NEXUS FLAMINGO ☆ Exclusively For Custom Card Connoisseurs and Gnomes

Ulka
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ulka » 2 months ago

Homegrown Bulter BG
Creature - Zombie Fungus Citizen
When Homegrown Butler blocks, support X where X is equal to the number of creatures in your graveyard.
"Harmless unless to their own devices"
0/2

IIW:Boros Legions new military units after * gestures to every ravnica story we've gotten in the past decade*
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 2 months ago

*crawls out of sewer, half-drowned*

Right, let's get on with it.
chetoos wrote:
2 months ago
Rotting Smiler 2BB
Art: A mound of shambling fungus, with a smile haphazardly taped on the front.
Creature - Fungus
Whenever one or more creature cards are put into your graveyard from anywhere, or removed from your graveyard, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature you control. This ability only triggers once each turn.
Creatures you control with +1/+1 counters on them have lifelink.
"People like it when you smile, right?"
2/4

IIW: Mechanics you want to see in upcoming sets.
I actually quite like the whole visual being suggested here, a horrifying shambling fungal horror made worse by the scrawled face.

My only change would be that the smile be either painted on or "grown" by carefully cultivated mold.
OneAndOnly wrote:
2 months ago
Grant from the Undercrypt - 2BG
Sorcery {R}
For each player, choose a creature card in that player's graveyard and return it to the battlefield under that player's control. Then, distribute amongst them a decayed counter, a finality counter, and a deathtouch counter.

Next: The first card you posted on Nexus.
Hmmm, interesting effect, but would it really be worth it?

Golgari trying to share in the benefits of necromancy. It's altruism, right?
spacemonaut wrote:
2 months ago
Please Take One BG
Enchantment
Whenever a creature enters the battlefield, put a spore counter on it. For as long as it has a spore counter on it, it has ", , Remove a spore counter from this creature: You gain 3 life."
Whenever a creature with a spore counter on it dies, you create a 1/1 black Fungus creature token with "This creature can't block" and with a finality counter in it. (If a creature with a finality counter on it would die, exile it instead.)

IIW: Minotaurs
I like what is being suggested here, a Golgari attendant with a tray of "samples", except the samples are all corpse fungi.

I understand that you meant to prevent an infinite loop here; I wonder if a simple nontoken clause would have solved more elegantly.
Ulka wrote:
2 months ago
Homegrown Bulter BG
Creature - Zombie Fungus Citizen
When Homegrown Butler blocks, support X where X is equal to the number of creatures in your graveyard.
"Harmless unless to their own devices"
0/2

IIW:Boros Legions new military units after * gestures to every ravnica story we've gotten in the past decade*
The Golgari attempting to fill the new vacancies left by recent events. I assume the flavor text is meant to be "unless left to their own devices".

The first time I read this, I parsed it as bolster X instead of support X. As-is, support is more suitable at that cost, but now I'm wondering about a bolster variant.

Results:
HM: spacemonaut

Winner:
chetoos
I honestly chose Rotting Smiler as the winner as soon as I saw it last night.

Next:
Mechanics you want to see in upcoming sets.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

chetoos
Answers: 3

Post by chetoos » 2 months ago

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
2 months ago
I actually quite like the whole visual being suggested here, a horrifying shambling fungal horror made worse by the scrawled face.
Is it funnier if it's a whole face scrawled on, or just the smile?

Sporegorger_Dragon

chetoos wrote:
2 months ago
2 months ago
Is it funnier if it's a whole face scrawled on, or just the smile?
I envisioned the traditional simple "smily face", of two dots and a curved line.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 2 months ago

Very correct, and this got me thinking: "Cast without paying its mana cost" is one of those effects that isn't really a mechanic unto itself, it's more of a tool to make things work correctly, so it's something every color can get to some extent.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

chetoos

Can be new or returning mechanics. Just wanna see what you think fits the world

Sporegorger_Dragon

Duels are an integral part of cowboy courtship rituals.

Cotton-Eyed Joe
1{W}{B}{R}
Legendary Artifact Creature - Scarecrow (M)
First strike, menace
Whenever Cotton-Eyed Joe attacks alone, clash with a defending player. If you win, gain control of target creature that player controls until end of turn, untap it and it gains haste until end of turn, then if it's the first combat phase of the turn, there is an additional combat phase after this phase.
4/2

IIW: Candy/sweets monster from Sweettooth

chetoos

Judging tonight. Looking forward to what mechanics, new or returning, you think might be in Thunder Junction... Bloomburrow... return to llorwyn, return to tarkir...

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Bring back fear just for Duskmourn. Bad play patterns or not the flavor is spot on.

Things in the Boiler 1RR
Creature - Elemental Horror (R)
Prowess, fear
Whenever Things in the Boiler is dealt damage, create a token that's a copy of it.
1/3

IIW: Midnight Clock/Cursed Mirror-style artifacts
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Sporegorger_Dragon

For Lorwyn:

Lovebug Faerie
2{U}{B}
Creature - Faerie Rogue (M)
Flying
When this creature enters the battlefield or transforms into Lovebug Faerie, draw a card and create a 1/1 blue and black Faerie Rogue creature token with flying.
Daybound
3/2
==============
Heartbreak Sprite
Creature - Faerie Rogue (UB)
Flying
When this creature enters the battlefield or transforms into Heartbreak Sprite, choose one -
-Target opponent discards a card and loses 2 life.
-Target opponent sacrifices a creature.
Nightbound
4/3

I realize that the Faerie deck playstyle is going to be at odds with maintaining nightbound, so I envision the archetype to instead focus on the day-night switch, forcing the change through various spells and abilities, like with Firmament Sage.

Bargaining Pixie
2{U}
Creature - Faerie Warlock (U)
Bargain
Flying
When Bargaining Pixie enters the battlefield, if it was bargained, return another target nonland permanent to its owner's hand.
2/2
"That's a nice curse ya got there. Wanna trade?"

chetoos

Sorry for the judging delay. Turns out the return to Tarkir has suspend, and I got suspended.
2 months ago
Duels are an integral part of cowboy courtship rituals.

Cotton-Eyed Joe
1{W}{B}{R}
Legendary Artifact Creature - Scarecrow (M)
First strike, menace
Whenever Cotton-Eyed Joe attacks alone, clash with a defending player. If you win, gain control of target creature that player controls until end of turn, untap it and it gains haste until end of turn, then if it's the first combat phase of the turn, there is an additional combat phase after this phase.
4/2

Where did this design come from? It's very exciting. I'm not sure it needs to be full Mardu, though the first strike and menace is a potent combo.
void_nothing wrote:
2 months ago
Bring back fear just for Duskmourn. Bad play patterns or not the flavor is spot on.

Things in the Boiler 1RR
Creature - Elemental Horror (R)
Prowess, fear
Whenever Things in the Boiler is dealt damage, create a token that's a copy of it.
1/3

IIW: Midnight Clock/Cursed Mirror-style artifacts
I agree that some kind of fear mechanic is probably coming, but I think it'll be an ability word: Fear Itself - When something happens, do this.
2 months ago
For Lorwyn:

Lovebug Faerie
2{U}{B}
Creature - Faerie Rogue (M)
Flying
When this creature enters the battlefield or transforms into Lovebug Faerie, draw a card and create a 1/1 blue and black Faerie Rogue creature token with flying.
Daybound
3/2
==============
Heartbreak Sprite
Creature - Faerie Rogue (UB)
Flying
When this creature enters the battlefield or transforms into Heartbreak Sprite, choose one -
-Target opponent discards a card and loses 2 life.
-Target opponent sacrifices a creature.
Nightbound
4/3

I realize that the Faerie deck playstyle is going to be at odds with maintaining nightbound, so I envision the archetype to instead focus on the day-night switch, forcing the change through various spells and abilities, like with Firmament Sage.

Bargaining Pixie
2{U}
Creature - Faerie Warlock (U)
Bargain
Flying
When Bargaining Pixie enters the battlefield, if it was bargained, return another target nonland permanent to its owner's hand.
2/2
"That's a nice curse ya got there. Wanna trade?"

Day/Night definitely makes sense for Llorwyn, but I'm not sure about bargain outside of the faeries. Still, I liked Day/Night, and it fits perfectly with Llorwyn, so good job.

Winner: @Sporegorger_Dragon
Next: Candy/Sweets monster from Sweettooth.

Sporegorger_Dragon

chetoos wrote:
2 months ago
Where did this design come from?
Meant to be from Thunder Junction.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

2 months ago
And where did it go

Sporegorger_Dragon

void_nothing wrote:
2 months ago
2 months ago
And where did it go
That's why Oko's on Thunder Junction in the first place.

EDIT: OH CHETOOS WAS MAKING A JOKE

chetoos

2 months ago
void_nothing wrote:
2 months ago
2 months ago
And where did it go
That's why Oko's on Thunder Junction in the first place.

EDIT: OH CHETOOS WAS MAKING A JOKE
If it hadn't been for cotton eyed joe, I'd have won this draft a long time ago.

spacemonaut
Bauble reclaimer
Answers: 10
Pronoun: she / her

Post by spacemonaut » 2 months ago

@Sporegorger_Dragon what is this sweettooth thing? Could you elaborate a little bit on the prompt?

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 2 months ago

Gumball Machine -- 3
Artifact
T, Pay E: Add two of U, B, R, {purple}, {yellow} or {pink} at random.

Jellybean Monster -- 4
Legendary Creature - Sugar Beast
When Jellybean Monster enters the battlefield, you get a cavity.
Gummy (Reduce all damage that would be dealt to or dealt by Jellybean Monster by the number of cavities you have.)
Craving (Whenever a spell or ability would allow a player to gain control of a creature, they must target this creature if able.)
3/3

Saccharine Overdose -- WWWW
Sorcery
Target player gets a cavity. Distribute five stun counters among permanents they control.

Next: Universe Beyond: Chess
Last edited by OneAndOnly 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

chetoos

spacemonaut wrote:
2 months ago
@Sporegorger_Dragon what is this sweettooth thing? Could you elaborate a little bit on the prompt?
Sweettooth is the name of the town in Eldraine that has been taken over/subsumed by living candy/sweets. It appears referenced on several cards from Wilds of Eldraine, such as Mintstrosity, Devouring Sugarmaw // Have for Dinner, and Night of the Sweets' Revenge

chetoos

Butterfingers 2BB
Art: A humanoid figure made of sweetbread, covered in a thick butter glaze. Its fingers/claws drip with the oils, leaving slick gashes when it slashes something
Creature - Horror
First strike
Butterfingers can't have permanents attached to it.
When Butterfingers deals combat damage to a creature, put a butter counter on it. That creature can't have permanents attached to it for as long as it has a butter counter on it. (This removes auras and equipments attached to that creature.)
3/3

It's meant to be a way to get role tokens off of your opponents in WoE limited. I'm unsure if it should also affect other counters or not. Decided against also affecting counters

IIW: what if different planeswalkers were compleated during the phyrexian arc?
Last edited by chetoos 2 months ago, edited 2 times in total.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Judging tonight.

Sporegorger_Dragon

*crack open candy shell, emerges covered in caramel*

Welp, that didn't pan out so well, so on with it.
OneAndOnly wrote:
2 months ago
Gumball Machine -- 3
Artifact
T, Pay E: Add two of U, B, R, {purple}, {yellow} or {pink} at random.

Jellybean Monster -- 4
Legendary Creature - Sugar Beast
When Jellybean Monster enters the battlefield, you get a cavity.
Gummy (Reduce all damage that would be dealt to or dealt by Jellybean Monster by the number of cavities you have.)
Craving (Whenever a spell or ability would allow a player to gain control of a creature, they must target this creature if able.)
3/3

Saccharine Overdose -- WWWW
Sorcery
Target player gets a cavity. Distribute five stun counters among permanents they control.

Next: Universe Beyond: Chess
Well, I like Gumball Machine as a stand-alone Uncard, but Jellybean Monster and Saccharine Overdose are a little hard to judge in a vacuum. Cavity counters seem to discourage you from playing Jellybean Monster and other candy monsters, I'm not sure if this was your intent.
chetoos wrote:
2 months ago
Butterfingers 2BB
Art: A humanoid figure made of sweetbread, covered in a thick butter glaze. Its fingers/claws drip with the oils, leaving slick gashes when it slashes something
Creature - Horror
First strike
Butterfingers can't have permanents attached to it.
When Butterfingers deals combat damage to a creature, put a butter counter on it. That creature can't have permanents attached to it for as long as it has a butter counter on it. (This removes auras and equipments attached to that creature.)
3/3

It's meant to be a way to get role tokens off of your opponents in WoE limited. I'm unsure if it should also affect other counters or not. Decided against also affecting counters

IIW: what if different planeswalkers were compleated during the phyrexian arc?
Interesting! Although I'm not sure about first strike on non-Knight black creatures. Otherwise, the design is mechanically sound, but I fear Butterfingers as in candy is a trademaked name, might have to go with Butterscotch (Butterscathe?) instead.

Winner:
chetoos

Next:
What if different planeswalkers were compleated during the Phyrexian arc?

chetoos

These don't have to be compleated walkers, they can be just cards referencing who got compleated instead. Maybe Jaya was the sleeper Agent in DMU

Sporegorger_Dragon

Desecrate
{U}{U}{B}
Instant (M)
Counter target spell, activated ability, or triggered ability. If the ability of a creature, enchantment, or planeswalker is countered this way, destroy that permanent.
Hope died with Teferi's compleation.

Remember Teferi's Response before?

Sarkhan the Broken

Legendary Planeswalker - Sarkhan (M)
Compleated
+1: Exile the top two cards of your library. Until the end of your next turn, you may play those cards.
-3: Sarkhan the Broken deals 3 damage to target creature or planeswalker and 3 damage to its controller.
-8: Create a 6/6 black and red Phyrexian Dragon artifact creature token with flying, menace and trample. Cast any number of Dragon cards exiled with Sarkhan without paying their mana costs.
<7>

IIW: Insect

lookingupanddown

Post by lookingupanddown » 2 months ago

The Twin Thanes 2(u/r/p)B
Legendary Planeswalker - Will Rowan
Compleated
Whenever you cast or copy an instant or sorcery spell, each opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.
+1: Surveil 1. Create a 2/2 blue and red Phyrexian Elemental creature token.
-9: You gain an emblem with "At the beginning of your upkeep, scry 1, then reveal the top card of your library. If an instant or sorcery card is revealed this way, exile it. Until the end of your next turn, you may cast that spell without paying its mana cost."

Grim Resolution 3BG
Instant
Destroy target nonland permanent. If a creature or planeswalker is destroyed this way, return target permanent card from your graveyard to your hand.
"Against the Phyrexians I fought alongside Algenus and Linden, fought for Erec and Hazel, and fought against Will and Rowan. My oath has ended, but at what cost?"
—Garruk Wildspeaker

IIW: Amalia Benavides Aguirre in Murders at Karlov Manor

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 2 months ago

Grist, Hunger of the Many (B/g/p)
Legendary Planeswalker - Grist
Compleated ((b/g/p) can be paid with G, B, or 2 life. If life was paid, this planeswalker enters with two fewer loyalty counters.)
As long as Grist, Hunger of the Many isn't on the battlefield, it's a 1/1 Phyrexian Insect creature with Infect in addition to its other types.
+1: Create a 1/1 green Phyrexian Insect creature token with infect.
-1: Each player sacrifices a creature.
-5:You get an emblem with "At the beginning of each end step, if a creature died this turn, create a 1/1 green Phyrexian Insect creature token with infect."

IIW: Design a card for Modern Horizons 3
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contests & Games”