October CCL Round 2: Deflection

Locked Previous topicNext topic
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 1 year ago

CCL October Signups/Round 2
"Deflection"
Banner made from Captured by the Consulate, Torchling and Perplexing Chimera, by Wizards of the Coast and Tyler Jacobson, rk post, Tyler Jacobson, respectively
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!
Theme

It's Stack Interaction month here at the CCL. This month we will deal with this intricate zone that is one of defining parts of Magic's gameplay.

Challenge
Design a permanent card that can change the target(s) of a spell and/or ability.

Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Remeber to add rarity.
Anyone can enter this first round! Your submissions are due Monday, October 17th, 12:00 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (October 1st-8th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (October 8th-17th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due October 22nd)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (October 22nd–26th)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due October 30th)
  • Top 5 — Open to top 4 finishers (October 30th–November 2nd)
  • Top 5 Critiques (Due November 5th)
  • Final (November, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Last edited by Lorn Asbord Schutta 1 year ago, edited 3 times in total.

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 year ago

Segundo's Rapier -- 4
Legendary Artifact - Equipment
Equipped creature gets +2/+0 and has haste and vigilance as long as Segundo's Rapier is untapped.
T: Redirect all damage target creature blocking or blocked by equipped creature would deal this turn to another target creature.
2, T: Change the target of target spell or ability with a single target that targets equipped creature to another target creature.
Equip 2
Last edited by OneAndOnly 1 year ago, edited 6 times in total.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Disc of Destinies W
Enchantment Artifact (R)
Flash
W, T: You may choose new targets for target spell or ability that targets an artifact, enchantment, or artifact or enchantment spell or card not on the battlefield.
3W, Exile Disc of Destinies: Search your graveyard and/or library for an artifact or enchantment card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. If you searched your library this way, shuffle.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

CunningGabe

Post by CunningGabe » 1 year ago

Royal Retinue WU
Enchantment (R)
When Royal Retinue enters the battlefield, create two white 1/1 Human Noble creature tokens, then put a royalty counter on target creature you control.
Whenever a creature you control with a royalty counter on it becomes the target of a spell or ability, you may change the target of that spell or ability to another creature you control.
Winner of August '22 DCC and September '22 NCED

netn10
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by netn10 » 1 year ago

Conductor of Rage 1R
Artifact Creature - Construct (Rare)
Whenever Conductor of Rage is dealt damage, add that much W and/or U.
W, T: The next 2 damage that would be dealt to you or another target creature you control is dealt to Conductor of Rage instead.
U, T: Change a target of target spell or ability to Conductor of Rage.
0/4

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 1 year ago

Grudgenurser 1UB
Creature - Hag Warlock (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep or whenever an opponent casts a spell that targets you or a permanent of spell you control, create a 1/1 blue and black Elemental Horror creature token.
2, Sacrifice X creatures: Choose new targets for target spell that has one or more targets with mana value X or less. If Grudgenurser was sacrificed to activate this ability, instead you may gain control of that spell, then choose new targets for it.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

In theory the round is supposed to end about an hour ago, but I guess we are in need of at least a one-day extension.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 1 year ago

Naga Willbender 2U
Creature - Naga Wizard (Rare)
When Naga Willbender is turned face up, change the target of target spell or ability with a single target.
U, Sacrifice Naga Willbender: Change the target of target spell or ability with a single target.
Megamorph 4U
2/3
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

Aegis of Glory 2WU
Enchantment - Aura (R)
Enchant creature you control
Flash
When Aegis of Glory enters the battlefield, choose one:
• Change the target of target spell that targets only enchanted creature.
• Change the target of target spell that targets only a single creature to enchanted creature.
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 for each Aura enchanting it.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

This will be the last extension, as seven entries is a low number, but good enough. At 12:00 EST, October 17th this round will come to an end so if you plan on making a submission, this is your last call!

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

Post by Raptorchan » 1 year ago

Timely Hero 2ur
Creature — Human Warrior (R)
Flash
When Timely Hero enters the battlefield, you may change a target of target spell or ability to Timely Hero.
Whenever Timely Hero becomes the target of a spell, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
2/3

Lorn Asbord Schutta

And the round is closed!
Please provide critique for each other contestant and a top 3 from them.
The critique period will last till October 20th, 12:00 EST.

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 year ago

Reviews
Show
Hide
void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
Disc of Destinies W
Enchantment Artifact (R)
Flash
W, T: You may choose new targets for target spell or ability that targets an artifact, enchantment, or artifact or enchantment spell or card not on the battlefield.
3W, Exile Disc of Destinies: Search your graveyard and/or library for an artifact or enchantment card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. If you searched your library this way, shuffle.
I'm not certain what making this an enchantment artifact does more than having it be one or the other. Better flavor that ties it to either Theros or Kaldheim might help.

WW to protect one combo piece at flash speed is already pretty good; 3WW to tutor up the second half is a little over-costed, but being on the same bit seems a little much. While I like combo, I also like pieces that move the game ahead on their own, and this is only ever a combo-enabler.
CunningGabe wrote:
1 year ago
Royal Retinue WU
Enchantment (R)
When Royal Retinue enters the battlefield, create two white 1/1 Human Noble creature tokens, then put a royalty counter on target creature you control.
Whenever a creature you control with a royalty counter on it becomes the target of a spell or ability, you may change the target of that spell or ability to another creature you control.
It's not quite the Flagbearer ability, and suffers for it, because as it is it essentially reads as hexproof for the creater with the royalty counter until your other creatures die. It feels like the creatures created should be type Bodyguard (not that that type is used anymore, alas) since they're the ones most likely to take the hit ... but they're nobles, yet not necessarily royalty, so the flavor feels a little confused.
netn10 wrote:
1 year ago
Conductor of Rage 1R
Artifact Creature - Construct (Rare)
Whenever Conductor of Rage is dealt damage, add that much W and/or U.
W, T: The next 2 damage that would be dealt to you or another target creature you control is dealt to Conductor of Rage instead.
U, T: Change a target of target spell or ability to Conductor of Rage.
0/4
Red creature that adds WU is odd; especially as an artifact. You could probably have left off with just the first damage (and make it three damage; be daring). The first one is missing a "this turn". The second one is cheap enough to gum up games; any creature buff, Equipment, etc. are just going to get yoinked over to this thing. A little unfun.
Ink-Treader wrote:
1 year ago
Grudgenurser 1UB
Creature - Hag Warlock (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep or whenever an opponent casts a spell that targets you or a permanent of spell you control, create a 1/1 blue and black Elemental Horror creature token.
2, Sacrifice X creatures: Choose new targets for target spell that has one or more targets with mana value X or less. If Grudgenurser was sacrificed to activate this ability, instead you may gain control of that spell, then choose new targets for it.
Lacking P/T makes this difficult to rank successfully. I'm surprised that Hag isn't a deprecated card type, since it has a negative connotation toward women.

I'd reword the second ability to make it easier to parse --"target spell with mana value X or less that has one or more targets" -- or maybe just simplify it. The "self-sacrifice" clause is novel, though a little weak on this card; if it lasts a turn cycle, you'll have enough surplus creatures.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
1 year ago
Naga Willbender 2U
Creature - Naga Wizard (Rare)
When Naga Willbender is turned face up, change the target of target spell or ability with a single target.
U, Sacrifice Naga Willbender: Change the target of target spell or ability with a single target.
Megamorph 4U
2/3
Hmm. Willbender has an older sibling, I see. I like that you get to use the ability twice; morph (and its variants) suffer because being mostly one-shots (and without many ways of turning them facedown again). I'd be tempted to roll the morph and sacrifice abilities together ("When ~ is turned face up or sacrificed..."), which would reduce the text on the card.
slimytrout wrote:
1 year ago
Aegis of Glory 2WU
Enchantment - Aura (R)
Enchant creature you control
Flash
When Aegis of Glory enters the battlefield, choose one:
• Change the target of target spell that targets only enchanted creature.
• Change the target of target spell that targets only a single creature to enchanted creature.
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1 for each Aura enchanting it.
Pretty nice, although a little easy to misread: "Target spell that targets only enchanted creature" and "Target spell that targets only enchanted creatures" is quite a different set of possibilities! The aura buff is nice, and leads one to consider focusing on swerving Auras.
Raptorchan wrote:
1 year ago
Timely Hero 2ur
Creature — Human Warrior (R)
Flash
When Timely Hero enters the battlefield, you may change a target of target spell or ability to Timely Hero.
Whenever Timely Hero becomes the target of a spell, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
2/3
Really could be WR, and given a hefty dose of Theros flavor, it would fit right into that set.
Rankings
Show
Hide
1. RaptorChan's Timely Hero
2. CunningGabe's Royal Retinue
3. slimytrout's Aegis of Glory
4. kwanyeegor-ii's Naga Willbender
5. netn10's Conductor of Rage
6. void_nothing's Disk of Destinies
7. Ink-Treader's Grudgenurser
Last edited by OneAndOnly 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

Ink-Treader

Post by Ink-Treader » 1 year ago

OneAndOnly
Show
Hide
Seems fine. I like the idea of using a sword to deflect things. I will note that having an Equipment tap is unusual, and potentially has clarity issues in paper, but not a big deal here.
void_nothing
Show
Hide
Narrow protection piece that can be cashed in for another artifact or enchantment seems pretty good, especially since the tutor can be fully utilized at end of turn if you wish.
CunningGabe
Show
Hide
I like that this deals with the issue of being rendered useless once the becountered creature is gone by bringing in bodies (which of course also has synergy with the main effect)
netn10
Show
Hide
It's certainly interesting, but I think it's ultimately going to just be used as a combo piece with the first ability. Blasphemous Act comes to mind.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Ah, Mega-Willbender in more ways than one. This seems fine, considering the rates involved. I suspect it has more use as a on the board rattlesnake than morphed.
slimytrout
Show
Hide
Fun Aura. The second mode almost looks redundant to how one would expect to use this, but it can steal beneficial effects that way, so that's handy.
Raptorchan
Show
Hide
Flavor feels more white + red or blue than red + blue here, but mechanically it's fine.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. slimytrout
2. void_nothing
3. CunningGabe

CunningGabe

Post by CunningGabe » 1 year ago

Comments
Show
Hide
OneAndOnly
This is neat - it's a little hard to template cleanly, but the idea is clear and cool. It's a strong effect, but I like how you made the passive abilities turn off when it's tapped, and it's mana-intensive enough that I think it won't be oppressive.

void_nothing
I like that you found a target-changing ability that is (and feels) mono-white. One thing that makes the target-changing ability a bit oppressive here is that an opponent is not so likely to have two artifact/enchantment removal spells, unless this appears in a heavy artifact/enchantment themed set. (Though, to be fair, an artifact enchantment like this probably *does* appear in a heavy artifact/enchantment themed set.)

netn10
This is an interesting package that just feels slightly weird because a red card is adding white and blue mana. There's nothing "wrong" with it - red does these sort of mana generation effects - it just feels off. Setting that aside though, I like how you tied damage redirection and spell redirection into a single card in a way that feels natural.

Ink-Treader
I like how the Grudgenurser's ability is upgraded if she is one of the creatures you sacrifice, but the upside of gaining control of the spell seems like it would usually be relatively minor if you've already picked the targets. I guess sometimes you'd get an extra card draw or scry or something. In any case, this is an interesting, innovative design.

kwanyeegor-ii
This is a straightforward riff on Willbender, but it's a nice riff.

slimytrout
I love the flavor of this, and how the Aura still does something nice even after the initial target change.

Raptorchan
This is fun, and I like how it encourages a different play pattern from the current crop of "spells matter" cards. The only thing I don't like about it is that I can see many opponents making a mistake when they try to burn this creature - they might try to deal the current toughness in damage, forgetting that it will get a +1/+1 counter that will save it. But that's a very minor quibble.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. slimytrout
2. RaptorChan
3. OneAndOnly
Winner of August '22 DCC and September '22 NCED

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Less then a day left for critiques! If you cannot make critiques for any reason, please choose a top 3 at least!

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 1 year ago

Just top 3

1 raptorchan
2 cunninggabe
3 ink-treaer
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

Raptorchan
Beautiful Liar

Post by Raptorchan » 1 year ago

Crits
Show
Hide
OneAndOnly
Such abilities look better on paper than in the game - if creature can redirect abilities that target it, usually no one is going to do so. So it's more ike ward, but with extra steps.

Void_nothing
Flash justifies first ability and the second makes it actually usable.

CunningGabe
This is a fun use of flagbearer-like mechanic. Token nobles is also a nice touch.

netn10
Spellskite proved to be a nice usable card, so I guess this does too. But I feel like it does a bit too much.

Ink-Treader
A bit wordy and complicated, but whatever. Maybe it should be legendary?

Kwanyeegor-ii
I wonder how can you use two abilities at the same time. You probably can't and, just like with OneAndOnly's entry, it can lead to unfun gameplay.

Slimytrout
Don't see any issues besides being wordy.
Show
Hide
1. Slimytrout
2. CunningGabe
3. Void_nothing

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

T3:

1. kwanyeegor-ii
2. Raptorchan
3. CunningGabe

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Critiques
Show
Hide
OneAndOnly - I like this card because it just makes flavor sense: A rapier is a well-known parrying sword. Get a kind of Spanish Medieval swashbuckling (like El Cid) feel from this. Tapping Equipments can get complicated to track but this is justified.

CunningGabe - Nice flavor and function. Similar to the Apocalypse Flagbearers basically. Pretty strong. Overall a fine design, no real notes.

netn10 - Very complicated, but very innovative. My mind is kind of reeling from the potential combos.

Ink-Treader - Missing p/t! An interesting engine otherwise. Love the "If Grudgenurser was sacrificed this way" clause, that's awesome design space.

kwanyeegor-ii - Feels like a Willbender and a Tarkir card alright. I like the idea of always getting at least one redirect out of it, and potentially two. Just overall pretty cool.

slimytrout - Awesome. Totally amazing design. So versatile and it makes so much sense. Just feels great. Love it.

Raptorchan - Cool! Similar to slimytrout's design in a way and pretty satisfying. Not sure if the colors are QUITE right though? Feels like it almost needs white.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. slimytrout
2. OneAndOnly
3. netn10
Actually loved every entry this round.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Lorn Asbord Schutta

The round is closed!
The following contestants advance to another round:
Raptorchan
CunningGabe
slimytrout
Henlock
Ink-Treader
kwanyeegor-ii
void_nothing
OneAndOnly
The next round will be posted soon.
Thanks to all for participation and patience.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”