
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Treamayne » 1 year ago

The Mending of Dominaria can trigger fast with proper set-up. I've had 8+ lands ETB when it triggers Chapter 3 (Field - only one Tormod trigger). If you are already running any of the play-lands-from-graveyard cards, adding Burgeoning can provide a steady supply of zombies.
Non-land:
Academy Ruins would be the artifact companion to Volrath's Stronghold.
Corpse Dance gives a buyback method of repeated GY to Battlefield.
Soldevi Digger can company can cycle back to the Library from the yard
Unfortunately, Time Spiral type effects will only get one trigger - but you can probably get some mileage from Gaea's Blessing style cantrips.
V/R

Treamayne

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

I'm not too sure about more recent cards, but as far as triggering Tormod, the Desecrator quickly? I briefly made a Tormod, the Desecrator/Ghost of Ramirez DePietro deck, so I'm sorry if you've already seen and considered all of these.

PSYCHATOG

It's hard to beat Titans' Nest here. Ramping and making zombies seems real good.

Escape is interesting. Cling to Dust gets 3 zombies if cast for its Escape cost, as does From the Catacombs with Initiative to boot. This requires a serious commitment to self-milling, though. Undead Butler gets 2 and helps fuel everything else.

Fungal Plots and Graf Harvest might be worth playing if you're leaning into Earthcraft or going wide.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 1 year ago

Perilous Forays is a nice one with Zombie tokens. Add Rootpath Purifier to pull out any lands.

Life from the Loam to trigger Tormod, the Desecrator with the dredge and then another trigger when you cast to get lands back.
Slogurk, the Overslime as another enabler. Being in Sultai gives you access to lands that can get back Slogurk like Memorial to Folly, Mortuary Mire, Port of Karfell, Takenuma, Abandoned Mire, Tomb Fortress, Volrath's Stronghold, Witch's Cottage.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

darrenhabib wrote:
1 year ago
Life from the Loam to trigger Tormod, the Desecrator with the dredge and then another trigger when you cast to get lands back.
Slogurk, the Overslime as another enabler. Being in Sultai gives you access to lands that can get back Slogurk like Memorial to Folly, Mortuary Mire, Port of Karfell, Takenuma, Abandoned Mire, Tomb Fortress, Volrath's Stronghold, Witch's Cottage.
Can confirm, Slogurk is a really nice engine all on its own. Works super great with dredge, cycling and being able to trigger at instant speed.

Although there aren't many good cards in the colors, retrace is a mechanic that plays nicely with Tormod. I have to wonder if there's room in the deck for an Eldrazi titan, too. Oh and Master of Death, Poxwalkers seem like must runs.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
darrenhabib wrote:
1 year ago
Can confirm, Slogurk is a really nice engine all on its own. Works super great with dredge, cycling and being able to trigger at instant speed.

Although there aren't many good cards in the colors, retrace is a mechanic that plays nicely with Tormod. I have to wonder if there's room in the deck for an Eldrazi titan, too. Oh and Master of Death, Poxwalkers seem like must runs.
I recommend a whole recursion package tbh. Buried Alive finds bloodghast, prized amalgam, and master of death for a sweet recurring board, and adding wonder or filth will let them and tormod's zombies swing in consistently.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

toctheyounger

Seems reasonable. You want single target stuff to trigger Tormod; mass reanimation still only yields one trigger.

pokken

Man I hesitate to make this another altar deck but man turning zombies into mana to fuel Thrasios, Triton Hero activations is sounding pretty gross. Not quite infinite but Ashnod's Altar + Field of the Dead gets pretty bananas fast :)

darrenhabib

Yeah if you're going to play graveyard recursion creatures then sacrifice outlets make them better to get value on your terms.
Gravecrawler as Tormod is a Zombie.

Phyrexian Reclamation for recursion.
Tortured Existence can be a Zombie token for each black you tap.

Rancor for something a little different. If you had a sac outlet them you can put the Rancor on the creature to get additional Tormod triggers.

Shigeki, Jukai Visionary is my favorite green card in years. Extremely versatile and powerful.

Bazaar of Baghdad for the full dredge experience.

toctheyounger

These you might've caught already or not otherwise be suitable, but Tasigur, the Golden Fang and maybe other delve variants could be worth. Tas gets you there on the cast and the activated ability too.

Also Deathrite Shaman. Like the card is amazing anyway, so you might as well make zombies as well mana or life or pinging opponents.

Edit - while I don't necessarily think it's a great pick here it's worth noting that Necropotence 's exile ability also isn't a replacement effect. Cards hit your graveyard one by one and are exiled one by one. Because it happens one at a time you'll get a Tormod trigger for each.

rogerandover

Post by rogerandover » 1 year ago

I feel like Drownyard Temple could pull some serious work if you have a way to sac it.

Also, with all the tokens, Dread Return would be a nice tech to have, that's almost free (if Tormod's online).

darrenhabib

toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
Edit - while I don't necessarily think it's a great pick here it's worth noting that Necropotence 's exile ability also isn't a replacement effect. Cards hit your graveyard one by one and are exiled one by one. Because it happens one at a time you'll get a Tormod trigger for each.
On that note you could use Bag of Holding, Currency Converter or Containment Construct in conjunction with draw and discard cards.
So things like Windfall, Jace's Archivist, Dark Deal, Whispering Madness, Ancient Excavation or slower things like Teferi, Master of Time, Jace, Vryn's Prodigy, Trade Routes.

darrenhabib

You can run any two shuffles into library creatures like Blightsteel Colossus, Darksteel Colossus, Vigor, Worldspine Wurm, Dread, Guile and use with Survival of the Fittest to get a trigger for each g you spend. Add Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth for more consistency.
Survival of the Fittest is kinda a must anyway if you run and bin Bloodghast, Master of Death, etc.

pokken

darrenhabib wrote:
1 year ago
You can run any two shuffles into library creatures like Blightsteel Colossus, Darksteel Colossus, Vigor, Worldspine Wurm, Dread, Guile and use with Survival of the Fittest to get a trigger for each g you spend. Add Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth for more consistency.
Survival of the Fittest is kinda a must anyway if you run and bin Bloodghast, Master of Death, etc.
That's a real good idea, I've been looking for a deck to put my survival in too.

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 1 year ago

pokken wrote:
1 year ago
darrenhabib wrote:
1 year ago
That's a real good idea, I've been looking for a deck to put my survival in too.
Tortured Existence does it for , is a bit cheaper to cast and can be done with any two creatures as long as one is in the GY. Though Survival has other utility of course. But it doesn't require two slots to shuffle creatures. This and Survival double up on cheap zombie makers. And both facilitated by either Yavimaya or Urborg.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”