Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 3 months ago

*Emerges from booster pack already damaged.*

Ok, let's go!
chetoos wrote:
3 months ago
Quickdraw Minotaur 2R
Creature - Minotaur Warrior (C)
Quickdraw (Split Second, but you can respond to quickdraw spells and abilities from quickdraw sources with other quickdraw sources and spells.)
When Quickdraw Minotaur enters the battlefield, it deals 2 damage to any target.
"Angrath's girls are gonna love me once I win this gunfight!"
2/3

Swiftcrafter Snake 1G
Creature - Snake Shaman (C)
: Add
Spells you cast with Quickdraw cost less to cast
"We don't sell snakeskin boots, stop asking."
1/1

Thunder Junction Sheriff 2W
Creature - Bird Warrior
Flying
When Thunder Junction Sheriff enters the battlefield, detain target creature an opponent controls.
In Thunder Junction, the law above is more literal than in most other places.
2/2

Swiftspell Researcher 3U
Creature - Merfolk Wizard
As an additional cost to cast an instant or sorcery spell, you may tap Swiftspell Researcher. If you do, that spell gains quickdraw.
Fastest books in the west.
3/3

Belligerent Outlaw 2B
art: A human with bushy red hair and beard, brandishing two guns.
Creature - Human Rogue
Whenever Belligerent Outlaw attacks, target creature defending player controls gets -2/-2 until end of turn.
"I tells ya, Vraska, that varmint won't escape me this time!"
2/3

IIW: a mutate payoff with a way to give a creature a mutate cost
I think these are too powerful to be commons, especially that red Minotaur, which I think almost qualifies as a rare, and the Belligerent Outlaw. Out of all of these, I think only the Thunder Junction Sheriff really feels like a common.
Ulka wrote:
3 months ago
Joke
Show
Hide
Loam Lion W
Creature - Cat (C)
Loam Lion gets +1/+2 as long as you control a Forest.
In Zendikar, today's grassland could be tomorrow's jungle, and hunting grounds change as quickly as the weather.
1/1
Serious Answer
Show
Hide
Cliffside Hyena W
Creature - Hyena (C)
Clifftop Hyena gets +1/+2 as long as you control a Mountain.
"When the cliffs laugh, the end is nigh."
1/1
IIW: Cards for a Zoo archetype in a cube setting
You really want another Kird Ape for Pauper, huh? Hyena seems fine, although I feel it outperforms Kird Ape because I think it performs better in Boros decks than Kird Ape in Gruul decks.
lookingupanddown wrote:
3 months ago
Wartime Conscript 1W
Creature - Peasant Soldier (Common)
3WW, : Creatures you control get +2/+1 until end of turn. Activate only if you control six or more Soldiers and only once per turn.
A deck can have any number of cards named Wartime Conscript.
1/1

IIW: Amalia Benavides Aguirre in Murders at Karlov Manor
Ah, this seems just about right.
OneAndOnly wrote:
3 months ago
Field Medic -- W
Creature - Human Soldier {C}
Whenever Field Medic blocks, put a shield counter on target creature you control.
1/1

Deft Aerialist --2U
Creature - Human Wizard {C}
When Deft Aerialist enters the battlefield, put a flying counter on target creature.
U, T: Tap or untap target creature with flying.
1/3

Cunning Necrosavant -- 1B
Creature - Human Shaman {C}
Whenever a creature card is put into your graveyard, you may put another creature card in your graveyard on top of your library.
1/2

Powerplant Operator -- 2R
Creature - Human Civilian {C}
T. Sacrifice Powerplant Operator: Whenever you tap a land for mana this turn, add an additional R and put a stun counter on that land.
2/2

Ruthless Harvester -- G
Creature - Human Druid {C}
T: Untap target land that could produce G. Put a stun counter on it.
1/1

Next: What Came Before
Hmm, if Field Medic ends up with a shield counter to begin with it can basically block indefinitely. Similarly, I can't help but feel the Necrosavant can enable some sort of loop.

Deft Aerialist seems just about right, but as for the two mana dorks, I think we're gonna need a bit of playtesting to see how that stun counter plays out.
Ulka wrote:
3 months ago
Terror of Unx 5B
Creature - Demon (C)
Flying, Trample
Domain — This spell costs 1 less to cast for each basic land type among lands you control.
"The Necropolis of Unx swarmed with Undead in the streets but the skies were even more terrifying."
3/4

Radiance of the Conflux 1W
Enchantment - Aura (C)
Enchant land
When Radiance of the Conflux enters the battlefield, search your library for a basic land card, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle.
Enchanted land is every basic land type in addition to its other types.

IIW; Domain
These are interesting ideas, but I think the Demon is a little too good, maybe better with a really janky MV like 7-9.

Radiance seems more green currently than white.

Winner:
OneAndOnly for Deft Aerialist

Next:
What Came Before
Last edited by Sporegorger_Dragon 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 3 months ago

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
3 months ago
I think these are too powerful to be commons, especially that red Minotaur, which I think almost qualifies as a rare, and the Belligerent Outlaw. Out of all of these, I think only the Thunder Junction Sheriff really feels like a common.
They have been beefing up commons recently for limited, but I understand where you're coming from.
Also, I'm a little bit sad that you didn't pick up on either reference I made in the Belligerent Outlaw. (Art description and flavor text referencing Yosemite Sam, and the Belligerent being the name of Vraska's pirate ship in the Ixalan story.)

chetoos

Azor, Planeswalker Parun 4wu
Legendary Planeswalker - Azor
+1 - detain up to 2 target creatures
-3 - draw a card for each creature target opponent controls that didn't attack last turn.
-8 - You gain an emblem with "Whenever you attack, detain X target nonland permanents, where X is the number of cards you've drawn this turn."

IIW: Mutate payoff, and a way to give creatures mutate. Or Toons (looney or otherwise)
Last edited by chetoos 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Had you emphasized moustache, I might've got it ;)

Angrath, Whippersnapper
1{B}{R}
Creature - Minotaur Warrior (U)
Haste
When Angrath, Whippersnapper enters the battlefield, choose one-
-Target creature can't block this turn.
-Goad target creature.
3/2
His nickname comes not from his youth, but from his skill with burning chains, controlling the fight by either pulling from or into danger.

IIW: Lizard

Phyrexian Editor

Post by Phyrexian Editor » 3 months ago

Unbroken Lineage 4w
Sorcery {R}
You may return a creature card with mana value 1 from your graveyard to the battlefield. Then, if you returned a creature this way, you may return another creature card with mana value one higher than the previous card, then repeat this process.
"Raising a child is a path to triumph over entropy that is open to each living thing." -Teferi Akosa

IIW: Reconfigure

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 3 months ago

Biomancer Simic GGGUUU
Legendary Creature — Crab Elf Wizard (M)
When Biomancer Simic enters the battlefield, distribute X +1/+1 counters among creatures you control, where X is the total power of creatures you control.
Whenever one or more +1/+1 counters are put on another creature you control, put a +1/+1 counter on Biomancer Simic.
Creatures you control with three or more +1/+1 counters on them have trample.
3/3

IIW: Astrology and tarot
Last edited by spacemonaut 3 months ago, edited 3 times in total.

chetoos

Oswald, the lucky rabbit 2ww
Legendary Toon Creature - Rabbit Pilot (It seems like he's related to a vehicle in multiple shorts, so pilot makes the most sense. Toon is a supertype like Legendary, can go on any card. Mostly there as a mechanical marker.)
Vehicle spells you cast cost less to cast.
Oswald crews vehicles as though its power was 2 higher.
Whenever Oswald crews a vehicle, that vehicle becomes a Toon until end of turn.
2/4

IIW: Toons (Looney or otherwise.)

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 3 months ago

I find I prefer prompts that are open to interpretation rather than narrow and specific ones. "What Came Before" sounds dramatic and all, but allows for quite a range of responses. Great job by everyone who contributed!

chetoos wrote:
3 months ago
Azor, Planeswalker Parun 4wu
Legendary Planeswalker - Azor
+1 - detain up to 2 target creatures
-3 - draw a card for each creature target opponent controls that didn't attack last turn.
-8 - You gain an emblem with "Whenever you attack, detain X target nonland permanents, where X is the number of cards you've drawn this turn."
Points off for templating (y'all know how to use capital letters, c'mon....) This feels very Azorius,and very planeswalker-y, including hitting the usual PW +/-/ult benchmarks. "Didn't attack last turn" isn't quite formal MTGese, and could get very swingy in multiplayer games, since you can target an oppponent who couldn't attack last turn.

It does feel a little weak for a 6 CMC planeswalker, especially given that it can't win a game on its own. I've come to understand how detaining creatures feels a little griefer-y; you sink the resources into casting something with feet, only to find you can't put it to use. Not sure how I'd improve that. But our friend Azor here does much to stall a game, rather than advance it.

3 months ago
Had you emphasized moustache, I might've got it ;)

Hate to say it, but I didn't get the Yosemite Sam reference either!

Angrath, Whippersnapper
1{B}{R}
Creature - Minotaur Warrior (U)
Haste
When Angrath, Whippersnapper enters the battlefield, choose one-
-Target creature can't block this turn.
-Goad target creature.
3/2
His nickname comes not from his youth, but from his skill with burning chains, controlling the fight by either pulling from or into danger.
Cool, this might even get a pass as a common. I'm not in love with the name, or the explain-the-joke style flavor text. Other than that, cool card!
Small deduction in that flavor text should precede P/T.

Phyrexian Editor wrote:
3 months ago
Unbroken Lineage 4w
Sorcery {R}
You may return a creature card with mana value 1 from your graveyard to the battlefield. Then, if you returned a creature this way, you may return another creature card with mana value one higher than the previous card, then repeat this process.
"Raising a child is a path to triumph over entropy that is open to each living thing." -Teferi Akosa
Kind of an opposite-day Massacre Girl! Like cascade decks, it rewards careful construction, though it is open to graveyard disruption. The appeal of returning a chain of creatures is pretty high, and depending on ETB effects you might not even need more than two or three to get a decent pay-off.

That being said, the actual wording could use some tightening. "Repeat this process" makes it sound as if you repeat the 1MV-2MV sequence, rhather than 1MV - 2MV - 3MV ... , which is what I believe is intended.

spacemonaut wrote:
3 months ago
Biomancer Simic GGGUUU
Legendary Creature — Crab Elf Wizard (M)
When Biomancer Simic enters the battlefield, distribute X +1/+1 counters among creatures you control, where X is the total power of creatures you control.
Whenever one or more +1/+1 counters are put on another creature you control, put a +1/+1 counter on Biomancer Simic.
Creatures you control with three or more +1/+1 counters on them have trample.
3/3
That's a lot of buff! Even if you have no creatures on the field, this at least doubles the Biomancer's size (and gives it trample). With three other creatures on the field, you get a similar effect, or even more. This does Goofy Stuff with a card like Mirror Box in play.

chetoos wrote:
3 months ago
Oswald, the lucky rabbit 2ww
Legendary Toon Creature - Rabbit Pilot (It seems like he's related to a vehicle in multiple shorts, so pilot makes the most sense. Toon is a supertype like Legendary, can go on any card. Mostly there as a mechanical marker.)
Vehicle spells you cast cost less to cast.
Oswald crews vehicles as though its power was 2 higher.
Whenever Oswald crews a vehicle, that vehicle becomes a Toon until end of turn.
2/4
Heheheh, now that it's public domain, take it and run with it as far as you can! I guess cars make sense for that era (since they were the Hot New Thing). I'd be interested in what you do with Toon, since they're often exempted from real-world physics and consequences.

Best In Show: Sporegorger_Dragon's Angrath, Whippersnapper
Next: Lizard (not Wizard)

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Blizzard Lizard 2U
Snow Creature — Elemental Lizard (U)
When Blizzard Lizard enters the battlefield and at the beginning of your upkeep, you may pay . When you do, tap target creature you control and target creature you don't control. Put a stun counter on each of them.
2/2

chetoos

Prince Snizzard, the Blizzard Lizard 2WU
Legendary snow Creature - Lizard Noble
Whenever one or more creatures attack you or a planeswalker you control, put a stun counter on up to one target attacking creature.
Whenever a stun counter is removed from a creature, you may pay . If you do, draw a card.
3/4

IIW: Toons (Looney or otherwise)

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Lizard Vizard 1R
Enchantment — Aura (U)
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 for each Mountain you control.
Umbra armor

Next: Astrology, tarot, and the stars

chetoos

Lizard Blizzard 5GU
Enchantment
Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, create X 1/1 green lizard creature tokens, where X is that spell's mana value.
Cycling XGU
When you cycle Lizard Blizzard, create X 1/1 green lizard creature tokens.
"I've heard of shark typhoons, but this is ridiculous." - Groncho Mark, Drannith Trapper

Sporegorger_Dragon

*sheds skin, only to emerged fully-clothed*

Right then, off we go!
spacemonaut wrote:
3 months ago
Blizzard Lizard 2U
Snow Creature — Elemental Lizard (U)
When Blizzard Lizard enters the battlefield and at the beginning of your upkeep, you may pay . When you do, tap target creature you control and target creature you don't control. Put a stun counter on each of them.
2/2

Interesting, a tapper that doesn't actually use the tap symbol, almost like a blue tapper with haste. Yeah, I can see this working.
chetoos wrote:
3 months ago
Prince Snizzard, the Blizzard Lizard 2WU
Legendary snow Creature - Lizard Noble
Whenever one or more creatures attack you or a planeswalker you control, put a stun counter on up to one target attacking creature.
Whenever a stun counter is removed from a creature, you may pay . If you do, draw a card.
3/4

Hmm, very interesting "stun counters" legendary. Good call to have a mana payment attached, so that it also triggers off of your own creatures getting unstunned.
spacemonaut wrote:
3 months ago
Lizard Vizard 1R
Enchantment — Aura (U)
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 for each Mountain you control.
Umbra armor

Next: Astrology, tarot, and the stars
Um, yes, another rhyming entry (checks prompt), huh, you're all so playful this round.

Anyway, this would be the first Umbra Armor card in red, but it seems undercosted; similar effects in green and white cost 3 and 4, respectively, plus there's the added armor for more value. This could maybe work as a rare.
chetoos wrote:
3 months ago
Lizard Blizzard 5GU
Enchantment
Whenever you cast a noncreature spell, create X 1/1 green lizard creature tokens, where X is that spell's mana value.
Cycling XGU
When you cycle Lizard Blizzard, create X 1/1 green lizard creature tokens.
"I've heard of shark typhoons, but this is ridiculous." - Groncho Mark, Drannith Trapper

All right, what is going on? Not only our fourth rhyming card but our third entry based on the same rhyme. Am I missing something?

I would've appreciated at least one Gizzard Lizard.

Anyway, on its own merits, an interesting riff on Shark Typhoon, and neat that the addition of green makes you go wide instead of consolidating all power in a single token.

Winner:
chetoos for both Lizard Blizzard and the Blizzard Lizard Prince Snizzard

Next:
Toons (Looney or otherwise)

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 3 months ago

Toon World W
Enchantment
When Toon World is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, sacrifice all Toon creatures you control.

Manga Shivan 2RR
Creature - Dragon Toon
You can only cast Manga Shivan if you control an enchantment named Toon World.
Manga Shivan can't be blocked by non-toon creatures.
R: Manga Shivan gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
5/5

IIW: Universe Beyond for other card games
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Sporegorger_Dragon

Ulka wrote:
3 months ago
Toon World W
Enchantment
When Toon World is put into a graveyard from the battlefield, sacrifice all Toon creatures you control.
With a name like that, and you passed on the World supertype? ;)

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 2 months ago

3 months ago
Ulka wrote:
3 months ago
Toon World W
Enchantment
With a name like that, and you passed on the World supertype? ;)
I know! sadly as i was just ripping yugioh off directly I couldn't make it a world.

chetoos

Post by chetoos » 2 months ago

Anyone else wanna pull something from hammerspace, and post their design?

Ulka

ACME Anvil 4
Artifact
Just a second
When you cast ACME Anvil, drop it onto the battlefield from a height of at least three feet.
When ACME Anvil enters the battlefield, destroy any creatures or planeswalkers it touched as it enters.
Equipment cost 1 less to cast.

IIW: Universe Beyond for other card/board games

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 2 months ago

Sketched Wolf 1W
Creature - Inkling Wolf (U)
Vigilance
Comic violence - B, T: Exile target creature card from a graveyard. You gain life equal to that card's power. Activate only if a source you control has dealt excess damage this turn.
2/1

IIW: Backup
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer

Post by spacemonaut » 2 months ago

Hammerspace Bag 3G
Artifact (R)
When Hammerspace Bag enters the battlefield, exile the top six cards of your library face down.
You may look at cards exiled with Hammerspace Bag.
Once each turn, you may cast a permanent spell from among cards exiled with Hammerspace Bag.
, : Exile target permanent you control face down.

IIW: Westerns

chetoos

The licensing deal from Warner Bros and Disney say that each pair of characters has to have exactly the same number of letters of judgement... none it is!
Ulka wrote:
3 months ago
Toon World W
Enchantment

Manga Shivan 2RR
Creature - Dragon Toon
You can only cast Manga Shivan if you control an enchantment named Toon World.
Manga Shivan can't be blocked by non-toon creatures.
R: Manga Shivan gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
5/5

IIW: Universe Beyond for other card games
Wizards would never publish these cards... without a way for a commander to serve as toon world instead. I see what you're doing, Ulka-boy, though, and fair enough.
Ulka wrote:
2 months ago
ACME Anvil 4
Artifact
Just a second
When you cast ACME Anvil, drop it onto the battlefield from a height of at least three feet.
When ACME Anvil enters the battlefield, destroy any creatures or planeswalkers it touched as it enters.
Equipment cost 1 less to cast.

IIW: Universe Beyond for other card/board games
Now this is more like it. Using existing un mechanics to design a looney toons UB card, I like it.
void_nothing wrote:
2 months ago
Sketched Wolf 1W
Creature - Inkling Wolf (U)
Vigilance
Comic violence - B, T: Exile target creature card from a graveyard. You gain life equal to that card's power. Activate only if a source you control has dealt excess damage this turn.
2/1

IIW: Backup
If you haven't read Grant Morrison's animal man run, this might go over your head, but this felt like a good Coyote Gospel riff. I like using inkling as a way to make a toon a creature.
spacemonaut wrote:
2 months ago
Hammerspace Bag 3G
Artifact (R)
When Hammerspace Bag enters the battlefield, exile the top six cards of your library face down.
You may look at cards exiled with Hammerspace Bag.
Once each turn, you may cast a permanent spell from among cards exiled with Hammerspace Bag.
, : Exile target permanent you control face down.

IIW: Westerns
Wow, the closest we got to an actual toon character in here is just wile E Coyote up there. Surprising. Still, a good representation of what it is, though being able to loop Craterhoof sounds terrifying.

Winner: void_nothing
Next: Backup.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 months ago

Ingenious Scaleblade
2{R}{R}
Creature - Viashino Warrior (U)
Backup 1
Haste
Mentor
3/1
Viashino warriors learned new battle tactics from others right in the midst of aiding them.

Colossaraptor
5{G}{G}
Creature - Dinosaur (U)
Backup 2, backup 2
Trample
4/3
Hope that it decides it's on your side.

Sporecanopy Mycoderm
4{G}
Creature - Fungus Druid (C)
Backup 1, backup 1
When this creature dies, create a 1/1 green Saproling creature token for each counter on it.
2/4
It grants a disgusting and itchy boon, but a boon nonetheless.

IIW: Attempts by the Golgari to rehabilitate their image

chetoos

James Buchanan Barnes 2WB
Legendary Creature - Human Soldier
Backup 1
Skulk
Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, that player discards a card. If that card was a land card, you draw a card.
When this creature dies, create a 6/6 white and black human soldier creature token named "Winter Soldier".
2/2

IIW: Mechanics you'd like to see show up in future sets that we know about.
Last edited by chetoos 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 2 months ago

Cheers, thanks for the win, and I hope to judge tomorrow.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Ulka

Paladin of the Sky Legion
Creature - Human Knight (U)
Backup 1, Backup 1
Flying, Haste
Whenever Paladin of the Sky Legion attacks, create a 1/1 white Soldier creature token that's tapped and attacking.
2/2

IIW: Boros Legion Cards

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”