September CCL Round 1: The Detective

Locked Previous topicNext topic
Lorn Asbord Schutta
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lorn Asbord Schutta » 1 year ago

CCL September Signups/Round 1
"The Detective"
Eloise, Nephalia Sleuth and Lonis, Cryptozoologist, by Wizards of the Coast and Jarel Threat, Andrew Mar, respectively.
Welcome to the Card Creation League! Everyone is free to participate in either or both of the first two rounds. Come join us!
Theme

It's Mystery Stroy month here at the CCL. This month we will follow characters of contestants' design through they journey to uncover some thrilling secrets.

Challenge
Design a Legendary Creature card with a two- or three-color color identity that mentions keyword action "Investigate" in its rules text.
Bear in mind that this character will be used in the future rounds, both in terms of flavour and mechanics.

Clarifications
Show
Hide
  • Remember that color identity encompasses more then just card's color(s); a mono-colored card with an activated ability having a cost of different color passes the challange, while three-colored card having all five color symbols in its rules text does not; you can read more about color identity here.
  • Mentioning "investigate" in a rules text might mean either straight up investigating, or an ability or replacement effect that cares about investigating; notably, both caring about clue tokens without mentioning investigate and having "Investigate" as a part of card's name fail to meet the challange; you can read more about Investigate here.
  • Remeber to add rarity.
Anyone can enter this first round! Your submissions are due Friday, September 9th, 12:00 EST.
Schedule
  • Round 1 — Open to Everyone (September 1st-10th)
  • Round 2 — Open to Everyone (September 10th-19th)
  • Rounds 1 and 2 Critiques (Due September 22nd)
  • Top 8 — Open to top 8 finishers (September 22nd–25th)
  • Top 8 Critiques (Due September 28th)
  • Top 5 — Open to top 5 finishers (September 30th–October 2nd)
  • Top 5 Critiques (Due October 5th)
  • Final (October, winner determined by public poll)
Please note: For this month we will continue asking first and second round contestants to evaluate seven other contestants during the critique and top 3 period, in order to increase the total number of evaluations each contestant gets.
Last edited by Lorn Asbord Schutta 1 year ago, edited 3 times in total.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Varitin, the Trilling Heron 2G
Legendary Creature - Human Wizard (R)
You and legendary permanents you control have ward 1.
Whenever a legendary permanent or player becomes the target of a spell, investigate.
2W: Target Clue you control becomes a copy of target nonland permanent card in your graveyard with mana value 3 or less until end of turn. It gains haste until end of turn.
"Through me, Sigarda chronicles a better era."
2/2
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 year ago

withdrawn
Last edited by OneAndOnly 1 year ago, edited 3 times in total.

kwanyeegor-ii
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 1 year ago

Dylzian, Idea Drinker 3BB
Legendary Creature - Nightmare Vampire (Rare)
At the beginning of each upkeep, investigate and you lose 1 life
Whenever you sacrifice a Clue, you may pay UR. If you do, tap up to one target permanent, then Dylzian deals 2 damage to any target
4/4
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

netn10

Post by netn10 » 1 year ago

Trigori and Sirislav of the Bureau WUUB
Legendary Creature - Human Vedalken Advisor (Mythic)
Hexproof
Whenever you draw a card or discard a card, investigate.
Whenever you sacrifice a clue, detain target nonland permanent.
The Azorius denies their existence and the Dimir denies their relationship so the Bureau of Interplanar Defense would solve crimes too hard to explain to the masses.
1/1

MonoRedMage
Pronoun: they / them

Post by MonoRedMage » 1 year ago

Ahron, Understanding Barkeep 1R
Legendary Creature - Human Citizen {R}
Prowess, protection from Soldiers
Your opponents can't investigate.
2W: Exile another target tapped creature you control. Return it to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of your next turn's end step. When you do, investigate.
"Second room on the left. Here's your key. I swear no one will come knocking."
1/2

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Visibility bump.
We are getting to the half of the time for this round. If you are interested in taking a part, remember: waiting to the very last moment is a easy way to miss the deadline.

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 1 year ago

Bornolio, Shaper of Identities
Legendary Creature - Shapeshifter (Mythic Rare)
Haste, Menace
When Bornolio, Shaper of Identities enters the battlefield or at the beginning of your upkeep, investigate.
Whenever you sacrifice an artifact token, you may have Bornolio, Shaper of Identities become a copy of any creature on the battlefield, in any graveyard, or in exile, except it gains this ability.
5/5
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

Mintha, Chief of the Watch 1WU
Legendary Creature — Human Soldier (R)
Flash
When Mintha, Chief of the Watch enters the battlefield, investigate.
Whenever you sacrifice a Clue, counter target spell unless its controller pays 1.
2/3

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Another bump.
Remember, that the round closes at 12:00 EST, not 23:59 EST, unlike this month's MCC round 1, so at the time of posting there are only two days left! Do not miss your chance to participate.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

Well, we have a peculiar situation here. At the time of writing this post, there are only 6 entries. That is a little below my expectations.
We could however proceed with just only 7 entries. For now, at each 12:00 EST onwards, I will make a check - should there be seven or more (every one would be thankful for that!) entries, the round will close, otherwise it will be left open for another 24 hours. I hope this predicament will end soon, but if it would not, then I will try to find another solution.

CunningGabe

Post by CunningGabe » 1 year ago

Okay, let me help out :)

Gorlinax, Private Eye 1GUB
Legendary Creature - Beholder (M)
All-Seeing -- Whenever an opponent draws a card, you may pay 1U. If you do, Investigate.
Suspicious Gaze -- 1B, sacrifice X Clues: Target creature gets -X/-X until end of turn.
On Constant Watch -- Whenever you sacrifice a Clue, you may pay 1G. If you do, untap Gorlinax and put a +1/+1 counter on it.
3/3
Winner of August '22 DCC and September '22 NCED

Lorn Asbord Schutta

And so the round 1 is closed.
Please provide critiques for each other contestant and select a top 3 from them.
Should the round 2 be as scarcely populated as this one, the round 3 will be a top 6, instead of top 8.

slimytrout

Post by slimytrout » 1 year ago

void_nothing
Show
Hide
A few minor flavor quibbles, but neither is a big deal: a bit odd to actually call someone a heron if they're a human, and also a wizard isn't the most natural class for what seems more like a bard (shaman, rogue, or just bard all make more sense). Also a bit hard to grok what's going on here, with a lot of moving pieces (including the deceptive fact that you investigate when an opponent points an Anguished Unmaking at, say, a different opponent's commander), but it's still a cool package.
kwanyeegor-ii
Show
Hide
Somehow it feels like this should have menace or something, although I really can't put my finger on why I feel that way since it's already quite strong. Maybe it's because I also think it should be mythic, given how much it will dominate a game of limited if you can start throwing shocks around.
netn10
Show
Hide
It just keeps generating clues for itself? I don't really like things that go "infinite" with just themselves, and the addition of hexproof makes it even more of a pain, although I admit a 4-mana 1/1 isn't exactly a threatening body.
MonoRedMage
Show
Hide
Not sure I quite get the prowess part, but otherwise it's a flavorful package. I do wish the activated ability were templated a little more elegantly though -- "your next turn's end step" is fairly clunky.
marioguy3
Show
Hide
There are some fun ideas here, but I have a few issues: 1) once you have a 5/5 menace that investigates every turn, do you really need to be able to change it into other creatures and 2) I don't like the idea that it can transform into creatures in exile, so your opponent has no way of removing the targeted card.
CunningGabe
Show
Hide
Pun is a groaner for sure. My only complaint is that "On constant watch" should say "one or more clues" so that "suspicious gaze" can't suddenly put a bunch of counters on Gorlinax
T3
Show
Hide
1. CunningGabe
2. MonoRedMage
3. void_nothing

CunningGabe

Post by CunningGabe » 1 year ago

Critiques
Show
Hide
void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
Whenever a legendary permanent or player becomes the target of a spell, investigate.
2W: Target Clue you control becomes a copy of target nonland permanent card in your graveyard with mana value 3 or less until end of turn. It gains haste until end of turn.
2/2
I love the name "Trilling Heron"! This is neat, but I don't really understand the flavor of the 2W ability. Maybe this is a case where giving a name to the ability in italics would help make the flavor cohesive.
kwanyeegor-ii wrote:
1 year ago
Dylzian, Idea Drinker 3BB
Legendary Creature - Nightmare Vampire (Rare)
At the beginning of each upkeep, investigate and you lose 1 life
Whenever you sacrifice a Clue, you may pay UR. If you do, tap up to one target permanent, then Dylzian deals 2 damage to any target
4/4
I like this mechanically, but the flavor is a bit of a miss for me. It doesn't feel like a Vampire, and it doesn't particularly feel like an Idea Drinker either. Still, turning all of your Clues into Fire and Ice is cool.
netn10 wrote:
1 year ago
Hexproof
The Azorius denies their existence and the Dimir denies their relationship so the Bureau of Interplanar Defense would solve crimes too hard to explain to the masses.
1/1
I love the flavor here. Making it a 1/1 hexproof for a council in the shadows is perfect, and this is an Esper control deck's dream.
MonoRedMage wrote:
1 year ago
2W: Exile another target tapped creature you control. Return it to the battlefield under its owner's control at the beginning of your next turn's end step. When you do, investigate.
1/2
I love everything about this - Protection from Soldiers, being able to hide away your creature. I think this is a slam dunk. The only thing that feels a little funny to me is Prowess.
marioguy3 wrote:
1 year ago
Haste, Menace
When Bornolio, Shaper of Identities enters the battlefield or at the beginning of your upkeep, investigate.
Whenever you sacrifice an artifact token, you may have Bornolio, Shaper of Identities become a copy of any creature on the battlefield, in any graveyard, or in exile, except it gains this ability.
5/5
This is a nice mega-shapeshifter, and even the base stats make it a serious threat. It would be fun to build a deck around this; I can imagine having a bunch of "toolbox" creatures that you try to fill your yard with, and bonus points if there is a way to exile them.
slimytrout wrote:
1 year ago
Flash
Whenever you sacrifice a Clue, counter target spell unless its controller pays 1.
2/3
This is neat - I like how it sort of has "Kicker 2: Draw a card and force spike something".
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. MonoRedMage
2. netn10
3. slimytrout
Winner of August '22 DCC and September '22 NCED

marioguy3

Post by marioguy3 » 1 year ago

slimytrout: This seems like nice investigate commander with a "kick" to the boosting of investigate. Seems like a fair card to play. Flicker loves this type of card, and artifact tokens are generally fun.

MonoRedMage: The odd part of this card is that it doesn't always stop clue token making, just "investigating", but it is a unique design anyway. The flicker mode seems quite strong.

netn10: This goes infinite with a ham sandwich I think. This is one of those abilities that needs to be limited to once a turn, which is still cool. Making this a 2/2 hexproof for balancing purposes is my idea.

void_nothing: I like that this card gets to investigate on any target, not just an opponent's target, although being able to target your own stuff and investigate might be a bit too powerful.

kwanyeegor-ii: This is a very simple and sweet investigate card that fits within all the colors. It makes sense that it cost 1 life to investigate for mono-black.

CunningGabe: Well, there definitely is a lot going on. I like that the opponent draw card mode actually requires a payment from you instead of the opposite to investigate. The flavor italics make a lot of sense.

top 3:
3rd place: slimytrout
2nd place: kwanyeegor-ii
1st place: Cunning Gabe
The summer is hot. The sum of sun and hot equals summer.

kwanyeegor-ii

Post by kwanyeegor-ii » 1 year ago

crits
Show
Hide
void_nothing wrote:
1 year ago
2/2
Interesting build around card and plenty of Innistrad flavor but a little over complex
netn10 wrote:
1 year ago
Hexproof
1/1
I love the flavor but the first ability might be too strong of an engine
MonoRedMage wrote:
1 year ago
1/2
Good but slow blink card and the flavor is perfect
marioguy3 wrote:
1 year ago
Haste, Menace
5/5
The copying ability looks really fun but I don't see this card being black, mostly just izzet colors
slimytrout wrote:
1 year ago
Flash
2/3
nice and well designed payoff for clues but kind of generic and that triggered ability seems like it could be annyoying
CunningGabe wrote:
1 year ago
Okay, let me help out :)

Gorlinax, Private Eye 1GUB
Legendary Creature - Beholder (M)
All-Seeing -- Whenever an opponent draws a card, you may pay 1U. If you do, Investigate.
Suspicious Gaze -- 1B, sacrifice X Clues: Target creature gets -X/-X until end of turn.
On Constant Watch -- Whenever you sacrifice a Clue, you may pay 1G. If you do, untap Gorlinax and put a +1/+1 counter on it.
3/3
this one is just perfect and i love all the synergy
Show
Hide
1 cunninggabe
2 monoredmage
3 netn10
畫龍點睛

I'm a simple Magic player since several years ago from China. Now I live in New Jersey.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

Critiques
Show
Hide
kwanyeegor-ii - Neat idea to make the color identity UBR and to have that Fire // Ice-type ability. Just as a minor point, the second triggered ability should probably be reflexive ("when you do...") - otherwise this is pretty nice; I like the possibility of drawing every turn.

netn10 - Awesome and dripping with flavor. This feels like an Azorius/Dimir collab, and normally I'm not that into guild crossover custom designs but this just feels right. The p/t being so small is a bit off but probably necessary to balance out the sheer power of the investigate ability.

MonoRedMage - Another flavor home run, but this one's a bit cluttered imho. Still, lots of nice ideas here, and it's pretty creative.

marioguy3 - All I can think about that name is "I am Bornolio, I need TP for my bunghole". Not really sure where the red comes in here colorwise - or maybe the black? It feels like it has one too many colors - and the size and keywords of the base body are kind of at odds with a "becomes a copy" ability.

slimytrout - Nice design. Very simple, very effective payoff (although possibly very game-stalling).

CunningGabe - Love this. Absolutely no notes even though it's a very self-feeding engine. Would love to see this in a D&D crossover set.
Top 3
Show
Hide
1. CunningGabe
2. slimytrout
3. netn10
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Lorn Asbord Schutta

The critique period for both sign-up rounds will last to the 22nd September 12:00 EST, Thursday
Due to number of participants the round 3 will be top 6.

Lorn Asbord Schutta

The critique period is closed. Thanks to all participants.

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Contest Archives”