The CCC Mailbag - Edition #2!

Locked Previous topicNext topic
void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 124
Pronoun: he / him

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Well, since my first mailbag column was published half a year ago, Magic has seen a lot of major releases and a storyline climax is now on the horizon, as are some pretty prominent Universes Beyond... and, oh yeah, the game's 30th anniversary. I think the time is right to field some more custom card-related questions!

As with last time, reply to this thread or PM me (as a reply to the first post of this thread or with the subject line "CCC Mailbag") and I'll post my response to your question, crediting you by username, in an upcoming front-page article on the site. I look forward to hearing from this great CCC community!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

kwanyeegor-ii
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 1 year ago

What is one card from a 2022 set you think is well designed and why

What is one custom card from 2022 you saw you think is well designed and why
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 1 year ago

What are five non-evergreen mechanics you think are the most well-balanced in Magic?
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 1 year ago

Archetypes for any (or maybe each?) color pair that you wished were more explored?

Any idea how to deal with a - in a context of a set - conflict between differently centered shards or wedges? For instance a Uwg faction fighting the Gwu one.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 year ago

In your personal opinion, for the next Wedge-based set, should Wizards revisit one of the previous (Tarkir, and to a lesser extent, Ikoria), or should they try something new (like Capenna)?

Should a four-color focused (Nephilim quads) set be even attempted?
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Rithaniel

Post by Rithaniel » 1 year ago

So, I've personally been disappointed by WotC's storytelling throughout the years. They have very good worlds to explore, which are in turn bolstered by their great art, but a lot of the storytelling just feels like a kid smashing action figures together. For an example, Nicol Bolas's scheme was shallow and only worked because he had a ridiculous amount of brute force to utilize from the beginning. Meanwhile, literal years of storytelling were dedicated to building up the hype of Nicol Bolas and his scheme.

What about you? Do you disagree with my assessment? Do you have any pet peeves in regards to WotC's storytelling? What is your evaluation?
And a Few Quotes
Show
Hide
"Why are numbers beautiful? It's like asking why is Beethoven's Ninth Symphony beautiful. If you don't see why, someone can't tell you. I know numbers are beautiful. If they aren't beautiful, nothing is."
― Paul Erdős

“I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.”
― Stephen Jay Gould

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful and interesting questions - and keep an eye out for the mailbag article to come soon!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Post by void_nothing » 11 months ago

And here's the article! Thanks to @kwanyeegor-ii, @marioguy3, @Lorn Asbord Schutta, @Sporegorger_Dragon, and @Rithaniel!

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Custom Cards”